I Knew There Was A Reason Why I've Always Hated My Birthday - COMPLETE

You know we always drive to WDW too. It's that one thing me and you have in common!

I love arrival days! Seeing those WDW gates is like hearing the angels sing. :laughing:

That Epcot pic in your hotel room looks neat in black and white!

Stacey!!!! I miss her! Seriously, it's all we watch on tv when we're in the room.

Aww what sweet face puppy.I know how it just when you think you've got it under control something happens and sends you reeling. I was doing good until the vet sent me a card with my Huckleberry's paw prints inside.

Just found your TR, I enjoyed catching up on it so far.

Drives to Disney are definetely filled with trees on hills and more trees on hills:laughing:

My family used to always hit traffic on I4 right after Orlando, that's why we started taking 417 around Orlando. Yeah, it's alittle bit longer and a toll road but it takes you around the traffic.

Can't wait to read more! Your rooms look really nice.
Thanks for joining in!

This was only our second experience with real traffic in Orlando. A few years ago there was a huge accident that had us sitting on I4 for, like, 45 minutes. I guess we've just gotten really lucky most of the time.
You know we always drive to WDW too. It's that one thing me and you have in common!

I love arrival days! Seeing those WDW gates is like hearing the angels sing. :laughing:

That Epcot pic in your hotel room looks neat in black and white!

Stacey!!!! I miss her! Seriously, it's all we watch on tv when we're in the room.
HIGH-FIVE, FELLOW DISNEY ROAD TRIPPER! :thumbsup2

Yeah, I thought it was a really creative way of adding a dash of Disney to the room. Usually they just hang up some weird painting of flowers, a river, or the countryside, so I was glad to see something Disney in a non-Disney hotel. It definitely helped ease some of the 'WHY DO WE HAVE TO STAY OFFSITE TONIGHT WHEN WDW IS RIGHT THERE?' feelings I was experiencing.

SAME. Well, I flip to ESPN every night to check the Indians' score, but, other than that, it's Stacey all the time.
:hug::hug: Riley = adorable!!! :hug::hug:
He was quite adorable, wasn't he? :) I sure do miss that (not so) little furball.

Aww what sweet face puppy.I know how it just when you think you've got it under control something happens and sends you reeling. I was doing good until the vet sent me a card with my Huckleberry's paw prints inside.
Aw, Huckleberry is an absolutely adorable name! :goodvibes

Our vet sent us a card too. Thankfully it didn't include Riley's paw prints or I would have cried even harder than I already was. But that is a really sweet thing for your vet to do. I'm sure the card makes for a nice little keepsake.

Aw, Huckleberry is an absolutely adorable name! :goodvibes

Our vet sent us a card too. Thankfully it didn't include Riley's paw prints or I would have cried even harder than I already was. But that is a really sweet thing for your vet to do. I'm sure the card makes for a nice little keepsake.

He came with the name.We rescued him from a local shelter.The name fit him.
It is a nice keepsake but wow did I bawl when I opened it.

Really good start to your trip report! I will be superexcited for updates. Thank you for taking the time to share your trip.

I'm in for this one !! I loved your last TR. You make me laugh and who doesn't love to laugh ?? So sorry about your dog. It is hard to lose a pet. They become a part of the family. Not knowing the details, I feel bad for your Aunt Karen, too. How horrible for her to be on watch when he passed away. Anyway, looking forward to reading more of your witty commentary and seeing all of your wonderful photos. Oh, and the dining reviews !!

039.jpg

Awww he's adorable. I'm so sorry. But treasure the years you had, because he looks like he would want everyone to be happy. :goodvibes

OMG Boy Meets World sleepovers? And I thought you guys couldn't get any more awesome...

I couldn't help but notice this...and yes we are in LOVE with that show. It's so great. I just can't get enough of the Feeny call. It's a beautiful thing, really. And I love Cory and Topanga. Like they are just SO CUTE! I love at their wedding when Cory goes: "Get him To-PANGAAAAA!!!" I dunno why but I say that literally ALL the time. I just think it's the funniest thing. :lmao:

Thanks Kristen!

Unicycles scare me too. I have absolutely no idea how people don't just fall off them.

Clearly my parents and Jess' mom would get along quite well. The Broadway station is pretty much all they listen to. I enjoy it too, but not for 17 straight hours. LOL. I need a little variety.

It's weird. When I'm actually at Disney, I get so excited and I start eating everything in sight. But when we're driving down, I'm way too excited to eat.

You absolutely must start playing the Cow-Spotting Game with your family. It is a thriller. Also, if everyone else isn't really paying that much attention and the car is kinda quiet, you can scare the bejeezus out of them by SCREAMING that you saw a cow. That's what I did and it made victory even sweeter.

Exactly! Florida grass is just so big that I have to be suspicious of it. Why is it so large and waxy? What is it trying to hide? And now I'm reminded of Mean Girls. "That's why her hair is so big, it's full of secrets."

I do both. I am just a little too obsessed with food for my own good. :p

Oh I will yell that I see a cow when my mom and sister are sound asleep. Which is bound to happen very quickly once we start the drive down actually. Oh yay I am really looking forward to this. :thumbsup2

HAHAHA Mean Girls. I need to watch that movie sometime soon, I haven't seen it in a whilee. But I love it to death. :laughing: But really I have NO idea why it's so big! It's really weird, it's always blown my mind. Is it like a southern thing? All the calling southerners fat and us scrawny!? If so, they've got it alllll wrong. :rotfl:

Seeing Random Unicycle Guy was easily one of my most bizarre Disney experiences. I genuinely could not believe what I was seeing.

See, I think I might have actually enjoyed the chocolate/strawberry mixture if that is what I had ordered. I mean, I love chocolate-covered strawberries so it's kinda the same thing. But because I was not prepared for it, I was disgusted. That probably makes no sense, but I have weird food logic. :laughing:

I was totally kidding about Aaron Carter being better than Michael Jackson. MJ's the best. I've been a dancer my whole life and his moves (and music) are just so inspiring. More often than not, I watch his music videos and performances with my jaw on the ground. That said, I will always have an attachment to late 90s/early 00s pop music. It was cheesy as all get out, but I have so many fond memories. Also, *NSYNC is one of the greatest musical groups of all time and no one will ever be able to convince me otherwise. :upsidedow

I'd be just slowly following him trying to take a picture, if that happened, that's how I role. LOL

LOL, yeah, well I think I understand. When you are expecting something else, it just isn't as appetizing, because you have cravings for another thing, not what's in front of you. Totally get it.

*DEEP BREATHE* Thank goodness! MJ is amazing! I mean, you can't get any more talented than that. It's just with that much talent it gets to your head and things turned for the worse and... well, you know, but I can see the attachment to the 90s early 00s. That was sorta around my time. Like I was born in the late 90s, but I was kinda pulled into all that 90s stuff, in the early 00s. Pokemon, Boy Bands, Old Disney Channel Shows, etc. I was there for all of it. I was of a many younger boys with a crush on Britney Spears hahaha Yeah, totally admitting it now. LOL

HIGH-FIVE, FELLOW DISNEY ROAD TRIPPER! :thumbsup2

Yeah, I thought it was a really creative way of adding a dash of Disney to the room. Usually they just hang up some weird painting of flowers, a river, or the countryside, so I was glad to see something Disney in a non-Disney hotel. It definitely helped ease some of the 'WHY DO WE HAVE TO STAY OFFSITE TONIGHT WHEN WDW IS RIGHT THERE?' feelings I was experiencing.

SAME. Well, I flip to ESPN every night to check the Indians' score, but, other than that, it's Stacey all the time.

:thumbsup2 I think that's the closest to a high-five smiley there is. :laughing:

He came with the name.We rescued him from a local shelter.The name fit him.
It is a nice keepsake but wow did I bawl when I opened it.
You are awesome for rescuing him! :thumbsup2 Whenever I next decide to get a dog, I think I'd really like to get a rescue. I feel so bad for all of the poor abandoned little pups.
Really good start to your trip report! I will be superexcited for updates. Thank you for taking the time to share your trip.
Thanks! :goodvibes
I'm in for this one !! I loved your last TR. You make me laugh and who doesn't love to laugh ?? So sorry about your dog. It is hard to lose a pet. They become a part of the family. Not knowing the details, I feel bad for your Aunt Karen, too. How horrible for her to be on watch when he passed away. Anyway, looking forward to reading more of your witty commentary and seeing all of your wonderful photos. Oh, and the dining reviews !!
Thank you! :)

I feel awful for my Aunt Karen (and my grandmother and cousins) for having that happen while we were away. They're all still a bit shaken up. Everyone loved Riley, so his death was just as hard for them as it was for us.
I do both. I am just a little too obsessed with food for my own good. :p

Oh I will yell that I see a cow when my mom and sister are sound asleep. Which is bound to happen very quickly once we start the drive down actually. Oh yay I am really looking forward to this. :thumbsup2

HAHAHA Mean Girls. I need to watch that movie sometime soon, I haven't seen it in a whilee. But I love it to death. :laughing: But really I have NO idea why it's so big! It's really weird, it's always blown my mind. Is it like a southern thing? All the calling southerners fat and us scrawny!? If so, they've got it alllll wrong. :rotfl:
Yeah, I don't really know why it's so big. Maybe it has something to do with the weather? Like, because it's so warm and sunny it needs to be bigger for more photosynthesis or something? :rotfl: I took AP Bio in high school, but photosynthesis is pretty much the only thing I remember.
I'd be just slowly following him trying to take a picture, if that happened, that's how I role. LOL

LOL, yeah, well I think I understand. When you are expecting something else, it just isn't as appetizing, because you have cravings for another thing, not what's in front of you. Totally get it.

*DEEP BREATHE* Thank goodness! MJ is amazing! I mean, you can't get any more talented than that. It's just with that much talent it gets to your head and things turned for the worse and... well, you know, but I can see the attachment to the 90s early 00s. That was sorta around my time. Like I was born in the late 90s, but I was kinda pulled into all that 90s stuff, in the early 00s. Pokemon, Boy Bands, Old Disney Channel Shows, etc. I was there for all of it. I was of a many younger boys with a crush on Britney Spears hahaha Yeah, totally admitting it now. LOL
We were actually on a bus when we saw him. If we had been walking, I definitely would've attempted to take a pic once I snapped out of my shock. :laughing:

:thumbsup2 I think that's the closest to a high-five smiley there is. :laughing:
Why isn't there a high-five smiley? It would sure come in handy. If you look at it closely, the Thumbs Up Guy kinda looks like he's fistbumping you (with his thumb in the air) so I guess it works. :rotfl:

Yay, so excited about a new TR from you! Obviously, we have already discussed your trip and all that happened pretty extensively, but I'm still so sad for you because of Riley and of course I am here for you always! And I can't wait to hear about all the little details of your adventures, obv. I also can't wait for the Vampire Diaries. Why is September in September, and not now? Ugh, time.

Ok onto your first update!

Hey, don't forget about Highway To... can you say H E double hockey sticks on the DIS?

There should absolutely be more songs about riding dolphins. We should re-do the song and call it Highway To Dolphin Riding. We have to shout REMIIIIIIIX at the beginning of it though and also be like "Kaaaaaaaaaaaaaaara!" "Liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiaaaaaaaaa!" too. What I'm saying is, Lil Jon is going to be on this remix with us. I've already texted him about it so we'll see what happens.

We haven't driven to WDW in 7 years because I am too impatient but I have been craving a road trip lately. I love road tripping to Boston (It's one of my favorite cities and is only 4 hours north of here), but it's not the same because THERE ARE NO WAFFLE HOUSES. So I have to road trip southbound or I will not be satisfied. It's just horrifying that I haven't been to a Waffle House in 7 years. I don't even know what to say about that so let's move on. Sigh.

Thank God you finally threw in a 30 Rock reference because you had gone several paragraphs without even one mention of it and I was about to stop reading!!

Don't feel bad about not hugging Riley more times. He knew you loved him. It is better that you did not know those were your last moments with him. When we had to put Pooh Bear to sleep, it took every ounce of strength I had in my entire body to leave that room because I decided not to be there when they actually did it. So my mom stayed and I had to say goodbye and walk out knowing I would never see her again and I feel like throwing up even thinking about it, it was the hardest moment of my life, really. So I hope that's some comfort to you... IDK if it even is, but I thought I'd share anyway. :hug:

Yay!!! A music reference from last decade. I think we both know our TRs are more about that and television than anything else. What does on topic even mean? FROM THE LEFT TO THE RIGHT MAKE NOIIIIIIIIIIIIISE!!!!!!! :rolleyes1

There was traffic around Universal? Why? Do people go there now? :rolleyes:

Wow I really need to frame pictures of Epcot and hang them around the house cause that looks awesome. That will be #6,798 on my to-do list of stuff I say I need to do but probably will never get around to. This is why I need to be famous so I can snap my fingers and servants will start scurrying around hanging Epcot photos on my walls!!

STACCCCCCCEEEEEEEY!! I remember that tweet. I was so excited LOL. Um... wait. Your mom is like, doing something in that photo that doesn't involve sitting in front of the TV and being captivated by Queen Stacey. Is she all right upstairs? I mean, what could possibly hold your attention more than "Super. Mountain. WHAMMY!" aka the "Wash cycle and spin cycle"??????????

Love the pic of Riley. He was sooo cute. And still is, up in Heaven running around chasing his tail or whatever it is dogs do up there. I'm almost positive my dog is hanging out with John Lennon, George Harrison, Elvis, and Michael Jackson, but I don't REALLY know for sure...

Yay, so excited about a new TR from you! Obviously, we have already discussed your trip and all that happened pretty extensively, but I'm still so sad for you because of Riley and of course I am here for you always! And I can't wait to hear about all the little details of your adventures, obv. I also can't wait for the Vampire Diaries. Why is September in September, and not now? Ugh, time.

Ok onto your first update!

Hey, don't forget about Highway To... can you say H E double hockey sticks on the DIS?

There should absolutely be more songs about riding dolphins. We should re-do the song and call it Highway To Dolphin Riding. We have to shout REMIIIIIIIX at the beginning of it though and also be like "Kaaaaaaaaaaaaaaara!" "Liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiaaaaaaaaa!" too. What I'm saying is, Lil Jon is going to be on this remix with us. I've already texted him about it so we'll see what happens.

We haven't driven to WDW in 7 years because I am too impatient but I have been craving a road trip lately. I love road tripping to Boston (It's one of my favorite cities and is only 4 hours north of here), but it's not the same because THERE ARE NO WAFFLE HOUSES. So I have to road trip southbound or I will not be satisfied. It's just horrifying that I haven't been to a Waffle House in 7 years. I don't even know what to say about that so let's move on. Sigh.

Thank God you finally threw in a 30 Rock reference because you had gone several paragraphs without even one mention of it and I was about to stop reading!!

Don't feel bad about not hugging Riley more times. He knew you loved him. It is better that you did not know those were your last moments with him. When we had to put Pooh Bear to sleep, it took every ounce of strength I had in my entire body to leave that room because I decided not to be there when they actually did it. So my mom stayed and I had to say goodbye and walk out knowing I would never see her again and I feel like throwing up even thinking about it, it was the hardest moment of my life, really. So I hope that's some comfort to you... IDK if it even is, but I thought I'd share anyway. :hug:

Yay!!! A music reference from last decade. I think we both know our TRs are more about that and television than anything else. What does on topic even mean? FROM THE LEFT TO THE RIGHT MAKE NOIIIIIIIIIIIIISE!!!!!!! :rolleyes1

There was traffic around Universal? Why? Do people go there now? :rolleyes:

Wow I really need to frame pictures of Epcot and hang them around the house cause that looks awesome. That will be #6,798 on my to-do list of stuff I say I need to do but probably will never get around to. This is why I need to be famous so I can snap my fingers and servants will start scurrying around hanging Epcot photos on my walls!!

STACCCCCCCEEEEEEEY!! I remember that tweet. I was so excited LOL. Um... wait. Your mom is like, doing something in that photo that doesn't involve sitting in front of the TV and being captivated by Queen Stacey. Is she all right upstairs? I mean, what could possibly hold your attention more than "Super. Mountain. WHAMMY!" aka the "Wash cycle and spin cycle"??????????

Love the pic of Riley. He was sooo cute. And still is, up in Heaven running around chasing his tail or whatever it is dogs do up there. I'm almost positive my dog is hanging out with John Lennon, George Harrison, Elvis, and Michael Jackson, but I don't REALLY know for sure...
I am so ready for fall TV season to get here. Summer TV has been so lackluster. It's disappointing.

OMG. Ever since 8th grade when I heard "Yeah" for the first time, it has been my life's goal to yell my name at the beginning of a song. I'm not even kidding. My friends will all vouch for me on this one. They were all like, "Kara, that would never work" and I was like "Whatever." Then, "Just Dance" came out and I was just like "SEEEEE! GAGA isn't that far from KARA...It would totally work!" and they were like, "Kara, you're insane." So, yes, tell Lil Jon that I am in. GRAMMYS, HERE WE COME.

I have family in Boston, but I've never actually been. I've always wanted to go there though. I've heard nothing but great things about that city. We have Waffle Houses in Ohio! I'm pretty sure that there are quite a few in the Columbus area. I know for sure that there's one right by a mall near-ish to campus. So, if you're ever in dire need of a Waffle House, you're more than welcome to come visit me.

That's exactly why I'm glad things happened the way they did. I don't think I could have done that. I'm so incredibly sorry that you had to. :hug:

:rotfl: Mom is not nearly as obsessed with Stacey as I am. She's seen it enough times that she knows all the lines, but if, god forbid, they took Stacey away tomorrow, Mom wouldn't miss her.

I have a feeling Riley's being super glutenous and eating giant bowls of plain white rice up in heaven right now. He was crazy about rice. Like, we couldn't order Chinese without him running around the house/table like a crazy loon. It was kinda hilarious. But, if Pooh Bear wouldn't mind introducing Riley to those guys, that would be great. :upsidedow

:hug:

You know, I kinda like looking at trees, I'd rather look at the trees than watching the road, but the road can be pretty interesting to watch too. Sometimes....

You know, I've always thought (and by always, I mean since I discovered the DIS) of driving there in early spring, when it's still snowy up here. I would love to see the transitioning of the season as I drive. I wouldn't like the drive back up though.

That bit about playing with Riley......I'm all sad just thinking back on it. :hug: I can never understand how you feel, but I'll always be here for a hug.

Yes, that song was SO appropriate for when you arrived in Florida!

Huh...I've never noticed that about the grass...but then I've only ever been twice. That offsite hotel looks very nice! Were they queen beds?

And I agree with Lia, I need some servants to put up framed photos of Epcot around my house too.

Wow...your mom not paying attention to Stacy and only ate her first Mickey rice krispy treat on your last trip....are you sure you guys are related?

It's so cute that Riley liked white rice! I've never met a dog that did. I only knew of cats that loved rice.

:hug:

You know, I kinda like looking at trees, I'd rather look at the trees than watching the road, but the road can be pretty interesting to watch too. Sometimes....

You know, I've always thought (and by always, I mean since I discovered the DIS) of driving there in early spring, when it's still snowy up here. I would love to see the transitioning of the season as I drive. I wouldn't like the drive back up though.

That bit about playing with Riley......I'm all sad just thinking back on it. :hug: I can never understand how you feel, but I'll always be here for a hug.

Yes, that song was SO appropriate for when you arrived in Florida!

Huh...I've never noticed that about the grass...but then I've only ever been twice. That offsite hotel looks very nice! Were they queen beds?

And I agree with Lia, I need some servants to put up framed photos of Epcot around my house too.

Wow...your mom not paying attention to Stacy and only ate her first Mickey rice krispy treat on your last trip....are you sure you guys are related?

It's so cute that Riley liked white rice! I've never met a dog that did. I only knew of cats that loved rice.
This probably makes me sound like a total creeper, but I always like to look and see what other people have in their cars. Then, if a car/van is full of luggage, I always try to guess where they might be going. People (and the weird stuff they carry in their cars) are a lot more entertaining to me than trees.

If the whole family goes to Disney in December (assuming we go), we're probably going to drive. Slowly leaving the snow behind would be AMAZING. You're right though that drive back up would suck. :rotfl:

Thanks, girl! :hug:

Riley LOVED rice. He was a pretty even-tempered dog, but if there was rice around, OMG he turned into one giant ball of hyper-ness. It's was nuts. And quite entertaining. :upsidedow

Hi Kara, I am so sorry about your beloved Riley. :sad1:

I am subbing, cant wait to hear more. popcorn::
Hi! Thank you! And thanks for joining in! :goodvibes

i just wanted to chime in about boy meets world by far one of the greatest shows ever ive seen every episode oh like a billion times i hope to someday have love like corey and topanga sigh lol and i had the hugest crush on shawn i think i still might lol oh and stacey is a goddess and we should all worship her :worship::worship: i cannot wait to bow before her greatness come oct and introduce my niece to her lol

i just wanted to chime in about boy meets world by far one of the greatest shows ever ive seen every episode oh like a billion times i hope to someday have love like corey and topanga sigh lol and i had the hugest crush on shawn i think i still might lol oh and stacey is a goddess and we should all worship her :worship::worship: i cannot wait to bow before her greatness come oct and introduce my niece to her lol
Cory and Topanga are the best! :thumbsup2

I'm sure your niece will love Stacey just as much as the rest of us. :goodvibes

JULY 2ND PART TWO: DOWNTOWN DISNEY
When I last left off, we had all settled in for a nap. Driving is tiring, yo. :cool2: I don’t remember if I actually got much sleep or not, but I do remember lying there for a while staring at the photo of Future World that was hanging on the wall right next to me. It was my first ‘OH MY GOD I’M REALLY HERE’ moment of the trip. The most random little things tend to set me off, and, before I know it, I have tears in my eyes and goosebumps all over my body. One time, I almost started crying after using a Disney napkin for the first time that trip. A napkin…I cried over a stinkin’ napkin. Clearly, I have a problem.

Anyway, at 4:00, we all started getting ready to head over to Downtown Disney. I thought about showering to get all of the ‘I was just sitting in a car for 7 hours’ off of me, but I went for the ‘Eh, why bother?’ route and just changed into something a little less road trip-y.

Around 4:30, we headed out to the car and left for Downtown Disney. It should have been a short drive, but (again) the traffic was crazy. We sat there forever. Blerg.

Thankfully, though, I had plenty of Disney signage to flail over.
024.jpg

This picture is blurry, but you get the idea. Seeing those purple signs all around me never fails to leave me feeling happy as a clam. Which is a really strange expression. Like, what does it even mean? How can you tell whether or not a clam is happy? They sure don’t appear to be very expressive…

The Marketplace lot was full, so we had to park in the Pleasure Island lot.
025.jpg

No biggie, especially because T-Rex (where we would be eating dinner later that night) is RIGHT THERE.
027-1.jpg

After narrowly avoiding running over several guests who though jumping out in front of a cars would be a good idea, we found a spot and headed inside.
028.jpg

It was so nice to be back on Disney property.

The first thing we noticed was that there were a heck of a lot of people there. DTD was a bit of a madhouse. I mean, I guess that’s to be expected on a Saturday night during July 4th weekend, but it was so unusual for us. We’ve never actually done DTD at night, so we didn’t have any previous experience with giant Disney shopping bag carrying hordes. We do have plenty of experience with FP running, stroller ramming, incredibly sweaty hordes though, so I figured we’d be OK.

The second thing we noticed was that there were new displays outside of the LEGO store! At least, I think they were new because I don’t remember ever seeing them before. How exciting!

Here are the Dwarves (and Dad) getting their mine on!
030.jpg

Grumpy!
032.jpg

This guy wasn’t new, but I still had to snap a picture of him.
033.jpg

He looks so happy. I bet people come feed him Mickey Premium bars (made out of LEGOs, of course) on a regular basis.

Finally, my favorite display, Woody and Buzz!
034.jpg

"Hey, Buzz, you're flying!" “This isn’t flying, this is falling with style.”

Our first store of the evening was Team Mickey. We’re big sports fans, so it’s always fun to wander around in there. I’ve never actually bought anything, but I always like to look. Wouldn’t wanna miss anything cool, y’know? While we were in there, a guy was giving a demonstration on how to make baseball bats. It would’ve been interesting to watch, I’m sure, but the giant Disney shopping bag carrying hordes descended and I couldn’t see a thing. Boo.

To escape the hordes, we headed over to Tren-D, which, conveniently, connects right to Team Mickey. I bet that’s so all of the macho dads/brothers can avoid the (perceived) shame of being caught dead in such a ‘girly’ store.
035.jpg

As always, Tren-D had a bunch of cute stuff, but I was way too overwhelmed to actually purchase anything. That store is too crowded/small. It’s like every Forever21 in the country in terms of disorganization, but it’s also only the size of an Auntie Anne’s pretzel stand, and that, my friends, equals a nightmare.

So, we left the chaos behind in favor of the wonderful, magical, jolly serenity of the Christmas store!
040.jpg

Ah, Christmas and Disney – Two of my favorite things.

You know how I said earlier that we were thinking of maybe doing a Food and Wine redo trip? Well, we can’t, so now we’re looking at a possible early December trip. Thanks to the fact that Katie and I both go to schools on the Quarter system, we’d be able to get in and out before the MASSIVE Christmas crowds show up. Plus, seeing the Christmas decorations in person has always been a dream of mine. So let’s all keep our fingers crossed that we can make a December trip happen!

Anyway, we spent quite a while looking through the Christmas store. Everything in there is just so happy and Christmas-y. Mom and I are quite ornament obsessed, so we usually end up bringing boxes of them home with us. Thankfully, we have a REALLY big tree.

Here’s the ornament we picked out in honor of our first 4th of July trip. Sorry for the blurriness.
001-1.jpg

002-1.jpg

We also bought 3 of the blown glass mouse ear hats and had them personalized with our names. Well, Katie, Wade, and I did. They turned out a little different than what I was hoping for, but I still like them.
004-1.jpg

003-1.jpg

I was mainly hoping that the font would be bigger. I mean, my name’s really short and it looks a bit disproportionate to the rest of the ornament.

While there, I also fell in love with a set of Toy Story ornaments. However, we didn’t actually buy them until later in the trip so I’ll post those pictures then.

Next up, we headed to the Art of Disney.
042.jpg

This is another store I could spend hours in. I love rifling through all of the big boxes of prints and lusting after all of the expensive art hanging on the walls. Someday, once I figure out how to make a living by vacationing at WDW and am really rich, I will be turning my home into a Disney gallery. I’m sure all of that Disney art will look great next to my *NSYNC posters and the Ron Swanson Pyramid of Greatness.

Before we left the area, Mom wanted a picture with the Sorcerer’s Apprentice mops. She wants one for our backyard.
044.jpg

As we walked back along the lake, I stopped to take a picture of one of the “Let the Memories Begin!” banners. I love them/this promotion/that font.
045.jpg

Because we still had quite a bit of time to kill before our reservation, we decided to suck it up and visit World of Disney. That store is ginormous, there are always a million people there, and all of the stuff is panic attack-inducing, but I put on a brave face and in we went.

Surprisingly, there actually weren’t many people inside. I guess they were all too busy trying to cram themselves into Tren-D. Not having to deal with overcrowding and constantly being shoved into merchandise by pushy customers made this World of Disney experience a lot more pleasant. Too bad it’s not always like that.

Even though I told myself I wasn’t going to buy anything because just about everything sold in WoD can be found throughout the parks, I wound up buying something. Well, my parents bought it for me, and it’s quite practical, so whatever.
074.jpg

I wore it several times in the parks(Especially because free falling drops of water + glasses = not being able to see. Hats perfectly shield my glasses from the rain.), and I can continue to do so in the future, so it was well worth the $22.95 + tax.

Mom and Dad also bought stuff, though I can’t remember what exactly, but I know we left with a giant bag.

We still had time before dinner, so we decided to head towards Pleasure Island. I had never actually been in there before. Usually, we stick to the Marketplace. It’s a bummer that all of the clubs have been closed down because, atmospherically, it seems like it would have been a really fun place. From the way the PI faithful talk about it, I’m sure it was. :sad1:

I really wanted to check out Curl, so we headed in there first. Again, I have to ask, why are all the “girly” stores so darn small? Did Disney not think that the “trendy” stores would draw big crowds? I mean, come on! If there’s one thing (most) teenage/twenty something girls like to do, it’s shop. Especially while on vacation. Anyway, Curl was jam-packed. It was nuts.

I was super excited to find that Curl carried TOMS shoes. In fact, they had a GIANT wall full of them. I was in heaven. TOMS are the best. I’ve been wearing them for years. I’m currently sporting a wicked TOMS tan on my feet from wearing them around the parks. :rotfl:

There were a ton of people buying them and I almost started crying thinking about all of the little kids in less fortunate areas of the world who were about to get brand new pairs of shoes. Because I was feeling all warm and fuzzy, I decided to join in on the giving and buy a new pair. They’re just solid brown, but I’ve had my eye on them for a while, so YAY! :cool1:

After Curl, we decided to walk back towards T-Rex and find a (somewhat) quiet spot to people-watch until it was time to check in. While we were walking over, we stumbled upon an electric string quartet playing right outside of Fulton’s. They were playing one of the songs I played in high school orchestra (I can’t remember which one) and I started singing along. Well, is it really considered singing if I wasn’t actually saying words? I was kinda do do do-ing. What’s the proper term for that?

Anyway, we found a shady area and sat down for a bit. Dad made a quick trip to the car so that we wouldn’t have to carry the bags around with us all night. I was in dire need of something refreshing, so I went and got a strawberry slush. They serve them in Styrofoam coffee cups which made me smile. I saw someone earlier carrying one of the cups around and I was just like “WHAT? It’s way too hot for coffee right now! What is she thinking?” As it turns out, she probably wasn’t drinking coffee. :laughing:

It was really nice to just sit for a while and take everything in. Typically, our first day at Disney is a bit on the overwhelming side because we’re all like “OMG WE HAVE TO DO EVERYTHING AND EAT EVERYTHING AND SEE EVERYTHING RIGHT AWAY.” Spending the first evening at Downtown Disney allowed us to relax and slowly adjust to being at Disney without having to deal with all the chaos and distractions of the theme parks. I definitely recommend it.

UP NEXT: Our Prehistoric Family Adventure!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter