Interested in feedback from someone whose child was at the Edge

rutgers1

DIS Veteran
My sons are ages 9 and 11. Technically one should have been in the Oceaneers Lab while the other was in the Edge. Our younger son has diabetes and I felt much better with him being with his brother. On top of that, the decision to keep them together was much easier when the older one saw the Edge and remarked that it was much smaller than the Oceaneers Lab. We asked if they could stay together in the Oceaneers Lab and were told "no problem."

They had a great time in the Oceaneers Lab - particularly with the Pirates of the Caribbean group video game - but I am wondering if our initial impression of the Edge was wrong:
1) Is it only that one smallish room that we saw when we came up for a quick visit?

2) And if so, why is it so small? Was there enough offered to keep your child interested?

From my perspective, it just seemed like the Oceaneers Lab was more "alive" with more to offer. I fully admit, though, that I didn't check out the Edge to any great length.

Was this on the Magic? DS loved the Edge there in January and when he saw pictures of the new Edge on the Wonder he was excited to go there in a few months because that one looks even better. There is a smaller group of kids that go to the Edge so they don't need as much space. The kids are older as well. The lab has to be ready to interest kids ages 3-10 now so needs more space and bright lights. DS loved playing computer games with friends he met there. There is also a Wii system. The Edge has a few areas and whenever we went there with the kids when it was Ocean Quest it never felt crowded.

We're cruising with our two tweens (and our pre-schooler) in August. Although we don't have any feedback yet, we've all really enjoyed the Edge report from magicron's daughter: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2688101

Our older boys will be in the Edge together and they plan to participate in the "choose your cruise" / icebreakers the first night. They're interested in the activities that magicron's daughter mentioned, like Ghost Voyagers and Gagaball. I'll be sure to report back!

My 12, soon to be 13, year old ds LOVED the Edge on the Dream two weeks ago. We only stopped in the Edge the first day and the room did seem small, I can't answer if there was more space than what you initially saw but my son had no complaints and it seemed to work just fine. Also, they did a lot of programming that was outside of Edge--scavenger hunts around the boat, evening game shows and activities in the D Lounge (the equivalent of Studio Sea on the Magic), dodge ball and other activities on the sports deck. There were definitely some high tech offerings in terms of video games, etc., but I was really happy that what he talked about were the activities, not the video games. We did ask him if the girls had as much fun as the boys, since it seemed like a lot of the activities were very physical (and things that my dd wouldn't have been interested in at that age), he said yes, and I am not sure whether they had separate activities. We did see girls playing dodge ball and a mixed group when we peeked in on activities in D Lounge. My son still hasn't stopped talking about how much fun he had and how fun the CM's were.

Our 12yo DD also LOVED the Edge on our 3/26 Eastern Magic cruise a few weeks ago. The counselors were great...they even took care of the kids at the Pirate Night Party. Our DD tools pictures of the Edge Farewell Party slides, and when we saw the pics at home, we were shocked how many fun activities the tweeners did during the Cruise. She has even continued some of the friendships thru FB since the cruise. DCL did the right thing with forming the Edge.

Our 11 yr old (1 week away from being 12 yr. old) DD LOVED going to EDGE on the Dream 4/21 - 4/24. Like the previous poster said, many activities are held outside of the meeting room. She met many new friends and even saw them on the beach at Castaway Cay.

Good thread.:thumbsup2 I was wondering how the Edge was since DS will be 11 on our cruise, and separated from his two sisters.:guilty:

Not to be negative but I think what makes the kids' clubs work is the kids on that particular sailing. My dd was 12 when she was on the Edge over the summer on the Magic (Baltic Cruise) and did not like it. The first time she walked in there were a bunch of boys just playing the Wii. No girls to be found, etc... So, she really didn't feel comfortable there. There were less kids on our cruise. She'll be on the edge again this summer on the Dream but she will be with a family friend. On the Baltic cruise she like the Oceaneer's Lab much better because there were lots of activities.

I agree that the mix of kids on a particular sailing can make or break the experience. It can be very much about the social aspect at that age.

We lucked out and DD met a great group of friends in the edge the first night, and while they went to some organized activities there, they probably spent as much or more time hanging out and doing other things together, especially during the day.

I don't think the edge is quite as heavy on evening activities as the teen club, but sometimes it seems like it's close. Many of the most popular activities start after 9pm and the edge is open late. DD seldom rolled in before 2am. That may be something to consider if you have a young-ish 11 who might be more comfortable with the more daytime focused schedule in the lab.

We had a tween and a teen and making it to early morning excursions could be ugly! Sometimes I wondered why we spent a fortune to do zip lines, ride 4 x 4's, etc, etc. Especially when someone asked DD what her favorite part of the cruise was and she said hanging out with friends on sea days. :rolleyes:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter