"I'm NOT a Princess, I'm Izzy!" - May '15 Land/Sea ~ Updated 6/4: Link to Disneyland TR!!!

Hello, I love the report so far and I'm looking forward to more updates :)

Well, despite the toddler tantrums, it seems like your sister turned out great, so that helps!

That's so nice of you to say! :blush: Yes, they thankfully outgrow the tantrums. Based on your trip reports, Izzy is much better at eating in restaurants than Anika was at her age, so I'd say you're way ahead of the game! :thumbsup2

Onto comments...

Your character meets (both the Character Spot and the Visa Meet and Greet) looked like so much fun! What great luck that Minnie was one of the Meet and Greet characters!

The character fun certainly continued at Garden Grill! I remember really enjoying my meal there in 2007 - I haven't been back since as there are so many great restaurant choices in Epcot. The food looks tasty, though! ::yes::

Using your stroller as a cart was a brilliant idea! The prices are crazy, but you would've paid more for hot sandwiches and individual bottles of Coke and milk, so I think you did well.

I MUST GET THAT SANDWICH MAKER! :worship: I make my own egg sandwiches pretty often, but it would be nice to do it in just a few minutes on weekday mornings without dirtying a pan.

That early morning picture of Izzy eating breakfast is adorable! :lovestruc She does look a bit tired, but so do any of us on a Disney trip!

Hooray for a successful Chewy run! Dug looks THRILLED about meeting Chewy! I also love that they have an Ewok there with him - I had an Ewok lunchbox as a kid so I'm rather fond of Ewoks. :goodvibes

Totally off topic but we took our daughter to my parents house for dinner Friday night and I trusted my husband to get her milk bottle and put it in the diaper bag. Flash forward to getting to my parents house and I picked up the diaper bag and there was. White puddle on the floor cover in the car . All I said out loud was "now I know how dugette felt". My husband thought I was loosing my mind ! I also can't believe how milk can get into every pocket in the bag so quickly and easily!!!

Love the Ewok pictures. They are so cute:ewok: It's nice they have them out with Chewie first thing. I hope they do that next year too.
I was really happy to see that Chewie was joined by Ewoks that morning. I agree, they are adorable! :ewok:

I actually got DH both shirts. He loves Hawaiian shirts and Star Wars, so that was birthday. I couldn't resist the Father's Day shirt either. I bought my dad a mug with Vader on it that said Father of the Year. He's not a big Star Wars fan but has a demented sense of humor. So, he loved it.
Haha, that mug is awesome! :rotfl2: Those were both great shirts! I really was considering it, but at least someone is getting to enjoy them! :goodvibes

Aw the Chewie and Ewok pics were cute - Izzy and the Ewok are so cute together, he was just her size!
I know, it was like a perfect father/toddler meet and greet - they each had a furry friend to hug. :thumbsup2

Looks like a fun thing to do, pulling on the IJ rope - I don't think I've ever been over to that area w/ Aria lol, and certainly haven't watched the show in probably 5 years or more.
Yeah, we haven't seen the show in a long time, but it was a great place to wander with a toddler. Stuff to look at and not too crowded (other than the show line). I figured Izzy might get a kick out of the rope thing (and I did too!) - gotta make sure she's impressed with her Mommy's Disney secret knowledge! :rotfl:

Star Tours is one 40" ride that I don't think Aria will enjoy, BUT she might if we make sure to watch the SW movies beforehand. She likes coasters more than these sorts of rides it seems. She HATED Universal's Despicable Me and we were in stationary seating! haha
I can relate - I very much prefer coasters to simulators. However, I am lucky that they don't make me sick, as I know many people are bothered by them. I hope Aria likes it - it can be pretty fun, even more so if she recognizes the characters.

Have you ever been around a live chicken??? No thanks!
:rotfl2:

Let the wookie win!!!

Oh, what? He's not running? Nevermind.
:chewy: Well, he probably did get there first.

I was going to say that!
So was everyone else, apparently.

Oh well. Nothing like a brisk walk to wake you up.
True. Or, you know, to tire you out before your day really even gets started.

I love it!
So different to see the theater!

Oh no... nothing like milk leaking in a bag in the Florida sun.
Yep. ::yes::

I feel your pain. We've all been there.
One of those not-so-impressive parenting moments, I guess. :sad2:

:headache:

Hey look! There they are! No need to wait in line now! :rolleyes1
I may have been thinking that. :rolleyes1 But Dug needed a wookie hug.

It's the little things that we remember from vacations, isn't it?
Well, some of them, at least! ::yes::

Wow!!! You got in line 5 minutes before the park actually opened and still waited 50 minutes??? :faint:
Better than two hours in the blazing afternoon sun. And we were slow - there were plenty of people who weren't doing the Chewie run with a toddler and made it ahead of us.

Ok, so now it seems more worthwhile!
Yep, it was.

And Izzy had her own similar sized M&G! This is just too perfect.
It was really cute to see them both with a furry friend.

:rotfl2: Like a kid on Christmas morning.
Pretty much! :hyper:

I wondered if you were going to ever get up there!! I mean if you're going to wait that long you've got to at least get involved and meet them!
I have to admit, I was there mostly for Dug and Izzy, but it's always nice to get a character picture.

Who needs to read to disobey signage?

Anything to keep her distracted for a while, right?
Indeed.

::yes:: It really looks like a fun event.
It is. So much to see. The park takes on a very different vibe.

Well played, Dug! :thumbsup2
It was a nice bonus! :thumbsup2

That looks like such a fun meet with Chewie and Dug looks so happy ... I guess it is the equivalent of a little girl meeting a princess
Exactly! He was super excited! :rotfl:

... hope he didn't have candy and an unmarked van ;)
Nope, cause candy would have for sure worked on her. :eek:

I do appreciate how on the special days (SWW, 24 hour party, dapper day, etc.) people dress up so much and really get into it
Me too. I mean, I don't dress up at all, but I enjoy observing those that do. ::yes::

Jeez, I can't imagine anyone wanting that Star War's Dad shirt :rolleyes1

me-in-star-wars-dad-shirt-png.121065
(and yes, that is what Judi got me for Father's Day)
Very nice! Judi has good taste in shirts! :thumbsup2

Those Dug and Chewie photos are priceless! I love the joy on his face.
Thanks! He was definitely like a little kid at that meet.

Hilarious that Max Rebo owns that Father's Day shirt!
I love it!

LOL- my DH may or may not own that t-shirt, too!
Haha, now I'm starting to think Dug's the only one who doesn't have it. :rotfl:

Glad it was a fun meet- Dug looks so thrilled!
He really was. Glad we did this one.

The Izzy and Ewok pictures are so cute! And Dug looks so happy to get that hug from Chewie! I'm glad your early morning meet worked out so well!
It worked out quite well. A bit slower than I'd hoped, but we had the time and it was worthwhile.

Cute Leia ears! :thumbsup2
Thanks!

I had read about that IJ rope on another TR so I made sure to have Nate pull it when we were there. It's such a cute little theme piece! And I think we let the boys run around that same open area and they loved looking at the trucks!
It's perfect for the kids to run off some steam. And I love the little imagineering fun things like that rope.

The Chewie and Ewok meet and greet was so cute! I am not big into Star Wars or anything but if I am ever there during Star Wars weekends, I would totally want to do that meet! That little Ewok is so super cute! I love it.
I'm with you on that. I'm (gasp!) not really a big Star Wars fan, but I was totally in favor of this meet - I love the furry critters! :rotfl:

Those shirts are super cute, I would have had to get one for fathers day
They were - I was very tempted, but at least some other DISers and/or their DH's are wearing them. :laughing:

Ah. And here I thought the "Chewie Run" was some kind of marathon.
Certainly not a Disney-organized one. And I've already run through DHS once in my life and that was enough. :rotfl: (Despite having a dad and step mom that have run dozens of marathons, I am not a runner at all).

Hello! It's six o'clock in the morning!
And after a late night, to boot.

Good catch!
Every so often I notice one.

I repeat. Hello! It's six o'clock in the morning!
Yeah, I was pretty tired too.

That looks good! I can't see any, was there cheese in it too?
Indeed - one slice of (overpriced) cheese, along with egg and bacon. :thumbsup2

Oh for the love of Pete! I keep telling you! It's SIX O'CLOCK IN THE MORNING!!!
And this is our first morning in the new time zone, so it's only 5am at home! :eek:

Whoops! Did Dug give you a look, perchance?
I think we kind-of gave each-other a look, as it was a mutual decision. Oops.

::yes:: Much better!
Yes, very nice! :smickey:

Interesting. I noticed some self watering trees on a bus ride between parks one day.
Shocked me. I just assumed the trees outside the parks would fend for themselves.
Haha, you would think so. Proves how true it is that Disney property is a very controlled environment. :scratchin

Lot of people for that early.
I presume SWW had something to do with that.
Yes, first day of the first weekend of SWW.

:sad:

It's amazing isn't it? I've had the same thing happen. You think "Ha! There's no way that's going to leak."
Liquids just find a way, no?
Pretty much. I was just shocked that it could happen. :sad2:

Oh, well. We can't always be model parents/spouses.
Definitely not our finest moments.

:laughing: I like that. Wasn't that in the international news for a while?
Pretty sure I saw something about the Great Milk Disaster.
Gosh, I hope we didn't make the news! :scared: :lmao:

Did you freak out? Did Dug? Maybe just a little?
We were all excited to see them and know that we had arrived to SWW.

Love that shot. You guys look so happy! :goodvibes
That was a good one.

I had to Google it, but... I like it! Cool!
I only knew because Julie mentioned it in the thread. I don't know much about Rebels. Except that it's a cartoon. About Star Wars. :rotfl:

Uh, huh. "no longer had to go"
Did you set your timer to see how long until she "had to go" again?
And didn't try to choke her?
That's good parenting.
This was our first taste of how this trip was going to be. :sad2: We were definitely losing patience at the end, but didn't want to ruin all recent potty training efforts either. It was rough.

Okay. Now you freaked out, right? Right?
That was pretty cool.

I noticed that right away. That's so awesome!
The fans really get into it, making SWW a fun time to be there.

Way to go!
I was happy to see that she was willing to approach such a big character.

Isn't that illegal? I'm surprised Disney would condone child luring.
I think that is the business they are in? :lmao:

He looks pretty stoked! :laughing:
He sure was.

Awww. Poor Izzy. He time will come.
She really wanted to stay with me. Not sure if she cared about the ride or not, but she didn't want me to go. :sad1:

Complete with cinnamon buns!
Mmmm, now you are making hope there are edible Leia ears - yum! They could sell them at Gaston's. :scratchin

:lmao: Good one!
He was having fun.

:thumbsup2

A grill beats a T-shirt, anyday.
Yay! Yes, he was pretty pleased with it. ::yes::

Uh, oh. Was this your first time on RNR?
Nope. :rolleyes1

Hmm...I totally thought I replied a few posts back but I can't find my post. I could be imagining it but I even remember asking how you made those egg sandwiches. Must be a computer/wifi glich or something!
Huh, weird. I hate when that happens. Thanks for coming back! :goodvibes

OMG these look amazing! I will totally have to look into getting the microwave egg thingy!
I love those little contraptions. So handy and a substantial breakfast in minutes!

Hmm, sorry about the milk spill but looks like you guys dealt with it like pros! I have broken a pair of sunglasses at WDW too. I think I sat on them. And they were really expensive and I was so sad. My sisters also didn't allow me to buy another pair of sunglasses because they said I would jinx the trip by making it rain the moment I bought another pair. But guess what, it rained for half the trip anyways! LOL.
:rotfl: Thankfully they were just a cheap pair. But he liked them, as they fit over his glasses, which was handy. Oh, well. :sad2: (He got them at the Aloha Stadium Swap Meet on our Hawaii trip).

Great update and love all the Dismeets! The pics of Izzy are really cute!
Thanks!

Aww, the meet n greet was super cute!! Love all the pics, and everyone looks so happy! Especially Dug! :rotfl:
He was SO happy!

Jealous that you were the rebel spy! I've ridden that ride over a dozen times and no luck. LOL
It really surprised me, as I hadn't really ever thought of it.

Is this the same rope contraption they have at the DL ride? I remember pulling something like this before...
Based on Lesha's comment below, I'd say so.

People really get into it, so makes it pretty fun to people-watch.

Excellent idea. I like how everyone will benefit from this too :thumbsup2
You're onto me. ::yes:: Nice to have someone else cook dinner sometimes.

Awww, super cute!!!
I love that she came up with that all on her own and was so excited to show it off. :yoda:

Dug is CLEARLY stoked! :hyper:
For sure!

Aw love these ones! And the one with you in it but I guess it didn't quote. Just know I like you too!:thumbsup2:rotfl:
Whew, I'm glad you like me too. :scared: :rotfl2:

Oh my gosh, I love those ears!
Aren't they cute? I'm now wishing I got them for Izzy, as she and Dug agreed that she'd be Princess Leia for Halloween this year.

:thumbsup2

Also, I can't tell you how many times, i've seen parents slap their kids hands away in the Indy queue at Disneyland because of the 'Do Not Pull' sign :rolleyes2 Like Disney would really put something dangerous smack dab right in the middle of the queue :laughing:
Haha, well, at least they're actually trying to parent their kids, I guess. Better to be oblivious to a gag than oblivious to their trouble-making kids. :rotfl:

That's a pretty nice gift! I'm sure he would have liked both.
He was VERY pleased with the grill. :thumbsup2 (We had one, but it was a cheap piece of junk and the igniter button stopped working, so he'd stopped using it).

So sweet.

Oh my gosh how happy does he look! So cute!
He was thrilled to get a Chewie hug! :chewy:

I am so proud of her for coming up with that! :thumbsup2

Izzy's reaction to the Ewok interaction is hilarious. She was like, "They are a character, and I love character meet and greets, but this one is a little strange."
Probably wondering why she'd never seen him on Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. :scratchin

Dug looks so happy to meet Chewie. It's pretty cool that he got the chance to meet him.
He loved it! So excited!

No Rider Swap collection...nice little dose of pixie dust!
Exactly!

I am finally getting caught up on your trip report! My dd just LOVED the bathrooms at Disney. We stop at ever one regardless if we needed to or not. It really got annoying at times! She really loved how her voice echoed in there, so if you were there in March, I apologize for the little girl singing loudly in the bathrooms!
Glad we weren't the only ones making excessive visits to the bathrooms, just to enjoy them. :rotfl:

Hello, I love the report so far and I'm looking forward to more updates :)
Thank you, I appreciate it! :goodvibes

That's so nice of you to say! :blush: Yes, they thankfully outgrow the tantrums. Based on your trip reports, Izzy is much better at eating in restaurants than Anika was at her age, so I'd say you're way ahead of the game! :thumbsup2
Good to know! Yes, she's fairly good at dining out. I think it helps that we've been taking her from a young age, so she's used to it.

Onto comments...

Your character meets (both the Character Spot and the Visa Meet and Greet) looked like so much fun! What great luck that Minnie was one of the Meet and Greet characters!
They were a lot of fun and can't go wrong with Minnie! ::MinnieMo

The character fun certainly continued at Garden Grill! I remember really enjoying my meal there in 2007 - I haven't been back since as there are so many great restaurant choices in Epcot. The food looks tasty, though! ::yes::
It's a great spot, if you have a chance to get back. Of course, it's really great when you have a toddler along that loves characters.

Using your stroller as a cart was a brilliant idea! The prices are crazy, but you would've paid more for hot sandwiches and individual bottles of Coke and milk, so I think you did well.
I'm sure it saved us some money, just sickens me to see the markup. I was initially thinking of bringing an empty piece of luggage to carry stuff in, but realized the stroller would be much easier and look less weird. :rotfl:

I MUST GET THAT SANDWICH MAKER! :worship: I make my own egg sandwiches pretty often, but it would be nice to do it in just a few minutes on weekday mornings without dirtying a pan.
Yes, it makes it really quick and easy - and you can even put it in the dishwasher (scrape out any egg remnants first, though). As a side note, I bought mine at Target and they stock them next to the microwaves - not necessarily where you'd think to look first.

That early morning picture of Izzy eating breakfast is adorable! :lovestruc She does look a bit tired, but so do any of us on a Disney trip!
Haha, true.

Hooray for a successful Chewy run! Dug looks THRILLED about meeting Chewy! I also love that they have an Ewok there with him - I had an Ewok lunchbox as a kid so I'm rather fond of Ewoks. :goodvibes
I love Ewoks! So cute! And Dug was indeed thrilled to get his Chewie hug.

Totally off topic but we took our daughter to my parents house for dinner Friday night and I trusted my husband to get her milk bottle and put it in the diaper bag. Flash forward to getting to my parents house and I picked up the diaper bag and there was. White puddle on the floor cover in the car . All I said out loud was "now I know how dugette felt". My husband thought I was loosing my mind ! I also can't believe how milk can get into every pocket in the bag so quickly and easily!!!
:rotfl2: Ugh, sorry that happened to you, but I love that I'm being referenced in everyday life. :rotfl: I know they say not to cry over spilled milk, but man, it really makes you want to when it gets all over everything like that. :sad2:

I'm all caught up. Loving your latest TR :)
Thanks, glad to have you here! :goodvibes

I’m Going to Go Ride a Roller Coaster Now

We just left Star Tours and were on our way to use my FP+ (and get a Rider Swap) at Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster. :rockband: As we were walking along, I absentmindedly checked my email on my phone, not really expecting anything. However, I had an email from a co-worker (in my personal email, so it was unusual :scratchin). The email was simply a note that I might want to talk to our Controller (my boss’ boss) and a link to a news article. Huh? :confused3

I clicked the link, took one look at the headline, and my heart sank and my stomach dropped to the ground. :faint: Ugh, I can still feel that sick feeling washing over me now. :crazy2:

Some of you may know that I worked for a “small” company that was owned by a very large company. That very large company had been (and still is) going through some major changes and restructuring in the last year or so. Layoffs galore and many significant changes, including closing down various arms of the business. :sad2: Our little company had avoided all of that, as we are very independent, profitable, and not a major concern to the business as a whole. We skated right by the last round of layoffs, being told that we were performing well, making money, and had a great team. We had nothing to worry about. :rolleyes1

Except that this news article said they SOLD us! What?! :scared1:

Granted, we had joked about this happening, but I think this blindsided most of us. We were making them money, why would they sell us? :confused: Well, the simple answer is that they were basically streamlining the business and getting back to basics. We are a much different type of business with entirely different types of customers than the parent company. We just didn’t make sense in their back-to-basics efforts.

However, I was so shocked when I read the article that I didn’t even put together who we were now owned by. Turned out that we basically merged with our longtime partner company and would now be under the same ownership, continuing to work together, just as we have for 30 years.

Most of the information above was what I found out when I called our Controller. Because you better believe I stopped in my tracks at DHS and called his cell phone immediately, demanding explanation. ::yes::

The conversation with him eased my mind quite a bit. He explained what had happened and that he was going to call me that day. The rest of the team had learned about the sale the day before – the first day of our vacation (and, ironically, the first day of my boss’ vacation (to Ireland) also, so he was in the same boat as me on this – thank goodness I have a good relationship with my boss’ boss and could ask him what was going on!) I asked a lot of questions and he provided as many answers as he knew of at the time. Overall, he assured me that more things would stay the same than change. We still had jobs, same location, same work, etc. :thumbsup2 The biggest changes would be in our benefits, as we no longer would be on the payroll of the big ol’ parent corporation. However, most of those benefits details were unclear at the time, so I was definitely worried about things during our trip. All of the not knowing and not being with co-workers to discuss things was really stressful. :scared: Since it’s now been 4 months, I can tell you that more things are the same than different, as promised, but I am definitely less satisfied with the benefits – my retirement took a big hit, other benefits cost more for less coverage, and we lost some major perks/discounts that I utilized regularly. :sad: Essentially, despite the fact that there were no pay cuts, I took an indirect pay cut due to the benefit changes. I am hoping that, come review time, maybe they will take that into account for merit increases, as they are no longer constrained by the merit increase rules of an enormous, impersonal company. :scratchin But, I digress.

So, feeling slightly less nauseated, I wrapped up the phone call by telling him, “I’m going to go ride a roller coaster now.” He replied, “Me too, but a different kind.” :rotfl2:

I knew, consciously, that I needed to put this all out of my mind and enjoy the rest of this long-anticipated trip. I mean, it was our first full day and I didn’t want it to be ruined. However, that is much easier said than done. I found myself checking my work email throughout the trip (I never do that, as I’m non-exempt and not supposed to be working off the clock, but I had to know what was going on and there were many helpful updates). I spent my fair share of time worrying about what I was missing and what I’d be coming back to (the sale finalization date was not until a few days after I returned, but that meant I would have to deal with a lot of things very quickly after the trip). I can’t lie, I’m a very happy person in general, but this was a real downer. :sad2: I know that it affected my enjoyment and memories of this trip in a negative way. I mean, I wasn’t grumpy or anything, and I did have fun, but there was a storm cloud following me around that I just couldn’t shake. :umbrella: (Just a footnote, though, now at 4 months out – things are good. I’m still unhappy with benefit changes, but we are doing well and there are exciting things about having more independence – our leaders now own the company and they’re very committed to our success. Oh, and the Controller I talked to? Well, he’s now the CFO, as our previous one retired and became an Advisor to the board at the time of the sale).

So, what better way to follow up a shock like that than jumping on Disney’s wildest roller coaster? :lmao: Could not have been more perfect. We got the Rider Swap for Dug at 10:07am and I headed in to try to clear my mind, with the help of my buddies in Aerosmith:

I have never been particularly fond of upsidedown roller coasters. I tend to get headaches on them, but one time I was in front of RnRC and realized I felt great. I’ve asked for a front row seat ever since – it’s the only way I make it out of there feeling good. They put you over here on the side to wait for the front row:

And then I got called up and was just awaiting my super stretch limo:

It was a great ride. There is something slightly therapeutic about riding a coaster right after life-changing news. That zero-to-60 can help you forget your troubles. ::yes::

I was out of there by 10:20am and spotted Dug and Izzy over by the restrooms:

I think he had taken her to the potty, but I doubt she used it. I believe I might have taken her too, can’t remember. While we waited for Dug to ride, I got sick of sitting there, so decided to go explore:

We found this little activity station that was empty, so Izzy used it as a playground:

She felt that it was very important for the chairs to all be pushed in (future CM!? :hyper:):

While she was doing that, an older lady/grandma was watching and just thought it was so cute. I chatted with her briefly.

Also, there were pictures of Disney Junior characters on the backdrop, so Izzy enjoyed identifying them.

When Dug came out, it was about 11am, so we needed to find a spot for the Star Wars parade quickly. We weren’t overly concerned about having good spots, as we had the package reserved the next weekend and that included VIP parade viewing. But we did want to catch a glimpse of the celebrity guests that were only there this weekend. Making our way through the crowds to find a viewing spot:

We ended up over to the right of the stage, several people/wookies deep:

We really couldn’t see very much, but we were able to see the screen showing the parade and catch glimpses of the activity on stage:

I see Darth Vader (Izzy loves him! :darth:):

It was not great viewing, but still fun. I think Dug wandered off afterwards because I know that Izzy and I walked around the back of the stage and were chasing R2D2 and also saw some characters go by. Then we must have tracked Dug down.

Our original plans had us getting quick-service food to eat during the parade, but that didn’t happen. Instead, we hightailed it down to ABC Commissary to grab something quick in the A/C. We walked in at 11:38am and it was packed. :crowded: Dug waited in line with Izzy in the stroller and I went to hunt down a table for us. I lucked out and found one immediately that had just emptied, right by the door. :thumbsup2 The food line is right over there:

Once I sat down and claimed the table, I realized that I should have brought Izzy with me. I didn’t think I’d find a table so quickly/closeby and now I was just sitting here by myself while Dug had to stand in line, then manage to get all the food and drinks back to us while also managing Izzy and pushing the stroller. Oops. :headache: But I couldn’t go up there and leave the table - it would be snapped up in a second. At least there were cup holders on the stroller! :rotfl:

It took a while, but eventually Dug and Izzy arrived and we sat down to eat. He got me a chicken sandwich (I let him choose for me, since I had no clue what was on the menu here) – it was pretty good. His burger has shrimp on it:

I believe he got each of us a water too. He got Izzy the Kids Power Pack, which was a great selection. Basically, a cute box full of snacks that she was willing to eat:

She ate some at lunch and we were able to bring the rest along for later. We had to eat pretty quickly because our FP+ for the Frozen Sing-along was looming and I wasn’t about to be late to that again (see my August ’14 TR if you want to read about me running full speed through DHS with a stroller!) :rotfl2:

After shoveling down our lunch, we hustled over to the Premier Theater and made it just at the end of our FP+ window, 12:25pm. Despite having FP+ for this, they didn’t actually scan our bands, just ushered us right inside. We were seated on the left side of the theater with a pillar blocking us. (Last time, I ended up in the back row right, also with a pillar in the way, but this view was better).

After sitting there for a few minutes, I saw a CM pull a family nearby and bring them up to a much better seating area (more front/center). Made me wonder if we actually were in the FP+ area, as it didn’t seem all that great and they hadn’t scanned our bands. :confused3 I went up and asked. But, sure enough, we were in the FP+ area. I don’t know why that other family was moved, but not because of FP+. We settled back into our seats to enjoy the show:

Yep, there’s that pillar (oh, and Anna):

Izzy watched the show very closely:

The storytellers were great and I was happy to hear the full spiel this time (I missed some last time):

Olaf!:

Hey, look, Dug seems to be having fun:

Ahem, oh wait:

Well, since Daddy’s snoozing, time for Izzy selfies:

This pretty much sums it up :lmao::

Could it be Elsa?:

Izzy was very pleased when it snowed. :cold:

I actually have a couple of videos from this show too. It was fairly dark, so most of the videos I tried to take just look like nothing, but you can actually see Izzy for the first half of this one:

(click to watch)

And this other one you really can’t see much, but you can hear Izzy talk and briefly sing (and my terrible singing and Dug’s great singing – guess he woke up!):

(click to watch – or, um, listen)

By the way, there was pretty good participation with the sing-along. You can’t really hear it in the video, but I certainly wasn’t doing a solo or anything (cause nobody wants to hear that! :eek:)

We had a good time and I’m glad I had the chance to do this again.

Up next: Izzy and I go to Epcot and Dug goes to his SWW stage shows.

I can probably guess but I wonder how that ewok "works"? So little!!

Oh I have been there, done that with the doom & gloom news while on vacation! I still remember the panic setting in when standing at the DL turnstiles with DH and getting the news from my mom that a hurricane was set to make landfall in a couple days and she had DS with her!! But I'm glad despite the hiccup on your trip things have been mostly okay with your job. That had to be so stressful though!!

RnRC is a pretty good pick-me-up though, I gotta say!

I'm so excited to do the Frozen Singalong in DHS! It's such a cute little show, and since I don't have a little girl old enough to demand the soundtrack be played a hundred million times in a row, I still love all of the songs. lol

The work stuff is so stressful on vacation. I once went on vacation with really poor cell service waiting to see if I was going to get a job offer. I just kept checking the phone with no bars:sad1: I did get the offer though. I also have a co-worker, from two companies now, that tends to go on vacation when there are layoffs. I think this has happened 3-4 times now:confused3 He's very excitable, so he always looks like he's having a panic or heart attack for about a week upon his return. I always feel so bad for him and his timing luck. We went on vacation once and put our house on the market the day before (we had already moved into a new house), and there were pending layoffs at my job. I didn't think I was going to get laid off; my boss assured me before I left. However, one of the guys that was in my group got laid off. I was the technical lead of the group but not a manager. That actually worked out well, because I wouldn't have done the layoffs anyway, and I didn't have to feel bad to see him go when it was unfortunately the right decision. We also had to deal with offers on the house, which within only a week of being on the market was a good thing. Don't get me started on what happens when we go on vacation to Europe, ie death, destruction, hell fire, brimstone, cats and dogs living together:scared1: I am so glad that your situation has worked out for the most part. I wonder how beneficial benefits really are some days.

You got the same spot we did in March for the Frozen Sing-Along. We were also running through the park to make it for our FP+. DH was trying to get food, but the wait at Backlot Express was 30 minutes. Luckily, there's a hot dog stand right outside Lights, Motor, Action, next door to Frozen, so we ate while watching the stunt show, but 2 hours after I had intended to eat lunch. The shows at DHS and lack of QS places really makes lunch difficult there sometimes. I have vowed to not over-schedule DHS again. I am not a huge Frozen fan, but DS loved it. He's still got a high-pitched little boys voice, so he sounds like he's in a choir when he sings along. It was very adorable, and he somehow knows all of the lyrics (even though he can't remember to bring his jacket home from school). Looks like Izzy really liked it too.

ugh, always hate when real life interrupts vacation - especially when in the Disney bubble. Glad to hear that all-in-all it could have turned out much worse but can totally get the stress level increase which is note what you want. Not sure if this makes you feel better but cutting back on benefits seems to be everywhere - I know we had a major change to our health care which resulted in higher costs and lower level of benefits (high deductible) - and haven't had any cost of living increases in 3 years so take-home income has gone down each of the last three years ... and we are doing well and buying companies - so seems more just an market trend than anything.

At least you did have that limo ride to the concert to take your mind off things ;)

Sorry your view to the parade was not the best - but at least you knew you had the VIP package for the next week.

Speaking of views - glad you got a better one for the Frozen show compared to your last trip. Also glad to hear that crowd participation was high as that definitely impacts how enjoyable the show it.

Food options aren't the best at DHS (hopefully that is something else that improves with the construction, though I can't even imagine what the wait to get into the Cantina is going to be like) - seems like you did as well as you could have though

We loved those Power Pack kid's meals- so perfect for snack-loving toddlers!

Sorry about the bad news while on vacation :( Hopefully it didn't keep you down for too many days. Yuck.

I'm glad everything worked out with your job. We had a similar experience many years ago while in Disney with my husband's job. It really put a damper on the rest of the trip. Phil is correct about benefits. They sure aren't what they used to be and I think that's pretty much everywhere. And I don't even want to get started on the stock market with pensions. Ugh!

RnRC is a great way to forget your troubles. The first row is the least headache inducing seat? I may have to try that next time.

I've never eaten at ABC Commissary. I heard it has improved and your meals looked good. I hate when counter service restaurants are that packed and you're juggling a tray and trying to find a table.

It really didn't make sense that you would have an obstructed view with FP+. Hmmmm.... Izzy appeared to be enjoying herself. Such a sweetie!

Dug has a great voice! Did he sing in his high school choir or anything like that? Really impressive. I couldn't carry a tune with a handle!

Just have to echo what others are saying about benefits. Ours go up in price every year, the coverage worsens, and we didn't get raises from 2008-2014, oh, except for a very minimal one when they announced they were taking away bonuses...so essentially a pay cut every year. This was the first year we got raises and unfortunately, I have had 3 promotions in the time when they did not give increases, so of course the increase I received doesn't compensate for raises one would assume would come with a promotion. Oh and half of the people that report to me make more than I do. But, I get to work from home, and flexible hours, and that's kind of what matters right now at my son's age and with my DH's work schedule the way it is.

Anyway, looking forward to reading more. Our trip is in a month and any extra tips for traveling with a toddler are welcome!

Oh, BTW, I bought that egg cooker and DS loves his egg and cheese sandwiches that I make for him with it. It's really perfect, since the egg is all one piece instead of the little scrambled bits that would fall out of the bread (if that makes any sense!)

As I grew up in Minnesota and still have many friends there, my Facebook feed had plenty of unhappy or consoling messages over the past year with all the upheaval at your prior company. I'm glad you were able to get a few answers immediately, but I'm sorry about the negative changes to your benefits and the fact that it put a damper on your trip. :worried:

On a brighter note, a ride on Rock N Roller coaster is great medicine for disappointment! :thumbsup2

I really enjoyed the Frozen Sing Along - I'm glad you got a better view this time! It looks like Izzy was really enjoying it (and Dug was really enjoying a chance to sit down in the air conditioning! :laughing: ).

What A rough thing to have happen at the start of a trip!Glad you were able to shake it off and have some fun.

Oh, man. Here you are in a place that is extremely efficient at separating you from your money... and you may be out of a job?!?

So, feeling slightly less nauseated, I wrapped up the phone call by telling him, “I’m going to go ride a roller coaster now.” He replied, “Me too, but a different kind.” :rotfl2:

:laughing: Makes perfect sense.... on both your parts!

I know that it affected my enjoyment and memories of this trip in a negative way. I mean, I wasn’t grumpy or anything, and I did have fun, but there was a storm cloud following me around that I just couldn’t shake.

That's too bad. I'm glad (other than the benefits) that it seems to have worked out.

I have never been particularly fond of upsidedown roller coasters. I tend to get headaches on them, but one time I was in front of RnRC and realized I felt great. I’ve asked for a front row seat ever since – it’s the only way I make it out of there feeling good.

Huh. You wouldn't think it'd make a difference since the ride should be pretty much the same.
Maybe you were focusing on the person in front of you?

:confused3

It was a great ride. There is something slightly therapeutic about riding a coaster right after life-changing news. That zero-to-60 can help you forget your troubles. ::yes::

::yes::

We found this little activity station that was empty, so Izzy used it as a playground:

I remember seeing that... and of course wouldn't dream of touching it.
I failed where Izzy succeeded.

She felt that it was very important for the chairs to all be pushed in (future CM!? :hyper:):

Gotta be neat and tidy, ya know.

I see Darth Vader (Izzy loves him! :darth:):

Has she seen Star Wars IV? She might change her mind. :laughing:

Once I sat down and claimed the table, I realized that I should have brought Izzy with me.

I call that Disney brain.

His burger has shrimp on it:

mmmm... shrimp. All burgers should come with shrimp on top.

We were seated on the left side of the theater with a pillar blocking us.

You'd think that FP seating would be slightly better, not worse.

Hey, look, Dug seems to be having fun:

He does!

Ahem, oh wait:

Oh.... :lmao:

This pretty much sums it up :lmao::

:laughing:

but I certainly wasn’t doing a solo or anything (cause nobody wants to hear that! :eek:)

:laughing: You gave us a sample! And I thought you did just fine.

I'm sorry real life had to intrude on your Disney bubble! You don't want to have to think about the real world, much less job and benefit issues! I'm glad it's been more or less sorted out and hopefully things improve!

It sounds like RnRc was the perfect medicine for your real world blues! And that does look like a fun "play" area you found with Izzy!

Eating at QS at the parks was always very stressful for me. Trying to find a table, entertaining the boys while we had to wait for someone to get food...too much stress! I think I prefer TS but budget and time don't always allow for that. ABC Commissary does look like a good QS choice at HS though!

I'm glad you guys made it on time for the Frozen Sing Along (and Dug's naptime, apparently) this time! It seems like Izzy really enjoyed the show!

Whew! I'm so glad your work news wasn't worse than it was. Although downgrades in benefits really are a bummer. (Does this means no more cool company store trips like in your PTR for the fish extender? Boo:sad2:)

But, hard as it is to put real life aside when it wants to intrude on vacation time, I'm glad you were able to enjoy RnRC! Those snacks for Izzy were such a great idea with the time crunch you were under!

And Yay :yay: for getting a better view of Frozen SingALong this time. (Though, it's definitely a shame there was still a pillar in your line of sight!)

However, I had an email from a co-worker (in my personal email, so it was unusual :scratchin). The email was simply a note that I might want to talk to our Controller (my boss’ boss) and a link to a news article. Huh? :confused3
Uh oh...

Well, that is just the type of news you want to get when you're on vacation.

However, I was so shocked when I read the article that I didn’t even put together who we were now owned by. Turned out that we basically merged with our longtime partner company and would now be under the same ownership, continuing to work together, just as we have for 30 years.
Well, it certainly doesn't sound quite so bad. I'm still sorry that you had to find this out while in the middle of DHS though.

Since it’s now been 4 months, I can tell you that more things are the same than different, as promised, but I am definitely less satisfied with the benefits – my retirement took a big hit, other benefits cost more for less coverage, and we lost some major perks/discounts that I utilized regularly. :sad: Essentially, despite the fact that there were no pay cuts, I took an indirect pay cut due to the benefit changes.
Good to know. Except for that part about the benefits. Those losses can really add up quick.

:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

I can’t lie, I’m a very happy person in general, but this was a real downer.
I absolutely understand and I can't blame you at all for being somewhat affected by this news.

I headed in to try to clear my mind, with the help of my buddies in Aerosmith:
That always helps! :thumbsup2

Once I sat down and claimed the table, I realized that I should have brought Izzy with me. I didn’t think I’d find a table so quickly/closeby and now I was just sitting here by myself while Dug had to stand in line, then manage to get all the food and drinks back to us while also managing Izzy and pushing the stroller. Oops.
::yes:: You really screwed Dug over on this one. :rotfl2:

But in your defense, you were a little bit distracted. :rolleyes1

We were seated on the left side of the theater with a pillar blocking us. (Last time, I ended up in the back row right, also with a pillar in the way, but this view was better).
Hey! That is pretty much exactly where we sat in December. Also walking up just before they closed FP+.

And why wouldn't there be pillars in the middle of a theater??? :confused3 :rolleyes1

Izzy was very pleased when it snowed. :cold:
No matter whether you like Frozen or not... there' just something about the effects of the ice & snow. It really is pretty cool.

By the way, there was pretty good participation with the sing-along. You can’t really hear it in the video, but I certainly wasn’t doing a solo or anything (cause nobody wants to hear that! :eek:)
::yes:: The crowd really does seem to get into it and go along with it. But I just keep my mouth shut, cause nobody wants to hear that noise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter