International Driving Permit for Florida

Discussion in 'UK Trip Planning Forum' started by 15isto2, Feb 10, 2013.

1. chmurf

chmurf DIS Veteran

I wonder how fast the wi-fi is in Florida's cells ... :lmao:

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. going/again

going/again DIS Veteran

Right I've read what Wayne posted, you missed a word its MAY, When people
    are trying to help sarcasm is not the best way to respond.

4. wayneg

wayneg Moderator Moderator

Glad I am not going for a few weeks, hope its all a bit clearer by then.

We are all different how we use a forum but personally I would never respond without reading the whole thread to know how the discussion has progressed.

5. andrewilley

andrewilley Port Orleans Guru

And if you are still technically driving without the required documents by current Florida Law (never mind whether anyone plans to enforce it) might the insurance companies use it as another way to wriggle out of paying claims? They'll milk any excuse.

But at least this will be enough to avoid large numbers of angry stranded tourists at the airport car rental desks.

Andre

6. wilma-bride

wilma-bride <<This space intentionally blank>> Moderator

There was nothing sarcastic in my response to you, I was just pointing out that you were a little late in correcting me and, had you read the thread all the way through before starting to quote posts, you would have seen that there were many who were doubting the validity of the new law who later had to admit that they might have been incorrect.

You are, however, correct in that I said it does contravene the Geneva convention and the link actually says it "may" contravene the Geneva convention. Po-tay-to, po-tah-to. It amounts to the same thing :)

7. 15isto2

15isto2 DIS Veteran

Actually it says it COULD be a violation and that ONE law enforcement agency will not actively enforce the law

8. chmurf

chmurf DIS Veteran

yup,

but what's for sure is that I wouldn't want to be that tourist who gets caught by this scary local sheriff who only knows 2 books, the Bible and the state Statutes (revised and up to date version)
    (Agreed that if you don't leave the Disney property you're out of harm's way :) )

Also agreed that even if the law is not enforced, the insurance companies will likely try to exploit that void/loophole/situation to challenge a claim first chance they get.

9. wilma-bride

wilma-bride <<This space intentionally blank>> Moderator

Actually it says it MAY be a violation - since we're obviously splitting hairs ;)

10. 15isto2

15isto2 DIS Veteran

There is a huge difference between splitting hairs and the factually incorrect information you posted

11. chmurf

chmurf DIS Veteran

in the meantime the law is still "active" it has not been suspended. Only one LEA said they would not enforce it, the others also have jurisdiction over part of the roads we'll be using, and they MAY uphold the law

12. orangetiggs

orangetiggs Married my sweetheart in DISNEY!!!!!

From virgin olidays facebook page

Virgin Holidays
    News Flash: The Florida Department of Highways Safety and Motor Vehicles has advised that pending a review, the enforcement of the requirement for UK Drivers to have an International Driving Permit has been deferred. We'll update the Travel Update s section of our website with further information once we know more.

13. chmurf

chmurf DIS Veteran

what a mess ...

The Florida Department of Highways Safety and Motor Vehicles can only speak for it's law enforcement agency which is the FHP

Now for those of us who stay offsite, we'll have to deal with :
    - The Orlando PD
    - The Kissimee PD
    - Osceola Sheriff's Office
    - Orange Sheriff's office
    and if you ever go outside of I-drive/WDW you'll also have to deal with
    - Polk County Sheriff's office
    - Lakes Sheriff Office
    - Brevard Sheriff Office (for thos who go to KSC)
    - Pinellas Sheriff Office (for those who go to Tampa)
    (and then you have to include all the PDs of cities you cross (Tampa PD, Clearwater PD, Cocoa Beach PD, you name it)

all of those LEAs have jurisdiction to enforce the IDP law, and none of those have said that they would defer the IDP requirement

bottomline they're still at liberty to put you in jail. And VH's statement is dangerous at best.

14. Elise79

Elise79 Moderator Moderator

For the sake of £11 we will still be getting IDPs for our trip in 7 weeks. Whilst I am not so worried about the law enforcement aspect I do not trust the insurance companies not to use it as a get out clause as it is still a law that is currently in force.

I think that this has to be the biggest mess of a law ever!

15. irenep

irenep DIS Veteran

Completely agree with you. Its a total farce and like you I will still go ahead and get one just to be on the safe side. I wouldn't want to end up being the test case for this in a court of law.

16. Shazzie B

Shazzie B DIS Veteran

Crikey; glad we're just using buses for the Disney part of our trip:) I'd have to get one if we were driving - I work in Risk & Compliance - can just see the :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2: at work if I turned out to be the test case!

17. Chilly

Chilly RIP Tag Fairy

It made the BBC Breakfast news this morning, they had Simon Calder on talking about it, I missed it though but DH saw it. Can't find anything on the BBC website though.

18. wayneg

wayneg Moderator Moderator

Thankfully looks like we are back to where we were were before all this flared up. Rental companies have given assurance everyone will be covered on their insurance (with a DL in English) without an IDP ( including Hertz who I go with next)
    Simon V has done a lot over in Florida to help resolve this, also others like Tim & Elle from Trip Wheels and lots of pressure from Cananda.
    Orlando Sentinel story about it here http://www.orlandosentinel.com/busi...iving-permit-orlando-20130215,0,3666462.story

19. Cyrano

Cyrano Moderator Moderator

20. CousinB

CousinB Earning My Ears

Panic over (for now) - see the latest news at www. Florida Department of Highway Safety & Motor vehicles

21. NYDisneyKid

NYDisneyKid Expedition Everest Record Holder

with all due respect,,,i wonder if Brazillians drive the way they act in the parks.