I wish some people would think before they talk while at WDW

Nobody is going to be carted off to jail for saying something stupid, or even kicked out of WDW.

And there are idiots everywhere, not just in America.

There are laws against slander (spoken word) and libel (printed word) when it causes that person economic damage or other serious damage to reputation, and is done with malice.

As far as I remember there is no action for criminal libel in the United States. Libel and slander are civil violations and if brought into court, it will be in a civil court for damages, not a criminal court.

(Edited to add that I looked it up. Apparently there are some states which have very old criminal libel laws still on the books, but they are very infrequently prosecuted.)

ZachsMommy6 said:
Dont worry I will watch this and I am not afraid to stand up...
Hopefully thats alot better, not going to spell check it becasue no one every talks correctly so why worry about typing it corectly.

Honey, ignore the grammar nazis and post as you like.

OP, I dislike all the foreigners at Disney, as well-- and domestics for that matter. They make the lines so lengthy. Alas, whether or not the foreign population will be visiting en masse is more difficult to predict, for I know not their school and holiday calendars. Perhaps your aforementioned encounter was a result of frustration from overcrowding.

helenm29 said:
Unless someone is speaking directly to me or my family I don't let it bother me. Yes, I wouild like to ask them why they have that opinion but everyone has a right to say what they wish to say. Lets face it, we can't even get along with our neighbors half the time because of our "opinions" right? People from other parts of the world certainly have their opinions and usually don't hesitate to make them known but you have to remember that things are different where they come from...some better, some worse. If we could get along just while we are at DW it would definately be a start in the right direction. So,next time you hear something you don't like...either do something about it or let it go!

O.K....jumping off Soap Box! :wave:
This is true, opinions will always differ between people because of many reasons and thats where it starts. And everyone wants to think that thiers is the only right one. So my reply back to this would be, why is it if a fellow US citizen says something it seems that people what to make it a huge deal but if someone from another country would say something similiar the quick response is usually differnet like maybe thats how they do it there.
I could go into the illegal situation that is happening right now on our soil but I wont to save bandwidth. Bit I will touch upon it, English has become the international language esp thoughout business corporations but why is it we our slowly becoming bi-lingual with spanish.Whenever I traveled I was expected to learn a little bit of the language and customs not expect them to learn mine, I was in there country.
Ok I think I might be turning this topic into something other than how it was started. Sorry

Hi Everyone

I just wanted to share some of my experience from Disney. Firstly, I have met all kinds of people in this world - but I think in general most people are kind. We have made several trips to Disney in the past few years. I am (South African) Canadian and proudly display this in the hats and tees that I wear, esp at Disney. Some of my happiest and fondest memories are of the people we have met while vacationing at Disney. I have met some truly great American, British, Australian, Canadians and fellow South Africans. I think that with a smile and kind words to one another, even someone that may be having a bad day, can turn around. I have had some great conversations with people while waiting to see a parade or the fireworks. All I am trying to say is, sometimes someone may be having a bad day, or is tired from the heat or whatever their excuse might be BUT this situation can have a good ending. Opinions will always differ. If you dont like what someone is saying, either walk away or politely say to the person that your feelings were hurt. Sometimes you maybe surprised and the other person did not intentionally mean what they said. I think its great to meet new people - Disney is full of magic and I know there is plenty to go around the world. pixiedust: pixiedust: pixiedust: <--- For Everyone.

