I'm feeling so sad ...

I'm seeing fewer and fewer rants about problems with the FP+ and MBs on the DIS.

I'm still not comfortable sinking 5-10K on a vacation that relies on a still unstable, apparently very fragile relationship between their RFID front end and their guest services and billing back ends.
OMG YES THIS! We are only going for the kids sake this year but deep down it really irks me that we are spending $7000 on a 5 night vacation that as you say is still very unstable. I can see the Ops point I really can. Not everyone enjoys the extensive planning like others do..I for one hate it. Im sorry you are sad about it, dont let people on this board get to you with their negative comments and their "I have no sympathy for you" BS. I hope you find somewhere else nice for your vacation..I know next year we are heading to Cozumel and will be done with the mouse. Good LUck :)

To the OP and other feeling much the same, you have to understand that there are people here whose intent is to make you feel bad about a Disney vacation. I don't know the reason -- maybe they are bitter because they can't take one themselves, maybe they just like causing trouble -- but their purpose in being here is to make you feel like WDW is no longer a fun place to be. And those folks dominate a lot of the conversations about things like FP+ and ADRs and pricing strategies. They may have valid points, but the overriding sentiment to their postings is that Disney used to be great, now it sucks for reasons X, Y and Z. They pretend to love it there -- may even have a bunch of trips in their sig -- but in reality they are trying to make others feel about about upcoming vacations. They lament changes that cannot be undone, the extrapolate a single experience to a universal condemnation. That's the tactic.

I have a friend who just got back from a week at DLR, which many are portraying as Nirvana because they still have the old FP system. And she's a planner, a rope-dropper, a collector. She said that the vacation as rough -- crowded, didn't get to as much as they had in the past, stuff like that. But, she said, the photos were wonderful. And that's what Disney wants -- they aren't in the theme park business, they are in the photo op business. The point is to give visitors enough great memories to make them put up with a lot of things that from a distance make no sense. But think about it -- if there were no FP+, then every morning would be a race at rope-drop; if the window for ADRs was not 180 days out, then whenever reservations opened up there'd be the same kind of rush. There are 30,000 rooms in the resorts -- all of them, and the rest of the visiting public, want their shot at the most fun possible.

Disney is more crowded now than it was in the past, and i think everyone laments that for their particular trip. But the only alternative -- limiting visitors or raising prices even higher -- would create just as much bad feeling. More and more people want to be there, and everyone tries to find strategies to maximize their vacation. That's natural and human nature. But WDW isn't interested in maximizing YOUR vacation, they are interested in giving everyone who goes those photo ops, those 20 or so memories that will make them come back. So they restrict the rules to the point where everyone has a chance at at least most of what they want to do, creating the photo ops.

If you're done, then you're done. But I hope you don't let these boards make that call for you. There are sometimes nefarious things that go on around here, and they often come in the nicest of disguises.

This crowding situation you speak of has been spoken about here before. And usually it's framed in terms of it just "happening" and Disney being along for the ride reacting on the back end. The growing crowds are there because Disney has invested massive sums of money in departments dedicated to...... growing crowds in the parks. They have the numbers. People are likely earning big bonuses based on those numbers. Yet instead of growing the capacity in the parks to keep up with those crowds, they chose a ride rationing system.

So no, limiting visitors or raising prices are not the only alternatives. They could add attraction capacity at the same rate they are adding attendance so everyone wins..... Disney with growing attendance..... and guests with more options in the parks.

As for your friend's DL trip..... if she just got back then she was there for the opening of the big 60th anniversary, so not surprising at all that she found it very busy.

Last edited:
OMG YES THIS! We are only going for the kids sake this year but deep down it really irks me that we are spending $7000 on a 5 night vacation that as you say is still very unstable. I can see the Ops point I really can. Not everyone enjoys the extensive planning like others do..I for one hate it. Im sorry you are sad about it, dont let people on this board get to you with their negative comments and their "I have no sympathy for you" BS. I hope you find somewhere else nice for your vacation..I know next year we are heading to Cozumel and will be done with the mouse. Good LUck :)

I'm typing this from my condo on the beach in Sanibel. We are staying a week and will cap it off with ONE ....... count 'em....... ONE ......day in the MK. It's the future of our trips to WDW.

Ok. Everybody just relax and take a deep breath. That's better. Obviously, original poster needs a break from WDW. No worries, there are plenty of other places to see.

For us, a family of seven, we love WDW and all the craziness of planning that goes with it. When I grow up, I'm 54 now, maybe I will think differently. I never went as a child, and we have made as many trips as possible with our kids.

We go other places for vacation, but, WDW is the place for us. It's a small fortune to do, but, that's the name of the game when it comes to vacation.

I'm sure the sadness will pass as you find other places to vacation. If you're convinced WDW isn't for you anymore then it just makes sense not to go.

I can't say I agree with your point of view but it's your vacation $$'s and I can't imagine spending mine somewhere I no longer enjoy.

DL is very nice, but I don't see it as an alternative to WDW. At least it did nothing to relieve the urge to go to WDW for us. They are distinctly different places.

As for your friend's DL trip..... if she just got back then she was there for the opening of the big 60th anniversary, so not surprising at all that she found it very busy
I had a friend who was there on that same weekend, I believe it was also the 24 hour event. No surprise that DLR was crowded.

We are season pass holders and we LOVE FP+. I have been on many quick last minute planned trips for a few nights here and there and have had a great time. I am not sure what you are worried about but I think you will be fine with the new system. I was a good user of legacy FP but I really really like FP+.

OP, I understand and agree with what you are saying. We had our final trip to WDW this year. I'm glad other people like FP+ but we have tried it twice and we don't like it.

It's hard to say goodbye to WDW. We have enjoyed planning our trips and dreaming of WDW almost as much as we've enjoyed the trips themselves. A trip to WDW has always been on our family's horizon and it has always been something to anticipate when the daily grind gets a tad overwhelming. In our case, there's a big hole where the WDW trip planning used to be, and now I'm trying to find alternate vacations.

I don't think it will ever be the same as our years at WDW, but WDW is not the same. Our last 2 trips with FP+ were disappointing so it's time to move on. I'm glad we have great memories.

OP, I understand and agree with what you are saying. We had our final trip to WDW this year. I'm glad other people like FP+ but we have tried it twice and we don't like it.

It's hard to say goodbye to WDW. We have enjoyed planning our trips and dreaming of WDW almost as much as we've enjoyed the trips themselves. A trip to WDW has always been on our family's horizon and it has always been something to anticipate when the daily grind gets a tad overwhelming. In our case, there's a big hole where the WDW trip planning used to be, and now I'm trying to find alternate vacations.

I don't think it will ever be the same as our years at WDW, but WDW is not the same. Our last 2 trips with FP+ were disappointing so it's time to move on. I'm glad we have great memories.

I think this sums up how a lot of us are feeling...... like maybe it's time to say goodbye but we keep hesitating because it's like saying goodbye to an old friend....... one we want to keep giving one last chance.

Not only does the new booking have to be available, it has to be available within the discount you booked. We needed to drop 2 nights off our upcoming stay and were "lucky" that a pool view was available, although the river view we had was gone. If there hadn't been a pool view, we would have had to pay for 2 extra nights or find something else.

Not sure about adding days. They sort of made me never want to do that.
Thanks for the explanation. Was this recent?

I think it's very telling that several people have said that they've recently been to WDW and 'it's not that bad'. That's not really high praise for all the changes, is it? Perhaps that's good enough for the Disney executives, but it's not what I want from a very expensive vacation.

Lady Hiss
princess:

I think it's very telling that several people have said that they've recently been to WDW and 'it's not that bad'. That's not really high praise for all the changes, is it? Perhaps that's good enough for the Disney executives, but it's not what I want from a very expensive vacation.

Lady Hiss
princess:
Yes, this is how we feel. Our Disney vacations were amazing. Now they're just...fine. It took me about 6 months to get over being sad. Now I'm finally excited about seeing other things in this beautiful world.

This crowding situation you speak of has been spoken about here before. And usually it's framed in terms of it just "happening" and Disney being along for the ride reacting on the back end. The growing crowds are there because Disney has invested massive sums of money in departments dedicated to...... growing crowds in the parks. They have the numbers. People are likely earning big bonuses based on those numbers. Yet instead of growing the capacity in the parks to keep up with those crowds, they chose a ride rationing system.

So no, limiting visitors or raising prices are not the only alternatives. They could add attraction capacity at the same rate they are adding attendance so everyone wins..... Disney with growing attendance..... and guests with more options in the parks.

As for your friend's DL trip..... if she just got back then she was there for the opening of the big 60th anniversary, so not surprising at all that she found it very busy.

She was there three weeks ago before that stuff started, so they missed it unless there was overlap.

Adding rides and attractions is everyone's panacea for crowding, but there are two elements that are overlooked. One, building new rides or another gate takes a lot of time. I don't think there's any evidence of new rides reducing wait times or crowds -- it seems like everything has been pretty constant since the dwarfs came to town, hasn't it? So even if attendance doesn't increase, these crowd level are the new normal. Adding rides won't change that, and in all likelihood, increase attendance even more. And if you're assuming that attendance increases 3 percent a year, then you're talking about adding a new headliner every five years. They've added two attractions in the past six, I think (Ariel and the Dwarfs). So they are actually doing what you suggest they do -- it's just not enough. There's no reason to think more would be enough, either. It would be cool if there were more headliners, but I think it's a mistake to think more rides would do anything to reduce crowds.

As for another gate, that's at least a decade away, even if they approved it tonight. Environmental impact laws have changed -- WDW and Reedy Creek don't have the same carte blanche they had 17 years ago when AK opened. And when it did open, you'd have at least a 20 percent increase in attendance; even if Disney didn't add a single hotel room, Orlando sure would. So the crowd levels would remain at least the same.

I may be wrong, but I think the more attractive you make WDW, the more people will come. So increasing attractions doesn't do anything to help crowd levels, it only increases them.

I'm typing this from my condo on the beach in Sanibel. We are staying a week and will cap it off with ONE ....... count 'em....... ONE ......day in the MK. It's the future of our trips to WDW.

We're thinking about buying something on Sanibel or Captiva. How is the summer down there -- I used to go there all the time as a kid, but it's been a long time since I've been in SW Florida in the summer.

I can't imagine canceling a Disney trip due to FP+. We were also expert users of the old fast pass system, but decided to give FP plus a try. We adapted our touring strategy a bit and found that FP plus works great for us, even better than the old system!

OP, maybe something else is going on here? For years I owned a cottage that me and my extended family used extensively during the summer. As the kids got older they got summer jobs and participated in band, etc that limited their time at the cottage. Two years ago, I sold it since it was sitting empty most of the time. Many people ask me if I miss it and I say yes. What I really miss though is the time when the kids were little and we could all spend lovely weekends boating, swimming, fishing and just being all together. That's what makes me sad.

I have been going to WDW for nearly 20 years. There have been lots of changes. Some I like, some I don't. When the negatives outweigh the positives I'll stop going. Every trip, however, is more about the people I am with and the great times we have than about the park itself though. Just my thoughts.

So Disney shouldn't build new attractions because it might lure more people? Wow, that's interesting logic and likely not what Disney is thinking at all.

OP, you feel how you feel. Those of us who so cruelly pick on poor WDW shouldn't influence you and neither should anyone else. I do agree with the comment that if things don't work well for you then it might be time to look elsewhere, at least for a while.

So Disney shouldn't build new attractions because it might lure more people? Wow, that's interesting logic and likely not what Disney is thinking at all.

OP, you feel how you feel. Those of us who so cruelly pick on poor WDW shouldn't influence you and neither should anyone else. I do agree with the comment that if things don't work well for you then it might be time to look elsewhere, at least for a while.

:thumbsup2

Building more headliner attractions should be a foregone conclusion at both Epcot and DHS. Our visit two weeks ago confirmed what the FP+ tiering had been indicating all along- there just isn't enough there for the amount of people in the parks. And we were there in mid-May, a relatively low-crowd time.

To the OP, your concerns are valid and are shared by others- as this thread has shown. I do agree with your comparison of the current WDW vacation to a more structured cruise-like vacation. This does impact people who would prefer a less structured/scheduled trip.

We did a late planned trip last year (about 68 days out) and had our best trip ever. It took a little bit of work (constantly checking the app for dining reservations) but the great thing is that we didn't have to call every day because we could check online and on the app. We ended up with every single reservation we wanted except CRT (which we got this year) and got every FP+ we wanted including Anna & Elsa. You just have to be persistent with checking reservations until you get what you want. You'd be shocked at how many times open up, especially the week before.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter