• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

In light of all the negativity, here's something that may brighten things...

3prettyprincesses

"These pretzels are making me thirsty!"
Wow, the theme park board seems to be upset over the FP situation. I understand some of the complaint, I really do. However, I'd like to share something that will hopefully make people feel like Disney does care about their customer.

We were at Disney during the end of January. While there, my grandmother unexpectedly died. It was very sudden and very upsetting. Obviously we needed to leave Disney and drive to her wake/funeral. Let me tell you, Disney handled it amazingly. I was totally distraught and my only goal was to get us checked out and up to the funeral 14 hours driving distance. Disney not only offered condolences but also refunded us all the nights of our room reservation we weren't staying for AND gave us new park tickets which were upgraded to park hoppers and longer than what we originally had left on them. We'd only spent 3 days in the parks before we had to leave due to my grandmother's death. All of this without trip insurance too. I never even heard of trip insurance for Disney.

I know people are upset over changes to the parks, unpleasant cast members, etc. but for me, they truly showed that their customer is important.:goodvibes

Something basically identical happened to me and my family in December of 2004. We were staying at ASMu, for only a couple nights. I think we were only going to spend one day in MK. We got to MK first thing in the morning, went on Splash Mountain, our one and only ride for the day....then we got the phone call about my grandmother passing away. The CMs were SO helpful in getting us out of the park, using a backstage exit, and to our hotel. The hotel staff helped us with out with our luggage and our tickets were comped. THAT is the sort of thing that keeps me coming back to Disney. Not FastPasses.

Something basically identical happened to me and my family in December of 2004. We were staying at ASMu, for only a couple nights. I think we were only going to spend one day in MK. We got to MK first thing in the morning, went on Splash Mountain, our one and only ride for the day....then we got the phone call about my grandmother passing away. The CMs were SO helpful in getting us out of the park, using a backstage exit, and to our hotel. The hotel staff helped us with out with our luggage and our tickets were comped. THAT is the sort of thing that keeps me coming back to Disney. Not FastPasses.

I'm glad I'm not the only one.:goodvibes I agree with you too!

I think FP is very interesting. When I was little, you just waited in line, period. No such thing as a separate line to "fast pass" you through. I never heard of FP till we started taking our kids to Disney back in 2008, and I had no clue about it that first trip. I also had no clue that Animal Kingdom existed either that trip lol! Live and learn I guess.:thumbsup2

I am sorry for your loss. My story did have a happier ending but shows how CMs go above and beyond. My 81 year old mother traveled back to her home country, Cyprus, for one last trip. I was sure that there was a chance it would be a one way trip as her health s failing.

I received a call from my cousin in Cyprus who left an ominous sounding voice message urging me to call. My cell phone would not allow me to make an international call. I ran to Guest Relations and asked for help. The CM made the overseas call for me from the phone there and told me that there was no charge.

Mom was OK, just a small traveling crisis.

I am sorry for your loss. My story did have a happier ending but shows how CMs go above and beyond. My 81 year old mother traveled back to her home country, Cyprus, for one last trip. I was sure that there was a chance it would be a one way trip as her health s failing.

I received a call from my cousin in Cyprus who left an ominous sounding voice message urging me to call. My cell phone would not allow me to make an international call. I ran to Guest Relations and asked for help. The CM made the overseas call for me from the phone there and told me that there was no charge.

Mom was OK, just a small traveling crisis.

Thank you.:goodvibes

And thank you for sharing this story too! I'm glad your mother's case turned out to be a small traveling crisis.

I think it's easy to jump on the negativity bandwagon sometimes, not that I'm not guilty of ever having done that of course! However, there are still many positive experiences families have had and will have at Disney. Yours is another great example.:thumbsup2

Wow, the theme park board seems to be upset over the FP situation. I understand some of the complaint, I really do. However, I'd like to share something that will hopefully make people feel like Disney does care about their customer.

We were at Disney during the end of January. While there, my grandmother unexpectedly died. It was very sudden and very upsetting. Obviously we needed to leave Disney and drive to her wake/funeral. Let me tell you, Disney handled it amazingly. I was totally distraught and my only goal was to get us checked out and up to the funeral 14 hours driving distance. Disney not only offered condolences but also refunded us all the nights of our room reservation we weren't staying for AND gave us new park tickets which were upgraded to park hoppers and longer than what we originally had left on them. We'd only spent 3 days in the parks before we had to leave due to my grandmother's death. All of this without trip insurance too. I never even heard of trip insurance for Disney.

I know people are upset over changes to the parks, unpleasant cast members, etc. but for me, they truly showed that their customer is important.:goodvibes

I'm so sorry to hear of your grandmother's passing.
And very nice to hear the WDW came thru with kind and gracious gestures.
That is the WDW we know and love:wizard:

I am so sorry about everyone's losses. Our experiences were nowhere near as important as the above..but it is the Disney touch.

On our most recent visit, my sister and I thought our wallets were stolen. (Ends up we were just flakes who lost them at the same time.). My license was my only photo ID and I had a cruise the next day. I had a CM calling a contact at the cruise line. Another letting us on the computer to file a police report. Another accepting emails of my expired passport and drivers license and printing them for me. As it were-my sister found her wallet down the side of her seat in the car (Toyotas are a pain for this!). When I called the airport to let them know hers was found, I asked about mine and they had it (Hyatt!). I gave the update to the CM and he was so happy for me.
Post cruise, we had meal plan. My 3yo's refillable mug was lost at MK. It was replaced for free (not wanting to assume, I did offer to pay. She asked for my receipt, I showed her my MB and said I didn't have it and it was from our meal plan.). Cam included a Mickey straw.

Not saying this all wouldn't happen elsewhere. But this is Disney to me.

3prettyprincesses sorry for your loss.

It is good to hear that Disney handled your situation with support and care :hug:

Sorry for you losses and sometimes it is about the amazing help big issues but often its the small things Disney do that make all the difference too.

I can think of many little examples of Disney magic.
Like when a friend put his drink on the floor (ready to get a photo with a character), the drink fell and spilt and then a CM went and fetched a new drink. Or when I was wearing a Birthday badge and was told that my bottle of Sprite "was on Mickey" as its my Birthday. Or when ordering 2 meals but 1 drink to split and getting an extra drink as I was told I can't share on my birthday! Or the CM who distracted me (age 29) giving out Mickey stickers so my hubby could arrange a surprise. There has been so many little bits and pieces that made Disney awesome!

One of the things that I have always loved best about Disney is their customer service. They really are second to none in most cases. :thumbsup2 It is what has kept me coming back again and again. There are issues in other areas, I'll leave those out as this is a positive post, but most cast members really do an excellent job when the time is needed. I'm glad they were able to handle your situation appropriately.

I'm very sorry for your loss.

Awww I love hearing about great and helpful CMs :goodvibes

I am so sorry to hear about your grandmother, I can't even imagine :(

I'm so sorry for your losses, how heartbreaking. I'm so glad Disney was able to help at least a little.

On our most recent trip we were traveling with a 2 year old and 4 month old. We drove for 2 days to get there and arrived with a cranky toddler and crying baby. We went to check in at All Star Sports and were told that they were over-booked but we had been chosen for an upgrade. While the cast member was on the phone another cast member gave our DS a little art set for free to play with which we later saw in gift shops for $7 I think. Then they sent us to Saratoga Springs! We got there, again with 2 crazy kids and the cast member there got on the phone and was talking to someone about how we had a baby and we from the All-Stars. After a long time we were sent to our room- it was a 1-bedroom, we had a washer/dryer and so much space for the kids.

Maybe I'm wrong but I felt like both sets of cast members were being extra-nice since our hands were so full with the kids. Maybe it was random, but still it was truly magical.

Im so sorry for your loss but thank you for sharing your story with us... Its nice to hear something uplifting all of these threads are weighing on me and have me rethinking our trips :(

pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:

Thank you everyone, you're all so nice!:goodvibes

Sure Disney isn't perfect but I do feel that they care. I hope everyone has wonderful trips!:thumbsup2

So sorry for your loss OP-I can't even imagine what that must have been like while on vacation. :hug:

DS once lost his shoe on POTC-it wasn't tied and sank in the water when he was trying to get on the boat. In no way was this Disney's fault, we went to file a report just in case they later found it. We were taken to the Emporium and he was allowed to pick out any shoes he wanted-light up Buzz Lightyear shoes-he thought he was the luckiest kid in the world. Another time they made sure that DS was reunited with his bear when we had switched resorts-bear got left behind, but was on the bed in the new room by the time we had got to our room.

So sorry for your loss.

...and thank you sooo much for posting your story. Like other's have said, it's great to have some positive stories. I too get tired of all the negativity, so I feel an "ahhhhh" when I read something like this. :goodvibes

Mine isn't huge, but dd got sick at disney and threw up all over the bed :( I called down to the front desk and told them and that we were headed to the ER (turned out to be a major ear infection). When we came back it was all cleaned up and all her toys and stuffed animals were put in cute positions around the room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter