I thought it would be uncomplicated :(

stitchaholic

DIS Veteran
I am so thankful to have these boards where there are many brides going through the process.....
My fiance and I were going to elope to jamaica, truly uncomplicated and all about us :love:
Then I started telling him how my sisters family and my parents and I were trying to plan a Disney trip to have a family vacation, something we haven't done together since we were kids.
He says, wow, wouldn't it be fun to get married at Disney, that way we could bring my kids and combine the wedding/honeymoon family vacation.
We told everyone and my sister was very excited to be going back to the world, and very much into the idea.
we since decided to get married on the beach (I had my heart set on a very simple beach wedding,barefoot in the sand) and honeymoon and celebrate at Disney, we have had several planning meetings together.
Now, her husband is complaining because he doesn't want to go to Disney,they have already been there (he didn't like it :scared1:) and rather go to mexico.
Now she is complaining to me that Disney is too expensive, would i be mad if they couldn't afford it ?:confused3
Uhhhhh, how could I be mad if they can't afford it? But ya,I would be very mad if they tell me that and then book a caribean trip ?
Is it too high of an expectation to have my own sister at my wedding ????
anybody else go through something like this because of a destination wedding ?

I know exactly how you feel. We were planning a family vacation to Disney and then when we saw the Escape package we decided to get married while we were there because it sounded like so much fun. I had no intention of inviting anyone except our children and parents. Of course all of our siblings whined that they were not coming so we decided to go for the added expense and book a Wishes Wedding so everyone could come and bring their kids. Now my furture sister in law who doesn't have to worry about money informed us that she can't afford it and doesnt want to take her kids out of school. My future step son who is an adult announced that unless we pay for his trip he is not coming. R U Kidding me?
We now went from a headcount of 40 down to 29 and I expect more no responses anyday. This is why I wanted a simple wedding because when families get involved and you try to make them happy they do nothing but stress the wedding couple.
I have decided to just be happy no matter what happens. If someone really loves us and wants to see us be married they will come no matter what the cost. If not oh well! You should do the same just make sure you do what makes you happy!

I know, your absolutly right! I have to try and put this aside, although I can't help feeling hurt.
We will set the date this weekend and quai sera sera !

Just a quick post,butI wanted to say Mexico is a very scary place to be right now!!! Disney is much much safer!

Your sister's family has many more years and opportunities to go to Mexico/the Caribbean. Your wedding is a once in a life occasion. If I were you I'd sit down and talk about the real reason she isn't going to come (sounds like her husband)..why can't she just come on her own? Explain that as her sister, it is really important to have her at your wedding.

Also, you might want to read through the critisism of Disney weddings thread, unfortunately, many of us have family/friends who complicate things and cause drama.

that's why I am thankful for all the DISbrides, I know everyone has some family drama and that I have somewhere to vent :grouphug:

My older sister is not a huge Disney fan, but my BIL/Niece/Nephew are. My sis keeps saying "I could afford this if someone wasn't going to Disney to get married". My response "You don't have to come, I will have lots of video and pictures for you to see when I get back".

At the end of the day it is your wedding. Not your families. It is a day that you will never get back so make sure it is what you want. You can't make everyone happy so just ensure that you and your DF are happy.

And I would be mad if she booked another trip after saying she couldn't afford the Disney one.

Good luck with the wedding planning. And once your day arrives, whoever is there will enjoy themselves. :cheer2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter