I hear the water at DisneyWorld is nasty?

jmkjml39

Earning My Ears
We are headed to DW in 3 weeks. I just bought refillable, collapsible water jugs - they are amazing. Can freeze them, hook them, etc. Then I read the water in FL is nasty - sorry Floridians.....any experience with walking up to beverage dispensers and refilling water from there? Skipping the line to just get water? I refuse to spend money on water, if I can help it that is.

Thanks!

Every counter service will give you free ice water. It's filtered water so it isn't yucky like the tap water.

And no need to apologize, us Floridians know that our tap water tastes icky. We filter it, treat it or buy it. :thumbsup2

Have a great trip!

Grew up on FL water... but I've been out of state for 20+ years, so I can NOW tell the difference. Still doesn't really bother me though The trouble with the water is that often it has a sulfur taste/smell. Even with all the water treatment it doesn't fully overcome that; straight "well water" is something that I still can't drink. That is why so many non-Floridians prefer bottled water. {And why we take our own water for our dog, he won't drink FL water. Hound nose.}

However, to combat the taste many simply use water enhancement products... there are many on the market... they do help make it tolerable.

BTW, you can ask for FREE cups of ice water at any place that serves drinks in WDW. Then just add your packet of flavoring.

Its nasty. I brought a pur pitcher a few trips back, and even that wouldn't get the nasty taste out. Even the shower water smells like rotton eggs, makes you not want to shower.

I'm not sure what you mean by skipping the line? Most all the resorts (except BWI) have self serve drink stations, so not much of a line. Only those getting drink refills. So you would have to wait your turn if its crowded. Most if the time you can just walk up. No problem.

The CS restaurants will give you free ice water, go during off times when there isn't a big line, as there aren't self serve options there.

I bring Mio to flavour the yucky water!

It's funny...the only places I've noticed problems with the water at WDW is in the Magic Kingdom area. We're DVC members, and have to take allergy meds every day...at every place I've stayed I was able to fill a cup with water out of the kitchen sink and take my meds...except BLT! Oh my gosh it was just awful. I got cup of ice water at MK...and couldn't drink it. But at AKL, OKW, ... no problem at all.

The water at the resorts tastes fine to me, but the water from the park water fountains tastes like it came from Seven Seas Lagoon. I thought the water in the Universal Parks was fine, too. I also hate to buy water bottles.

I love the smell of Florida water! I know..I know...I'm weird.:p It's one of the things that makes me feel like I am on vacation!
That being said - I am not crazy enought to want to drink it. ;) - We always bring Liv Fit and Pure water bottles with us to the Parks - We fill it with ice before we leave our resort in the morning and refill it throughout the day - we find the water to taste fine and it stays cold. You can always get the free ice water in the Parks. You can't cut in line to get it..must wait your turn if you want it...but we think it tastes fine. :)

I thought I was being smart and took my lemonade pack, (like I had read to do) LOL! Asked for free water at Magic Kingdom (seems like near Pirates) poured my lemonade in, (My husband and I were so thirsty!) Thought I was being so smart!

We gulped it down! Oh my! It was nasty! :crazy2: It was gross! I had to hold my breath to drink it! LOL! Lemonade didn't help! Buy your water! Take it! Do something different than I did! LOL!

We had our bottled water but fridge in room wouldn't ever get it cold! We took our bottled water and drank it warm and ended up just buying water inside parks before it was over!

MK water is horrid... like really horrid! My kids wouldnt drink it at all.... we usually buy bottles.

monorailmom said:
It's funny...the only places I've noticed problems with the water at WDW is in the Magic Kingdom area.
That's the same thing I've noticed - only at/near MK.

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android

For places that have drink stations, you can walk up and fill your water bottle with water. There aren't that many places like this in the parks. Most places fill the drinks behind the counters.

The only one I can think of off the top of my head is Restaurantosaurus at the Animal Kingdom, because I've done it myself. We did it plenty at the resort.

I used Crystal Light/koolaid packets on one of my last trips, and while it covered the taste fine, I got sick of it after a while.

I also found that the ice helped mitigate the bad taste from the water fountains, so when I did order a fountain drink, I would pour the ice into my water bottle after I finished.

This year, I'll probably bring some flavoring packets, use lots of ice, and I bought a couple of filtering water bottles to take. We'll see how it goes. I don't like the taste of most bottled water either, so it's really a no win situation for me.

No matter where you go in this country, the water will be perceived as "nasty" by some, because it tastes differently than your own water. It is like the question, "will I be hot" or "will I be cold".

Many people are not used to filtered water, but it is slightly better than regular tap water. If you do not like the taste, only bottled water will satisfy you and it will cost you. The other alternative is to take a flavoring for the water to "mask" the taste.

Never mind the taste, DH and I both get physically ill from the tap water and water fountain water at WDW. :sick: Like Montezuma's revenge!! DH actually had to cancel his Divequest tour at Epcot one time because he forgot to avoid the water and ended up getting really sick. He had to go back to the room and lay down for a few hours.

I refuse to carry a water bottle around all day. I have no issues at all drinking the water in the parks, at the fountains/bubblers (whatever you want to call them!!!). Is it the very best tasting water in the world? No, but it hasn't killed me yet. And when I go in the hotter/humid months, I won't spend upwards of $10 a day on bottled water!!!

The water from the water fountains (not the CS machines) in the MK is nasty!! At least the one in the circle area in front of the castle

So glad to hear I'm not the only one who thinks the water is worse in the Magic Kingdom area! I always thought I was imagining things! But it seems like anytime we stay in a MK area resort, its just slightly nastier than other parts of the resort. I wonder if that part of the park in on a separate water system or something.

I have noticed a difference even inside of MK. Tomorrowland water is much worse than Frontierland. Maybe it's just me. In fact, I would think it all is from the same system. Maybe they use a different filtering system.

Has anyone ever bought a water bottle with a brita type filter in it? I saw them at Target and was wondering if that would take care of the smell.

Weezerette said:
Has anyone ever bought a water bottle with a brita type filter in it? I saw them at Target and was wondering if that would take care of the smell.

We use these and they're great. No smell and the water tastes normal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter