If you threaten to quit your

Honestly my real management (the ones that do the salaries and that stuff) wouldn't care at all. My project management (my real boss that actually knows what I do and stuff) would have some trouble with a few things because I'm the only one that really does the task, only one at this location that does the task, etc. However those would only cause problems for a month or so and they could get through them. How much of an issue would be would depend on how fast I quit.

Maybe....

We are overstaffed right now, there are many new nurses looking for jobs (still wondering where that nursing shortage is)

But

I work on a Behavioral Health ( psych unit, which most people do not even entertain as a possibility) and I am typically the 3p-11p charge nurse. The charge nurse would be easy to fill, as our unit is all trained for charge, but no one really likes the 3-11 shift.

At my last job, I threatened to quit twice. Both times my boss panicked and made changes to placate me! When I needed shoulder surgery, she donated some of her sick time "to make sure I came back".
I did eventually retire, though.

My job is replaceable. But I know and do about 100X more than what my job description requires me to do. So even though I am replaceable, my boss would not want to try to replace me. :)

I think so. We are too specialized and I do a lot of things nobody else does. My boss is too busy to help anyone else learn and he doesn't know some of it. I try to make notes in the event of an emergency...but it would be difficult for someone to step in.

This is how I feel. I have worked my way up from one desk to the next (where I am now) but you have to know all the stuff that goes with the first desk to do my job(s).
So, I think my immediate boss would panic but I don't think the bigwigs would.

I think so. We are too specialized and I do a lot of things nobody else does. My boss is too busy to help anyone else learn and he doesn't know some of it. I try to make notes in the event of an emergency...but it would be difficult for someone to step in.

Mmmm, my dd thought that too until last September when the boss decided his son in law needed a job.....
My dd had taken over one of the lowest profit making divisions of our company, created a whole new program, no one else knows how to run it because the boss didn't feel like having 2 people doing one job. She used to beg for help. He thinks his son in law is a boy wonder but now that he has taken over that job, it has all gone downhill & none of the other employees will help him because they all feel that my dd got a raw deal, and we are all watching our back around him.

There is no one else in my company who has a clue how to do about 75% of my job. If I walked out today and quit upper managment wouldn't blink because it wouldn't effect them at all. They wouldn't lift a finger to help my poor co-workers trying to figure it all out. :confused3

My last job did. I trained four people on what I did, Nd they still email me several times a week with questions. I was extremely overloaded with other people's work, and I let supervisor know that I was tired of it for several months but nothing changed. She begged me not to go, made sure I knew she appreciated thati worked hard, etc., but that didn't take any of the stress off and I couldn't take it anymore. I left as soon as I found another job. They didn't get to replace me, and the girl that got more than half of what I had, in addition to what she already did, is about to leave also.

My client relationships and in-depth knowledge of my clients' businesses and financials would make it hard to replace me immediately - the company would suffer a little. What would make it harder is my terrible filing! I share a personal assistant and she's busy enough that I don't ask her to take of all my filing, so it's always in a bit of disarray. I am good at the technical and human side of what I do - I suck at the admin/paperwork side.

My manager would be quite surprised, but as somebody posted earlier, nobody is irreplaceable and while I am senior enough, and generate enough millions of dollars in revenue for my firm to be valuable, that they'd ask why, and likely try to placate my concerns if possible, if I walked out on my job the sun would come up the next day and life would go on for my employer. Fortunately I love what I do and love my employer, so the odds of that happening are virtually zero.

My team knows that if they have concerns about their jobs, want to discuss advancement opportunities, or just want to come in and talk, that my door is always wide open and that I'll work with them however I can. They also know that if they come in and threaten to quit in order to attempt to extract a concession from me, they will be invited to leave the firm immediately. I only have one person on my team who I view as "nearly irreplaceable," due to her skillset, but she is also my most loyal employee and I work very hard to ensure that she, as well as the entire team, knows that I value them.

I am totally replaceable, but my boss would still freak out. He can be difficult to work with, and because he's aware of that, he's very sensitive about keeping his personal team members on staff.

I am sure my supervisor and dept would be fine.

Although, I think one of the owners would be a little rattled. I work on a lot of special projects with him that involves personal information for the family (it's a family owned company). I know he'd get over it but I think he would be a little upset at first.

Nah- they could find someone to do my job pretty easily- but I do know that I am well liked and well respected by the families we serve, and would be missed by them.

I have no plans of going anywhere though- I love my job!

I actually just gave notice last week.
This Friday is my last day here.
The first word out of my boss's mouth is something I'm not allowed to post here.
Actually, I can't post the first comments that quite a few people said when they found out I was leaving.
I'm a software developer in a manufacturing company, but about half my time is spent supporting all of our applications and systems. At this point, I know 10 times as much about our systems than anyone else here.

The biggest think I'm hearing from people in production is "Who is going to fix our issues when things aren't working and we have a shipment waiting to go to the customer?"

We have some smart people in IT, so they will figure it out, but it's going to take them a lot longer to fix things than it took me.

I just gave my notice and my company is splitting my job into three separate positions...so yeah, they panicked. Burns me to think of the money they screwed me out of while I was there!

Since I'm the business owner and it's only employee, I'd have to say YES!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter