I'm thankful for...MICKEY!!! My Thanksgiving '08 TR!: TR Update, Last Day!

We're in Carlsbad right now. We have had such a wonderful time. I'm DISing to pass the time till DH wakes up. After he wakes up, we'll have breakfast and then head to the beach!

Thanks for all the birthday wishes, everyone! Tomorrow I will turn 29!

We're in Carlsbad right now. We have had such a wonderful time. I'm DISing to pass the time till DH wakes up. After he wakes up, we'll have breakfast and then head to the beach!

Thanks for all the birthday wishes, everyone! Tomorrow I will turn 29!

I can't wait to hear about your trip!

Thank you!

For the first time? :lmao:

Yep, the first time! The first of many, probably! :rotfl:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! :bday: party: :cake:

Thank you!

Happy birthday!

:jumping1: :bday: party: :bday: :jumping1:

Thank you!

Happy Birthday!​

Thank you!

I can't wait to hear about your trip!

I'll put pics and a mini TR up tonight or tomorrow. Even though it was a short trip, I'm having some post-vacation blues today and I'm not very motivated to do anything. It's like Monday morning times 10 today! :sad2:

Sorry it's a day late but Happy Birthday! Hope you had a great time in California!

This is a great thread, I'm actaully starting to do the same thing, only it's the DW who's not very into Disney.. But we're going for the first time next May! Took some family convincing. Most of us have been to DL, but not WDW so I'm optimistic that we'll be able to keep going back once DW sees how much fun it is..

Sorry it's a day late but Happy Birthday! Hope you had a great time in California!

Thank you! We did have an awesome time in Cali!

This is a great thread, I'm actaully starting to do the same thing, only it's the DW who's not very into Disney.. But we're going for the first time next May! Took some family convincing. Most of us have been to DL, but not WDW so I'm optimistic that we'll be able to keep going back once DW sees how much fun it is..

Good work convincing your DW to take a trip to WDW!

And :welcome:

I have yet to go to DL, but I keep trying to convince DH to go there!

Welcome back and hope you had a great time. Can't wait to see some pictures!

Thank you!

Pics coming up!

I'm sorry I'm a day late too, but...

:bday: party:

I'm glad you had a good time in CA :goodvibes

Looking forward to the pictures! :banana:

Well, I tried very hard to upload my pics tonight so I could do a mini TR for San Diego. However, photobucket had other plans. I couldn't upload a thing!

I'll try again tomorrow!

After what seemed like a super long day last Thursday, DH and I packed up the car and got on the road!

The drive to San Diego was kinda crazy. We took a short cut through an Indian reservation just south of Phoenix. It was cool to drive through the reservation. Pretty soon, the sun started to go down and we saw a beautiful sunset as we drove west. I am the worst on road trips because I drink way too much water and I have to stop a lot! So we stopped at a desolate rest area in the middle of the desert and visions of every horror movie I have ever seen started running though my head. Needless to say, I made it a quick rest stop and jumped back in the car. Our next stop was in Yuma to fill up on gas before gas prices jumped up in Cali. After about 5 hours of driving, we arrived at Holiday Inn Express in downtown San Diego. We were both pretty tired as it was just past midnight so we went straight to bed. But then we got sucked into the Olympics and stayed up too late!

Friday morning, we woke up and ate a delicious (free) breakfast at the Holiday Inn Express. We saw a guy get kicked out because he wasn't actually staying at the hotel. I felt bad for the girls who had to kick him out!

Then it was time for the San Diego Zoo!
It was about a 5 minute drive from our hotel to the zoo.
96538668.jpg

If you've never been to the San Diego Zoo, I highly recommend it. It's just as good as everyone says! The animal enclosures are huge, realistic, and there are lots of animals in each enclosure. Usually, I leave a zoo feeling bad for some of the animals, but I thought all the animals seemed very happy here!

Here's DH
80cc14ee.jpg

And a gorilla
846d43a8.jpg

And DH and I waiting for a wild animal show
18d6b375.jpg

Little did I know, this wild animal show included a hawk. I have a bird phobia and I try to avoid birds at all costs. I was talked into going to the bird show at Animal Kingdom last year and I'm glad I saw it, but I was definitely scared throughout the show. Well, the hawk at the San Diego Zoo Wild Animal show was supposed to fly from his perch in the back of the audience down the the keeper's glove on the stage. Well, that hawk would not move from his perch. Apparently, the keeper had seen another hawk hanging around and he thought that was why the show hawk wouldn't come out. The keeper told us to all be very still so he could get the show hawks attention. So I froze right where I was, being sure not to move a muscle (aside from my respiratory muscles, of course) and braced myself for possible disaster. And a disaster it was! The hawk, instead of flying to the keeper, flew into a tree on the outskirts of the outdoor theater. Well, the keepers couldn't get that show hawk to come back. So they asked the audience to quietly leave the theater without looking up at the hawk or making too much noise. Leaving that theater was a very frightening moment for me. Crisis averted, we immediately walked to the other side of the zoo.

The pandas were adorable

e7119996.jpg

87f6bbbc.jpg

After checking out most of the animals at the zoo, it was time to move on. (I'm sorry about the lack of pics...I was so enthralled with everything there, I kept forgetting to take pics!)

We began the drive up to Carlsbad and stopped in La Jolla along the way.

This is where the seals hang out in La Jolla. There were some in the water, but you can't really see them in the pic.

8b6d9de2.jpg

DH hanging out

912959d2.jpg

After a stop in La Jolla, we continued on to Carlsbad. We had lunch at a burger joint and then checked into our hotel, which was a Sheraton resort. This resort was beautiful. Our only issue was that the ceilings seemed to be a little thin. We could hear EVERY footstep of our upstairs neighbors!

After getting settled at the hotel, we got some ice cream down by the beach and went to hang out on the beach, eat our ice cream, and watch the sunset. And guess who forgot her camera? Yep, me. I don't have the pics to prove it, but it was a gorgeous sunset and it was such a wonderful moment, with just DH and I sitting there together, watching and listening to the ocean, and witnessing a wonderful sunset. :cloud9:

We actually sat and walked on the beach for a couple hours, so we were hungry by the time we left. We picked up some Chinese take out and brought it back to our room. We ate yummy food, watched the Olympics, and walked around the resort. It was an awesome day.

Saturday morning, we woke up and went to breakfast at a little diner in town. On the way, we saw that some jokesters had put bubble bath or something in the fountain in town!

71b8371c.jpg

(Of course i have pics of that and not the sunset!)

After a yummy diner breakfast, we went back to the hotel and got ourselves ready for a day at the beach.

The beach in Carlsbad was great! It was very spread out and uncrowded. We had a small piece of beach all to ourselves! I love playing in the waves, so I spent a lot of time on the water. I also spent a lot of time reading and just watching the waves.

8dec8295.jpg

DH and me
4ee0329c.jpg

We left the beach at about 2:30 p.m. and went back to the hotel. It was time to use the hotel pool!

f89f2038.jpg

67034d8e.jpg

We hung out at the pool for a couple hours and then got ready for dinner.

Dinner was at a romantic and delicious Italian restaurant in town.

b8d975cd.jpg

Then it was time for another walk on the beach.

After returning to the hotel and watching some Olympics, we went to sleep.

Sunday morning, we woke up and it was my birthday! Yay! We walked around the resort and took some pictures.

25154b42.jpg

f0e15843.jpg

b1a279a2.jpg

1e54053f.jpg

Then we checked out of the hotel and headed to Einstein Bagels (my fave!) for breakfast.

After breakfast, we drove back home to Phoenix, picked up the dogs and then relaxed and enjoyed a Sunday evening at home.

It was a wonderful, romantic trip. Although DH and travel quite a bit, this was only the second trip since our honeymoon where it was just the two of us. We normally go on a trip with friends or family or we go to visit friends or family. Being alone on a trip like this with DH was just perfect. :cloud9:

What a wonderful birthday trip! I'm glad you got to have some just you and DH time. :cloud9:

Yes, the San Diego Zoo is awesome! I agree; the animals look very well cared-for and they seem to have enough room to roam.

Or a little too much, as with the hawk! :scared1: But I'm glad everyone made it out of the show okay. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter