iPads in the Parks as cameras

I don't think iPads are big at all. :confused3 My iPad pops into my handbag nicely. My camera, on the other hand, needs to go into a camera case and so if I brought that to the park, I'd end up carrying a handbag plus a camera bag.

It was great having my iPad at the parks in September. We could facetime the kids back home without having to be back at our hotel by 3/4PM, we could pull up our adrs without having to make a separate note of the confirmation numbers, we could check menus online and yes, we could take photos......
I think the direction of this thread is when folks hold the tablet up in the air, camera style. With that use, the large size of the tablet, held end to end to take a photo (like holding up a small newspaper), may easily block the view of a person behind the tablet holder. When in your handbag, like a camera bag, (or any other bag close to your person), it will not block the view of anyone. And when used away from others, like maybe sitting on a bench or in your resort room, doing facetime, checking DR's, menus, ets, it is not going to block others' view. However, when held up to take photos, the table t can easily block the view of others behind you.

Taking photos is the problem.

Little off topic but, with the parks having wifi now its going to get alot worse, they instantly want to update thier status with pictures, posts, etc... People feel they have to stay connected to the outside world and post everytime they burp on facebook, twitter etc... When I am there the last thing I want to bother with is facebook, twitter etc.. I can do all that when I get back to the resort or home and look at the pictures I have taken. with a normal camera. NO OFFENSE to those who use Ipads properly!

I would never use my iPad for Disney pictures! Besides it being so big to carry around, the picture quality is atrocious!

I didn't really notice people with ipads at Disney, but this summer at my cousin's swim meet, there was a father who was recording his daughter swimming on his ipad right next to the water. He was so focused on the screen that he didn't see the chair he was about to walk into. Needless to say, he fell and the ipad made a nice plunk into the pool :headache:

I have to add my voice to the comments about ipads blocking people's views. I spent the last two weeks of October at Disney, and I couldn't believe how many people blocked my opportunity for a good shot with their great big ipads. I'm usually a "get-along" kinda gal, but I made several comments to my husband about how they block other people's views, and he knew I was very serious because I usually don't criticize other people's opportunities to enjoy the magic. I usually say "to each their own", but in this instance I feel it is too much.:eek:

Put them away and use a smaller camera!:headache:

And the picture quality with any phone camera of any sort is terrible.

The cheapest camera with an adjustable lens is miles ahead of anything with the tiny glass ball.

Hey Cheshire. :wave2: Actually the images are very good now with the newer versions and are as good if not better than a low end camera. The zoom is limited though and it is bulky to carry everywhere. With that said, I don't see the benefit of using a tablet as a camera for vacations.

I have an ipad and would not carry it everywhere. I prefer to take pictures with my DSL. And actually enjoy being able to use all of the functions and exposure settings.

And the picture quality with any phone camera of any sort is terrible.

The cheapest camera with an adjustable lens is miles ahead of anything with the tiny glass ball.

Not true anymore - I should know as I work for a micro optics company that makes lenses and miniature camera parts for cell phone companies, medical field, DoD, etc.

I noticed all the iPads in the parks this Sept too and thought that it was very strange. There were a few pics I was blocked from getting because of the iPad in the air, and the pics they were taking didn't look so great to me. I take my smallest camera to the parks (even my dSLR is just too much to deal with when also dealing with a toddler), and I purchased an iPod Touch just before my Sept trip because I didn't want to drag around my iPad if I needed it to keep DD entertained during meals or long waits for shows. We didn't end up using the iPod much, but it never occurred to me to use it for pics, and the internet signal was so very bad that it was not even worth using it for the Disney apps. The few times I used the Disney apps, I used my Android phone and 3G/4G service. I did take daily pics of DD with my phone so I could immediately send them to DH and the grandparents, but everything else was with my camera.
Most iPads I saw had no protective cover at all, and that is just too expensive a chance to take!

We're at WDW right now, and I've been astounded by the people walking around with their iPads. I see a lot of people apparently making videos with them, because they're walking around and holding them up like they're filming. The crazy part is that they're in completely uninteresting parts of the parks. The first guy I saw doing it was on the second floor of the Land pavillion, near the entrance. I started looking and realized people were doing it all over.

Most of the people I've seen doing it seem to speaking other languages. It makes a little more sense for people from other countries, since people in other parts of the world tend to (generally speaking) have less square footage in their houses than those in the USA. It makes more sense to me to want your equipment to do double duty if you don't have a lot of extra space in your house.

They may be using the panorama photo option.

I noticed all the iPads in the parks this Sept too and thought that it was very strange. There were a few pics I was blocked from getting because of the iPad in the air, and the pics they were taking didn't look so great to me. I take my smallest camera to the parks (even my dSLR is just too much to deal with when also dealing with a toddler), and I purchased an iPod Touch just before my Sept trip because I didn't want to drag around my iPad if I needed it to keep DD entertained during meals or long waits for shows. We didn't end up using the iPod much, but it never occurred to me to use it for pics, and the internet signal was so very bad that it was not even worth using it for the Disney apps. The few times I used the Disney apps, I used my Android phone and 3G/4G service. I did take daily pics of DD with my phone so I could immediately send them to DH and the grandparents, but everything else was with my camera.
Most iPads I saw had no protective cover at all, and that is just too expensive a chance to take!

My most shocking use of an ipad as a camera was the person holding it over the railing at the Grand Canyon. I barely did that with my camera and when I did, I MADE SURE the strap was on my wrist EVERY TIME I did! Maybe I'm just a clumsy person, but I can't imagine holding that much money over that much rock and assuming that everything will turn out OK!

Of course, that wasn't the stupidest thing we saw people doing at the Grand Canyon and at least this person wasn't risking his life!:confused:

I lugged my iPad around (in a bulky protective case) for 2 days over the course of the trip when we were switching resorts because I didn't want to leave it in the car, and the only thing I took it out for was when DS needed a distraction in line. Otherwise, I was happy to leave it in the safe at the resort! I can't even imagine choosing to carry that around all day (especially with all the stuff I am carrying for DS in my backpack), and especially not using it as a camera. It's so bulky and takes terrible pictures! I did see a lot of other people doing this, though, and it really baffles me. At one of the Eat to the Beat shows I pointed out someone recording a portion of the show on an iPad to DH who thought it was so hilarious that he took a picture.

On our last trip, someone with a huge, professional SLR stood in front of us. He spent the whole parade holding the camera over his head taking crowd shots, using an obnoxiously bright flash and being a nuisance. I missed a good part of the parade.

My point is, annoying is annoying, it has nothing to do with using a tablet for a camera in the park. I always bring mine in to the park and I do take pictures where appropriate (usually snapshots or character shots) and I have NEVER head held it over my head during a show or performance.

We were in WDW for 9 days last month and I witnessed something that I had not seen at WDW before.

I was truly amazed at how many people were carrying around their iPads and using them as cameras. (I'm not criticizing. It's your iPad; do you what you want with it!)

But I have to say, it surprised me. They just seem so bulky to lug around and use as a camera. And it made me nervous to think about somebody dropping it while they were trying to take a picture. It could be a pretty expensive mistake!

I guess I'm just kind of mystified by the whole phenomenon. Am I missing something? Do they make good cameras? Just genuinely curious.

I noticed them last year too - perhaps more so than this year. Maybe I just got over seeing them so much and stopped noticing.

I don't really care what people use to take their pictures with, but what does surprise me regarding the size and design is that so many folk don't want to take a 'big' DSLR because it's bulky to carry around. Yet these have good quality comfortable neck straps and are ergonomically designed to grip with ease and comfort. I

Anyone who holds that thing up blocking my view of a parade or show is going to get a tap on the shoulder. I have seen this at school functions and it is phenomenally rude. I can't even imagine why people do the things they do.

Another reason to take a decent camera rather than an iPad if you want to carry something around that size! At least with a camera you tend to hold it close to your face or at least close to your person without the need to hold it up in the air at arms length ......... I hear ya!!!

On our last trip, someone with a huge, professional SLR stood in front of us. He spent the whole parade holding the camera over his head taking crowd shots, using an obnoxiously bright flash and being a nuisance. I missed a good part of the parade.

My point is, annoying is annoying, it has nothing to do with using a tablet for a camera in the park. I always bring mine in to the park and I do take pictures where appropriate (usually snapshots or character shots) and I have NEVER head held it over my head during a show or performance.

Actually it does have to do with using a tablet. It's far more unusual seeing someone holding a DSLR overhead. In fact, that would be hard to do for very long just because of its weight.

But mostly it has to do with the sheer size of the device and how much of a person's field of vision it blocks.

Actually it does have to do with using a tablet. It's far more unusual seeing someone holding a DSLR overhead. In fact, that would be hard to do for very long just because of its weight.

But mostly it has to do with the sheer size of the device and how much of a person's field of vision it blocks.

We posted at the same time. I see (once again) we have similar views :thumbsup2

I totally agree with you. A rude person will be rude regardless of what they're using.

We posted at the same time. I see (once again) we have similar views :thumbsup2

It's funny, but I'm considering bringing a 3 pound lens with me on our upcoming trip. My camera strap is so comfortable I wouldn't have any problem carrying it around the parks. But I would NEVER carry a tablet with me. And I won't be blocking anyone's view, as it is always at my side or up to my eye.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter