I'm debating hotel reservations for Express Pass, how much a difference will it make?

AC7179

Registered
We are staying at WBC in Orlando but going to Universal for two days.

I am debating getting a hotel room at one of the Universal resorts. My mom, husband, daughter (21), daughter (9) and daughter (2) will be on the trip with us. I figured my husband and two older daughters could spend the night at the Universal hotel while the baby and my mom and I went back to WBC that night.

I'd primarily make the reservation for Early Entry and Express Pass. The cost would be about $430.

It it worth it? Is it necessary? We will be going March 10th and 11th, a Tuesday and a Wednesday. If it is something that will make a big difference in our touring, I will do it. Who knows when we will make it back. On the other hand, I don't want to purchase a hotel room and then not need it.

Can anyone help?

To Thine Own Self Be True

Are you thrill ride seekers or do you enjoy the ambiance of the park? Do you hate lines of any type or are you patient? First you need to judge whether or not you need/want The Universal Express Pass. There are two versions. One is Unlimited usage the other allows one use on each ride. Only you can decide whether lines bother you. Only you can decide if "its worth it".

The hotel route gets you Unlimited Express Pass usage for two days. If you purchased it separately for the three using the system it would be $89.99 per day/per person. So, for two days of usage it would be roughly $540 on top of the price of your entry tickets. Getting a room would save you over $100. If you take the one use Express Pass Route it would be $69.99 per day/per person. Your total for Express Pass would be $420.

We last went in June of last year. On the Universal Studios side there are two rides which have long standby times. Minions will run generally over an hour (worst ride in park for standby). Mummy will have long lines as well. Transformers is next between 15-30 minutes. Everything else 5 -15 minutes. Gringgots was off the chain because it had just opened but they issue passes to return at a later time. On the Islands of Adventure side the thrill rides were 30 minutes to an hour. Early March is before Spring Break so you should see low crowd levels.

Me personally, I have never paid for an Express Pass nor stayed at the hotel to get Express Pass usage. We do not mind lines and are very patient. We pick what we want to do make a plan and go for it. Others in our family refuse to go unless they have Express Pass. Universal does have a few little quirks. They tend to load all persons with Express Passes before they load any Standby Passengers at some rides. Rides with low capacity like Minions end up having long standby lines because each cycle is filled with Express Pass and very few if any Standbys. Again, we only waited over an hour for Minions. Nothing else. We did every ride over two days basically between opening and 6pm in June. Our other family members did boast of riding Hulk, Spiderman, Minions between 5-10 times each. But to each his own. "To Thine Own Self Be True?

I would consider making 1 change to your plan. I would upgrade your DH ticket to a Powerpass. Right now, HRH has APH rate of $224 and Portifino has $234 for a reservation for 3 ($249 and and $259 for a reservation for 3 adults and 2 children). Just book through the Universal site with the code APH. If you buy the 2 day+ 1 free park to park tickets from Undercover Tourist that don't expire, the cost to upgrade to a power pass at the park will be minimal. That would give everyone Express Passes for both days even if you and Mom don't spend the night. You could also take the little one back to the room to swim and nap. If you have the money I think you'll enjoy it.

If you are focusing on Harry Potter stuff the only rides the express pass covers are Dragon Challenge [a thrill ride] and Flight of Hippogryf [kid friendly coaster]

We always want the ride our favorite rides multiple times so the unlimited Express Pass makes that much easier.

I was there around that same time last March and while the waits weren't outrageous, it was so enjoyable and relaxing to tour with express pass.

As for your specific group - it would be a waste of money to buy the day express pass. Great advice above about booking with the APH rate. Just use Promotion code APH when booking on the Universal site. Only 1 person in your party needs the AP.

I've bought a power pass but it's on will call. would it be possible to check in for an APH room? or can I pick up the pass before checking in? Probably not arriving until evening, parks may be closed.

We picked up our APs from the kiosk at the HRH so not sure about will call. Also, we were traveling with a FL friend and using the FL Resident rate so not sure if you need your AP to check in (although I have read on here that it is not asked for). You could probably show them your receipt for the AP if they ask... I would call and ask to be sure.

You can show your pass at any time before you check out if they ask for it. There are will call kiosks in all the hotels. You just need the credit card you purchased the pass with and the confirmation number.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but unless you're all on the reservation, only your DH and two older daughters would get express pass and be eligible for early entry. If you try to put all of you on the reservation, you may have to add a second room and/or be subject to additional person charges. But if the rest of you didn't need express pass and were meeting up with them later, then no issue.

PBH is $259/night for 3 adults 2 children. All would be registered but if Mom and baby want to sleep back at their other hotel then no one would care.

PBH is $259/night for 3 adults 2 children. All would be registered but if Mom and baby want to sleep back at their other hotel then no one would care.

It's definitely fine wherever they want to sleep. My point was that I know at WDW, they charge an additional $25 per night for each person over 18 that's registered to the room over two people. In OP's case, that would be two extra people over 18 for an extra $50 per night, if Universal has the same policy. It would be in addition to the rate and added onto the folio at check-in. And what's the cutoff for kids? Is 2 and under not part of the room count?

Sorry, see now I was misreading OP's post. She said "my mom, husband..." and I thought she was referring to herself ie mom, husband... so I thought there were 5 of them total but it seems there are 6. The price is a lot more with 6 in a room.

Not sure if a 2 year old needs a express pass? What rides are they able to go on at US/IOA? My DD is 12 so don't really notice any of the toddler stuff. FYI 4 adults 1 child at PBH is $284.

I went ahead and booked a suite. It was a lot more money but the only way we could fit six in for the early entry and express pass.

2 yo won't need a ticket or express pass but they will need the hotel card if staying onsite for the early entry.

I don't know the next time we'll be back, so I figured I might as well bite the bullet and pay for the suite so we can get Express Pass and Early Entry. Hopefully we'll have time to enjoy the pool as well. We're staying at Bonnet Creek for the week, so we saved some money there. I'm trying to justify it to myself. :)

Glad you're going for it! Did you price the suite vs. 2 rooms? Those suite prices are so expensive!

I don't know the next time we'll be back, so I figured I might as well bite the bullet and pay for the suite so we can get Express Pass and Early Entry. Hopefully we'll have time to enjoy the pool as well. We're staying at Bonnet Creek for the week, so we saved some money there. I'm trying to justify it to myself. :)

You`ll be glad you did no doubt.

The hospitality suites are lovely and you`ll enjoy the extra space you have as a family. There are only three of us and we are tempted to never leave it..........

Glad you`re all sorted though :)

The one room was over $400. The suite was about $935 and it is a King Suite with an adjoining 2 bedroom room. Also, somehow the suite is pool view and the room was garden view, so I thought it was reasonable, if $935 dollars for one night of anything ever CAN be reasonable. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter