I haven't been this excited about my birthday since I turned 21! COMPLETE

Loved the Les Halles update. It's on my list for Dec. for sure. I'm so used to going when it is HOT that I am totally inexperienced when it comes to treats that aren't of the frozen/ cold variety.

I've never been in Rose and Crown.:confused3But, your drink looks right up my alley. I'll have to keep it in mind in case I run into some inclement weather in Epcot.

I LOVE the Cider and Black at R&C! I discovered it a couple of years ago when DH and I had dinner there. I don't like beer either but enjoy fruity drinks as well as hard cider so this was also right up my alley. :thumbsup2 I keep seeing reviews and pictures of the Scotch egg and I'm convinced it's something I'm going to have to try one of these days.

Hope your meal in the wilds of Canada was tasty, I look forward to your next review. :goodvibes

Love the idea of hiding out at Rose n crown during the rain and having some tasty snacks and drinks, especially when you secure prime real estate. Your drink looks fab, I'm gonna have to try that one as the typical British beers are not my thing. Can't wait to sew what French goodies are in order....

This is the first chance I got to see everyone and it was fun:goodvibes Yes there was rain bit we had fun

Beautiful pictures of Les Halles! Makes me wish I was there now. And the scotch egg at Rose and Crown is something I would love to try.

We will DEFINITELY be making a stop at Les Halles on our next trip. Thanks for all those detailed pictures, I *almost* felt like I was there!

Looking forward to your Le Cellier review. I've been reading some not-so-favorable reviews lately so I'm anxious to hear how it was for you.

Lots of rain on your trip or am I wrong? Not that it stopped you from go go going when at disney world : ) I'm a big fan of scotch eggs and your beer looks fabulous and cold ... Nice!

The soup at AP looks so good! I'm a big lover of mushrooms. The offerings are WL CL look yummy, so cool you got to try it for a night. This seems like such a nice trip!

No baby yet Barb, 10 more days till due date, hopefully he arrives before that :)

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Loved the Les Halles update. It's on my list for Dec. for sure. I'm so used to going when it is HOT that I am totally inexperienced when it comes to treats that aren't of the frozen/ cold variety.

I've never been in Rose and Crown.:confused3But, your drink looks right up my alley. I'll have to keep it in mind in case I run into some inclement weather in Epcot.

Oh, I bet you will love being at WDW during a cooler time of year. Not only will it not be quite so hot in December, but the holiday decorations and activities are wonderful. And I hope you do make it to Les Halles to try some of their many delicious offerings. :thumbsup2

Rose and Crown was fun... The rain kinda put a damper on all of our plans but we made the best of it!

This is the first chance I got to see everyone and it was fun:goodvibes Yes there was rain bit we had fun

I'm so glad this worked out. It turned out to be a great Plan B. Thanks so much for joining me ladies (& gentleman)...drinking with friends is so much more fun than drinking with strangers! ;)

I LOVE the Cider and Black at R&C! I discovered it a couple of years ago when DH and I had dinner there. I don't like beer either but enjoy fruity drinks as well as hard cider so this was also right up my alley. :thumbsup2 I keep seeing reviews and pictures of the Scotch egg and I'm convinced it's something I'm going to have to try one of these days.

Hope your meal in the wilds of Canada was tasty, I look forward to your next review. :goodvibes

Carol, it seems like we have much in common regarding our WDW favorites...like our love for Artist Point and the Rose & Crown's Cider and Black. It's a shame that we won't be there at the same time in October, as I would love to meet you and have a fruity cocktail together. :)

Love the idea of hiding out at Rose n crown during the rain and having some tasty snacks and drinks, especially when you secure prime real estate. Your drink looks fab, I'm gonna have to try that one as the typical British beers are not my thing. Can't wait to sew what French goodies are in order....

Yes, while I found the Strongbow cider drinkable on its own, I prefer my hard cider just a little less dry (my favorite hard cider is Angry Orchard). However, with the addition of the black currant juice this was perfect for me. :thumbsup2

After my lunch in Canada I will be making a return trip to France so stay tuned. ;)

Beautiful pictures of Les Halles! Makes me wish I was there now. And the scotch egg at Rose and Crown is something I would love to try.

Hi Rachel! :wave2: Have you already taken your summer trip? If so, how was it? Did you enjoy your first stay at the Wilderness Lodge?

Anyway, I definitely recommend that you give the Scotch egg a try. Even my son (a very picky eater) enjoyed it. :thumbsup2

We will DEFINITELY be making a stop at Les Halles on our next trip. Thanks for all those detailed pictures, I *almost* felt like I was there!

Looking forward to your Le Cellier review. I've been reading some not-so-favorable reviews lately so I'm anxious to hear how it was for you.

Glad you enjoyed the photos. It was fun having the place to myself for a few minutes...just long enough to take pictures before the lunch crowd arrived.

I too have seen the recent discussions regarding Le Cellier's menu changes. I'll be adding my $.02 in my upcoming review, which I'll be posting momentarily. ;)

Lots of rain on your trip or am I wrong? Not that it stopped you from go go going when at disney world : ) I'm a big fan of scotch eggs and your beer looks fabulous and cold ... Nice!

Well, it all started with that torrential downpour which preceded our dinner at YSH earlier in the week. Perhaps we should have taken this as a bad omen and skipped that dinner? Cutting our losses (paying the $10/pp fee) and staying at the WL to dine at Artist Point or Territory Lounge may have been a wise choice. But you know what they say, "Hindsight is 20/20." :laughing: Anyway, after that it did rain three out of the four remaining days of my trip, but none of these rains were quite like that one.

If you love Scotch eggs and a cold pint (of beer or hard cider), then I think the Rose & Crown is the place for you. :thumbsup2

The soup at AP looks so good! I'm a big lover of mushrooms. The offerings are WL CL look yummy, so cool you got to try it for a night. This seems like such a nice trip!

AP's portobello soup is delicious! On a previous visit to Artist Point, I had to fight off my DD's spoon once she had tasted my soup...and she detests mushrooms. :laughing:

I really loved my one night staying CL at the Wilderness, so much so that I reserved another one night stay there on my next trip. While I can't really justify the additional expense for a longer stay, I think a one night splurge is doable and added a very special touch to a great trip. :)

No baby yet Barb, 10 more days till due date, hopefully he arrives before that :)

Thanks for the update Lori. You are in the homestretch, how exciting! :woohoo:

So what did I find in the Canadian wilderness? Well, I must have wandered into the French territory because I came upon this restaurant...

However the food here was not French, nor was there any elk, bear, or moose on the menu...well, except for this "moose". :p

Though I arrived 1/2 hour earlier than they were expecting me, I was seated at a table for two after about a 10 minute wait.

Here is the menu which was presented to me on the 2nd of May, starting with the appetizer section...

While I would have loved to get a bowl of their delicious soup...

Canadian Cheddar Cheese Soup made with Moosehead Beer, “Nueske’s” Applewood- Smoked Bacon

...sadly I knew I would not be able to eat both the soup and an entree, so no soup this time. :sad2: The above photo was from my last visit to Le Cellier in March 2013. While we each got our own bowl of the soup, we shared another appetizer that is still listed on the current menu...

“Le Cellier” Lobster Chopped Salad - Mixed Field Greens, Haricot Verts, Avocado, Tomatoes, and "Lake Meadow" Egg

I thought the salad was good but would have enjoyed it more if the mixed greens hadn't been mostly endive (frisee). The other components were very good though, especially the avocado, egg, and the lobster.

But having no one to share an appetizer with this time, I stuck with just the complimentary bread basket to start out my meal.

But I actually only had the pretzel breadstick, which was good but it did make me miss its usual dunking partner, the cheese soup, even more. :sad1:

And while I did take a look at their cocktail menu (sorry these are a bit blurry)...

which also included several Canadian beer selections,...

...I ended up just getting Iced Tea again.

Now for my entree, which was selected from this section of the menu...

I chose Le Cellier's signature entree, the Filet Mignon...

AAA Canadian Beef Tenderloin, English Pea Risotto, Confit Mushrooms, and White Truffle-Butter Sauce

And a close-up shot...

So as you may have noticed, they had changed the risotto from mushroom to English pea. I know many people are up in arms about this change, however I must say that for me the change was welcomed. I was never a big fan of the mushroom risotto, in fact, more often than not I switched the risotto for the delicious cream cheese mashed potatoes that were once offered at Le Cellier. So anyway, I found this new version of risotto to be very tasty. Oh, and I've seen some negative comments regarding its green color but I didn't mind it all.

As for the filet, it was cooked perfectly as ordered, which was medium this time (I learned my lesson at YSH ;) ). And I really enjoyed the white truffle-butter sauce too. I wouldn't hesitate to get this again next time, however I have read that they have again changed the risotto and the sauce which accompany the filet. On the current menu this is now listed as Smoked Bacon and Spinach Risotto and Parmesan-Butter Sauce. Again these sound good to me and something I would certainly be willing to try. Unless of course, they should bring back my favorite side dish...but as of now, my beloved cream cheese mashed potatoes are nowhere to be found. :(

So anyway, though I cleaned my plate, I still had a little room left for dessert (again sorry for the blurry pic)....

However, I didn't see anything on their current menu which sounded good to me so I formed an alternative plan for my dessert. ;)

So in conclusion, I definitely enjoyed my filet at Le Cellier more than the overcooked YSH filet that I had earlier in the trip. But I will be visiting a third steakhouse on this trip, so how will the Shula's filet stack up against its WDW competition??? Stay tuned to find out. :thumbsup2

Next up: A Visit to L’Artisan des Glaces

Great review of Le Cellier. I was never the biggest fan of LC, but I feel like the place has received a bit too much criticism over the past few years (ever since it went signature). Initially, the signature menu was very similar to the 1-credit lunch offerings, with many dishes (including the mushroom filet and several appetizers) finding a place on both menus. Now, the chef is clearly taking more liberties to make the food more creative and 'signature', but people are snapping back because they don't like changes. You can't really have it both ways...

Speaking for myself, I feel like LC's menu is up to par with many of the other signatures (with LC's menu skewing a bit 'simpler', which makes sense because of the restaurant's in-park location). Of course, the prices have risen accordingly, and I think that's why people are upset - LC is no longer one of the best restaurant values in WDW (especially if you're using the DDP and enjoy red meat). That said, while I don't think the food at LC is bad, the atmosphere is lame. LC is dark, cramped, and doesn't 'feel' like a signature, and Disney should have given the place a proper refurbishment (and spaced out the tables).

I have to say, though, that dessert menu looks really good to me. I'd love to try the citrus-olive oil cake or Meyer lemon curd torte!

Barb,

You have me intrigued about the Not Live reporting. Do I post direct or send the entries to you? I looked at the thread and have seen both.

I like the idea of highlights too. My sister and I tend to return to old favorites. That way, I could focus on new items!

--Rosemary
AKA pennyplanner

Carol, it seems like we have much in common regarding our WDW favorites...like our love for Artist Point and the Rose & Crown's Cider and Black. It's a shame that we won't be there at the same time in October, as I would love to meet you and have a fruity cocktail together. :)

I know what you mean Barb as I too am bummed about missing you in October. I'd love to meet you as well, and get to know you over a refreshing, fruity adult beverage. ;) Hopefully we'll be in the World at the same time in future! :goodvibes

I'm so glad you enjoyed your lunch at LeCel and that it made up for your abysmal experience at Yachtsman. I really love the look of the new filet and while I always enjoyed the mushroom risotto, the pea risotto appeals to me just as much, if not a bit more. Glad to hear you enjoyed it! :thumbsup2 I too mourn the loss of the cream cheese mashed potatoes, they were addictive! :cloud9:

I've been reading about the controversy surrounding the changes at Le Cellier and have to agree with Mr. DDW about not being able to have it all ways. People want a more Signature experience, but at the same time, they don't want anything to change. I also agree they need to update the interior a bit and space out the tables. I would also suggest getting tables that are a wee bit larger. DH and I sat at a 2-top just like yours during our last visit and it was seriously cramped, LOL. Of course my martini flight took up a lot of the space ... :rolleyes1

Another great review Barb, thanks for sharing! :goodvibes

So glad your lunch at le Cellier didn't succumb to the yachtsman curse. Your steak looks heavenly and what a novel concept to cook it as you requested ; ) can't wait to see what French goodies await

Your LCD is making me hungry! I'd be willing to try a new risotto, but I told you about my love affair with mushrooms in general....

Hi Barb. Le Cellier looks really interesting. I was never a big fan of the sauce on the filet. Maybe one of the new sauces will be more to my taste. I am more of a strip fan anyway though.

Las Halles looks awesome too. I went there for the first time in January. Really good. The raspberry desserts must be tried in October.

My October planning is going well. We have our La Hacienda ressie and I can't wait to share a margarita with you. I have ressies for all but one day, though I am sure they will change before the trip. They always do. I have my tickets for the food and wine classic on October 31. Do you think people will dress up that night?

Ready for more of your reviews.

Your entree looks really fabulous ... And overall a great meal : ) I haven't been there in years so I might just add it for our next stay ... I have a few reservation I'm not sure of at this point, but still time to make changes of course! A great day at Epcot : )

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter