"I"m Only Going Because My Teacher Told Me To" Nov. 2016 PTR * update 12/2 TRIP REPORT STARTED! *

Now our dates overlap by a few days :cheer2: Maybe we can somehow figure out how to meet up quickly somewhere, just to say hi and snap a quick picture to prove we had a DiSmeet
Ahh that sounds fun!! We need to do a ride or something fun like this slush from Epcot you keep talking about! And we will have to take a picture or it didn't happen!

There really wasn't any humidity in November last year, and none when we were there in 2012, either. The days it got into the low 80's it was hot in the sun but nice everywhere else, and it would only be hot from say, 11-ish to maybe 4.
I can handle the 80's+ without the humidity. I might actually can have a decent hair day. Ha. When it comes close to time I will be messaging you with packing tips! I have a feeling I will be packing more than tanks/shorts. Luckily we drive so I have a little more wiggle room with my luggage.

Ahh that sounds fun!! We need to do a ride or something fun like this slush from Epcot you keep talking about! And we will have to take a picture or it didn't happen!
I love both these ideas!
When it comes close to time I will be messaging you with packing tips!
:thumbsup2
I can handle the 80's+ without the humidity. I might actually can have a decent hair day
Of all the different months we've gone, our Nov. trip last year was the FIRST one where I actually had GOOD hair days ::yes::

FOOD, GLORIOUS FOOD!

I am very anxious to get more of a plan in place! Although I'm not a HUGE spreadsheet type planner (but kudos to you out there who are ;)) I always have my ADR's set waaaaay ahead of time as far as what day I want to get them and I usually have a back up plan. I also figure out my park days and what FP's I'll get since the age of FP+, and then I decide what our first attraction of the day will be. After that, we wing it. Except for Thanksgiving week. That week needs just a tad more planning, as I learned last year.

As far as eating I do actually know-for the most part-where we want to eat, just not when. And I believe I'm going to have to shave a few places off my list unless there's a freak snowstorm that gets us stranded in Florida a few days longer. Ah, a girl can always dream.......:cloud9:

Here 's my list of where we'd like to eat this time as far as TS restaurants and a little of the "why" to go with it. We always do at least one TS per day, and occasionally 2!

-Cape May Café for dinner (new): if you happened to have read my TR from last November, you know that Ricky LOVES mussels and had them/rated them at 5 restaurants on that trip. He'd like to go back to one or two of those places and also try some new places that serve mussels, and CMC has them on the buffet certain nights. Plus, we'll be at the BC for 4 nights so it's convenient :thumbsup2
-Restaurant Marrakesh: we've eaten here twice, once with the kids and once on an adults-only trip. We all enjoy it; Chris likes watching the belly dancer at dinner and last year Ricky deemed their mussels the "best" of the 5 restaurants he tried, knocking previous 1st place holder BOG out. On every trip I let the kids each pick one place to eat and this is Ricky's choice. Here's a picture of said delicious mussels:

I don't eat seafood but he was in heaven! I was in heaven after having their sangria.......

-Tokyo Dining: I raved about this in my Jan. TR! Steve and I ate here for the first time then. We were totally surprised how good the food was, and the view of Illuminations from their balcony is beautiful. Excited to take the kids here:

-Mama Melrose: I know, it doesn't always get great reviews. We haven't been here in a few years and want to try it again mainly because we don't particularly like any QS options in HS and, while we have on occasion left HS to eat elsewhere, we'd like to eat something we actually like in the park. We're huge fans of Italian food so what the hell, we'll give it another try!
-Tusker House: mainly to have a TS meal in AK whatever day we do the evening entertainment, whether it be RoL or the Jungle Book show ($$ on JB show or nothing). I would like to try Tiffins but, call me close-minded and non-adventurous, between myself and the boys I don't think we'll all be happy given what I've seen of the menu. We haven't done TH since 2012 but we've always enjoyed it!
-the Wave (new): this one is kind of up in the air. We had it booked for Thanksgiving last year but because of that STUPID STOMACH BUG I got, we couldn't go. So my issue is, do we try going again? The Thanksgiving menu looked OH so delicious!! Or do I just go with something different?
-Liberty Tree Tavern: we did lunch here a couple years ago and while it wasn't outstanding, we enjoyed it. What I really would like to have again is the Ooey Gooey Toffee Cake!
-Citricos: Steve and I ate here for the first time in January also and I'm not sure, but it might be my favorite signature we've eaten at to date. Chris loves steak and my filet here was perfect and I'm dying to have their salad again, believe it or not!

However, last Nov. we ate at another signature and Chris wants to go back there, so I'm torn.
-Narcoossee's: Torn between Citricos and here! Unless we do both.....another place Ricky enjoyed the mussels.
-Via Napoli: want to return here because the dreaded stomach bug ruined my dinner here last Nov,too :mad:
-Garden Grill: for breakfast, this is Chris's pick. We did breakfast there last Nov. right after they began serving it and it was delicious! Our ADR was at 10:15 and they stop serving breakfast at 10:30. As a result, farmer Mickey and Pluto both missed our table :(. We were given a "golden" FP for Character Spot as compensation but I was a little disappointed to not get a picture with Mickey in his cool overalls. This time, mainly because of the importance of RD, I'd try for a PPO ADR.
-'Ohana: for dinner. We've done this twice but not for a couple years. The guys enjoy it and Chris asked the other day if we can go there again. It's not my favorite but I like to make everyone happy so I'm considering it!
-Captain's Grille (new): for something! I think all the menus look good and I've wanted to try it every time we've been at BWV. Since we'll actually be at the BC this time, I think we should eat there at least once. Plus I like to do a couple new to us places each trip and I mostly have repeat places for Steve and I.
-BOG: DINNER! Because we've done it just about every trip since it opened, and the couple times we haven't it felt like something was missing! Also, mussels for Ricky. I'd have to go back to my TR but I believe BOG's mussels fell to #2 or 3.
Here's a picture of Chris on our inaugural BOG visit in Nov. of 2012 when they first opened, it's a picture of the picture in my Snapfish photobook so excuse the grainy-ness:

This is one of my favorites :rotfl2:I have a picture from tons of Disney restaurants with him making this same face. It captures his personality to a T.
I make him sound like such a miserable kid; he really isn't (just sarcastic, stubborn and opinionated, great combo) and to prove he loves BOG as much as we do (in fact, more than Steve and Ricky):

He's SMILING!!!!

So you see I have 14 "want-to's" for 8 possible days, which would mean 2 TS's just about every day. That's a tad more than normal for us........also, that list only has one new place with mussels for Ricky. Decisions, decisions, but what fun decisions to make!

Wow, I want to go on your trip with you! All your ADR plans sound wonderful and I am a bit jealous as we have never scored a BOG Dinner. Now, that we found out that we are going in the spring I will definitely try for that one. I am interested in your take between Narcoossees and Citricos. We are going to do an adult dinner with some other band parents and trying to figure out where to go and these two came up. I with Ricky mussels would be good!

Very envious of your adventurous eating boys. My 4.5 yr old eats nothing. My 2 yr old eats (more than the 4.5 yr old) but he doesn't have too much of a developed palet yet. Plus my parents are not adventurous at all! Kmfx that this all changes down the road!

Regardless of my situation, your wish list looks good! Looking forward to seeing what you decide on!

I'm interested in seeing which ones you end up with as well! The only one from your list that we have done is Be Our Guest. We've done 'Ohana, but only for breakfast. We will have hit a few more after our trip in June, but most of these will still be completely new. I love that the food seems to be an important part of the trip for y'all, including your boys!

Great Illuminations pic, BTW.

That's great news you are going back. Out of your possible ADRS I have been to Cape May Cafe, Mama Melrose with Fantasmic dining, Tusker House, The Wave, Narcoossee's, Ohana's and BOG dinner. Keep reading my trip report and I will get to Mama Melrose and Tusker House. Without giving too much away I thought they were really good options. The one I was really disappointed in was The Wave and I thought going in I was going to really like it. It had zero atmosphere and pretty unforgettable food. I wasn't that impressed by Cape May either but it was a few years ago and on our first night after a long travel day. I just remember the buffet seemed to be quite a random selection of food.

There are so many options - looking forward to hearing your final choices.

Wow, I want to go on your trip with you! All your ADR plans sound wonderful and I am a bit jealous as we have never scored a BOG Dinner. Now, that we found out that we are going in the spring I will definitely try for that one. I am interested in your take between Narcoossees and Citricos. We are going to do an adult dinner with some other band parents and trying to figure out where to go and these two came up. I with Ricky mussels would be good!
Oh definitely try for BOG for spring! If you don't mind replacing something for next month, you could even keep searching for BOG for that trip. When Steve and I went in March of 2015 we found an 8:45 dinner when looking on the app at 4:45. Granted it was only 2 of us, but I've heard other people having luck like that, too :thumbsup2
I find on here that most people who compare Narcoossee's and Citricos prefer the food at Narcoossee's. We honestly enjoyed the food both places but I thought the atmosphere at Citricos (where we went w/o the boys) was more romantic/quaint. I also thought it felt a bit more upscale but I can't put my finger on why?? Maybe because it was actually in the GF as opposed to unattached like Narcoossee's, or maybe because our waiter kept wiping away the crumbs from our tablecloth with one of those little crumb combs lol. Narcoossee's was definitely louder but not LOUD. There were kids at both but a few more at Narcoossee's, I assume since you can watch the fireworks from there (which si a nice perk). This may sound weird but, if you're close friends with the people you're going with maybe pick Citricos. If you only know them casually go with Narcoossee's.

Very envious of your adventurous eating boys. My 4.5 yr old eats nothing. My 2 yr old eats (more than the 4.5 yr old) but he doesn't have too much of a developed palet yet. Plus my parents are not adventurous at all! Kmfx that this all changes down the road!

Regardless of my situation, your wish list looks good! Looking forward to seeing what you decide on!
I bet you they'll become more adventurous! Chris always has been but Ricky was so annoyingly picky until he was like 11 :sad2: I got tired of not going to certain restaurants when we were on vacation whether in Disney or elsewhere because he wouldn't eat anything on the menu but his younger brother would. Really it's just these last couple years that he's expanded his palette and I had to push him a lot!
Also I've found that some restaurants surprised me with their kids menu choices. If I remember correctly, Marrakesh actually has some "normal" stuff on theirs and before we went I just assumed they wouldn't, so, and I'm sure you did, it's always worth it to check ALL menu's ::yes::

I'm interested in seeing which ones you end up with as well! The only one from your list that we have done is Be Our Guest. We've done 'Ohana, but only for breakfast. We will have hit a few more after our trip in June, but most of these will still be completely new. I love that the food seems to be an important part of the trip for y'all, including your boys!

Great Illuminations pic, BTW.
Trying new restaurants on each trip is something we all look forward to! And yes, the food IS a big part of the trips for us.......we all like to eat :rolleyes1 and as Ricky gets older and loses interest in a few of the attractions, it's nice that picking the restaurants is an added thing for him to enjoy.

Keep reading my trip report and I will get to Mama Melrose and Tusker House. Without giving too much away I thought they were really good options
I'm still reading & looking forward to those reviews!

The one I was really disappointed in was The Wave and I thought going in I was going to really like it. It had zero atmosphere and pretty unforgettable food. I wasn't that impressed by Cape May either but it was a few years ago and on our first night after a long travel day. I just remember the buffet seemed to be quite a random selection of food.
Hmm, I have heard the Wave restaurant itself is not Disney-ish at all, but I hear decent things about the food. Although as I always say, one of the great things about Disney is that there are enough different things/restaurants/rides/shows/etc. that everyone can have likes and dislikes :) I will tell you though that after a discussion with Steve today in the car on the way to Ricky's basketball tournament, the Wave may be out of the running anyway.......and Cape May is basically just for Ricky-mussels. I don't eat seafood at all so I assume I'll end up with like salad and dessert lol! I'll be "taking one for the team" with that reservation, that's for sure!

Except for Thanksgiving week. That week needs just a tad more planning, as I learned last year.
This makes me nervous since some of our days are part of Thanksgiving week. I am hoping good planning works.

-Mama Melrose: I know, it doesn't always get great reviews. We haven't been here in a few years and want to try it again mainly because we don't particularly like any QS options in HS and, while we have on occasion left HS to eat elsewhere, we'd like to eat something we actually like in the park. We're huge fans of Italian food so what the hell, we'll give it another try!
I may be in the minority but I really liked Mama Melrose. Service was a little slow but food was great. Plus we had the Fantasmic package so it was a win win.

-Garden Grill: for breakfast, this is Chris's pick
I've been wanting to try this!

They all sound yummy! ADR day will be here before you know it!

This makes me nervous since some of our days are part of Thanksgiving week. I am hoping good planning works.
Don't worry, you'll be ok! The beginning part of the week, at least last year, wasn't bad at all. That Sat. we did AK which was great and then Epcot at night which also was fine. No additional FP's for anything good but crowd-wise no problems. Sunday we did Epcot until about 12:30 and then MK. Again, crowds weren't crazy - it wasn't dead by any means but not uncomfortably crowded at all. By Monday at HS we felt it a bit by the afternoon but it wasn't unbearable; by that day we decided RD for the rest of the week was pretty necessary (not that we did it lol) and also realized getting more decent (to us) FP's after our 3 wasn't going to happen. But you should be fine for the days you're there! I don't know if you'll be up and out early, but if you can on your last couple days I would; and try to save FP's for after 12, at least for Monday :)

I may be in the minority but I really liked Mama Melrose.
We loved it last time we ate there! Just so many negative reviews the last couple years......but we're excited to go again!
I've been wanting to try this!
I know you don't have GG breakfast set for your Nov. trip but you should try to get there when you go again early next year!

This may sound weird but, if you're close friends with the people you're going with maybe pick Citricos. If you only know them casually go with Narcoossee's.

Thanks for the summary. From what you said they both sound good. I have a memory from a trip with my mom's entire family (they all live in Florida, moved in 1970) that we ate at Narcoossee's because it was unattached. I think that was in High School and that was a loooong time ago. Also, thanks for the tip about checking back about when we go. We change our minds when we are there all the time. The only thing is you really need to change your mind a day in advance with the dining cancellation policy.

Don't worry, you'll be ok! The beginning part of the week, at least last year, wasn't bad at all. That Sat. we did AK which was great and then Epcot at night which also was fine. No additional FP's for anything good but crowd-wise no problems. Sunday we did Epcot until about 12:30 and then MK. Again, crowds weren't crazy - it wasn't dead by any means but not uncomfortably crowded at all. By Monday at HS we felt it a bit by the afternoon but it wasn't unbearable; by that day we decided RD for the rest of the week was pretty necessary (not that we did it lol) and also realized getting more decent (to us) FP's after our 3 wasn't going to happen. But you should be fine for the days you're there! I don't know if you'll be up and out early, but if you can on your last couple days I would; and try to save FP's for after 12, at least for Monday :)
That is good to know. I'm glad its manageable. Luckily it will be towards the end of our trip and we can get pretty decent FP. We are RD people. I feel like sooooo much can get done before crowds get there. (That being said I HATE mornings and work nightshift, but I will get up for Disney:tigger:)
If all else fails it won't hurt my feelings to take a step back and enjoy the atmosphere. Knowing we are going back so soon I don't feel like I have to cram everything in this trip like last time.

Just a question for you...What do you think about this MK after hours thing? Do you think it will last or do you think they will extend the park hours that week for crowds or do they really close that early as some places have them listed?

Just a question for you...What do you think about this MK after hours thing? Do you think it will last or do you think they will extend the park hours that week for crowds or do they really close that early as some places have them listed?
I don't know what to think about the after hours event. It appears it's not going quite as well as Disney wanted it to, as far as selling well. On the other hand many people are happy with the low # of attendees. Right now I'm leaning toward them NOT extending it.......whether they extend it or not I'm positive they'll extend Nov. park hours though. Last year when the Nov. crowd calendar first came out it had NO Wishes/MSEP/Fantasmic shows scheduled and early closings on many nights, including the week of Thanksgiving. Eventually all the shows were added and hours were extended, both early and late, around Veterans Day, the race, and Thanksgiving week. I know it wasn't until after I made my ADR's in late May and the hours changed right up until like 3 weeks before our trip so it kind of sucks for planning, but HS stayed open until 10 a few nights, Epcot pretty much stayed the same except for EMH, MK didn't close before 11 that whole week. Most parks beginning the Sat. before Thanksgiving opened at 8 with the exception of Epcot and 1 or 2 other exceptions here and there.
If they do extend the after hours thing I would hope that, on nights MK doesn't have EMH, they'd still keep it open until 11 or 12 but I guess we just have to add that to the huge list of unknowns right now :sad2:

I don't know what to think about the after hours event. It appears it's not going quite as well as Disney wanted it to, as far as selling well. On the other hand many people are happy with the low # of attendees. Right now I'm leaning toward them NOT extending it.......whether they extend it or not I'm positive they'll extend Nov. park hours though. Last year when the Nov. crowd calendar first came out it had NO Wishes/MSEP/Fantasmic shows scheduled and early closings on many nights, including the week of Thanksgiving. Eventually all the shows were added and hours were extended, both early and late, around Veterans Day, the race, and Thanksgiving week. I know it wasn't until after I made my ADR's in late May and the hours changed right up until like 3 weeks before our trip so it kind of sucks for planning, but HS stayed open until 10 a few nights, Epcot pretty much stayed the same except for EMH, MK didn't close before 11 that whole week. Most parks beginning the Sat. before Thanksgiving opened at 8 with the exception of Epcot and 1 or 2 other exceptions here and there.
If they do extend the after hours thing I would hope that, on nights MK doesn't have EMH, they'd still keep it open until 11 or 12 but I guess we just have to add that to the huge list of unknowns right now :sad2:

That makes me feel better knowing they will probably extend. I was worried about the park hours not being open too late. I know the week we're going it projected "low crowds" for the first few days which I am sure it will be nuts d/t free dining. We really enjoyed our time in HS last year and I was pretty disappointed to see it was only open until 7 most nights. Our only major unknown is Animal Kingdom once ROL is up and running. Other than that we like a pretty early dinner so extended hours won't affect us much. :goodvibes

To Etsy or Not to Etsy?

Last year on our Nov. trip, Christopher noticed all the families with matching shirts. You know, the ones that say things like, "The Smith Family Does Disney 2015" or the ones where each member has a Minnie/Mickey head on their shirt with their name embroidered underneath? Well, by day 2 he said he wanted us to get them for our next trip. Whoo-hoo, are you serious??? I was ready to have them made when we got home :rotfl2:When the boys were little I'd put them in matching shirts occasionally from the Disney store or Target, and a few times I managed to get Steve and Ricky matching shirts. I've asked both boys before if they wanted "family" shirts and showed them pictures but it was always a no.......I even put a note in my phone that Chris asked for these shirts so he'd remember now!!!
Anyway I know I have time but I've started looking on Etsy. There are so many people/sites that make custom shirts! Where do I even begin?? I've read reviews for some but I'm looking for first-hand reviews.

HAVE ANY OF YOU GUYS ORDERED CUSTOM SHIRTS FROM ANY ETSY SELLERS?
LET ME KNOW!

In other clothing-related news, I've bought a few things for our trip since I only have 6 months to go ;). I found a cool Lion King shirt in Target and picked one up for Steve and one for Ricky. Then a few days later I found a LK tank top in Penney's for me. Have to grab these when you see them!
Now I need a Hakuna Matata shirt for Chris. Etsy lol??

Then after seeing these on @ArielSRL's PTR, I ordered 2 adorable skorts for myself from Academy (thanks, Renee!)

I'm ordering a couple more of these in other colors too, they're so comfortable :thumbsup2 and they're not just for Florida, I'll wear them over the summer, so TOTALLY justifies buying them now! Last Nov. every day was warm enough for shorts so hopefully it'll be the same this year. A few days were warm enough for tanks, too so my LK one will definitely be packed.

LET ME KNOW!

I like the matching shirt idea but my DH would never wear one. I haven't ordered anything from Etsy, but there seems to be lots of good things. The only thing that I have done is made a Fish Extender for a Disney Cruise. However, I love the applique embroidery Mickey and Princess stuff. In fact, last year for a birthday that ends in "0" I gifted myself an embroidery machine (don't tell anybody I quilt :rotfl2:). I am possibly thinking that for the band trip I might do something fun with those Mickey Ears or Princess appliques.:scratchin

I am sure you will find something fun!!

I'm so glad you like the skorts!

I have only bought a Disney countdown from Etsy (and some amber teething necklaces but I don't think that helps you...lol). I don't know if the countdown people do shirts but they are at www.etsy.com/shop/The03Bs ...

Last edited:
I can so relate to the call of Etsy! I haven't ordered anything, but have bookmarked way more things than I care to admit. I've even added things to the cart, then gotten cold feet and not completed the purchase. Some of the stuff is hard for me to justify getting, but it's also so cute!

There are so many people/sites that make custom shirts! Where do I even begin?? I've read reviews for some but I'm looking for first-hand reviews.
LET ME KNOW!
I was just thinking about doing a post on all of the things I am collecting for my trip. I love the Lion King Shirts! Cute family theme! I ended up making all of our T-shirts from last year. I also have made Miranda and Chelsy some too but that was before I decided to go. I have a silhouette cameo and used heat transfer vinyl. It is pretty easy once you get the hang of it. But as far as Etsy goes, it is soooooo overwhelming to look at. I did however purchase some custom Vera Bradley ears that are supposed be delivered today!

I ordered 2 adorable skorts for myself from Academy
Super Cute! I actually bought a skort this past weekend at Belk Charity sale for Disney. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter