I'm starting to get why people are saying they don't want to come back.

Stitch850

Stitches Love Cake
I will always love wdw world, but the crowds are crazy - & FP+ is somewhat annoying, although I don't think it's as bad as others do. Also, I felt I got a lot less for my money this time - & I got Florida discounts. I think I won't be returning for a while.

Ive been at Epcot for two hours & have ridden 1 ride - in line for Maelstrom. Then I'm eating & driving home.

I ate at Boma yesterday & although delicious, I do not think it's worth the price tag - for just me 75 which included tip. Never again. Flame tree at AK was good & in a good price range.

& i did not like Coronado Springs. The resort was pretty, but the rooms were overpriced for what you get. I liked Port Orleans more.

I've decided to wait at least a decade before returning.

I'm sorry you are not having a good time. But I would never think to show up at any park at noon and expect to be able to get on a bunch of rides. Especially once the colleges are out of school for the year. As Josh over on EasyWDW says, it is important to show up early if you want to ride the headliners. The crowds start arriving around 10:30 am.

As far as resorts go, not every resort fits every person. And you really don't know if a resort will fit until you try it.

I agree there seems to be less value for the money. I don't mind paying for a nice hotel and meals, but their prices don't match their delivery. We used to feel it was fantastic value for the cost.

We will continue to go because we do enjoy it as a family vacation, but we have cut back on the frequency of our trips.

I can understand where the OP is coming from. They appear to have made trips similar to this one in the past, and in the past they were able to ride more rides with less waiting. That is their experience on this trip and it's perfectly valid.

I have taken five trips with FP+ and dozens of trips without it, and I haven't had a negative impact yet from FP+. In fact, it's been a positive for me. That is my experience, and it's also valid.

Learning to tour with FP+ is a learning curve for most of us. We'll get more efficient as we go (and hopefully the system will too - considering the recent changes I'm optimistic about that). Not every one will get the same value out of FP+, since each person will be comparing it to the way they toured before.

As far as the hotel goes, I agree with the poster that said you don't know if a hotel is your cup of tea until you stay there. Lots of people love AKL, but it's just not my cup of tea. I miss being on the water when I stay there. I didn't realize how much time I spend looking at the water, and riding on the water, and sitting by the water - until there wasn't a lake in sight. So they tried CSR and it's not their cup of tea and that's OK too. Personally, I feel the moderates are my least favorite range of hotels. If I'm on a budget trip, I stay value. If I'm going to be spending a lot of time at the resort, I stay deluxe or DVC. It's pretty rare for me to stay moderate these days. But there are lots of people who wouldn't stay anywhere else.

I had a similar problem a few years back...well, over a decade ago:

I was about 22 years old and was spending 2000 Easter break with my folks in Bradenton, FL, which is about 2 hours away tops. We stayed at Polynesian for two nights, where we always stayed when I was a kid. I loved it as a kid, but when I got there at age 22, I thought it was the dumps! I remember being negative about everything! The magic of the resort that I remembered as a kid was completely gone. The rooms seemed rundown, the resort seemed "fake," and all that. I remember thinking, "there's no way I'm ever staying here again for THESE prices!"
Of course, the difference between when I was a kid and age 23 was that I had been on about 6 Caribbean cruises and had lived in and traveled in Europe by then. The Disney magic was gone for me because I was no longer able to suspend disbelief.

I didn't return to Disney until 2008, except for a brief one-day trip in 2003. In 2008, I went on a girls' weekend to Food and Wine with my mom and sister and we stayed at the Boardwalk. I absolutely loved it! Since then, I have purchased 150 DVC points, and then added another 100 more. I have been 3-4 times per year in the last 6 years and have my second consecutive Annual Pass. The magic is BACK for me, for whatever reason.

And I've stayed at the Poly again (two summers ago) and loved it. The nostalgia had returned and so had my joy. I'm even considering buying Poly DVC points next year!

But sometimes you need a break to wait for the magic and joy to return. :yay:

I'm so sorry that you didn't have that great of a time! :(
I've always felt that the food was ridiculously priced, especially for table service. I've always been more satisfied with QS. I've also always stayed offsite because the rooms were better for the price.

I can understand where the OP is coming from. They appear to have made trips similar to this one in the past, and in the past they were able to ride more rides with less waiting. That is their experience on this trip and it's perfectly valid.

I have taken five trips with FP+ and dozens of trips without it, and I haven't had a negative impact yet from FP+. In fact, it's been a positive for me. That is my experience, and it's also valid.

Learning to tour with FP+ is a learning curve for most of us. We'll get more efficient as we go (and hopefully the system will too - considering the recent changes I'm optimistic about that). Not every one will get the same value out of FP+, since each person will be comparing it to the way they toured before.

I didn't take this as a FP+ post at all. Maybe I'm wrong. But to me arriving in the afternoon on a weekend is setting yourself up to be disappointed, if the number of rides you can do determines how successful your vacation is.

I agree about the food. Most of the regular TS is not worth the money at all...you might as well just go QS.

I agree and disagree. I don't care for buffets or characters, but for families with small kids and hungry appetites, I can see a breakfast buffet being a godsend. So for me, the food and price aren't worth it. For them, it might be their biggest meal of the day or their only chance to see the characters they want. So "value" means something different to everyone.

I usually do QS because I hate sitting in one place too long. I feel like there is always something I can/should be doing instead. QS allows us to eat, well, "quickly" and move on.
Having said that, a WDW trip for me isn't complete without a ADR at Via Napoli. I'll carve out an hour+ for that pizza. I don't really care about the cost. I care that its goooooood!! And I know that if I don't settle in for a proper meal, I might just drink beer all night and not realize I haven't eaten until its too late! pirate::drinking1 :sick:

But for QS restaurants, I'm usually in Epcot and will eat at Katsura Grill or Tangierine Cafe, etc... which is hardly burgers and chicken tenders. I can't seem to find anything to eat at MK, so I try to eat at the monorail resorts before I get there. Flame Tree BBQ was excellent at AK.

But yeah, I'm not going to waste my time at a TS restaurant just for the food...there's more to do at WDW!

But in terms of quality of food vs. price, I'm not really going to WDW for the culinary experience. I know better than to think Tutto Italia or Mama Melrose's is going to rival Chicago's finest Italian eatery. It isn't.
But I will eat at Sanaa because I love the ambiance, the animals, and the food. I will eat at Kona cafe because I love(d) being in the Polynesian lobby with the smells and the waterfall...and I love the Tonga Toast. So for me there's gotta be more than just the food to get me into a TS. Sometimes there is...sometimes there isn't.

I'm so sorry that you didn't have that great of a time! :(
I've always felt that the food was ridiculously priced, especially for table service. I've always been more satisfied with QS. I've also always stayed offsite because the rooms were better for the price.

Correct if your worried about price stay off-site and bring food with you. I feel the people who enjoy TS such as myself realize there is a premium. Same can be said if you go to a local sporting event where normally $1 beer is sold for $8 or a hot dog is $4.

Correct if your worried about price stay off-site and bring food with you. I feel the people who enjoy TS such as myself realize there is a premium. Same can be said if you go to a local sporting event where normally $1 beer is sold for $8 or a hot dog is $4.

Yeah, as a Detroit Tigers season ticket holder, I totally understand the willingness to pay $9 for a beer. I mean, at the local bar would I pay $9 for a 16oz Labatt Blue?! Heck no! But on a nice evening in June, 75 degrees, at Comerica Park? Yeah, I'll buy a couple of those.

Its the same beer, of course, but when the setting is different, so is my concept of "value."

I planned most of my trip around recommendations by other disney geeks like myself, but I found my opinion differentiating from theirs. For instance, the DIS unplugged did a review of some the resorts a while back and gave Coronado Springs a good review - & I would disagree with the review. Probably just my particular taste, but I found it lacking, especially for booking preferred room.

I planned most of my trip around recommendations by other disney geeks like myself, but I found my opinion differentiating from theirs. For instance, the DIS unplugged did a review of some the resorts a while back and gave Coronado Springs a good review - & I would disagree with the review. Probably just my particular taste, but I found it lacking, especially for booking preferred room.

Doesn't a preferred room just denote a location? The room isn't any different than a standard room is it?

I will always love wdw world, but the crowds are crazy - & FP+ is somewhat annoying, although I don't think it's as bad as others do. Also, I felt I got a lot less for my money this time - & I got Florida discounts. I think I won't be returning for a while.

Ive been at Epcot for two hours & have ridden 1 ride - in line for Maelstrom. Then I'm eating & driving home.

I ate at Boma yesterday & although delicious, I do not think it's worth the price tag - for just me 75 which included tip. Never again. Flame tree at AK was good & in a good price range.

& i did not like Coronado Springs. The resort was pretty, but the rooms were overpriced for what you get. I liked Port Orleans more.

I've decided to wait at least a decade before returning.

How the heck did you end up paying that much at Boma??
Food is high priced, so go with CS or the places that seem the best deal to you.
And agree, resorts, very by taste. I too was not wild about AKL, but love WL, POR.
Crowds?? Not much you can do about those. Seems there is no real low season anymore. We were there in Jan. and it was pretty good. Go off season (as much as there is one)

I realize their is a premium, but the magic just wasn't there to warrant it for me. I did find good food, but about the same I can find at home. I think staying at AK would be fun, resort was so pretty, but Boma is overrated.

I can eat at Flemings at home for $75 just me. At the parks, TS seems like your just paying to sit inside with air conditioner & not eat another hamburger.

Doesn't a preferred room just denote a location? The room isn't any different than a standard room is it?

Yep, a preferred room is just one that's closer to the main building/main pool.

How the heck did you end up paying that much at Boma??

I was wondering that, too. Allears.net shows the price range as $38.33-$42.59, which is $35.99-$39.99 plus 6.5% tax. (They charge a bit more for buffets during peak times). Even with an alcoholic drink (which isn't included) and a tip, I don't see how it cost over $75.

I agree there seems to be less value for the money. I don't mind paying for a nice hotel and meals, but their prices don't match their delivery. We used to feel it was fantastic value for the cost.

I agree with you. When I feel I am getting exceptional service and great quality for what I am paying, I will pay whatever it costs.

When that value or service declines, then I'm not so willing to pay over-inflated prices anymore.

Yep, a preferred room is just one that's closer to the main building/main pool.

I was wondering that, too. Allears.net shows the price range as $38.33-$42.59, which is $35.99-$39.99 plus 6.5% tax. (They charge a bit more for buffets during peak times). Even with an alcoholic drink (which isn't included) and a tip, I don't see how it cost over $75.

So if she ordered the 42.59 plus a specialty drink that went let's say 10.00 that's 52.59! Less say 3.42 uax totaling 56.00,with 20% tip of 11.20 should come to 67.20' now she may have had two drinks which may account for the total of 75.00' ...still a lot of money for one meal!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter