• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I'm starting to get why people are saying they don't want to come back.

mom2rtk said:
I think it's regional. I have 2 sons in college. One gets out early next week. The other gets out late next week. When I was in college, I never got out until early to mid-June.

And I agree. I don't think it's nearly the big deal it is when k-12 lets out.

I agree on the regional idea.

I guess I don't really understand the whole "colleges are out, so attendance is up at wdw." I can't say I knew anyone in college who went to Disney when school let out...whether for themselves or family vacations.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen, I'm sure it does...I just don't know that it happens in large enough numbers to make a big difference in wait times.

I guess I don't really understand the whole "colleges are out, so attendance is up at wdw." I can't say I knew anyone in college who went to Disney when school let out...whether for themselves or family vacations.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen, I'm sure it does...I just don't know that it happens in large enough numbers to make a big difference in wait times.

Well, my 2 aren't clamoring to head to Disney when they finish up next week. ;) And I agree. While it might be the favored destination for many college students here on the DIS....... I don't think they are in the majority.

I believe that everyone's opinion has valid points. What works for one doesn't work for another, and that's why there's variety. We have DVC (BWV is home resort and we always stay there), but the rest of the family stays at the Dolphin. I couldn't stay there because I need to be spread out more, and the 1-bedroom gives us that space so the kids have their space and we have ours. We also can't sleep on a double bed, must be a queen or king. We're not big people, we just feel cramped for some reason in a double bed. What works for my parents and sister, doesn't work for us...and what works for us doesn't work for them. It's a matter of personal preference.

As for FP+, that is stressing me out. Not in the sense of having. Negative opinion about WDW, just that I'm so used to planning our WDW trips based on the old system, that it's getting overwhelming with all the planning. However, I think FP+ will be great for us because we're using it so that when we arrive at rope drop we could avoid the crazy crowds rushing to the headliners, and just FP+ those for later on. I know I won't miss that...walking fast with the crowds just to get a FP and then finding out what time we have to return to ride. It will be nice having it more customized, especially since most park days we have a lunch ADR and I could work around that. It's just a big learning experience right now for everyone.

I feel that WDW is one of the FEW places where I really get my $ worth. When we go to the mountains, we spend more, plus we have to do all our own driving and prices of meals are unpredictable because we aren't on any dining plan. So for us, WDW is definitely a feel good all the way around. As far as crowds - no, I'm not crazy about it either, but it's just part of it and I still have a great time.
We always do QS. I usually pay out of pocket one TS meal during the trip, just for the dining experience.
As a die-hard WDWer I have to say that, IMO, the frustrations some people have is because they don't "get" what the over-all experience is about.
For the OP, I really am sorry that you didn't have such a great time. Maybe after a decade you will be excited to go back and will enjoy you time there.

You spend more going to the mountains that you do going to Disney? I must be doing something wrong.

Per the list on the restaurant board, the current price for dinner at Boma (we're not into the peak season pricing yet) for an adult is $38.33. Not sure what tax is but going with 6% it's about $2.30 so the meal works out to about $40. $75 would be payng a good $35 above the price. Some of that is taken up by tip, and the rest possibly by some alcoholic beverages? A 20% tip on $40 is a bit over $7.50. Unless there was a $35 tip involved.

$75 is a ridiculous price to pay for Boma and I wouldn't pay it (I wouldn't pay the 40 either because I'm really over the Disney buffets) but according to the price list a dinner at Boma by itself without add-ons doesn't cost quite THAT much, in case someone is reading this and deciding not to go to Boma based on that price tag.

As far as the rides, I do realize that I'm probably not going to be doing many rides unless I plan for them. Especially at a park like Epcot that doesn't have all that many rides to start with.

It's all about perception, and not everyone's perception is going to be alike. I will never understand why so many of these types of discussions turn into arguments. :confused3

I think it's unfortunate that you didn't have a good visit - I genuinely feel for anyone who has a visit that doesn't make them happy. If you feel as though you're not getting the experience you want, given all parameters, then spend your hard-earned money elsewhere. Disney will always be there when/if you change your mind. :)

Agreed. Disney isn't a hot destination for most college kids. When elementary/middle schools let out for the year, then you'll see the uptick in attendance.

I feel that WDW is one of the FEW places where I really get my $ worth. When we go to the mountains, we spend more, plus we have to do all our own driving and prices of meals are unpredictable because we aren't on any dining plan. So for us, WDW is definitely a feel good all the way around. As far as crowds - no, I'm not crazy about it either, but it's just part of it and I still have a great time.
We always do QS. I usually pay out of pocket one TS meal during the trip, just for the dining experience.
As a die-hard WDWer I have to say that, IMO, the frustrations some people have is because they don't "get" what the over-all experience is about.
For the OP, I really am sorry that you didn't have such a great time. Maybe after a decade you will be excited to go back and will enjoy you time there.

How can you spend 'more' in the mountains than at Disney?? :confused3

There is 'no' way we spend even close to that! We 'do' enjoy cooking our own meals in the mountains, but even at that we would have to spend way more on everything else to come anywhere close - which we don't!

Now, we do enjoy Disney and to a point get 'our' money's worth - everyone's opinion on 'money's worth' is different. We expect prices to be inflated and we greatly enjoy the ambiance, so are willing to pay the extra $$'s to be there.

We tend to spend 'far' less than the average people, is seems, after reading a lot of posts, mainly because we are light eaters and we do not go for most all of the 'souvies' - maybe an occasional mug.

'But', I am totally disgusted with all the changes and we are cutting way back on our vacations there - has nothing to do with the costs. I like to go with 'no' stress, not plan all my days, but that is not the way they want you to do it now - so we are vacationing elsewhere where we can relax and enjoy - which is what vacations are to us! To each their own!! :goodvibes

Tax is already included in Boma's buffet price , but tip is not.
I think all resort theme park restaurant prices are overpriced.
That being said my family loves Boma. :)
We love Boma also, but haven't been back in many years due to the price. Matter of fact, we have not done a Disney buffet in a long long time because of the price and quality of the food (outside of Boma). I just don't think spending $200 for a family of 4 is a good thing, but that's just me.

I will always love wdw world, but the crowds are crazy - & FP+ is somewhat annoying, although I don't think it's as bad as others do. Also, I felt I got a lot less for my money this time - & I got Florida discounts. I think I won't be returning for a while.

Ive been at Epcot for two hours & have ridden 1 ride - in line for Maelstrom. Then I'm eating & driving home.

I ate at Boma yesterday & although delicious, I do not think it's worth the price tag - for just me 75 which included tip. Never again. Flame tree at AK was good & in a good price range.

& i did not like Coronado Springs. The resort was pretty, but the rooms were overpriced for what you get. I liked Port Orleans more.

I've decided to wait at least a decade before returning.

1. Sorry you felt like you didn't get the most for your money. Sometimes when using certain discounts, other things are a bit more. (I.E. When using free dining, you pay rack rate for the room.)

2. Arriving at a park mid day, especially on the weekend, is probably not going to result in alot of ride time, unless you have preplanned FP+. If ride time is important to you, I suggest arriving at RD.

3. I am trying to figure out how you ever spent $75 at Boma for just you! Even on allears, the high end is $43, did you really leave almost double for tip? If so, you must have had an amazing server!

4. I'm sorry you did not like CSR, that is my favorite mod! I always find the rooms very comfortable and and fairly good size. But, not every resort is for everyone.

Hope your next trip is much better! :goodvibes

I will always love wdw world, but the crowds are crazy - & FP+ is somewhat annoying, although I don't think it's as bad as others do. Also, I felt I got a lot less for my money this time - & I got Florida discounts. I think I won't be returning for a while.

Ive been at Epcot for two hours & have ridden 1 ride - in line for Maelstrom. Then I'm eating & driving home.

I ate at Boma yesterday & although delicious, I do not think it's worth the price tag - for just me 75 which included tip. Never again. Flame tree at AK was good & in a good price range.

& i did not like Coronado Springs. The resort was pretty, but the rooms were overpriced for what you get. I liked Port Orleans more.

I've decided to wait at least a decade before returning.

I'm near Pensacola, too. Did you post this from the park? I'm wondering, because I noticed it was Sunday. I'm still surprised crowds were THAT bad, usually even WDW have a bit of a "spring slump" between Spring Break and Memorial Day week. Usually that's when Florida can be enjoyed with good weather and lesser crowds. I usually avoid Saturdays and Sundays period at WDW for park days, as I assume most Passholder locals would hit up the parks on the weekends.

We have our trip planned for May 19-23, the week before Memorial Day. Our Cast Member told us it's usually still "slower" that week. I'm hoping so!!!!! :crazy2:

We have the Weekday Select passes, going to hit up MK and AK Tues & Thurs. In case the crowds are crazy I have a plan to hit up the boys' favorite rides, then head back to the resort if necessary! We are staying at CBR this time around, since my kids are pirate crazy and they have such a beautiful resort with a pool slide. Figured, if all else fails, they will have a blast at the resort! And there's always Downtown Disney!

The FP+ worked good for me last time we were there in October simply for Space Mountain and going to see Mickey Mouse. I'm curious to see how it will play out this time around!

Sorry to hear your stay was less than enjoyable! We go at least 3 times a year when they have the Florida discounts going on, and so far, my biggest disappointment was the MASSIVE crowds at MNSSHP. It was never that crowded before and I hope this year Disney learns to sell less tickets so it's more enjoyable. My Dad thought having to wait in line for up to THREE HOURS just to have a picture taken with Jack Skellington was ludicrous. I think he's right. When you have to RUSH to get to a park at FOUR (when the tickets really say 7:00 pm) just to line up on the sidewalk for a parade three hours ahead of time, and to get in line to see Jack....then the crowds HAVE become TOO large. That would be my biggest gripe. When crowds are so large in the slower season for anyone to have a good time, I can't imagine what it is like during the peak season. :worried:

Since the economy has started to recover lines are getting longer, restraunts are getting fuller, and prices are increasing with the demand. I notice this at both home and in Disney World.

It is a bummer that everything is so packed, but it is nice to know that more people have disposable income again. :cool1:

Well...to add a few cents from a family of 6 who stays offsite who has gone for 8 years straight @ spring break when packed but who took a couple years off due to high school spring sports and now going for the first time in late July plus first time with with FP+.

We know it is expensive for a family of 6 and SB is crowded, but the value we perceived was worth it -- thus the 8 year run. However, our expectation as we learn more about FP+ is there will be reduced value and this very well could be our last trip.

While everyone has their reasons for going and coming back which creates their own value of a WDW trip. Our value is having flexibility in which park we feel like attending on a given day based upon weather, mood of the brood (tired or not), did everything or not in a certain park already, etc... We also like to choose to ride an attraction multiple times in a day via fastpass. We do not like to wait in long lines so we would keep fastpassing and while waiting for fastpass windows, relax with snacking, shopping, pictures, and people watching. Now, we may not be spending money on those items as it sounds like lines are longer now with FP+ and number of FP limitations will cause us to wait in the longer lines. For the first time, I have heard from the family they want to go to Universal on some days rather than a full week of Disney. I am sure there are pros/cons, but that taste of non Disney could taste good and open the door for more non Disney trips. And also the 30 day vs 60 day fastpass booking is another big x. One other item...NE tix would draw us back because we had 1 or 2 days left....but we didn't go for just 1 or 2 days....we would buy another round of NE tix which left a couple days to go back, etc.... As you can tell, expectations have been set low enough that will be easy to delight. I hope to be delighted come early August when we return from our trip ;-)

Visiting WDW is not a, come and do as you please, whenever you want type of vacation. It takes planning, budgeting, paying attention to when you can start making ADR's and setting up FP+. In my opinion, planning your adventure is half the fun! And we NEVER show up to a park in the middle of the day. I am the type to be up at 6AM, breakfast by 7AM and in line for the DTS by 7:30AM-8AM. I may schedule down time in the middle of the day, but I turn into the BIGGEST morning person at WDW. Resorts are another thing you have to research. Take a trip and stay at values and set aside time for exploring other resorts. Then you can see where you may want to stay in the future, and you can plan accordingly by budgeting and saving. Your time and money are what you make of it, especially at WDW. Hope you won't wait that long to give it another go, especially if you love the magic of Disney!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter