iPads in the Parks as cameras

Discussion in 'Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies' started by ryels, Nov 7, 2012.

1. 2Tiggies

2Tiggies <font color=blue>I am subscribing to this thread j

I hauled around a 20lb camera bag with me, with a tripod attached many of the days - okay it weighed considerably less with the camera being in my hand on the neck strap 90% of the time :lmao: The point is, a camera is designed to be portable and to carry around with you for long periods of time. It also goes without saying that even a standard compact camera is going to yield better results than using an iPad and far less hassle, not to mention a much lower rating on the scale of Nuisance, lol.

As per my earlier post, this trip I had no issues with being annoyed by people using iPads. But like you and many others, I would never even consider it!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. mom2rtk

mom2rtk My, what red cheeks you have, Santa!

Just in the few photos of yours I saw, I can tell it was worth it. :goodvibes

4. 2Tiggies

:hug: That means a LOT to me, coming from you

I am forcing myself to be brave and starting to post some now :)

5. stindall

stindall Congress Tart

Exactly. If someone is holding an iphone up or a regular camera up, it's likely that they can get a shot quicker than fumbling with a big ipad. Plus it's a lot smarter using something that is smaller, and takes better pictures...

6. mom2rtk

Well, honestly, I'm not really concerned with whether they get good photos. If they are holding something up over their head to take a photo, I just want it to be as small as possible. And really photos aren't as big a deal as video. If your kid is walking across the stage at graduation and you want to take a quick photo, I'm fine with it. But hold that thing up in front of me for the entire ceremony (or show at Disney) and we have a problem.

If I walk up and stand behind someone at a parade who is 8 feet tall, then too bad for me for standing there. But if I walk up and stand behind someone my size who THEN holds their rather large device up in front of me, then shame on them.

7. mom2rtk

No forcing needed. Post away! Can't wait to see!

8. stindall

stindall Congress Tart

I wasn't trying to relate better photos with the huge-ness problem; But I have to admit I do get a little concerned when people don't use a real camera for any photos, even if they use Photopass.

9. wdw&sonny

wdw&sonny DIS Veteran

What's next? A Brazilian tour group riding in scooters with kids on their shoulders holding up iPADs and taking photos.:rotfl2:

10. 2Tiggies

Please .... don't tempt fate or put ideas out on a public message board! :scared1: :rotfl:

11. mom2rtk

Some people just don't care about photos. Hard for me to grasp :lmao: but true! Bottom line though is that if the photo is important to you, then have a reliable means of taking it yourself. I know nothing about how phones and ipads do quality wise taking photos because I don't use mine for that. But I do still remember the thread about the mom who was heartbroken that when they got through the long line to see Rapunzel, the photopoass person's camera had a malfunction and her phone was dead. I guess that could happen with any camera though. Unless you carry 3 batteries. I've.... heard.....that some people do that. :rolleyes1

12. seashoreCM

seashoreCM All around nice guy.

OT: Reminds me of my last trip to the (Ringling) circus where for one scene there was a line of performers going all the way around the ring controlling Segway scooters with their feet only and either waving their arms or holding things overhead using their arms.

I can foresee altercations at Disney resulting in a dropped iPad.

13. boBQuincy

boBQuincy <font color=green>I am not carrying three pods<br>

THREE batteries? Who could ever take that many photos in one day? :rolleyes1

14. mom2rtk

Well, didn't say I use them all. ;)

My generics don't hold a charge as long. So I usually start with my OEM battery but have 2 backups.

I will say the T2i seems to get more shots from the battery than my Xsi ever did. I think that one got me in the habit of making sure I had at least 2 on me every day.

15. 2Tiggies

I always carry two. Although I've rarely needed to change the battery (since I always have one fully charged in the morning before we leave) the most rewarding benefit of having that spare was waiting in a character line for 25 minutes and overhearing the Dad behind us apologizing to the kids that he'd forgotten to put the battery from the charger into the camera. I turned and saw the tears filling his wife's eyes :worried:

A glance at his camera confirmed it was the same as mine - so I loaned him a battery for his shots of his kids and he returned it to me after. That to me was worth carrying the spare more than anything!

16. mom2rtk

That's awesome! :thumbsup2

I got to do the same thing at my nephew's wedding. I was shooting as a favor to my sister when one of the 2 official wedding photographers came to me in a panic because her battery was dead. Thankfully her camera model was the same as mine and I got to save the day. :goodvibes

17. 2Tiggies

It was just uncanny that we had the identical cameras and they were right behind us! Had there been just one family between us I wouldn't have heard then and it would never have happened. Although a seemingly silly and uncanny coincidence, it really made my day and I still think about it and smile :)

18. mom2rtk

I think it must have been meant to be. Even withing a given line, different models can use different batteries.

So glad you got to spread some pixie dust! :wizard:

19. Cathyr1980

Cathyr1980 Earning My Ears

And let me tell you from someone who is currently feeling the pain from DROPPING her new Ipad 3 on her toe and cutting my toe terribly TAKE A Camera ! (Ipad Lived Toe Did not!)

20. Danibelle

Danibelle DIS Veteran

What did we ever do before apps? :rotfl:

21. chartle

chartle DIS Veteran

I found this really interesting.

I was watching a review on tested.com on the new surface tablet from Microsoft. They said don't use this to take pictures because both cameras were low res and crappy and they thought it was a great feature since they wouldn't see people holding these things over their heads trying to take pics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=AKV3psgE4XQ#t=740s