CR Resort Fan 4 Life said:
"god there are a lot of foreign people here

I don't see anything wrong with this comment. I see this as a normal comment from someone who lives in a location where there are never foreign people. Not meant as a bad thing. Just an observation. I live in a tourist location. There are more tourists than locals. I am a foreigner and even I say "Lots of foreign people here today". Can't wait for the Disney Cruise Line to start pulling into port. :teeth:

Was what he said an untruth? I don't see where it really could have hurt anyone. Lighten up and enjoy the day. :thumbsup2

Rhonda L said:
I am surprised no one bashed the word hillbilly. I know plenty of people that call them fighting words. I have to be more careful with that then anything else. Rhonda

I would have but where I'm at the hillbilly is the high school mascot! When I first moved here I was in high school and I could not believe it. Now that I have "hillbillies" playing sports, and winning academic awards I see the hillbilly and tuff spirit as a source of pride. By the way our hillbilly was changed a few years ago he has huge biceps and looks as tuff as any panther, wildcat, lion etc.

giantgolfer said:
I don't have a problem with what that guy said at all. To each his own I guess...

I agree. The guy made an observation- nothing more. I say the same thing every time I go to Niagara Falls. I'm getting so sick of all this PC stuff. How was what he said offensive?

Amy&Dan said:
Yeah, its pretty amazing how ignorant some people can be. Once while waiting for Cinderella's Surprise Celebration to start we struck up a conversation with a couple standing next to us. We got to talking about resorts, they mentioned they were staying at the Grand Floridian. I said something like "wow, lucky you, too expensive for our budget" to which he replied he had "blanked (insert anti semitic comment) them down" to get a better rate. I was shocked and horrified. DH and I backed away from him like he had bird flu we were so turned off. How can people be so flagrant with their ignorance and racism? And frankly I see way too much anti overweight, anti this and anti that all over the place. Even on the dis sometimes which is way too bad.

It sounds to me like he was just telling you that he jewed them down on the price and you took it be racist. Its not, if you look it up in the dictionary its "to bargain sharply with, beat down in price". Looks to me like you just didnt know that word and got offended for no reason. I've heard this word used all my life though in all honesty I always thought it was spelled different like "jue".

Brutie said:
It sounds to me like he was just telling you that he jewed them down on the price and you took it be racist. Its not, if you look it up in the dictionary its "to bargain sharply with, beat down in price". Looks to me like you just didnt know that word and got offended for no reason. I've heard this word used all my life though in all honesty I always thought it was spelled different like "jue".
Wow. You really don't understand the origin of the phrase, do you? It is absolutely an anti-Semitic slur.

my parents were once told to go back to where they were from because they didnt need the british. by a cast member at mgm, as you can imagine my parents were not very impressed (as come on theres loads of british at the parks) luckily they got his name and picture, an apology in person and they made sure the people at guest relations knew just how unhappy they were. Unfortunate downside is my parents now avoid mgm

and this was only a couple of years ago.

I always thought of the term "Jewed Down" as being an extremely negative and racist term.

ZachsMommy6 said:
OK so here is the corrected version by Microsoft Word, Sorry if it came off that I didnt know how to speak.
“You know I love this country for the fact you can speak you mind. I spent my life in the military(changed). In my mind this country is being forced to become too PC. I don’t mind people visiting or those who want to become citizens but if your visas expire get the heck out! And please don’t jump our borders, I be glad when there is a wall. My Pop is from the Holland and is proud he became American and if you ask him what nationality he is he will say American not Dutch.

Anyways, what is the difference between you saying someone is rude and when someone states what they say, nothing! I am learning to except or acknowledge others for who they are but I am not going to sit quietly and that can mean or be taken different ways. But let me decide not others even the government. I think that’s enough said to make people like you think."

I guess I need to stick to reading and not posting because this board seems to be getting way to Liberal for me. But still has good points or tips for when we go to Disney.

I believe only those that are in, or have family serving in the military will understand me. I clap my hands to the individual how has become naturalized.

As far as being from this country"HECK YEAH" I might not type like a professionial or someone who has a degree in english but apparently you understood what I was saying. Individuals like you, that think they are better than the next person are ones that truly make me sick. So what your income might be 6 digits or have a stay at home parent but that dont make you better. I was considering on getting some green ribbon to wear ans show Dis pride but if I might run into you or people similiar to you then thats not going to happen.

Anyways I love the fact I fight to defend rights like these, the right to not get along and to speak my mind. If anyone truly thinks that eventually everyone will get along they are wrong, people will only tolerate each other for the brief time they are together.

Dont worry I will watch this and I am not afraid to stand up...
Hopefully thats alot better, not going to spell check it becasue no one every talks correctly so why worry about typing it corectly.
I'm sorry but I still stand by my original question. :lmao:

Brutie said:
The person to whom you're referring took it as a racist comment because it IS a racist comment. Of course, there may be some clueless people out there who don't know the origin of the term (stereotype that Jews are cheap, so bargaining with someone in order to spend less money is acting like a Jew would act, and thus the verb "to jew").

So when you may have used the term in the past you did it in an innocent fashion, having no idea where it came from. No problem there. BUT NOW you are no longer unknowing of how offensive the term is. Now if you use the term in the future, you will do so knowing it is an offensive slur. I hope you'll choose not to, but God Bless America, you're allowed to say whatever you want.

WickedWench said:
You'll find ignorant people everywhere. Unless they're native americans, they're hypocrites too.

No one is a Native American. All people originally came from the other side of the world, albeit at different times.

Brutie said:

As people have pointed out, you just didn't know where the term came from. I just looked it up in several dictionarys. The only one that had that meaning of the word prefaced it with "offensive". It is racist - you just didn't realize it.

Brutie said:
All righty then, since you ran to a dictionary I figured I'd surf to one. Here's a listing from www.dictionary.com:
jew
tr.v. Offensive, jewed, jew·ing, jews
To bargain shrewdly or unfairly with. Often used with down.
To haggle so as to reduce (a price). Often used with down.
[From Jews' supposedly extortionate practices as moneylenders in the Middle Ages.]

Notice that in dictionary.com's listing, after "tr.v." (which means "transitive verb") it says "Offensive." The dictionary TELLS US that that use of the word is offensive.

The funny thing about this word is its use as a noun, referring to a person rather than an action. The PC police are out in TOO STRONG a force with this one. Many non-Jews, in trying to be PC, mistakenly believe that ANY use of the word "Jew" is offensive, and always use the term "Jewish people" instead of "Jews." To identify or label someone as a Jew isn't offensive or inappropriate at all. I mean think about it ... let's say someone got together a committee to look at religious practices in your town. If the newspaper article about it said, "Committee members include three Catholics, three Methodists, and three Jewish people" that's just weird PC run amok. It's perfectly fine to refer to the non-Christians above as "Jews." And if they insist on being weirdly, wrongly PC and referring to them as "Jewish people," then they should be consistent and refer to the others as "Catholic people" and "Methodist people."

Brutie said:

No, I know the origin of the word quite well. It does indeed refer to trying to get a price down or bargaining. But its offensive nonetheless. As someone else pointed out, "Jew" in itself is hardly a racist term. Just like dog breeders will refer to female dogs as a b**ch. But if you call a woman you work with that name, she probably won't like you anymore regardless of what the dictionary might have to say. You may have the definition right but you are missing the point. I believe if you thought it was "jue" you may be the one confused about this word, its meaning and why you won't hear many people with any common sense use it. Some of the comments on this thread have been a tad silly. But I stand by my original observation that the man I encountered awhile back at MK was being racist and offensive. If you don't believe me, contact a local rabbi in your area and see what he/she might have to say about it.

Not to bring up a dead horse, but when I went back to DL this past year I was SHOCKED at how many hispanic families were there. Part of our family is hispanic but not from Mexico. I was thinking WOW, the economy down there must be getting better for families to afford this....One gentleman said he had family in Anaheim and they were staying a week with them and then back to Baja. Before that I saw a lot of Japanese and Australian tourists but it had some what changed.

Also the term "I got GYPED out of something" can be hurtful. I found out by attending a adoption meeting one time that a woman's daughter from Eastern Europe was part gypsy. I had no idea until she mentioned it and was glad the term was a dying thing of the past!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter