I just can't understand why the weatherman/woman can't get it right

RhondaS

DIS Veteran
It just seems to me that the more computurized the weather forecast becomes, the more off the meteorologists are.

Today's forecast for D/FW called for a high in the upper 50's. As I sit here in front of my computer screen, the Weather Bug icon down there in the corner says 72 degrees.

I just don't get it. :flower:

I actually don't even watch the weather anymore. It's much easier to walk out the door and figure it out myself. And much more accurate too. :sunny: :umbrella:

haven't you seen that car commercial?
it's cold and rainy out - girl walking in short summer dress
guy in the car looks puzzled
it's hot and sunny out - guy is walking with umbrella and long coat
guy in the car looks puzzled.

turns out he's the weather man or something like that...cracks me up...

And why do they bother trying to forecast 5-7 days from now as well? :confused3

A front moving not as quickly or not as slowly as expected can really change things.

But we just call them weather guessers.

What a nice gig, it's the only job where you can be consistantly WRONG and still keep your job! :confused3
:scratchin
Maybe I'll take up meterology! :umbrella:

It's been a crazy week, just back in from outside. Now it's cold! I wish it would just stay one way or another. This 80 one day & 40 the next is crazy!

My favorite is when they say there's a 50% chance of rain. They're all but saying "hey, beats me!"

They get paid for this?

Speaking of the "Weather Bug"....where did that come from? Is this a perk that Microsoft popped onto user's computers? I never has it before and then one day, it magically appeared. Everyone in the household is claiming ignorance :confused3

Jimbo said:
My favorite is when they say there's a 50% chance of rain. They're all but saying "hey, beats me!"

They get paid for this?

No, my Dad gets paid for his years of training and great managment skills. He gets paid to warn you of tornados, floods, severe thrunderstorms. He gets paid to inform the pilots and ailrines that you fly if it is safe to take off or not. He gets paid to tell the firefighters who are fighting fires when the wind is shifting.

I'm sure we would rather not have warnings and just be in the dark. Sounds like a better system to me. :rolleyes2

I would not want to be a weatherman (weatherperson) for all the tea in China! I can watch 4 different channels, and they're all different! It's like washing windows, it's a thankless job.

there's a saying up here "You don't like the weather? Wait 15 minutes, it will change, this is New England" it's so true. :umbrella: :sunny:

Jeanny said:
I would not want to be a weatherman (weatherperson) for all the tea in China! I can watch 4 different channels, and they're all different! It's like washing windows, it's a thankless job.

there's a saying up here "You don't like the weather? Wait 15 minutes, it will change, this is New England" it's so true. :umbrella: :sunny:

That's the problem. Don't watch the local weather people. Their new, high tech equipment is not that great. And when it gets bad they go straight to the NWS (or they should if they know what is good for them.)

Cantw8 said:
Speaking of the "Weather Bug"....where did that come from? Is this a perk that Microsoft popped onto user's computers? I never has it before and then one day, it magically appeared. Everyone in the household is claiming ignorance :confused3

Weather Bug comes with AOL Instant Messenger; you can uncheck the option to have it installed but it's the default so whoever installed AIM might have skipped over that screen. I'm not sure if any other programs have it or if you can get it by itself but I know my AIM keeps asking me if I want WeatherBug. :rolleyes:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter