If you can go back and change something about your wedding

I would change a lot of things especially me having some say in the wedding. My parents planned my party. I had no say in it except what kind of style of my wedding dress. My sister made it at a cost (including cleaning it after it was made) was $25.00. I had to borrow a cousins veil and I really had wanted my own. The guest list was decided by the parents, we had nothing to do with it and not allowed any input. An Uncle that I didn't want there was invited. He was an alcoholic and was drunk before the wedding even started. He kept coming up to the head table to kiss me. It was horrible. We had to leave the party and in those days no one was suppose to leave until the bride and groom left. The honeymoon was in a cabin that I cooked and cleaned. My husband loved it. I tolerated it as it was all we could afford. However, for our 25th we took a second honeymoon. One I planned. A cruise from Vancouver to the Hawaiian Islands. It was wonderful. I also would like to get a new wedding band and engagement ring. Our 3 rings cost a total of maybe $300.00. Again it really was all we could afford. The diamond ring I haven't been able to wear from around the 3rd anniversary because of the way it is. I haven't been able to wear my wedding ring the last couple of years. I would love white gold as well. I don't need a really big ring just one that I could actually wear.
tigercat

If I could change just one thing about my wedding, I wish I wasn't the overweight bride. I didn't realize how big I was until the smallest size dress I could fit into was a size 22! 70 lbs. and 6 1/2 years later, I am a much happier person but those awful pictures haunt me!

I would make sure my father-in-law got new glasses before the ceremony! We actually had 2 weddings- 1 in the town we lived in, with friends and a JP, 1 on the family farm with his father officiating. Everyone was in position and we all discovered that the preacher could not see the words on the paper he was reading from. It was so bad his youngest daughter marched up there to read it for him :headache: (2nd thing I'd change- not invite his sister lol). I never said anything during the entire ceremony, I swear my husband married himself because he repeated vows twice :rotfl2: My favorite part was at the end, when father-in-law looked up and said "well if this ain't a hillbilly wedding I don't know what is!" :rotfl: Thank God we'd already been married by the JP because I doubt the 2nd ceremony was legal!

Too funny!:rotfl::rotfl:

We had a great wedding, but I wish we would have invested more in a good photographer and pictures.

I always said that if I could do it over again, it would be soooo different. Actually I have two versions of my "next wedding", if there were every to be one. LOL

We both love the fall and got married on Oct 23rd. If we were to do it over again, I think we would get married a week later (on the 30th) and do a "Halloween" wedding. LOL

We would have all the guests dress in costume and we would still dress as bride & groom. Atleast that way, we would be in "costume" yet still have some pretty "standard" bride/groom photos. I would decorate the reception all fall like, with hollowed out pumpkins with a nice fall flower arrangement inside of it for the centerpieces. And I think for party favors, I would have a big ole candy feast, where people can take their little favor bag and go "trick or treating" up at the candy bar. LOL

But if I were to do a "traditional" wedding, I would have picked out a different color scheme (NOT metallic turquoise with black velvet :scared1:) LOL I would probably go with black/white theme with maybe a touch of another accent color (maybe red?) I would also have my sister as my maid of honor instead of just a bridesmaid. I had a friend of mine be the MoH. It's not that I regret having her as my MoH, it's just that now I regret NOT having my sister. Oh well, what can ya do know, ya know? Anyhow, I would still have it in a big ole church. But the reception would be more "elegant" I had mine in a local "club" (similar to a VFW type place) Back then, I had a lot of family members who "belonged" to this club and I basically got a good deal on the place. I would also have a nice sit down meal or atleast a kick*ss buffet with better food. I mean the food we had was okay, but it was your basic swedish meatballs, ziti, salads, deviled eggs type of stuff. Now I would want a nice cocktail hour with some hot hordourves to be passed around, a more upscale meal (maybe with some filet mignon, lobster, etc LOL) Our cake was nice (atleast it was what was popular back then) it was a tiered cake with a fountain and staircases. I think next time it would be a more simple cake with flowers. And I wouldn't put the typical cheesy bride/groom topper on top.

I would also hire a photographer and videographer. My mom's uncle who was "into" photography at the time took some pictures at no cost to us (it was our gift) While I appreicated it very much, I really don't have the typical wedding pictures....none of me & my bridesmaids getting ready, none of just me & DH, none of just our hands to showcase our new wedding rings, none of us with any of our guests. I do have some pictures that are okay, at best but I would have loved a gorgeous wedding album and a nice video to go with it.

I would also have purchased real flowers. Back then, I thought it would be better to get the fake ones so everyone could "keep" them. Who in their right mind (atleast being a bridesmaid) keeps the flowers?

I would also hire a real band. The DJ we had was cheesy at best.

***as a disclaimer though, I have to say that 17yrs later, I still get compliments on how people had SUCH a great time at our wedding. They tell me it's because it wasn't so "stuffy" as a lot of weddings can be. They say that they were able to relax, let loose and have a great time. So I guess, all in all, it was a perfect day. LOL

Different dress. I wasn't in love with the one I got, but I had to pick a wedding dress. I would have added a couple of bridesmaids. I loved the 2 I had, but I wish I had asked my former roommate and my other friend too. Also I would have had someone get me food before the pictures. I thought I was going to pass out! And all the good appetizers were gone by the time pics were done. Also I would have take my shoes off for pictures before the ceremony. My feet were killing me by the time I got to the alter, so I casually slipped them off and slipped them back on during the closing prayer. :rotfl:

I wish I'd hired a wedding planner. When we discussed wedding plans a year before the wedding, MIL said she didn't have any opinions. Well, she certainly did have opinions 3 days before the wedding when she flew in. :headache: The flowers were wrong, the bridesmaids dresses were the wrong color, etc. At the reception, BIL (dh's younger brother) told the bartender to pack it up at 9pm. :mad: Same BIL was supposed to put the cake and other leftovers in our fridge. We returned from the honeymoon to find them on the floor of our basement. :eek:

We had just a DJ and the bartender. I wish we'd splurged and had a nicer reception.

18 years later, dh is gone :angel: and MIL and BIL remain. :sad2:

I wish I had a better photographer. He spent most of the night flirting with an aunt. So he missed some great shots from the second half of the reception.

The GROOM!

Other than that it was perfect. It was almost 20 years ago and still one of the best days of my life. I got to be Cinderella for a day.

Lisa

There are only 2 things I have regretted. I would never have put my DH and the groomsmen in this shade tuxes:scared1: I don't know what I was thinking except that it was the early 80's.

The second thing would have been the veil. I was told by so many people that I would regret taking it off. No way, I regret putting it on. Just not me.

We all did crazy things in the 80's. ;)

I have great memories of my wedding. It was pretty much exactly what we wanted, my parenst didn't give us any trouble that I recall, my late DMIL gave us a little bit of carrying on about the guest list but we ironed that out.

About the biggest thing I could say is that the cake wasn't what it was supposed to be. A friend of mine was making it for us as a wedding gift (she was a pastry chef) and apparently on her way to the reception hall with it, she had to stop short and the cake went flying. It was supposed to be a white cake with pink and teal (it was 1991...what can I say????) accents of flowers and whatever other doodads they put on wedding cakes. It ended up being all white because she had to literally scrape all the decorations off and redo it at the reception hall. The cake still looked great, it was just all white instead of having some color on it. No biggie really. She & I were the only ones who knew what it was supposed to be.

Everything!:lmao:

I got lots of compliments on how beautiful it was & everyone had a great time but when I look back at it...it just wasnt me:confused3 I tried to please everyone, and be anti-bridezilla, that I lost track of what I wanted.

We would have gotten married at Disney, like I had always wanted. I wouldn't have cared who showed up...cause it should have just been about us.

I wouldnt have had any attendants...because out of 4, the only one I talk to now is my SIL. And that depends on the day :rotfl2:

I would have had the colors I wanted, even if they didn't go with the "season".

I would hire a REAL photographer. I asked my aunt to do it because she does it as a hobby (and to save money). I have a ton of pictures of my side of the family & almost none of DH's. The only pics we have of his family are the ones I specifically wrote down for her to do. I love her to death, but I was a little disappointed.

The ONLY thing I wouldnt change is my dress... I still :lovestruc my dress.

How'd you guess? :teeth: Yep, that's the one! The only one we know of, though, is "Christmas Canon Rock." Obviously, the Christmas lyrics won't work in October; do they do a completely instrumental version?

Congrats! DH and I had Canon in D at our wedding (the classical version). It's what I walked down the aisle (sp?) to. I still smile when I hear any version of it, including TSO's.

As far as TSO, I'm not sure is they have an instrumental version of either the Christmas Canon or Christmas Canon Rock.

I forgot we didn't have a photographer. My SIL took some but we don't really have nice pictures of the day. We did have a soloist at the church when we were in the back signing papers (so we didn't even hear it). My Dad decided that. Oh well
tigercat

The date.

I wanted to get married on Christmas Eve. The church we attended then was a little rustic, and every year it was decorated with loads of poinsettas and two HUGE trees filled with gold ornaments and white lights (and those decorations wouldn't have cost a penny). I loved that church at Christmas, and Christmas has always been my favorite time of year. I had a vision of bridesmaids in dark green velvet with white roses and holly, and I would've had red roses. I thought it'd be wonderful to wake up together as husband and wife on Christmas Day, and then we'd always have our anniversary off work. Really, Christmas Eve was everything I wanted.

Anyway, my mom refused, saying that time of year was already too hectic. Today I'd respond, "But it's what I want" and I'd stick to my guns. It's not like I was asking everyone to go out of their way year after year -- just that one day for our wedding. And I woudl've been understanding about people who couldn't make it because of the season.

It wasn't until after I'd accepted a summer date that I found out my grandparents were married on Christmas Eve (because 12/24 and 12/25 were the only days my grandfather didn't have to work), and my grandmother had very much wanted me to have that date.

On the positive side, we were engaged on Valentine's Day, and I mistakenly thought that planning a nice wedding (on a budget) would take so much effort -- I was worried about getting it all done for late summer. In retrospect, everything fell into place very easily, and I had more time than was necessary. If we'd had all those months 'til December, I would've been a bit stir crazy.

Also, another negative: DH wanted to buy a house so badly. Leaving the church and coming back to HIS OWN HOUSE meant the world to him. But buying a house the week of the wedding wasn't ideal. The wedding was easy, the house was stressful -- dealing with moving, buying appliances, getting utilities turned on. Oh, and my car broke down the day we bought the house (Wednesday before our wedding on Saturday); that didn't help. If I had it to do again, I'd have the wedding by itself so we could've put all our energies into that . . . and I'd have moved into his apartment immediately afterward. I owned next to nothing at that point, so it would've taken little effort. Then we could've relaxed in our first weeks and months together, then started a house search.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter