If someone is fishing behind OKW building 62

If you see someone fishing behind OKW building 62

• ignore them

• join them

• report them

Results are only viewable after voting.
I think it depends upon whom you ask. We've been told numerous times by OKW cast members that catch and release fishing is allowed from the banks, and that Hank's has fishing poles available for such use. So, based upon that information, I would ignore anyone I saw fishing. It is not a question of "picking and choosing" what to report, if you've been told that it is OK.
Perhaps I should ask again? November will be a perfect opportunity!

I guess this will be a debatable point until OKW puts up no fishing signs all over the place.

that is the big one. Until Okw does this - fishing is maybe yes or maybe no.

bringing pets is not just against the rules. People who are allergic to pets - cats or dogs - can get sick. It is hard to understand how bad an allergy attack can get if you have never had one. People (especially kids) can die from allergy attack unless they get medical attention immediately.

I went to SSR year with my pole and fished with my son every night. I was told by a CM to stay within the lakes throughout the resort and stay away from the main channel leading into the main lake where the boats are. We had the time of our lives. What type of person would report or be bothered by this? We weren't bothering anybody. In fact, dozens of guests stopped by to see how the fishing was and seemed thrilled when we caught a bass. It was great. Catch and release of course.

I'm heading to OKW in Jan and can't wait to fish. It'll be the highlight of me and my sons trip.

Anybody remotely bothered by this has to get a life and work on their own issues. I'm glad to see 90% of people wouldn't complain. Good for you.

I would ignore them, even if there were "no fishing" signs properly posted.

OK,you can crucify me now.:rotfl:

In my opinion, allowing fishing behind building 62 would open up a can of worms! You can bank on this; it would cast a net of trouble over the resort and only tangle up DVC owners' vacations luring them away from OKW (maybe to the Swan/ Dolphin??).
As you know, there are several schools of thought on this issue and therefore it should be approached with weighted consideration. We can't be bobbing back and forth with our decisions. This is a matter that will require calm and quiet thought rather than stream of consciousness.

If we don't reel this problem in, then what else will be allowed to happen behind building #62...? I shudder just thinking about the possibilities.

I'm sorry but I have to laugh at some of the answers here. I don't mean any disrespect...... but ! :rotfl:

Fishing at OKW or any other resort will NOT have a negative effect on anything or anyone unless they are up tight to begin with. Tree huggers and PETA people will always strongly object of course. ;)

As long as it is catch and release it shouldn't be anybody's business but the person fishing or a cast member if it is indeed forbidden by Disney World, which I do not believe it is. :sad2:

Me? :lmao: I'd join them of course. Just check out my avatar for proof. :thumbsup2

I would form a committee to explore the benefits vs. the detriments of such an activity. I would waste countless hours debating the issue and finally come to the conclusion that we might be better served to simply ask... is the activity in question hurting me or affecting my enjoyment of the resort and then take appropriate action based on the answer. As far as following the rules to the letter, it depends on if you are at Disney to vacation and have fun or if you are there to be a self appointed policeman.

I'm sorry but I have to laugh at some of the answers here. I don't mean any disrespect...... but ! :rotfl:

Fishing at OKW or any other resort will NOT have a negative effect on anything or anyone unless they are up tight to begin with. Tree huggers and PETA people will always strongly object of course. ;)

As long as it is catch and release it shouldn't be anybody's business but the person fishing or a cast member if it is indeed forbidden by Disney World, which I do not believe it is. :sad2:

Me? :lmao: I'd join them of course. Just check out my avatar for proof. :thumbsup2

Did you catch that at OKW? I hope you put it back! :rotfl:

Not why people care. I fish each and every trip. Most people stop by and chat and want to know how things are going. As long as the person respects his surrounding and is hurting anyone I don;t see the harm. I've caught and release some rather large ones over the years

I would most certainly JOIN them! Why would you report anything like this, other than for being simply a killjoy. Unless they're littering or being loud/disruptive, I say let us fish! It's Florida for pete's sake!

FYI, this thread is a year and a half old....

DS and I would feel bad for the fish, FWIW. Especially when being caught and released. Having a hook in your mouth for nothing but the *amusement* of a human? Not my style. But I wouldn't report it, figuring that eventually a few CMs will see the fisherperson and they could figure out if it was OK or not...

I wouldn't report a dog, either. Pet or service dog, the allergies would be the same, and service animals are allowed. And there are many things that service dogs can do, and there are no rules making people get official training or vests (they aren't all for the blind, for example), so there's NO way to tell by looking at or hearing a dog in another room, to know if it's a service animal or not. I do not want to increase the difficulties in life for someone who needs a service dog, and therefore wouldn't want them questioned, and therefore I wouldn't "report" it. I'd just assume that that person needs the service animal, and go along with my trip. Even if I was sneezing because of it. (and I can sneeze to a frightening degree, and it can throw me into asthma...but I still wouldn't do anything but assume it was a service animal)

Did you catch that at OKW? I hope you put it back! :rotfl:

No I didn't. That was caught in a tributary off of Lake Ontario and yes, I put it back after a quick photo. In fact, I haven't killed a fish in over twenty years. I just love fishing for them with my fly rod and putting them back for somebody else to enjoy. :thumbsup2

FYI, this thread is a year and a half old....

DS and I would feel bad for the fish, FWIW. Especially when being caught and released. Having a hook in your mouth for nothing but the *amusement* of a human? Not my style. But I wouldn't report it, figuring that eventually a few CMs will see the fisherperson and they could figure out if it was OK or not...

I wouldn't report a dog, either. Pet or service dog, the allergies would be the same, and service animals are allowed. And there are many things that service dogs can do, and there are no rules making people get official training or vests (they aren't all for the blind, for example), so there's NO way to tell by looking at or hearing a dog in another room, to know if it's a service animal or not. I do not want to increase the difficulties in life for someone who needs a service dog, and therefore wouldn't want them questioned, and therefore I wouldn't "report" it. I'd just assume that that person needs the service animal, and go along with my trip. Even if I was sneezing because of it. (and I can sneeze to a frightening degree, and it can throw me into asthma...but I still wouldn't do anything but assume it was a service animal)

It is doubtful ,though, no matter what function they perform that a service animal would be :

1) yapping as most are trained to be quiet unless there is a problem, so if you hear a yapping dog please report it, as their human may be in trouble.

2) in a room alone, and not out in the parks with the disabled person.

3) not well groomed.

What would you do?

I would grab a beer, a chair and sit down and wait for one of the alligators to leap out and eat him. :scared1:

You can fish in most of the lakes just as long as it does not impact other guests or you don't go over board and try to catch every fish in the place.... I would suspect security would not say anything to him and i certainty would not.

My DS will be fishing at OKW this Sunday. In June, Hank told us we could fish in the lake by the Hospitality House on the other side of the bridge. My DSs caught several. Definitely catch and release.

It is doubtful ,though, no matter what function they perform that a service animal would be :

1) yapping as most are trained to be quiet unless there is a problem, so if you hear a yapping dog please report it, as their human may be in trouble.

2) in a room alone, and not out in the parks with the disabled person.

3) not well groomed.

#2 may not be valid. I have a blind friend with a service dog. Dog does not go to the parks with her, for example. She uses a cain and her family there. There are places she feels the dog is not a good fit and does not use her. Disney is problematic because of the large number of kids (and clueless parents) who want to 'play' with the dog.

#2 may not be valid. I have a blind friend with a service dog. Dog does not go to the parks with her, for example. She uses a cain and her family there. There are places she feels the dog is not a good fit and does not use her. Disney is problematic because of the large number of kids (and clueless parents) who want to 'play' with the dog.

Then why bring the dog at all on that type of trip?

I can't speak for OCC's blind friend, but I'd imagine because the service animal is more helpful than not on balance, and makes for a more comfortable trip. And, assuming so, good for them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter