I made a duct tape FE

I thought I had posted after our cruise, but I guess I didn't....The duct tape FE held up AWESOME! There were days where all three pockets were bulging, but the tape didn't pull away or sag. I didn't even get around to reinforcing the sides or opening up the pockets more. I will be using it again for our next cruise next Nov!

I thought I had posted after our cruise, but I guess I didn't....The duct tape FE held up AWESOME! There were days where all three pockets were bulging, but the tape didn't pull away or sag. I didn't even get around to reinforcing the sides or opening up the pockets more. I will be using it again for our next cruise next Nov!

SUPER!!:cool1: I'm going to do something with duct tape, too ... hope to work on it when I'm on vacation in February. Thanks for the inspiration!

I absolutely love this FE. July 22, 2012 will be our first family cruise and our first FE partcipation. I have been racking my brain trying to figure out what to make. I do sew and have 2 very nice machines that I could use. I also am a very advid scrapbooker and own 4 cricut machines (don't even ask). So completing a FE would not be the problem, it would just be a matter of what to actually make.

However, my DS uses duck tape to creative everything imaginable. In fact, for Christmas he received 15 rolls to keep him busy on our 20 hour car trip to the port, lol. But thanks to this great idea he now has a new project!

Here is my thought regarding the FE pockets. My son has used baggies, zip style, to create everything from tiny coin purses to backpacks. He has used every size from 2" X 3" jewelry size to 2 gallon size bags. My daughter has carried a duct tape bag to school everyday for over a year and it is still holding. So perhaps quart size bags would be a great option for FE pockets. He covers the bags just as has been stated, by overlapping strips of duct tape.

I will post our FE when when he has completed it. :rotfl:

Thanks for posting such a great idea.

I'm going to have show my DD(10) this thread. She and her friends are big into Duct tape crafts. For Christmas, I gave her a Duct tape craft book and variety of rolls of duct tape. Her favorite gift. She has already made a couple of wallets and a pair of flip flops... all from duct tape! :laughing:

I'm going to have show my DD(10) this thread. She and her friends are big into Duct tape crafts. For Christmas, I gave her a Duct tape craft book and variety of rolls of duct tape. Her favorite gift. She has already made a couple of wallets and a pair of flip flops... all from duct tape! :laughing:

My dd11 does too. I need to get her that book.

And I'm going to show her that FE this week and we might be doing one of those. She would be SOOOO excited I think (even though I do love our other FE).

I am not a crafty person so don't worry about me copying your idea. But if I were, beware...all of those I cruise with would have one. Yours is the most creative, awesome FE I've seen. GREAT job! WOW! You really came up with something new and original. You should give a workshop on your cruise.

Jackie

That is great.

Duct Tape a hammer and Vice grips can fix anything.

WOW thanks again! I certainly wouldn't consider anyone "stealing" my idea. I hope I've helped someone who is like me and can't sew, didn't want to buy one, and need an alternative. To have inspired those who can & do sew or already have one, is a huge bonus and makes me feel great :)

I would love to see some others people have made!

Love it!!! Bet it didn't take anywhere near the time that our sewn one took, either. Very smart!!

Great idea. I am going to have my 9 year old graddaughters to make for our upcoming trip.

Thanks everybody! I got the idea when someone on my cruise meet board was joking around saying that she was going to have to hold hers together using duct tape b/c the glue wasn't sticking for some reason.

Please don't steal it! It'd be pretty easy to steal even with a zip tie on it. ;)

As for directions:

I measured out and cut up a brown paper grocery bag 24" x 8" (with the duct tape edging it's a little over, now 8 1/4" across, hope it fits!)
Covered it from top to bottom with white strips of DT overlapping slightly
The pockets are 5 1/2"(L) x 6"(W). I made them by overlapping white strips, back to back. However, now that I think about it, you could also use a paper bag and just cover it the same way. I then used the zebra tape over top of the white. I like the pattern since it doesn't show the lines of the strips of tape. Then put on the decals.
To attach the pockets simply rip strips of white DT and attach the right, left, and bottom sides of the pocket. I overlapped the zebra by 1/4 inch. I didn't attach it flat, but tried to puff it out a bit to make more of a pocket that could hold bulkier items so I attached the left side, then moved the right side in slightly and attached, then the bottom.
Then I edged it with the red DT.
To make the "string" I ripped off a really long strip of red, folded it over length wise several times and attached to the back, again using more DT.

There are several little imperfections. If I made it again, I would measure it out to make sure the pockets are evenly spaced, I just eyeballed these. And I would leave the strips I used to attach the pockets full width, these I cut in half.

How did you get the Mickey's heads done?

Next thing you know we will see a "show us your duct tape FE" thread. :rotfl2: Seriously, I think it turned out great and wouldn't mind seeing other peoples FE's.

Next thing you know we will see a "show us your duct tape FE" thread. :rotfl2: Seriously, I think it turned out great and wouldn't mind seeing other peoples FE's.

I showed my daughter the picture after school today and she says we are making one...so eventually I'll have a picture to add.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter