"I'm NOT a Princess, I'm Izzy!" - May '15 Land/Sea ~ Updated 6/4: Link to Disneyland TR!!!

Wow, Izzy is 3 already?! I swear I was just reading your pregnancy updates. Time really does fly...

Sounds like the perfect little weekend getaway anniversary trip! How nice that you went back to the area you got engaged in. It looks beautiful. Cold, though. I think my Floridian blood would freeze if I had to wear a hat in October.

Those pies look delicious! I can certainly see why you didn't want to stop eating it.

We only needed a small cake, so it wasn’t quite like the picture, but still really cute:

That turned out great! Izzy must've been thrilled when she saw it!

Here she is blowing out the three candles that she insisted on having:

Well, of course. Gotta have candles... and the correct amount.

Four generations celebrating:

Nice keepsake photo.

The other big recent celebration was that Dug and I celebrated our 10th anniversary on 10/1.

Congratulations! Happy Anniversary!

FYI, the first week of October is the preferred time to get married. Just sayin'.

But, we made a last-minute call to go to Duluth on the cheap for one night

Next time make it a bit longer and drive a little farther north west.

My dad and stepmom happily agreed to take Izzy overnight

Nice. Getaway sans rug rat.

After that, we swung by the Olcott House Bed & Breakfast, which was where we actually got engaged.

Nice little trip down memory lane.

Interestingly enough, if we had $1.2 million lying around, we could actually buy the whole place, as it’s currently for sale!

Nah. I bet you could get it for $1.17 million.

I wasn’t up for the haunted boat because I wasn’t feeling well and felt that the ghosts would “get me”.:rotfl2:

:laughing:

Our destination was the movie theater and we saw The Martian, which we enjoyed.

Just saw that on Friday. Thought it was really good.

Cute pic of two rested parents.

The captain was wearing his toddler in a back carrier the whole time. Pretty cool.

Really!

but I guess I had a lot of highlights, so enjoy:

I did! Thanks!

This was the taconite plant we passed:

Yes. I had to Google what taconite was.

It was a great time, but we had one more stop planned afterwards: Betty’s Pies!

Wha??? Whazzat? Did someone say pie????

we were really there for the pie:

I SHOULD HOPE SO!

I thought pie was going to start coming out of my ears for the next hour. But it was good. ::yes::

That's how you know it's good.

I always enjoy the off-topic type updates and mini-TRs, so hope you do too! :goodvibes

I do! Thanks!

Happy belated birthday, Izzy and happy belated anniversary to you and Dug! That Doc cake is so cute! How lucky are you to still have your grandmother?! I love generation photos.

That's great that the two of you were able to get away for your anniversary. I live in Northwest Indiana and it seems like the fall colors are coming late this year, also. Definitely my favorite time of year.

Betty's Pies sounds like a must do when in the area. Did you bring home a pie for yourselves or just your dad and stepmom?

First off, Izzy turned 3 a few weeks ago! :cake: I can’t believe how quickly the last three years have gone by and how much she’s grown up. :faint:
Happy Birthday Izzy!

That will put a dent in the budget for the next Disney trip. :rolleyes1

Seemed strange to go out of town without Izzy
Strange... but it is definitely great to get some kids free time when you can!

It was actually peak fall colors time, but there are not a lot of color-changing trees in this area – but we did see some.
Nice views... even if not as colorful as some other areas.

I was surprised at how many rock climbers we saw :eek:
Better a calm day than a windy one!

I don't know anything else, but if it is called Betty's Pies, I think I want to eat there.

The food was good (I had a great BLT on parmesan-crusted bread), but we were really there for the pie:
I gathered that much from the name of the place.

You should have just skipped the BLT and went straight for the pie!

Then we drove back home and got our dog and kid and called it a night.

Fun to have a little mini-getaway! Thanks for indulging me. I always enjoy the off-topic type updates and mini-TRs, so hope you do too! :goodvibes
Looks like a nice little anniversary trip. I'm glad you were able to get away for it!

Isn't it amazing how fast they grow up....it seems like just yesterday. :)

Off topic but, if you or anyone reading, happen to hear of anyone getting rid of Ryder Cup 2016 tickets for a decent price, my DH would love to go. He "won" 3 tickets to the Monday Practice Round of the Masters 2016 (can't find anyone to go with him though, golf isn't my thing :) ) but wasn't lucky enough to get any for the Ryder cup which he would prefer to go to.

I would love to surprise him but all of the tickets sites are just too expensive right now. Thanks!

A little North Shore tradition – diner food and great pies, right on the lake. We got there and it was crowded, as usual, but I went to the to-go counter and got a pie for my dad and step-mom while we waited (what better way to thank them for watching our dog and kid?) We ended up seated way in the back, in a sunroom I didn’t even know was there:

I really liked it back there! The food was good (I had a great BLT on parmesan-crusted bread), but we were really there for the pie:

I had a toffee pie (think Heath Bar) and Dug had a Blackberry Peach. Yum! But SO FILLING! :crazy2: I really should have stopped eating, but I HAD to finish. I thought pie was going to start coming out of my ears for the next hour. But it was good. ::yes::
I love Betty's pies! So good. We went there for the first time in May. Good food and great pies.

Happy Birthday to Izzy! Now I guess you have to pay for park tickets for her since she is 3? I always wonder how will they know, really? Kids don't walk around with ID! :rotfl:

Happy Anniversary! Ours is coming up too (11/1!) - We're going to see a Broadway show (Book of Mormon) on the actual day and then a few days later we're headed to Hawaii (Oahu) for a week! Where will you be headed in January?

Duluth looks really fun ! I love locations by the water. That salami basket looks like something I'd totally devour! I love salami, bread, cheese, butter, olives, basically everything you had!

Yum, the pies sound amazing too. I like pie more than cake! :thumbsup2

I'm sure!
Yeah, nothing like delivering a bunch of merchandise from the company store of the company that just sold you off. :rolleyes:

An important lesson! And one that still gets a good deal of use at our house!
Strangely, a couple days of this trip is the extent of her blankie-toting. Not sure why, but she was just really attached to it briefly. :confused3

Annoying that she didn't say something sooner. Even if it's just "Hi back there, our system is down right now but it shouldn't be too long if you want to wait. Oh? Just water? Great, here you go!"
Exactly! ::yes:: Just a bit of eye contact or brief acknowledgement would have been nice. It felt like we were intruding or something.

I'm always impressed when people are able to let their little ones just play with stuff like this and not get antsy with impatience. I'm fine if we're with people, but if it's just me and DS I always feel like we just.need.to.leave.now to get wherever it is we're heading:worried: So, good for you!:thumbsup2
Haha, thanks! Well, I've been conditioned by the DIS - I've seen so many good hat photo montages and saw an opportunity! :smickey: And it was really only a couple minutes on our way to...well, nowhere urgent.

Chomper!! :love: DS is a big fan. In fact, we were reading a Star Wars book the other day that focused on R2D2 and C3PO and at first he was telling me that R2D2 was Chomper :confused3 I had to clarify but it was pretty cute all the same!
Oh, so that's who he is. I think I have the opposite problem of your son and just call them all R2D2. :rotfl: (Yes, for someone writing a SWW report, I am not as well-versed as I should be - but I'm married to someone who is, so I pick up a few things).

Well, if it is illegally parked, then I'm guilty too. We've parked a stroller there before.
I guess I don't know for sure if it was "illegal", but there were no other strollers there and no signs indicating stroller parking. I was a bit paranoid it would be moved, but we had to get into that bathroom quickly and I didn't want to drag the stroller up there. Glad it was still there waiting for us after.

And now I have a question... did they get rid of the car that sat in that alley/street, or is it just behind where you were standing?
Honestly, I am a bit oblivious to things sometimes, so I have no idea. :blush: But I don't think it was there? :confused:

Oh boy... and this was supposed to be easy! At least it was finally taken care of and you were on your way.
In theory, this stand right by the exit seems like a great place to stop quick and grab a water to go. I mean, it hardly sells anything and never has more than 1 person in line. Yet, I'm 0 for 2 on the quick stop thing. :confused3

Dug wins.
Yep, for sure!

Maybe something from the new movie????? :rotfl2:
I should ask him when he gets home. :scratchin

Ok, I'm disturbed by this. 17% say Greedo? Really? And these are Star Wars fans? Come on!!!
Maybe they just don't understand technology and voted wrong? :confused3 Maybe their toddlers grabbed their phones away? :scratchin

I have almost the exact same photo of my daughter (when she was two) wearing the Goofy hat-covering her face and everything.
Haha, love it! Classic childhood Disney photo! :goofy:

We were at that same Stars of the Saga show. I believe the dinosaur is another character that actress does the voice for.
Oh, well, I don't need to ask Dug anymore. Andy, here's your answer! :goodvibes Thanks!

They explained the dog too but I forgot.
Hmmm, I'm going with her beloved pet dog. Or maybe a really advanced droid? :rotfl:

awe, I love the pic of Izzy looking up at you from inside her carriage..... so precious! Enjoy these times, they go by all to fast.
Aw, I love that you call it a carriage! That sounds so much more special than stroller. :thumbsup2 Yes, I really try to enjoy all the times - I can certainly see how fast it goes. I mean, Izzy's a full-fledged little person now. She talks and listens and has opinions and insights. Crazy, since she was practically just born! :faint:

Yep.

See? Toldja.
::yes::

You started a trend.
Well, you know me, always leading the pack. :rotfl2:

Hey! We got ice water from that same spot this past August.
Did they ignore you for 10 minutes first?

Yeah, so like that's a cute picture. :goodvibes
Glad everyone is enjoying it - I really had nothing better to do than take random pictures while standing there in line.

:laughing: Because he wanted you to enjoy it too!
Yes, I'm sure that's it. ::yes::

Oh, for Pete's sake! What did she think people were lining up for???
Guess she thought we were all waiting to buy a bag of chips or one of the few other items actually for sale there.

Yep. That'll do it everytime.
Indeed.

Maybe that's a voiceover she does?
Sounds like it is.

The two "Ds" of Disney Star Wars.
Where is the third D - Death Star? (Hey, look, I knew a Star Wars thing! :cool1:)

Ah yes... the omnipresent blankie.
How I remember those days.
She does love her blankies (I'm fairly sure she's sleeping with 6 or 7 of them right now), but she only went through a couple days of wanting to carry it around with her, so I guess that's good.

So... would you have gone ahead anyway? Risking it?
I'd already done it by the time the concern occurred to me. If I'd thought of it first, I probably would have texted him to make sure he'd scanned to get into his show before doing it.

Hmm...I seem to remember leaving our stroller in the exact same spot. So I guess we were illegal too? But I think I remember a car being parked in the little alley there?
Hmmmm, you seem to be addressing Andy's question. Either I am more oblivious than I think or the car was gone. :confused3

I'm sorry getting the ice water was such a struggle! Love the hats!
Thanks!

That does look like a fun show - Nate loves Star Wars Rebels and I think I spy Ezra, Sabine, and Chopper. He would love that! I would like a SWW trip but I'm not sure what will happen with the new changes and Season of the Force, etc.
I bet he'd love it - there was a lot of Rebels stuff, so far as I can tell. I hope you get some SWW/Season in sometime. They really do make it a lot of fun.

Hope you and Izzy found some fun in Epcot!
We did! :goodvibes

I love that you and Dug can tell what the other was doing at the same time thanks to your picture timestamps! :thumbsup2
It's pretty neat - they automatically sort themselves together when we download them. Funny to see what we were doing at the same moment.

The water stand situation sounds rather irritating - I know the CM knew the system was down, but all of you in line didn't! :headache: It would've been nice if she's stopped her conversation periodically to let new guests know that the system was down. All of you could've had your waters a lot quicker!
Exactly! She was just so completely focused on her conversation with the guy at the counter that we all felt awkward about interrupting.

Oooo, a new character! Alice? Mary? (Who else is in Britain?! I feel like you've met Pooh and Tigger... :scratchin )
We may have met the characters, but not in this particular location. :rolleyes1

Oh my goodness, your job stress sounds awful!! I can't imagine getting that kind of news on vacation. Completely understand how that would put a damper on your trip. I mean, no matter how much you tell yourself to not think about it, you can't just brush that kind of news off.
I'm really glad to hear things are (mostly) the same still.
Yeah, it definitely caught me off guard and, though I was glad to know about it vs. being in the dark, it was constantly on my mind, as there were so many uncertainties and I felt really out of the loop. But things are mostly the same and still pretty good. Hoping they will start getting even better, we'll see.

Izzy trying on all those hats is adorable. I loved the Goofy one.
Thanks! She was really into it and HAD to try them all. I actually have pictures of all of them, but the others aren't great shots.

I love that you were able to just walk to your room to refresh supplies. That sounds wonderful!
It was really nice just to swing up and grab some more milk and pop, etc. Very convenient.

Oooh, the outdoor kitchens! One of my favorite additions to Flower and Garden.
I love that they have those! Makes me a lot more willing to entertain the thought of returning during F&G in lieu of F&W.

Dug had some solo time! How fun! It looked like he really enjoyed SWW to the fullest!
He really did! It helped a lot that we were able to FP+ some of the shows and see the others during our package day (the next weekend).

I would totally get a snack in between shows too. I'm jealous he got to go to the Stars of the Saga show - I wanted to do that but it was full. Oh well! Maybe another year.
Yes, catch it another year! They really do a great job with the shows - I went to them in 2010 and really enjoyed them, despite not being a huge Star Wars geek.

Cute hats on Izzy! I especially like the Goofy one.
Thanks! That was a fun, spontaneous stop!

Can't wait to see what's for dinner...
Me either...I'm taking so long to write this TR that I've already forgotten! :rotfl2:

Looks like Dug was having a good afternoon .... Stormtroopers, Dinosaurs, Droids, Hotdogs, .... good times
Yes, can't beat that combo. :thumbsup2

bummer about the delay at that one stand - but seems like it didn't cost you too much.
Well, that water was free. ;) But, yeah, we weren't in a giant rush or anything. Just impatient. :rotfl:

How convenient to just walk from DHS, stop at your room, and continue on to EPCOT!
It really was wonderful and a huge selling point for the Boardwalk, especially when you plan to spend a fair amount of time at DHS and Epcot. I can see that being a good location again once they have all the new stuff open at DHS. And you can get fairly affordable rooms there by renting DVC points. :teacher:

new character experience, that sounds fun!
This was one I had hoped to do and was lucky enough to seize the opportunity.

Hi! I am all caught up!! Sorry for my absence ;)
Haha, I think you have a good excuse with France and all. :goodvibes

I had to look back at what I was doing at 3 at EPCOT when you texted, looks like you were texting while we were in Soarin' doing a swap, I think we may have also done Nemo? IDK. But we met up not too long afterwards :)
I think that sounds right with Soarin' - you might have mentioned that. But, yeah, it wasn't too long before we met up.

I'm surprised you went to ABC Commissary LOL - glad it worked out okay. THat is on my list of never.to.return restaurants. I don't even remember why now but I know it was from my trip with my mom in 2000 - so I guess after 15 years it could have changed a bit ;)
It certainly wasn't on our list, but not much at DHS is. But it was quick, nearby, and air-conditioned, so we went for it. Worked out fine. Nothing special, but filled our bellies and didn't poison us, so I guess that's a win. :rotfl:

Interesting to read some background on your job info, I'm glad to hear that you are overall happy with any changes except for those benefits - that does really stink since I know you used them quite a bit and got really good at it too! LOL. Sounds like RnRC was a great choice right then though!
Thanks. I am anxiously awaiting our 2016 benefits meeting coming up later this month (for open enrollment coming at the end of the year). I am really hoping they improve a couple of offerings. I may have been one of the more vocal people in pushing for improvements. But I certainly don't have my hopes up. But it would be really nice if we could at least get back to about the place where we were with retirement and other benefit offerings. Fingers crossed!

Looking forward to more! :)
Thanks!

:lovestruc Very Cute. And that reminded me... I scored some ears at a consignment sale last night and had to get them properly stashed for March.
Sweet! Great score! :thumbsup2 Love finding genuine Disney merchandise at consignment sales!

Maybe she was talking up coming projects and is going to be in this new dino movie coming out soon? :confused3
According to one of the previous comments, I guess she does the voice for the dino. I couldn't tell you what it's in, though. :confused:

:rotfl::rotfl2::lmao: I chop it up to misinformed youth who have only seen the recent edited ones.
I'm still going with toddlers grabbing the phones to vote. ::yes::

I just saw I missed your update regarding Izzy's birthday and your 10 year anniversary! Glad to hear you had a nice night away and were able to plan it out last minute. What a fun weekend! Looks like you chose some beautiful places to spend the two days, though it sure looked cold lol! I still haven't gotten used to the idea of winter!

Happy Birthday to Izzy and Happy Anniversary to you and Dug! :goodvibes

Always nice to get little getaway/break and sounds like you had a nice time ... Plus pie!

Great real-time update! DH and I celebrated our 10 year anniversary this past August :) Izzy's cake is absolutely adorable...almost too pretty to eat....wow! Very talented pastry chef!

And, just like when I had stopped there last time, there was only one person in front of me, but a huge delay with the guest and CM chatting endlessly and ignoring the forming line. :sad2:

So frustrating. I think these sorts of things make me so crazy because I'm more introverted and just like to do my transaction completed and move along. My mom is the opposite....she'd look at someones CM tag and talk for an hour. "Oh, you're from Memphis? I've been there! What kind of BBQ do you like? What's your dog's name?"

I ended up talking with the guests behind me and found out they only wanted water too. We got the CM’s attention, though she was still chatting with the other guest, and it turns out she was chatting away because their system was down. :headache: Once we told her we all only wanted waters, she got them for us. I just wish she had addressed us sooner. Oh, well. Time to head to Epcot!

Ugh, the worst. Did she think that everyone could read her mind and tell what was happening?

But we quickly got distracted on our way out – by the hat stand:

I think Izzy actually tried on ALL of them, but here’s a small sampling:

Maple will love this. Right now she just says "Hat? hat. Hat? hat." and then puts all manner of things on her head, like plates and socks and grass.

And Dug’s show apparently featured dogs and droids:

Ummm? Ha.

Izzy insisted on carrying her blankie (that was meant to coax her into napping), so I had to teach her how to ball it up so that it didn’t drag on the ground.
Good one to try and teach girlfriend before we go. Currently she's bringing it to daycare for comfort and I've been throwing it in the washing machine as soon as she gets home.

First off, Izzy turned 3 a few weeks ago! :cake: I can’t believe how quickly the last three years have gone by and how much she’s grown up. :faint:

Awww! So cliche, but time really does fly! It's fun to watch her grow up, though!

Such a cute cake!!! Love it! :thumbsup2

That’s Duluth’s famous lift bridge and Lake Superior, by the way.

We then drove the Skyline Drive and enjoyed the views. After that, we swung by the Olcott House Bed & Breakfast, which was where we actually got engaged. We didn’t stay there this time, though, as it was booked when we made our last-minute decision to go. Interestingly enough, if we had $1.2 million lying around, we could actually buy the whole place, as it’s currently for sale! (http://www.edinarealty.com/homes-for-sale/2316-E-1st-St-Duluth-MN-55812-117151329). (Photo 14 on there is the room we got engaged in!)
Cute! I love Duluth. We had some close family friends that lived there and ran the TV station for years. I went up there for my 18th birthday and went to the casino in WI. I also overindulged on some cranberry vodkas for the first time. Ooops! Must have been the fresh air!

Our friends used to watch the freighters and the bears from their deck. Ha. So cold, though! Happy Anniversary!

We are exciting people, haha! :rotfl:
Ha! After we took our first vacation without our dog (a cruise to
Ensenada, Mexico on a very crummy Carnival ship. I vowed I would never cruise again!), whom we treated like our child, we slept the ENTIRE time. It was amazing. I still haven't left Maple overnight, even in town!

Oh, before we left Duluth, we stopped back to the awesome sandwich place (Northern Waters Smokehouse) and picked up a “Salami Basket” to go. We ate this as we waited for the boat to disembark:

Amazing! Bread, meat, cheese, homemade butter, olives, lettuce. Just yum!

Umm, amazing! I wish that they offered lunches like this everywhere all the time. It's exactly what I want!

Beautiful! I just love Lake Superior!!

I had a toffee pie (think Heath Bar) and Dug had a Blackberry Peach. Yum! But SO FILLING! :crazy2: I really should have stopped eating, but I HAD to finish. I thought pie was going to start coming out of my ears for the next hour. But it was good. ::yes::
Yum! Saw this place on Andrew Zimmern's show -- I didn't realize that he was from MN. He had sauerkraut pie... which is pretty bizarre! It's on our list when we get up there!

Oh, and I'm not going to quote it, but so glad everything worked out with your job. On our last trip, I got a call from my boss that I needed to put my name in the hat to replace her (after I had already declined to take it). I was forced to think about it for almost our entire trip, and it was such a drain. Oh, and I was 5 1/2 months pregnant, so that made me a little more anxious about everything (I ended up quitting and we moved to Wisconsin two months after Maple was born, so whoops!).

But it's never fun to have those things crop up on vacation! Though, I kind of wonder if it makes it easier to bear... since you're in paradise and can jump on a roller coaster!

Most of the information above was what I found out when I called our Controller. Because you better believe I stopped in my tracks at DHS and called his cell phone immediately, demanding explanation.

Yep would have done the same thing!

So, feeling slightly less nauseated, I wrapped up the phone call by telling him, “I’m going to go ride a roller coaster now.” He replied, “Me too, but a different kind.” :rotfl2:

:rotfl: That's so nerve wracking though, not knowing fully what is happening, even if you do have some tidbits of info. I hate that!

I can’t lie, I’m a very happy person in general, but this was a real downer. :sad2: I know that it affected my enjoyment and memories of this trip in a negative way. I mean, I wasn’t grumpy or anything, and I did have fun, but there was a storm cloud following me around that I just couldn’t shake.

This is me! If something gets me super anxious or worried, it's hard for me to put it on the back burner. But glad that everything turned out to be okay (or at least somewhat okay!) in the end. :goodvibes

She felt that it was very important for the chairs to all be pushed in (future CM!? :hyper:):

We can only hope! :hyper: I would so not be opposed to DS being a CM. More trips?! Uh, yes please! You know. To visit my son who'll i'll miss dearly ::yes::

Once I sat down and claimed the table, I realized that I should have brought Izzy with me. I didn’t think I’d find a table so quickly/closeby and now I was just sitting here by myself while Dug had to stand in line, then manage to get all the food and drinks back to us while also managing Izzy and pushing the stroller. Oops. :headache: But I couldn’t go up there and leave the table - it would be snapped up in a second. At least there were cup holders on the stroller! :rotfl:

Really though, I bet it was probably good for you to have a few minutes of alone time after that call.

Hey, look, Dug seems to be having fun:

Ahem, oh wait:

:rotfl::rotfl2::lmao:

(cause nobody wants to hear that! :eek:)

I do, I do!:wave::wave2:

And I was watching not much of anything:

:lmao::headache:

IMG_9826_zpsnhtnaf6r.jpg

Very, very cute, I bet she loved it!

Aw that's amazing :goodvibes

The other big recent celebration was that Dug and I celebrated our 10th anniversary on 10/1. (Yes, we share our anniversary date with WDW, but didn’t know at the time :thumbsup2).

Happy Anniversary! :banana:And how cool is that that you share it with WDW:eek::cool1:

Gorgeous! And it looks cold! Jealous. Glad you had such a fun trip!

Wow, Izzy is 3 already?! I swear I was just reading your pregnancy updates. Time really does fly...
I know, I can't believe it. Seems like yesterday in many ways.

Sounds like the perfect little weekend getaway anniversary trip! How nice that you went back to the area you got engaged in. It looks beautiful. Cold, though. I think my Floridian blood would freeze if I had to wear a hat in October.
It is beautiful and scenic there. It wasn't horribly cold, but the wind on the first day made it feel much colder. That second day, I probably didn't need the hat, but left it on anyway (and it was nice on the boat, since that was a bit colder).

Those pies look delicious! I can certainly see why you didn't want to stop eating it.
I just couldn't leave any pie on the plate. :rotfl: It was very tasty.

:bday: Izzy!!!!!
Thank you!

Goes by too quickly doesn't it?
Sure does! You blink and they're not a baby anymore.

We were very happy with it!

That turned out great! Izzy must've been thrilled when she saw it!
Haha, well, she was rather disappointed that it wasn't the double-decker one like the picture she'd seen. But she got over it.

Well, of course. Gotta have candles... and the correct amount.
She's certainly got things figured out. ::yes::

Nice keepsake photo.
For sure - I try to get one each time we visit.

Congratulations! Happy Anniversary!

FYI, the first week of October is the preferred time to get married. Just sayin'.
Good to know! And thanks!

Next time make it a bit longer and drive a little farther north west.
Hmmmm, wonder what's up there? :scratchin

Nice. Getaway sans rug rat.
It was nice.

Nice little trip down memory lane.
Fun to go back and see it again.

Nah. I bet you could get it for $1.17 million.
Quite possibly. If, you know, we had that kind of money. :teacher:

I was genuinely concerned that I was no match for the happy haunts. :rotfl:

Just saw that on Friday. Thought it was really good.
We really enjoyed it.

Cute pic of two rested parents.
Thanks!

Yeah, he wore the kid most of the time, then walked around later on (when the other guy was driving) and chatted with us. He was holding the kid then - found out he was 16 months old or so, but about Izzy's size! :eek:

I did! Thanks!
Glad you did!

Yes. I had to Google what taconite was.
I actually did that too! :rotfl2:

Wha??? Whazzat? Did someone say pie????
Oh, yes! ::yes::

I SHOULD HOPE SO!
Though it also would have been acceptable to be there for the pie shakes too. :thumbsup2 (And, yes, this is a real thing - they throw a slice of pie into a shake and blend it).

That's how you know it's good.
Yes, when you are certain pie is going to squirt out of your ear, it must be delicious. :listen:

I do! Thanks!
:goodvibes

Happy belated birthday, Izzy and happy belated anniversary to you and Dug! That Doc cake is so cute! How lucky are you to still have your grandmother?! I love generation photos.
Thanks on all counts! Yes, the cake turned out super cute. And I feel so lucky to still have my grandma. In fact, I was lucky enough to still have all 4 grandparents until I was 28. And I had my grandpa (on my dad's side) until 4 years ago (he was 94). My grandma is 88 and honestly doesn't seem any different than 20 years ago. She still lives on her own and is sharp as a tack - but I know that, at her age, things could change at any time. I'm glad to have had so much time with her and also love that she and Izzy have gotten to know each other (all of my other grandparents had passed away before Izzy came along). Interestingly enough, on the generation photos, like a week earlier we got a four generation photo on Dug's side - Izzy, Dug, Dug's dad, and his dad's dad. Izzy's a lucky kid!

That's great that the two of you were able to get away for your anniversary. I live in Northwest Indiana and it seems like the fall colors are coming late this year, also. Definitely my favorite time of year.
I always have mixed feelings about the fall. As a kid, it was my favorite season. Loved the leaves, the cool temperatures, the excitement of holidays around the corner, etc. And I still like those, but I've grown to dread winter a bit more each year and that really brings down the excitement.

Betty's Pies sounds like a must do when in the area. Did you bring home a pie for yourselves or just your dad and stepmom?
We only brought home the pie for them. Though, they did offer that we could join them for some pie when we got there that night. However, I was still chock full of pie from hours before, so we passed.

yum! Betty's Pies, makes me want to get in my car and drive 3 hours to go get some!!
I know, it's so good! I love all the different flavors they have to choose from too. Definitely something I look forward to on a trip up to the North Shore. And, honestly, that BLT was great too, so I need to go with a big appetite next time, I think.

Happy Birthday Izzy!

That will put a dent in the budget for the next Disney trip. :rolleyes1
Thanks. And, yes, I'm dreading paying for her tickets and buffets now. :faint: I had thought about that with Disneyland, as we were originally going to go next month, so she'd have barely turned three - and she's not quite 37 inches, so really can't do any more than a 2.75 year old. However, now that we're likely going in February instead, I feel a bit better, as she'll be firmly entrenched in the 3s. But probably still too short to ride Lightning McQueen (her request tonight).

Strange... but it is definitely great to get some kids free time when you can!
For sure, it's a nice treat to relax and not have to be catering to a 3-foot-tall person's needs at all times. But it did seem odd, as we've never gone further than maybe 45 minutes away without her.

Nice views... even if not as colorful as some other areas.
It was very pretty, but not as colorful as our neighborhood is right now (I had to drive around today just to admire all the red/yellow/orange trees).

Better a calm day than a windy one!
Haha, true. :rotfl:

I don't know anything else, but if it is called Betty's Pies, I think I want to eat there.
Yep, I think you do. ::yes::

I gathered that much from the name of the place.

You should have just skipped the BLT and went straight for the pie!
In retrospect, that would have been a good idea. Or at least had the pie first. The BLT was actually quite tasty, though.

Looks like a nice little anniversary trip. I'm glad you were able to get away for it!
Thanks, it was a really nice getaway. Nothing as glamorous as we thought (many years ago) that we'd be doing on our 10th anniversary, but it was just what we needed.

Isn't it amazing how fast they grow up....it seems like just yesterday. :)
For sure! Just blows me away to see her become a little person vs. a baby. Happens so fast.

Off topic but, if you or anyone reading, happen to hear of anyone getting rid of Ryder Cup 2016 tickets for a decent price, my DH would love to go. He "won" 3 tickets to the Monday Practice Round of the Masters 2016 (can't find anyone to go with him though, golf isn't my thing :) ) but wasn't lucky enough to get any for the Ryder cup which he would prefer to go to.

I would love to surprise him but all of the tickets sites are just too expensive right now. Thanks!
I have to say that I know absolutely nothing about this, but hope someone else does! :goodvibes

I love Betty's pies! So good. We went there for the first time in May. Good food and great pies.
Such a great place to stop for a meal (or just dessert)! It's like a North Shore tradition to me (and to many others, I'm sure). Glad you got there!

Happy Birthday to Izzy! Now I guess you have to pay for park tickets for her since she is 3? I always wonder how will they know, really? Kids don't walk around with ID! :rotfl:
Yes, I'm dreading the extra expense. I've read some things about that and I think the consensus is that Disney doesn't check IDs or anything, but they might ask the kid how old they are (and Izzy would definitely yell "THREE!"). It's more of an ethical dilemma than anything. I had looked into it a bit when we thought we might be in Disneyland so shortly after her turning three, but I concluded I'd buy her a ticket (despite the $300 price tag! :faint:) It is a bit unfair, though, as some 2-year-olds are tall enough to ride "big rides" and don't need to pay, but she's short enough at 3 that she can't ride those things, but has to pay as much as the kids who can ride. :headache: Seems like there should be a height component, but I'm sure that could get complicated.

Happy Anniversary! Ours is coming up too (11/1!) - We're going to see a Broadway show (Book of Mormon) on the actual day and then a few days later we're headed to Hawaii (Oahu) for a week! Where will you be headed in January?
Happy almost anniversary to you too! Sounds like great anniversary plans! We're going to Oahu in January - 5 nights on the North Shore (found a Turtle Bay area condo on airbnb), then 4 nights at Aulani (rented DVC again). Can't wait! By the way, if you don't already know this, I have a still-slowly-in-progress TR for our prior Aulani trip in November of 2014, so same time of year you're going to Oahu - if you wanted to check it out (link in my signature).

Duluth looks really fun ! I love locations by the water. That salami basket looks like something I'd totally devour! I love salami, bread, cheese, butter, olives, basically everything you had!
That salami basket was SO good. Better than it looks in the picture. The whole time, between bites, we were both raving about how amazing it was. :thumbsup2

Yum, the pies sound amazing too. I like pie more than cake! :thumbsup2
I'm with you on that! I'm not a big cake person, really. I prefer unique cakes - standard white or chocolate or whatever doesn't interest me much. But I like most pies. Yum, yum!

Thought so.
::yes::

Nah. Only two.
Much better!

And providing you with stellar service, too!
Naturally.

:rotfl2:

I just saw I missed your update regarding Izzy's birthday and your 10 year anniversary! Glad to hear you had a nice night away and were able to plan it out last minute. What a fun weekend! Looks like you chose some beautiful places to spend the two days, though it sure looked cold lol! I still haven't gotten used to the idea of winter!
Yeah, I'm glad we decided to do the last-minute getaway. It was really nice and great scenery. A little chilly with the wind off the lake, but unfortunately nothing compared to what I know is coming. Ugh, winter. :cold: Every year I wonder why I still live here. At least we have Hawaii and California to look forward to in January and February - much warmer than the worst part of winter here. :thumbsup2

Happy Birthday to Izzy and Happy Anniversary to you and Dug! :goodvibes

Always nice to get little getaway/break and sounds like you had a nice time ... Plus pie!
Thanks so much! It was really nice to get away and have a mini vacation - and pie! :thumbsup2

Great real-time update! DH and I celebrated our 10 year anniversary this past August
Wow, congratulations to you too! Good year for a 10-year anniversary! And thanks!

Izzy's cake is absolutely adorable...almost too pretty to eat....wow! Very talented pastry chef!
I just love seeing what our "cake lady" creates. When we were getting ready to cut the cake, Izzy was asked what part she wanted and she picked Doc's hair. :rotfl: So, I guess she wasn't worried about it being too pretty to eat. :rotfl2:

So frustrating. I think these sorts of things make me so crazy because I'm more introverted and just like to do my transaction completed and move along. My mom is the opposite....she'd look at someones CM tag and talk for an hour. "Oh, you're from Memphis? I've been there! What kind of BBQ do you like? What's your dog's name?"
Wow, I think you and I have that in common, down to the moms. I am a major introvert (though I have impressive extrovert-like skills from working in sales for years - I can give talks to large groups without a problem, etc.) But I am happiest when I can have quiet time, email instead of call, etc. That's why I switched career fields to accounting. :thumbsup2 BUT, my mom is a huge talker. I remember times that she'd get a call from a wrong number and proceed to talk to them for 30 minutes. :faint:

Ugh, the worst. Did she think that everyone could read her mind and tell what was happening?
I know, it was so strange that she didn't even acknowledge the rest of us until we piped up. :confused3 She seemed nice enough, just kind-of oblivious, I guess.

Maple will love this. Right now she just says "Hat? hat. Hat? hat." and then puts all manner of things on her head, like plates and socks and grass.
:rotfl2: :lmao: Love it! I remember when Izzy would put her bowls of food on her head, etc. :rotfl:

Ummm? Ha.
Who knows. :confused3

Good one to try and teach girlfriend before we go. Currently she's bringing it to daycare for comfort and I've been throwing it in the washing machine as soon as she gets home.
Yeah, it was something I didn't intend to teach that day, as she'd never tried to carry her blanket around outside before. But she learned quickly, as she didn't want it to get dirty. :thumbsup2

Awww! So cliche, but time really does fly! It's fun to watch her grow up, though!

Such a cute cake!!! Love it! :thumbsup2
Everyone always says how quickly kids grow up, but they are right. Before you know it, Maple will be running around like a big girl, talking your ear off, etc. Thanks, the cake was pretty fun!

Cute! I love Duluth. We had some close family friends that lived there and ran the TV station for years. I went up there for my 18th birthday and went to the casino in WI. I also overindulged on some cranberry vodkas for the first time. Ooops! Must have been the fresh air!

Our friends used to watch the freighters and the bears from their deck. Ha. So cold, though! Happy Anniversary!
Thanks! Wow, fun Duluth area memories! How crazy to be able to watch bears from their deck!

Ha! After we took our first vacation without our dog (a cruise to
Ensenada, Mexico on a very crummy Carnival ship. I vowed I would never cruise again!), whom we treated like our child, we slept the ENTIRE time. It was amazing. I still haven't left Maple overnight, even in town!
It was a long time before we left Izzy overnight. But now we leave her with grandparents every so often when we need to be out late (we're always in town, though). Actually, we're doing that tomorrow night so that we can go see a movie that one of my childhood friends directed - it's in the Twin Cities Film Festival. Can't take Izzy and we'll get home late, so grandparent sleepover it is! :thumbsup2

Umm, amazing! I wish that they offered lunches like this everywhere all the time. It's exactly what I want!
I agree - it was SO good! We couldn't stop talking about how good it was, as we were eating it.

Beautiful! I just love Lake Superior!!
Me too!

Yum! Saw this place on Andrew Zimmern's show -- I didn't realize that he was from MN. He had sauerkraut pie... which is pretty bizarre! It's on our list when we get up there!
Wow, I haven't seen that on their flavor list. :eek: I also didn't know it had been on his show (but I also don't watch his show :laughing:). I definitely recommend stopping there if you are in the area, though.

Oh, and I'm not going to quote it, but so glad everything worked out with your job. On our last trip, I got a call from my boss that I needed to put my name in the hat to replace her (after I had already declined to take it). I was forced to think about it for almost our entire trip, and it was such a drain. Oh, and I was 5 1/2 months pregnant, so that made me a little more anxious about everything (I ended up quitting and we moved to Wisconsin two months after Maple was born, so whoops!).

But it's never fun to have those things crop up on vacation! Though, I kind of wonder if it makes it easier to bear... since you're in paradise and can jump on a roller coaster!
Yeah, it's kind-of a mixed bag - it brings down the vacation, but you are still doing much more fun things than you would be at home. But there was a lot of stress I was trying to push away, just not knowing a lot of things and feeling like I was missing too much (lots of meetings to inform everyone of stuff, etc.)

Yep would have done the same thing!
I'm so glad I did too! It definitely helped to keep my worries in check.

:rotfl: That's so nerve wracking though, not knowing fully what is happening, even if you do have some tidbits of info. I hate that!
Exactly! I appreciated what I was able to find out, but it was so stressful to have so many unknowns.

This is me! If something gets me super anxious or worried, it's hard for me to put it on the back burner. But glad that everything turned out to be okay (or at least somewhat okay!) in the end. :goodvibes
Yeah, I kept reminding myself that this was a long-anticipated trip and I had to put it out of my mind, but it kept creeping back in. :headache:

We can only hope! :hyper: I would so not be opposed to DS being a CM. More trips?! Uh, yes please! You know. To visit my son who'll i'll miss dearly ::yes::
Yep, I'm on board with that. Maybe they can work together. :thumbsup2 We can have DIS-meets while visiting them.

Really though, I bet it was probably good for you to have a few minutes of alone time after that call.
Yeah, I think it was. Dug was also great to talk to and bounce thoughts off of, though, so that helped too.

I'm so mean, sneaking pictures of him nodding off and posting them on the internet. :rotfl2:

I do, I do!:wave::wave2:
You do not know of which you speak. :laughing:

That is NOT an exciting food stand at all. :sad2:

Very, very cute, I bet she loved it!
Thanks, she liked it, once she got over the disappointment of it not being the giant one she'd seen a picture of. :rotfl:

Aw that's amazing :goodvibes
Thanks! It was really cool to have us all together and on my mom's birthday to boot!

Happy Anniversary! :banana:And how cool is that that you share it with WDW:eek::cool1:
I love that we share the date. Though, it makes me think we should celebrate at WDW. :scratchin

Gorgeous! And it looks cold! Jealous. Glad you had such a fun trip!
Haha, you should move here - we can wear sweaters nearly year-round! :thumbsup2

I Don’t Know How to Bounce

So, we left off with Dug watching Stormtroopers at DHS:

Izzy and I were in England, though. We were drawn over by the music and crowds, but after being there a moment, I realized that we could go somewhere that I’ve only seen in other TRs: Christopher Robin’s Room! :cool1: Of course, I had no idea where it was, but I looked around and could see the characters through an exit. Just needed to locate the entrance. Once I squeezed my way through the concert crowds, I found it – and there was only one other family in front of us! It was a very quick wait and Izzy amused herself with the stuff in the room:

Once the other little girl finished, Izzy didn’t hesitate to run up for some hugs from Tigger :tigger:and Pooh pooh::

However, she decided to back off before we got pictures, so I went up to meet them instead. (I had tried to get her to bounce with Tigger and she walked away, claiming she didn’t know how to bounce :confused3 :rotfl:). Eventually, she decided to join back in. Photopass got a lot of shots for us:

And my favorite one, where I went a wee bit crazy goofing around with the Photopass edits :lmao::

I also have video of the beginning, before I ran up there:

(click to watch)

Meanwhile, more Stormtroopers:

While he watched that, Izzy and I made our way over to Canada (in my Disney obliviousness, I had never noticed the maple leaf fence before):

Ugh, the old Off Kilter stage – how I miss them! :sad: :

So, two interesting things in that photo above. 1.) Toward the left, check out the cool Duffy head handbag! 2.) To the right, someone is emptying the trash! It just seems like something you rarely witness at WDW – seems like it’s handled magically or something. pixiedust:

Izzy stopped to smell the flowers, after enjoying the freedom to walk, climb on rocks, and explore:

While we were doing that, it looks like James Arnold Taylor came out at Dug’s show:

My next stop was the Pineapple Promenade Outdoor Kitchen, as we’d missed one important item there the previous day – the Violet Lemonade:

I decided to let Izzy try a taste first:

Well, that was a mistake. :sad2: She loved it, declared it “MINE!”, and would not even let me try it until it was about halfway done. So, I got to sit there and watch my toddler drink the DIS-recommended cold, refreshing, purple beverage. :headache:

Meanwhile, Dug was watching Stars of the Saga:

And my view:

Back to Dug’s:

Izzy finally let me have the second half of the Violet Lemonade and it was very good and SO refreshing on a hot day. :thumbsup2 We also got a text from Lauren that they were going to stop into the play area, then go meet Duffy. We arranged to meet up at Duffy, as that was a must-do for Izzy as well. As I finished up the Violet Lemonade, Izzy informed me that she needed to go potty again. We weren’t too far from the Baby Care Center and I hoped it might have little toddler-sized potties, so we headed over there. No little potties, but they did have a couple stalls with normal-sized ones. I don’t remember whether or not Izzy went, as I was rather distracted by the mom in the next stall yelling at her kids and threatening to smack them. :eek: :sad2:

We washed up and headed back out:

And Dug’s show was wrapping up with a visit from Jedi Mickey himself:

Up next: Toddler reunion! :lovestruc

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter