iPads in the Parks as cameras

ryels

Mouseketeer
We were in WDW for 9 days last month and I witnessed something that I had not seen at WDW before.

I was truly amazed at how many people were carrying around their iPads and using them as cameras. (I'm not criticizing. It's your iPad; do you what you want with it!)

But I have to say, it surprised me. They just seem so bulky to lug around and use as a camera. And it made me nervous to think about somebody dropping it while they were trying to take a picture. It could be a pretty expensive mistake!

I guess I'm just kind of mystified by the whole phenomenon. Am I missing something? Do they make good cameras? Just genuinely curious.

Do they make good cameras?

Good, yes.
Convenient, no.
Economical, no.

And, they can be very distracting to other guests due to their
large bright image screen in darker attractions.

And, their large frame can often block the view of other guests.

We will be bringing the Ipad, for the disney experience app (doesn't have it on my android), but I made my husband promise to NOT take pictures with it.

We will be bringing the Ipad, for the disney experience app (doesn't have it on my android), but I made my husband promise to NOT take pictures with it.

Makes sense. I did use the app on my smartphone quite a bit while we were there. The wifi in the parks was a little flaky, and the app sometimes wouldn't recognize where I was. But, overall, the app was really handy for figuring out wait times without having to run all the way across the park.

I can't even tell you how many of my pictures were ruined by someone sticking an iPad in the way :rotfl: It always surprises me how many people use them because they seems really inconvenient and difficult to use as cameras.

And, their large frame can often block the view of other guests.

Anyone who holds that thing up blocking my view of a parade or show is going to get a tap on the shoulder. I have seen this at school functions and it is phenomenally rude. I can't even imagine why people do the things they do.

And the picture quality with any phone camera of any sort is terrible.

The cheapest camera with an adjustable lens is miles ahead of anything with the tiny glass ball.

I think its more of people using their ipads for apps with the added benefit of it doubling as a camera.

And the most expensive ipad is way cheaper than higher end cameras.

Those things always block someone's view and quite frankly, the quality is horrendous.

The cheapest camera with an adjustable lens is miles ahead of anything with the tiny glass ball.

Used to be true.
Not so much anymore, especially with the newer Apple products.

Check HERE.

And, iPhone 5 goes to Epcot from WDWMagic.com HERE.

People can carry a full size desktop computer into the parks if they want. I honestly don't care. But as soon as they hoist it up in the air and block my view, I care. And I'm going to say something.

My Ipad is a lousy camera, the picture quality mostly sucks. It is awkward to handle as a camera. And if you hold up an Ipad it completely blocks the view of those behind you. I do not use my Ipad for photos, I would consider it rude to be holding it up in a crowd, too.

We just got back on the 4 and I am not kidding there are so many now!! It is so very annoying when they are in front of you.

I wonder if the new iPad minis will start making appearances as frequently now. If you're the type who brings the iPad into the park, it would make sense to get a mini just for the sake of traveling with it. Plus it would be better for those of us who get annoyed with them blocking the views!

Can you take a good picture with an iPad? Yes.
Is the Ipad a good camera? No.
I think even the latest iPad is still using a 1/4" 5MP sensor. Most point and shoot cameras have a sensor around 3 times bigger. There is no comparison in quality.
Also the iPad has a fixed lens, so no zooming. Really no point in comparing it to a camera…
It would surprise me to see people lugging an iPad around for taking pictures. I would think it might be more they just happened to be using it and there was a picture they wanted to take.
Frankly I can't imagine lugging one of those things into a park regardless of an app or not. Way too big. However the new minis would be much better suited, so probably see those around a lot more. I think they have the same small camera sensor though so they still wouldn't be a very good camera.

Anyone who holds that thing up blocking my view of a parade or show is going to get a tap on the shoulder. I have seen this at school functions and it is phenomenally rude. I can't even imagine why people do the things they do.

They do things like that because society as a whole is self-entitled and people think only of themselves. No thought is given to how one's actions might affect those around them. :sad2:

Cheshire Figment said:

IMG_1851.JPG

I was actually really suprised of how great my iPhone 4s pics turned out last Christmas at DLR... I do not own a very expensive camera, but I have two "normal" compact 10 and 12 megapixel cameras, and my iphone took way better photos at the parade and WOC :)

(But the phone/ipad camera is of course not as good as most cameras that cost more than $200 - I just think that the phone is handy, I have it all the time and I was very happy about the pictures)

Wouldn't bother taking my iPad with me... It's too big to take to the parks, imo ;)

I was actually really suprised of how great my iPhone 4s pics turned out last Christmas at DLR... I do not own a very expensive camera, but I have two "normal" compact 10 and 12 megapixel cameras, and my iphone took way better photos at the parade and WOC :)

(But the phone/ipad camera is of course not as good as most cameras that cost more than $200 - I just think that the phone is handy, I have it all the time and I was very happy about the pictures)

Wouldn't bother taking my iPad with me... It's too big to take to the parks, imo ;)

There are some decent phone cameras. I betting your 4s lens is brighter and lets more light in than your cheap cameras.

was in Vegas this past fourth of July and there were tons of people lugging them around as cameras. I just didn't get it. I got nervous when my husband was using his phone to take pics from the effiel tower.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter