• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I Told You Driving Was Bad For Your Health! *2/2* NEW TRIP REPORT LINK P102

I am also in the rainbow swiss chard camp- I have planted this is my garden. To eat, not as decoration. But it is very pretty.

Once again, thanks for sharing all of your amazing pictures. For the record- NOT too many!

Savannah and Tybee Island are both so pretty!

I love the graveyard and the cathedral is just gorgeous. What amazing artistry in the stations of the cross and the stained glass and the altar.

Too bad you didn't get to go up in the lighthouse.

Tybee looks like a really fun place to spend some time.

Thanks again for the tour!

I am never bored seeing your pictures! I just find myself and then end and think "is that all". Simply amazing!

The cemetery is a place I would really like to see. It may sound odd, but I find unique cemeteries beautiful. (albeit kinda creepy and yes...I would imagine scary at night.)

The church is breath taking.

Just 45 minutes? It will definitely be on my to do list if/when we go to HHI!

All caught up - really great pictures! I may have some of the same ones from Savannah!

That lighthouse is pretty! I always think of Jackie (charleston princess) when I hear Tybee Island! I also am curious about the no backpacks rule.

There are so many beautiful square parks in GA.
I would love to take a walking tour and just listen to the many stories pertaining to the history of the squares. I know some where owned or taken care of by the land owners, but the city of GA owns all of them now. I wanted our youngest to go to the University of Savannah after we toured the city. The whole point of the University is to preserve the buildings and squares of Savannah.

During the Civil War, the young soldiers had no where to sleep, so they put a camp in the cemetery. I heard a story how they moved the head stones around, so when loved one's came to visit, they would see a different name where they thought they were looking. The poor soldiers were probably to afraid to sleep at night so the started getting into trouble.
IMG_1129_zps19517031.jpg

The church looks stunning! I'm a sucker for old, ornate churches, for sure. Those Stations are pretty incredible too. All of the churches I go to, they are just paintings, so those are amazing to see.

Lovely trip to the island, although the weather didn't seem to be on your side.

Hello my dear friend! I took this morning to try and catch up on all my threads and I'm almost done! Your's is as amazing as always and I always feel like I'm right there with you! Can't wait to keep up now....here's hoping anyways:thumbsup2

Wonderful photo tour - thanks for sharing!! That cathedral is stunning. I love the beautiful stained glass.

That graveyard is reminiscent of Haunted Mansion - gotta throw a Disney reference in there! ;) (I didn't read all the comments but I'm sure that was already said!)

I've never seen Tybee Island - rain or shine. Ha! But it looks like a lovely visit Glad that worked out. I just love the architecture and style of the south. There's so much character. :)

So, I had the Philadelphia news on when I was getting ready for work this morning and they said that

Charleston is ranked #6 in the world for friendliest cities

and

Savannah is ranked #16th.

I'd believe it. Southern hospitality is not a myth.

On the down side, Wilmington DE, which is close to my home, is ranked #17 for UN-friendliest cities.

Not fair. You just have to know which dark alleys are safest.

Whether you are religious or not, I think you can appreciate the beauty and craftsmanship of this church.

Gorgeous!

Pulaski Square

Is that where they filmed Forrest Gump?

But I was more interested in the lighthouse. Unfortunately, it was just about closing time for admission and quite honestly no one felt like taking the ascent after all the walking we had done.

But you got some cool lighthouse pictures!:thumbsup2

Seriously - my mom's got furniture like this in her basement and I always wonder why she keeps it around.

Check on the price! :faint:

:eek:

I've got plenty more where that came from!

For all you weather buffs

Yeah, that's comforting.

On the down side, Wilmington DE, which is close to my home, is ranked #17 for UN-friendliest cities. All I can say is - FIGURES!
:rotfl::lmao::rotfl2:

Whether you are religious or not, I think you can appreciate the beauty and craftsmanship of this church.
Absolutely. Beautiful building.

I wondered whether they were setting up for a wedding. There was an event coordinator there, but she wouldn't give us any details.
But I'm sure she was very kind and friendly while essentially telling you to mind your own business. It isn't Wilmington, you know. :rotfl2:

But I was more interested in the lighthouse. Unfortunately, it was just about closing time for admission and quite honestly no one felt like taking the ascent after all the walking we had done.
I figured Denny would be all over that one. :rolleyes1

They were setting up for some festival to be held the next day (no - not the wine festival, but how great would that be to wonder from tent to tent refilling up the 'ol wine glass).
As long as they have an air conditioned tent with a cot it in to pass out in at the end of the day. :thumbsup2

We drove further onto the island. Not my idea of the perfect beach house.
Maybe a little bit closer to my budget though.

Who am I kidding, I still wouldn't be able to pay for the ground it sits on. :rotfl::rotfl2::lmao:

Seriously - my mom's got furniture like this in her basement and I always wonder why she keeps it around.

Check on the price! :faint:
And now you know.

We got back to the car just as it started to rain again. Impeccable timing, if I do say so myself.
It's nice when it actually works out that way. :thumbsup2

Loved catching up on the mega updates.!

Glad you are all caught up! :thumbsup2 I know that must be hard with school starting.

The church is beautiful.!

Isn't it? I absolutely loved it in there.

I'd love to visit all of these places one of these days!

I hope you get a chance. HHI is just so beautiful and it really is a special place. Plus the deep south is so cool. I just love it!

Definitely Swiss Chard.

Glen - did you pick up that horticultural knowledge at Longwood Gardens? I'm impressed. Swiss Chard is moving into the lead.

Great pictures as always MEK.

Thanks. Glad you enjoyed them!

I am also in the rainbow swiss chard camp- I have planted this is my garden. To eat, not as decoration. But it is very pretty.

Cool. Well, I guess if you grow it then you would know. Looks like swiss chard is becoming the clear winner.

IOnce again, thanks for sharing all of your amazing pictures. For the record- NOT too many!

You're welcome and thank you for the compliment. I am please with a lot of the pictures.

ISavannah and Tybee Island are both so pretty!

Gorgeous. The entire low country is so amazingly cool. I really love it there.

II love the graveyard and the cathedral is just gorgeous. What amazing artistry in the stations of the cross and the stained glass and the altar.

Such a contrast between the graveyard and the cathedral. The graveyard is so old and really has a spooky tone to it. The cathedral is so newly and nicely refurbed. Definitely a contrast.

Too bad you didn't get to go up in the lighthouse.

I know, but we DID get to visit another Lighthouse during our Florida trip and we DID go up it.

Tybee looks like a really fun place to spend some time.

I enjoyed my visit to Tybee. It was a lot of fun. Once again, big contrast between Tybee and HHI, but both are really cool places.

IThanks again for the tour!

You're welcome. Next update we tour Beaufort.

I am never bored seeing your pictures! I just find myself and then end and think "is that all". Simply amazing!

Cool! I'm so glad you are enjoying the pictures. I will relax and not worry about posting too many.

The cemetery is a place I would really like to see. It may sound odd, but I find unique cemeteries beautiful. (albeit kinda creepy and yes...I would imagine scary at night.)

I totally agree with you. I love old cemeteries. There is something really cool about looking at the old gravestones that can barely be read. Yes - I do think that cemetery would be VERY scary at night considering Savannah is supposed to be the most haunted city in the US.

The church is breath taking.

Isn't it? What a lovely job they did with the restoration. Just amazing.

Just 45 minutes? It will definitely be on my to do list if/when we go to HHI!

If you are going to travel across county to see HHI you've GOT to go to Savannah. It's just too close not to.

Sorry I am skimpy with the replies tonight. I am just so exhausted. Be back tomorrow with more replies.

Hey there... remember me? ;)

Just catching up after being a very bad Dis er...:rolleyes1 and enjoying this TR so much since it's bringing back memories of the Savannah/Tybee part of last month's vaca... (Awesome photos as usual)

So glad that Denny is doing so well...:hug: and Congrats on your GF DVC ...:yay:

I'm so ready to go to HH... we missed it this time... but we'll def be back and I can't wait to stay there...it looks lovely (Is is me or do those Southern beaches just have so much character?)

I know I'm missing some things cause I'm tired but I do fondly remember Shrimp and Grits and Fried Green Tomatoes...:thumbsup2

Savannah is such a cool atmospheric place... love, love all the squares-they give such distinct character...Leopold's was lovely-great ice cream and we got to meet the owner...really nice man... ( I found out later he was a former Paramount exec... which I guess explains a lot of the movie memorabilia...)

I agree with you about the low country... really special...

Btw... while I think the spanish moss is really great to look at, photogenic, etc... Someone told me that chiggers(?) live in it and apparently Henry Ford tried to use it as some point as filler for seat cushions on cars but well apparently had to stop well... because they burrowed out of the cushions and onto the people...:crazy2: (just a fun fact...:thumbsup2)

Can't wait to hear about Beaufort...

Mary Ellen

When we went to Savannah 3 years ago - we did the Ghost Tour - and I can tell you the cemetery is very scary at night. It was great fun though going round hearing all the stories of haunted houses and stuff. I'm normally such a sook but my sister and I just love ghost tours for some reason :confused3

We also did the one at St Augustine - I can recommend both of them.

Your pictures are beautiful as always and it was great to see Tybee Island - that was somewhere we didnt get to as the parents decided to not like each other that day and Dad the driver wouldnt stop and insisted on going to the next place :rolleyes1 Families :scared: Such good memories :lmao:

Love the cemetery, and that cathedral is gorgeous. The stained glass must have been amazing in person with all that beautiful light streaming through it.

Tybee Island looks like a fun place to visit. Colorful, and I like that. :goodvibes

All caught up - really great pictures! I may have some of the same ones from Savannah!

I bet you do. I can't wait to see yours!

That lighthouse is pretty! I always think of Jackie (charleston princess) when I hear Tybee Island! I also am curious about the no backpacks rule.

Me too! I thought about Jackie from the moment we pulled onto the island. I wish I knew where her little beach house rental was. That place was just too cute.

I seriously think the no back-pack thing is some kind of misguided security rule.

There are so many beautiful square parks in GA.
I would love to take a walking tour and just listen to the many stories pertaining to the history of the squares. I know some where owned or taken care of by the land owners, but the city of GA owns all of them now.

I agree - that would be very cool because there is so much history in that town. I started reading Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil so I could learn a bit. I actually lost the book (or thought I did), but I found it the other day and am going to try to read it again. It's a cool book.

I wanted our youngest to go to the University of Savannah after we toured the city. The whole point of the University is to preserve the buildings and squares of Savannah.

What a marvelous idea. All those buildings really do deserve to be preserved. They pointed some of the buildings out the last time I took a trolley tour there.

During the Civil War, the young soldiers had no where to sleep, so they put a camp in the cemetery. I heard a story how they moved the head stones around, so when loved one's came to visit, they would see a different name where they thought they were looking. The poor soldiers were probably to afraid to sleep at night so the started getting into trouble.
IMG_1129_zps19517031.jpg

That's a great story. I bet even back then it was pretty spooky in that cemetery. I can't imagine what it was like back in the day. I would love to do a ghost tour in Savannah. I bet there are some really spooky stories.

The church looks stunning! I'm a sucker for old, ornate churches, for sure. Those Stations are pretty incredible too. All of the churches I go to, they are just paintings, so those are amazing to see. .

Me too! I love an old church. It just has so much life to it. And I have never stations that beautiful before. The amount of work is really amazing.

Lovely trip to the island, although the weather didn't seem to be on your side.

I'm glad we got to see Tybee and get some pictures of the lighthouse before it rained. We also lucked out with our timing. I am so happy I got back to the car before soaking my camera. That would have been really bad.

Hello my dear friend! I took this morning to try and catch up on all my threads and I'm almost done! Your's is as amazing as always and I always feel like I'm right there with you! Can't wait to keep up now....here's hoping anyways:thumbsup2

:welcome: Jacquie! :cool1: So excited that you stopped by. Isn't it great when you finally catch up on your threads. I love that feeling. I hope all is going well with you. I miss seeing you around the boards. Glad you are enjoying the pictures. :thumbsup2

Wonderful photo tour - thanks for sharing!! That cathedral is stunning. I love the beautiful stained glass.

Isn't it lovely. The stained glass is really quite stunning. That is my second time visiting the cathedral and I don't think I could ever get tired of just sitting there and meditating for a few moments.

That graveyard is reminiscent of Haunted Mansion - gotta throw a Disney reference in there! ;) (I didn't read all the comments but I'm sure that was already said!)

:lmao: Gotta love a Disney reference. That graveyard was pretty cool in the day time, but I would not want to get stuck there after dark. :scared1:

I've never seen Tybee Island - rain or shine. Ha! But it looks like a lovely visit Glad that worked out. I just love the architecture and style of the south. There's so much character. :)

The south turned out to be so much more than I originally expected. I was drawn to it the moment I first visited. I am convinced I am really a southern girl at heart. Tybee was a cute little place and I'm glad you got a brief visit.

I'd believe it. Southern hospitality is not a myth.

I definitely think it is reality and NOT a myth. I found all the people very friendly.

Not fair. You just have to know which dark alleys are safest.

Uhmmm .....riiiiiight! :rotfl:

Gorgeous!

That church was stunning. It totally goes above and beyond! What a treasure.

Is that where they filmed Forrest Gump?

Chippewa Square is where they filmed it. I had a couple pictures from there in the first Savannah update. I feel like I need to go back and watch that movie again now that I've been there.

But you got some cool lighthouse pictures!:thumbsup2

That surely was a cool lighthouse. I'm glad I was able to get a few decent shots.

:eek:

I've got plenty more where that came from!

Unfortunately, so do I. :rotfl:

Yeah, that's comforting.

Not! :rotfl: I think they put it up just in case anyone gets brave (er I mean stupid) and wants to try to ride a storm. Hello people? Take a look at the 'ol storm surge meeter. Now git on out of here. What are you waiting for? :laughing:

I'm behind again (mom got some serious financial news this weekend and I've been trying to deal with it). Love the photos...especially of the lighthouse. It makes me think of the one I'll be seeing in 10 days. :)

Yeah - I'm torn - I don't know whether to laugh or cry about that stat. I would like to know what the #1 unfriendliest city it. :confused3

Absolutely. Beautiful building.

It really was a gorgeous building. It was so serene and so detailed. The restoration was really well done.

But I'm sure she was very kind and friendly while essentially telling you to mind your own business. It isn't Wilmington, you know. :rotfl2:

Exactly. My kind of gal! :laughing:

I figured Denny would be all over that one. :rolleyes1

He begged to go up that lighthouse, even wanted to race, but I said No. :rotfl:

As long as they have an air conditioned tent with a cot it in to pass out in at the end of the day. :thumbsup2

I didn't see that, but you never know. They weren't done setting up yet. :rotfl:

Maybe a little bit closer to my budget though.

Who am I kidding, I still wouldn't be able to pay for the ground it sits on. :rotfl2::lmao:[/QUOTE]

Mine too! :rotfl: I can't afford anything that close to ANY beach.

And now you know.

Yup - Now I know. Now if I only knew about all the other "antiques" in her basement I'd be set. :thumbsup2

It's nice when it actually works out that way. :thumbsup2

It certainly is, because that walk back could have been disastrous for my camera. :scared1:

Hey there... remember me? ;)

Welcome back Patricia! I hope you and the family had an awesome vacation. I can't wait to hear all about it!

Just catching up after being a very bad Dis er...:rolleyes1 and enjoying this TR so much since it's bringing back memories of the Savannah/Tybee part of last month's vaca... (Awesome photos as usual)

You are not a bad DISer, just a busy DISer. I'm glad you are getting caught up. So glad you like the pictures. I can't wait to hear what you thought about Savannah and Tybee!

So glad that Denny is doing so well...:hug: and Congrats on your GF DVC ...:yay:

Thanks and thanks! I am very excited about the GF. It just looks amazing. :thumbsup2

I'm so ready to go to HH... we missed it this time... but we'll def be back and I can't wait to stay there...it looks lovely (Is is me or do those Southern beaches just have so much character?)

I think you would absolutely love HHI. Have you ever been there? It's so unique. I agree with you - the Southern beaches have so much character and HHI is choked full of character. Hope you get to visit soon. It's an amazing place.

I know I'm missing some things cause I'm tired but I do fondly remember Shrimp and Grits and Fried Green Tomatoes...:thumbsup2

They were OUTSTANDING. I wish I could get that exact same meal somewhere around here. How perfect would that be?

Savannah is such a cool atmospheric place... love, love all the squares-they give such distinct character...Leopold's was lovely-great ice cream and we got to meet the owner...really nice man... ( I found out later he was a former Paramount exec... which I guess explains a lot of the movie memorabilia...)

Glad to hear that you loved it as much as I did. I just think its such an amazing place. I really enjoyed Leopold's, even though I never got to meet the owner. I guess his former occupation fits perfectly.

I agree with you about the low country... really special...

Yup, really special. I remember Ell (podsnel) telling me that before my first trip and she was so right!

Btw... while I think the spanish moss is really great to look at, photogenic, etc... Someone told me that chiggers(?) live in it and apparently Henry Ford tried to use it as some point as filler for seat cushions on cars but well apparently had to stop well... because they burrowed out of the cushions and onto the people...:crazy2: (just a fun fact...:thumbsup2)

I heard that - well about the chiggers, not Henry Ford. My GF really wanted to bring some of it home but once she heard about the chiggers she changed her mind - fast. Imagine that. :laughing:

Can't wait to hear about Beaufort...

Coming up very soon.

Sorry I didn't finish replies tonight. But I just fell asleep with my computer burning my lap, so I think its time to say goodnight y'all!

Hey MEK! Just checking in to let you know I'm still reading, it's just harder to comment without an actual computer. Hahah. Enjoying the report!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter