I was given the "wait and go when they all will remember it" lecture again

Whenever we get that reaction I say "But WE will remember. We will remember their faces at 2, 3, 4 or older when they saw the castle or met a Disney character." Our oldest daughter's 1st trip was at 22 months, our 2nd daughter's was at 10 months (with a 3 year old big sister) and out youngest daughter's 1st trip was just after her 1st birthday (with 5 year old and 3 year old big sisters). I LOVED each and every trip and cherished seeing my girls change with each trip!

I used to be one of those people... until I had a kid. It changed my perspective completely! I now tell anyone with small kids that they NEED to take them while they're young and still have that magical sparkle in their eye.

I went when I was 5, don't remember my trip at all.

I went again when I was 10 and remember thinking a lot of stuff was babyish. But then again, AK & HS hadn't developed yet.

I think people who say: "Wait until they're older" are people who a) have no kids or b) haven't been to WDW in a while and forget how magical the vacation can really be for any age.

I am taking my son and I don't expect him to remember much, but we'll have plenty of video and photos for him to relieve and remember the memories. And we're also bringing Nana & Grandma with us who haven't commented on the 'waiting' idea either. They are just as thrilled. :goodvibes

Yep. Heard the exact same thing from a couple of people. My parents, on the other hand, were like, "Go. You will all have a blast." Our kiddo was 3 when we went. She still talks about the tea cups.

We're taking her again a year later. To hell with the naysayers. :laughing:

I only skimmed the thread, but I hate this argument! Dd22 mos has been twice, and will go again this summer. We are going on a cruise when she is 3-already booked on the Dream for 2012. She may not remember, but she has a ball when we are there! Her reaction to Playhouse Disney last June was worth the price of the trip!

Do these people celebrate Christmas, have birthday parties, for their young kids? Why isn't the argument the same? Why does Santa come to see kids when they won't remember him? Because it is FUN! :goodvibes

We took our kids when DD was 3, DS was 18 mos. My DS remembered everything!!! Instead of getting frustrated by know it alls, just ask them to keep the kids while you and DH go. They will probably see the benifits of taking them while they're little. Under 3 go free!!! Good luck!:thumbsup2

It never ceases to amaze me how people think they need to manage what other people do...:confused3

What difference does it makes whether they remember it or not?! YOU will! I treasure all the pictures of my little ones at Disney, and it made me happy to take them, so that's all that matters. It's not like you're asking these lecturing individuals to pay for your trip, so where do they get off telling you not to go. :rolleyes1

I agree with a lot of what has been said here. My kids were 5 and 3 the first time they went. They do not remember everything but I have those memories. I have been able to watch them appreciate it more with every trip either WDW or DLR. Like someone said before you build on the foundations you are given. DW and I have chosen to do these trips and could care less what others say.

Had this discussion with my aunt today and I am tired of trying to explain to certain people that my 2 and 4 year olds will have a lot to enjoy and get out of this Disney World trip we are planning. I know everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but why is the "go when they will remember it" theory always brought up in reference to Disney World and not other family vacation destinations? I can't tell you how many times this has been drummed into my head to the point where it sowed seeds of doubt into both me and DH's minds bringing us to almost cancel this trip on more than one occasion. I know it is a pricey vacation for many and isn't a vacation many people can do often in their lifetime; but no one says don't take a family vacation to the beach or don't go on a camping trip, or don't go on a cruise or where ever because your child "won't remember" or "appreciate" it; or don't take them to the zoo or throw them a nice birthday party until they are a certain age "because they won't remember it". But when you plan a family vacation to Disney World, this theory always comes up. I just don't understand it :confused3

Well... i think it's a bunch of BS. You and your family go when you want to go. Who cares what others think or say. They will enjoy it and yes if they are like 3 or younger they might forget when they get older but hey that's what a camera is for and video.... My son was 4 when we brought him and he remembers more than me :rotfl2:.. You and your family go and have some Disney fun!! :cool1:

The kids may not remember it, but you will. You'll have the joy of seeing their faces light up when they see Mickey or Pluto or whoever. You'll have the fun of seeing them have fun -- and they will love to look back over the photos you take (because you will take lots!) over the years when they can remember!

:thumbsup2

My thoughts exactly!! The awe and Wonder in a little kids eyes at Disney World is one of the best things to see!!! You will cherish your memories together! :love:

Well- we aren't doing birthdays either til our kids are 5yo. Why bother? :lmao:
No need to do Santa either. Christmas gifts are a waste for any kid under 5. :eek:
What else can we skip? Bedtime stories, Easter bunny gifts...anybody else have any things to add? THINK of all the $$$ we'll save ;)

*bang head against desk*

I don't like it when people try to kill my Disney buzz either!!!!
For what it is worth, my parents took me to Disneyland when I was 4. I remember plenty! I still want to do Tea Cups FIRST at MK every visit because of a particularly happy memory from that trip--DH thinks I am nuts. :rotfl: I also remember going on the Alice in Wonderland ride, in a car that looked like the caterpillar. Not sure what it is called. Also remember running to Its A Small World holding my Moms hand, my Dad took a picture b/c there was no line!! A lot of other memories are just impressions and probably run together with memories from Disneyland when I was about 7. (Like the pirates of Caribbean and Tiki Room and eating a meal in a pirate themed restaurant?) I probably remember these things b/c the pictures were in a collage on our wall for a few years and then resurfaced periodically over the years.
We took my son to MK when he was 18months old. We have priceless pictures that are very meaningful to us. We went to MK again when DD was 1 and DS was 4. Again, kids had a great time and we have wonderful pictures to remember. My son remembers things from that trip, the pictures probably help with that.
Did not get to do WDW proper until DD was 6 and DS was 9. I was really worried that we had missed something. It ended up being the perfect ages. They were able to ride everything! If we could have gone when DD was 3 or 4 and DS was 6 or 7 it would have been wonderful,:cloud9: but I won't regret something I can't change :)
Soooo tell your Aunt that this is important to you and you would appreciate it if she would keep her thoughts to herself because you are not going to change your mind, and she is killing your Disney buzz!

We haven't been to Disney since 2005. My kids were 5,3, and 18 months. My older two remember it and my youngest (now 7yo) has no memory of it. That does not hinder her enjoyment of watching the video or seeing the pictures and hearing stories about that trip at all. She loves hearing about how she loved all the characters from across the room but tried to escape from her highchair when they got close to her. She asks me to repeat the Goofy story all the time. (When she realized she couldn't undo the safety belt and escape, she hid her face in her hands until he left) princess:

You know who else loves remembering all that stuff...her parents..who felt the trip was well worth the money! I just wish we had been able to get them back to Disney long before now. Better late than never I suppose!!!!!!

I say book your vacations based on what your family will enjoy and tell the naysayers to stick it!!!! :laughing:

We took DD's for the first time when they were 3 and 5. The youngest doesn't remember that trip at all. They are 12 and 14 now and are avid disney fans. Get 'em hooked while they're young, I always say!

Why not just tell them you plan on going again (or many times) when they are older so this is not an issue for you?:confused3

People WOULD say the same thing about birthday parties if they thought you were only going to do them once or twice in a lifetime.

Had this discussion with my aunt today and I am tired of trying to explain to certain people that my 2 and 4 year olds will have a lot to enjoy and get out of this Disney World trip we are planning. I know everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but why is the "go when they will remember it" theory always brought up in reference to Disney World and not other family vacation destinations? I can't tell you how many times this has been drummed into my head to the point where it sowed seeds of doubt into both me and DH's minds bringing us to almost cancel this trip on more than one occasion. I know it is a pricey vacation for many and isn't a vacation many people can do often in their lifetime; but no one says don't take a family vacation to the beach or don't go on a camping trip, or don't go on a cruise or where ever because your child "won't remember" or "appreciate" it; or don't take them to the zoo or throw them a nice birthday party until they are a certain age "because they won't remember it". But when you plan a family vacation to Disney World, this theory always comes up. I just don't understand it :confused3

Our DS is now 7 and he still talks about when he was 2 and at disney. I love looking at all the photos and hearing him talk about the trip :lovestruc

my kids are too old for me to get that personally, BUT I do get that from people all the time when talking about Disney. And I always answer that it's not JUST for them. When my youngest was 3 years old, we had "waited till my daughter" ( the middle child ) was "old enough". and when #3 came along, we figured "ah whatever" ... Let me tell you... no one appreciated that trip like the 3 year old who wouldn't remember it! And What's more... it made OUR trip that much more magical. *YOU* will remember the amazement in that 2 or 4 year old's eyes when he sees Mickey, or Hercules, or whoever it is that makes that magic for him. For us, it was Peter Pan. Carrying my 3 year old on my shoulders and racing along the parade where Peter was so that he could make sure Peter SAW him...

They may not remember in 10 years... but you will.

Why not just tell them you plan on going again (or many times) when they are older so this is not an issue for you?:confused3

People WOULD say the same thing about birthday parties if they thought you were only going to do them once or twice in a lifetime.

I used to think that was the reason, but I don't know if that's really it now. I've gotten the "But she won't remember" comments from people who know we go fairly often, and I can't imagine that it is because they're thinking that the next trip is suddenly going to become the once-in-a-lifetime, never-to-be-repeated adventure. But when we were planning trip #4, DD2's first trip @ 16mo, we got a lot of comments about waiting... Never mind that waiting for her to hit that 4-5yo "perfect age" would mean our oldest would be in high school before the next trip!

I think it has more to do with the money spent (or rather, the perception of how pricey Disney is) and the idea that you get more "money's worth" out of a trip if everyone will remember it years down the road. Obviously I don't agree; if I had to assign dollar values to our Disney memories watching DD2 kiss Mickey square on the nose would be at the top of the list, regardless of whether she remembers that in 10 years. But I think that's where the difference lies between Disney and things like birthday parties and the zoo - cost, not frequency.

I just think of all the huge smiles from my kids while they are there, and not so much if they will remember it or not.

our girls were 3 and 5 the first time they went and while the one who was 3 doesn't remember it, we definitely do and they watch the videos of themselves all the time. it is so magical to take them when they believe that it is all real. just their expressions and their little eyes lighting up. i wouldn't trade that trip for anything. we've been many times since and every age brings something different and special. i say go for it. follow your heart!

My girls were 9, 5 and 1.5 for our first trip (ok it was only last July but still it COUNTS!).

All 3 of them (yes even the youngest who will be 3 this November) remember that trip like it was yesterday!

My youngest points out princesses and tells me their names (the first time she heard their names was @ Disney!). She was the reason I told DH that we didnt want to go to Busch Gardens for his R&R trip, we wanted to go to WDW! How can you resist a 2 year old looking up at you going "Mommy! Disney World Go BACK!" over and over again with a huge smile on her face?

I admit her first few character interactions (with those not in human form) were kind of scary (my DSis took pictures of her trying to climb out of her high chair and into my lap) but by day 3 it was second nature to her and she was going after Donald and Daisy with gusto!

There is no way of knowing if your child will or will not remember thier first trip to Disney but you will have the memories and pictures of the wonder on your DC's face the first time they view the castle, get a hug from a character, eat their first Mickey Bar, ride their first ride!

Just ignore your aunt and any other nay-sayers. :hug::hug::hug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter