I think i am being rude but don't know what else to do

No, there's nothing wrong at all with starting up a conversation with a stranger. In the OP's case, the personal nature of the questions made her feel uncomfortable and threatened.

I think we all have that internal sensor that tells us when the stranger talking to us is just trying to be friendly, and when they're a potential threat. You're talking about the first case, the OP is talking about the second.

We've all had that moment when the alarm bells start going off that something's not right about the person talking to us, and it's important to listen to those alarms.

OP, there's nothing at all rude about not wanting to share personal information with someone you don't know. If someone's being too pushy, it's OK to get up and move to another seat, maybe closer to the driver. I've done that myself when someone is making me uncomfortable on public transportation. That way, it looks like you're just moving forward because your stop is coming up and you want to be closer to the door.

Very true. I can't imagine asking stuff that personal and I'm a talker. :blush:

Today was not to bad very quiet I sat in the front though and I try not to do that even though I am better protected. I like to save the front for those that can't make it to the front because they are more disabled then I am

tinkerbellandeeyor said:
Today was not to bad very quiet I sat in the front though and I try not to do that even though I am better protected. I like to save the front for those that can't make it to the front because they are more disabled then I am
your so thoughtful. :)
Glad to hear nothing weird happened today. Although weird isn't always bad. It can be entertaining. Lol.

You're worried about being rude to people who are being rude to you by asking personal info! And it's not rude at all to wear headphones on public transportation. Now, my husband wearing headphones on our date? That's another story. :headache: But, he was missing a playoff game in his defense. I should have been happy he was there at all. :confused3

Disney LOVE Travel said:
You're worried about being rude to people who are being rude to you by asking personal info! And it's not rude at all to wear headphones on public transportation. Now, my husband wearing headphones on our date? That's another story. :headache: But, he was missing a playoff game in his defense. I should have been happy he was there at all. :confused3

Good point but the reason this thread was stared was because these same people are calling me a snob for reading the entire bus ride or listing to music depending who is on board

I've had people ask where I'm from because I'm have a southern accent. But, I've never had anyone ask what street I live on whether I was at the doctor, or on a plane, or anywhere.

Good for you. I have on the city bus and train.

Good point but the reason this thread was stared was because these same people are calling me a snob for reading the entire bus ride or listing to music depending who is on board

I bet you a lot of people on the bus you ride are reading or wearing headphones. :) And no, it's not rude or snobby, not at all. There's no obligation to talk to anyone, if you don't want to.

Public transportation is a little different environment, people seem to like to keep to themselves. They're either tired 'cause it's morning, thinking about what they need to be doing at work that day, or it's the end of a long, stressful day and they just want to be alone with their thoughts for a little while.

I know when I used to ride the train a lot, it seemed like most people were reading newspapers, reading a book, doing work, napping, or lost in their thoughts. If friends were riding together, they'd be chatting, but everyone else was quiet.

I think that's ridiculous. You don't owe those people anything. I think eye contact and a polite smile are sufficient. If you're in the mood to start a conversation, you will. If not, it shouldn't matter to them. Sorry you have to deal with that on your daily commute!! Good luck and listen to my old friends at Fraggle Rock: "Dance your cares away. Worry's for another day. Let the music play." :cool1:

Disney LOVE Travel said:
I think that's ridiculous. You don't owe those people anything. I think eye contact and a polite smile are sufficient. If you're in the mood to start a conversation, you will. If not, it shouldn't matter to them. Sorry you have to deal with that on your daily commute!! Good luck and listen to my old friends at Fraggle Rock: "Dance your cares away. Worry's for another day. Let the music play." :cool1:

I used to love that show and good point and I have nothing to gain from them so I need to stop caring what they think

when i have to take the bus/subway i have my headphones on and sing jiggle around a little. i figure i will be the weirdo so the weirdos leave me alone!

pookybean said:
when i have to take the bus/subway i have my headphones on and sing jiggle around a little. i figure i will be the weirdo so the weirdos leave me alone!

LMAO! That's awesome. So funny. Lol!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter