Internet $9.99 for 24hrs???????????

as far as i know you cannot just boot up and connect via disneys wifi without paying them, this includes lobbies of resorts..the convention centers may be different. If you have one of those AT&T cards or sprint cards then
you can in lobbies, however you are not using disneys network, you are using either AT&T or sprints via that card.

ALL DVC resorts effective either MAY1 or MAY3 will begin offering FREE WIRED hi speed interenet in their rooms. ONLY DVC members will be allowed to freely use the service, most likely by showing your DVC card and they will
activate your room for a free connection. Guests who are not actual DVC members, aka renting points from a DVC owner, will NOT be allowed access
to the internet for free....

Do any of the resorts or convention centers at WDW offer this now? We've never been able to find any free WiFi at Disney. If this has changed recently I'd love to know about it! :)

ALL DVC resorts effective either MAY1 or MAY3 will begin offering FREE WIRED hi speed interenet in their rooms. ONLY DVC members will be allowed to freely use the service, most likely by showing your DVC card and they will
activate your room for a free connection. Guests who are not actual DVC members, aka renting points from a DVC owner, will NOT be allowed access
to the internet for free....

The Member site says May 4, but no matter - it's a welcome event. I'd imagine it will eventually spread to at least some of the Disney hotels.

I understand why Disney doesn't have wide-open, free wifi access at this point. As long as they're charging for fast wired internet access anywhere on site, they'll limit and charge for wifi access, or everyone (guests or not) would be huddled around the free wifi spots and no one would be paying for wired. Disney can control wired access and the charges - it's harder to control who uses the internet via the air.

If/when it's all free (if it ever is), this won't be a problem.

DisFlan

I have a question on this. I understand it's $9.99/night. But is it per room? Or per computer?

Per room connection. Which Disney probably assumes is also per computer at any given time, but I guess there's nothing to stop you setting up an internet share via your main laptop. In fact, I did that last time - I connected my Windows Mobile PDA/smartphone to my laptop, and continued to update some stuff on it via a shared internet connection from Disney's in-room HSIA port.

By the way, does anyone else think Disney have a bit of a cheek calling it "High Speed" Internet Access in this day and age? It's only a 1 Mbit downstream link, which is 20 times slower than even my home broadband (or are slower than 1 Mbit connections more common in the USA?)

Andre

I suppose anyone would call it highspeed when its above a v92 connection.
they have to limit the bandwidth to guests so that we dont interrupt their network traffic and cause guests screaming at the check in's cause its taking an hour to check in.

By the way, does anyone else think Disney have a bit of a cheek calling it "High Speed" Internet Access in this day and age? It's only a 1 Mbit downstream link, which is 20 times slower than even my home broadband (or are slower than 1 Mbit connections more common in the USA?)

OK, I'm a bit confused. To use my laptop here, will they provide me with the code to log on to the internet?

No, just plug in the ethernet cable that they provide in the room and start your browser. You'll see a welcome page and then be asked to confirm that you accept the $9.95 charges to your room account, and then away you go. It'll look kinda like this:

POR-InternetLogin.jpg

For more details, see www.portorleans.org?internetaccess.htm (which is POR-based, but it's the same idea in all the Disney resorts)

Andre

If I Logged In At 9 At Night Does This Mean My 24hrs Would Be Up At 9 The Next Night?? If So That Doesnt Work Out To Bad Really,So If U were On A 14 Day Vacation U Would Be Paying For 7 Days Internet Usage??But Having The Connection For 14 Days:lmao: :lmao: If That Makes Sense..

Thank you Andre! Wasn't sure how it worked since other hotels I've been in have provided free access.

I actually appreciate that they charge for internet because there is no reason that 75% of the people staying there actually need it. It's VACATION! :banana: If it were free, my parents or friends might bring their laptops and it would waste valuable park and/or bonding time. I understand why some would need it for business, especially at the convention resorts, but do the people that are taking a vacation from work really need to check their e-mail daily? People vacationed without internet for decades.. enjoy the simple things :wizard:

I actually appreciate that they charge for internet because there is no reason that 75% of the people staying there actually need it. It's VACATION! :banana: If it were free, my parents or friends might bring their laptops and it would waste valuable park and/or bonding time. I understand why some would need it for business, especially at the convention resorts, but do the people that are taking a vacation from work really need to check their e-mail daily? People vacationed without internet for decades.. enjoy the simple things :wizard:

One of the reasons we want it is because we're bringing a friend/babysitter for nights. Our DD normally goes to bed at 7pm. Of course, I'm sure that will be relaxed a lot during vacation at Disney, but she'll still probably be in the room earlier than many adults. Our friend/sitter (and DH and I, actually) like to occupy our free time with an MMORPG that requires internet access. I'd love for her to be able to do that rather than just be stuck by herself watching tv. Doesn't seem odd to me at all.

Well maybe because times have changed.

I need the internet for a number of reasons none of which I feel compelled to share with anyone. In addition I find it relaxing to get online in the evening a bit as a way to unwind.

And as much as I am addicted to the internet at home (for both work and pleasure) I do not ever find that it cuts into my park/and or bonding time.

I wish Disney would go to free wi-fi that actually works. I was there for a month last summer and had a multitude of problems with the connection and staying connected and when the charge is 9.95 I expect it to be working the whole time without me having to call for assistance or not breathe so as not to upset the connection.

Liz

My understanding from looking into this is that Disney sites do not incur the charge. So if you go on to look at maps, etc. on a Disney site you are not charged. It is only when you navigate away from those pages that you will be charged.

I was there in Feb for a conference and used my laptop everyday in the hotel room and I do remember that I could get to Disney sites without being asked about authorizing the fee.

I just got back from Port Orleans and Wilderness Lodge, and I was pretty shocked when I learned that I had to pay for access. I figured that, at the prices I was paying, it would be free. But as others said, I soon learned the value of getting 2 days for 1.

As odd as it might sound, the free internet was a contributing factor for me buying into DVC. When I thought of the "extra" costs associated with a hotel stay (internet and taxes), it even made more sense for me.

So if I use Net Zero or AOl Dial-up I would avoid having to pay for any inernet fees ?? Is there a charge for phone calls ?

the only price you pay in this case is .75 for each call.
make sure you ask at concierge for a LOCAL access #..
its weird down there where ya you dial a 407# but its long distance.
make sure they confirm that it is local. they will tell you

So if I use Net Zero or AOl Dial-up I would avoid having to pay for any inernet fees ?? Is there a charge for phone calls ?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter