I haven't been this excited about my birthday since I turned 21! COMPLETE

Glad you had a great 4th.

I love the caramel shop I think it's my favorite in all of Disney. I did try the dark chocolate covered pineapple this last time and it was just ok. I figured I would love it, I put Nutella on pineapple a lot and love it. My favorite is the dark chocolate covered sea salt square and I just don't think it lived up to that. Luckily one of my daughters got one of those and couldn't finish it so I ate the rest of hers.

Going back to Le Cellier. I cancelled my ressie because they changed the risotto. I was looking forward to the mushroom and I just don't like peas, so I figured I would hate it. Yours looked really good though I kind of regret not going. I love spinach though if they would have had that when I went I wouldn't have cancelled.

I've had the chocolate covered pineapple from Big Top Treats in the new Fantasyland and it was DELICIOUS. So much so that I went back for 2nds another night :)

I have officially convinced my DH to try the chocolate covered pineapple on our alone day in epcot (without our kids). I will also get the milk chocolate covered strawberry, as that is my favorite! I can't wait!

I love Karamell-Kuche:lovestruc. I usually get a strawberry & the choc. covered caramel with salt, mmmmm, yummy. I wish I could stick a spoon in their large vat of caramel & scoop some out, :goodvibes.

Ah, Barb, my favorite sweet stop at Epcot, Karmel-Kuche. I had the chocolate cookie last trip and it was delicious. Wish I could try everything in the case!

Love the detailed sweets review! Every time I go in that place I am overwhelmed, but I am always overwhelmed at Disney with all the decadent choices ;) BTW baby decided to come early! Was at my friends 4th of July party and went into labor, surprise surprise Alexander was born Saturday morning at 4:55. He is perfect and can't wait to start his own Disney dining report!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Congratulations Lori!

And thanks Barb for a detailed review of a place I haven't appreciated enough. My last snack there was a sea salt caramel wrapped in dark chocolate and it was very good, but your favorite treat also looks great! And the LotR reference sounds very apt. :laughing:

Congratulations Lori!

Barb, the dark chocolate pineapple is possibly my favorite Disney treat. I was hesitant when I first tried it but it is a must do every trip for me. I say definitely give it a try!

Looking forward to Flying Fish. It is on my definite list with Jay in the Fall!

Glad your 4th was great and your daughter got to come home.

I'm dying to try the brioche ice cream sandwich next visit but hadn't ready thought about the odd texture. Hopefully I like it, will have to see.

Great pics of all the caramel offerings. I'd never noticed the caramel creams before and now have a must do next trip. I'm a sucker for the goetzs variety so I can't fathom how good these must be. I'm also a big fan of the popcorn, but didn't love the salted caramel. This is usually one of my favs but last trip found that the caramel wasn't actually salted and it only had salt on top of the chocolate.

It seems that most people do like the brioche ice cream sandwich so I bet you will probably like it. Though I myself can't personally recommend it, I can wholeheartedly recommend that you try a KK caramel roll. :thumbsup2

I've been really enjoying your reviews!

I love the chocolate covered pineapple. It's messy though!! Make sure you have lots of napkins on hand. Kona Cafe has a desert... forget the name... a dish of melted chocolate, fresh fruit and a macaroon to dip. I always ask for extra pineapple instead of the macaroon! A delicious combo :thumbsup2

Thanks for reading and thank you for the tip about the napkins! I will definitely follow your advice! :)

Glad to hear that you enjoyed your Holiday weekend - WITH your Emily present. Nice work with your bribery tactics! ;)

I've missed that mushroom filet the last few trips to Le Cellier. As much as I love the mushroom risotto I wouldn't mind the pea version since I love peas. That pretzel bread just isn't the same without the soup. :sad2:

I've found more than a few things that I completely justify leaving a little poorer at Karamel Kuche. Like those sea salt caramels and the caramel brownies. Oh man, I can feel a craving coming on!

Hi Brenda! I was just thinking about you, as I was writing my next review from our dinner at Flying Fish. How's your trip planning going? Isn't your trip with Em coming up very soon? Since I won't be with you this time or receiving live updates, I hope you will posting trip updates on Facebook and/or Instagram. :thumbsup2

Yum those chocolate Carmel covered pretzels & marshmallow caramels look delicious a fun store for sure : ) I honestly don't remember going in that store and I'm sure I must have? So happy most of your kiddos were home fro the fourth ... Family, fireworks and grilled meat make it a perfect day : )

If you haven't yet made it into Karamell Kuche, then I highly recommend that you do so on your next trip. I don't think you will be disappointed. ;)

Glad you had a great 4th.

I love the caramel shop I think it's my favorite in all of Disney. I did try the dark chocolate covered pineapple this last time and it was just ok. I figured I would love it, I put Nutella on pineapple a lot and love it. My favorite is the dark chocolate covered sea salt square and I just don't think it lived up to that. Luckily one of my daughters got one of those and couldn't finish it so I ate the rest of hers.

Going back to Le Cellier. I cancelled my ressie because they changed the risotto. I was looking forward to the mushroom and I just don't like peas, so I figured I would hate it. Yours looked really good though I kind of regret not going. I love spinach though if they would have had that when I went I wouldn't have cancelled.

I had never really thought about putting chocolate or Nutella on pineapple until now. I do though remember when 'Ohana served fresh pineapple and caramel sauce for dessert before they switched to the bread pudding. That was a very delicious combo!

And regarding Le Cellier, I've made an ADR there for my next trip in October but I'm not sure if I will keep it or not. If I find out that the Canada booth will again be serving the cheese soup and the filet during the F & W Fest, then I might cancel my ADR and just go the cheaper route and get my LC fix at the booths. :thumbsup2

I've had the chocolate covered pineapple from Big Top Treats in the new Fantasyland and it was DELICIOUS. So much so that I went back for 2nds another night :)

Hi Jillian! :wave2: You know I remember Vicki (GoofySon'sMom) getting one of those at Big Top when we were there together last December. It did look really good! I wonder how they compare to the ones at Karamell Kuche? :confused3

I have officially convinced my DH to try the chocolate covered pineapple on our alone day in epcot (without our kids). I will also get the milk chocolate covered strawberry, as that is my favorite! I can't wait!

Sounds like a great plan, Karla! :thumbsup2

I love Karamell-Kuche:lovestruc. I usually get a strawberry & the choc. covered caramel with salt, mmmmm, yummy. I wish I could stick a spoon in their large vat of caramel & scoop some out, :goodvibes.

I think you have a great idea there about the spoon, only I would use something larger like a ladle or maybe even a shovel? :laughing:

Ah, Barb, my favorite sweet stop at Epcot, Karmel-Kuche. I had the chocolate cookie last trip and it was delicious. Wish I could try everything in the case!

Every trip I attempt to try something new as well get all of our old favorites. Therefore my shopping list at KK is getting longer and longer and my bill gets bigger and bigger. Oops! :upsidedow

Love the detailed sweets review! Every time I go in that place I am overwhelmed, but I am always overwhelmed at Disney with all the decadent choices ;) BTW baby decided to come early! Was at my friends 4th of July party and went into labor, surprise surprise Alexander was born Saturday morning at 4:55. He is perfect and can't wait to start his own Disney dining report!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Yay!!! :yay: Congrats Lori & Peter on the arrival of your baby boy! With the name Alexander, I am positive he is nothing less than great. :goodvibes

Congratulations Lori!

And thanks Barb for a detailed review of a place I haven't appreciated enough. My last snack there was a sea salt caramel wrapped in dark chocolate and it was very good, but your favorite treat also looks great! And the LotR reference sounds very apt. :laughing:

While I don't think I'm quite as obsessed as Gollum, I do admit that it's a little crazy to hide my caramel roll supply and then ration it so that it will last for months after my trip. My family has even offered to buy me a bag of Werther's caramels at the local store, but it's just not the same. ;)

Ha!
It takes a brave man to steal a ladies' final caramel treat ;-)

Maybe brave, but not a wise man! :lmao:

Congratulations Lori!

Barb, the dark chocolate pineapple is possibly my favorite Disney treat. I was hesitant when I first tried it but it is a must do every trip for me. I say definitely give it a try!

Looking forward to Flying Fish. It is on my definite list with Jay in the Fall!

Oh, I had just mentioned your BTT chocolate-covered pineapple from our December trip. Have you also had the one at Karamell Kuche? If so, how do they compare?

I'll be posting Part 1 of my Flying Fish review momentarily! :thumbsup2

:rotfl: at Gollum! But, I admit, I can relate. In Disneyland I always stock up on treats from either Pooh Corner or Main St, because it is a little taste of Disney when I'm home. Nothing else compares!! I will be stocking up at WDW also, I'm sure of it. :thumbsup2

FLYING FISH CAFE - PART 1

My next review is from a dinner which still has me shaking my head in disbelief. I will attempt to convey to you the series of events which occurred during this meal and led to a somewhat shocking conclusion. However, this dinner took place more than two months ago now and my memories of it are starting to fade. Well actually, to be honest, I walked out of Flying Fish that night wondering "what the heck just happened here???" :confused3 But I'm getting ahead of myself, so let's go back and start at the beginning.

I met up with my dining companions (Brenda & Michael and Paula & Hunter) on the Boardwalk a few minutes before our 8:00 ADR at...

Beth (Couchy) was also to join us for dinner but she had not yet arrived at the restaurant when we were seated a few minutes later.

I like the circus-themed decor here. Others have called it whimsical, and I would agree with this description.

I especially love the decorative ferris wheel which covers most of the back wall of the restaurant's main dining room.

And I also really like the many parachuting "flying fish" which are suspended from the sky-like ceiling.

In the process of being seated, Brenda had a mishap with a neighbor's umbrella which was left on the floor in the area behind her chair. She injured the same foot (or was it ankle???) that she had injured and had in a cast within the last year. Despite the swelling and pain that she was probably experiencing, she was a trooper and didn't let it put a damper on her evening.

After being seated we were presented with these menus...

Brenda and I each received "Happy Birthday" menus and Paula got a "Happy Anniversary" one. But since Hunter was celebrating two special occasions...

And being the clever man that he is, Hunter made good use of his two menus...

But then of course, there was the problem of deciding whether to order from the Birthday menu...

...or the Anniversary menu.

We looked over our menus and waited for the chef to come to the table to speak to Hunter regarding his allergies. Knowing that Beth wouldn't want to miss this dinner since Flying Fish was one of her favorite restaurants, we continued to try and reach her but had no luck. Our volunteer, Michael, was dispatched to her hotel, the nearby Swan, to check on her soon after we received our drink orders. I splurged and went with their Riesling Wine Flight...

This also seemed to be an international trio of wines, as one was German (Selbach-Oster Kabinett), another was from New Zealand (Mohua), and the third was a U.S. riesling from California (Fess Parker). I had had the other two wines previously, but this was my first taste of the Fess Parker riesling and it turned out to be my favorite of the three.

At the time that our server delivered our drinks to the table, he also brought the bread basket and butter...

Let's see a close-up of what I will call the, "Much Ado About Nothing" bread...

I call it this for two reasons. First, because it tasted like nothing...no flavor at all. And the unsalted butter was of no help to the flavorless bread. The second reason is that this very, very minor part of our meal started a "spark" which may or may not have caused this meal to go up in flames. :furious:

But before I address this issue further, let me first show you the appetizers that we chose from this part of the menu...

I ordered the restaurant's signature appetizer duo...

This consists of one of my favorite Disney appetizers...

Crispy Maine Coast Jonah Crab Cake with Savory Vegetable Slaw, Roasted Red Pepper Coulis, and Ancho Chile Remoulade

...and a Caesar Salad.

What makes this Caesar salad especially good is the Parmigiana-Montegrappa Frico which is served on top. For parmesan cheese lovers like me, this wafer-thin parmesan cheese-flavored crisp is delicious!

And speaking of cheese, Paula and Hunter also ordered two cheese plates for everyone to share.

Here is the photo that I took of the menu which was presented with our cheese plates...

I was impressed that there were five different cheeses, as many of the other cheese plates served at Disney restaurants have been reduced to only three or four. These were all very good, but my favorites were the Pecorino Toscano and the Blue Cheese. I loved to eat these along with a bit of the honey...cheese and honey are such a heavenly combination. :cloud9:

Now back to the "Much Ado About Nothing" bread. The tasteless bread soon became the topic of conversation at our table, as some of us had just dined at Flying Fish in December and the bread tasted much better then. So when our server brought our appetizers someone (I think maybe Paula??) asked if they had changed their bread recipe recently (or something like that). Our server seemed annoyed by the question and by our general opinion that the bread was tasteless. In a defensive tone, he stated that the bread was the same as it had always been. From this point on, his attitude toward us became progressively more impatient and snippy.

The nice chef who had previously been at our table to meet with Hunter, was quite the opposite though. When he found out about our bread situation, he quickly provided us with more bread (which again was tasteless). However this time, he sent over some kind of premium-quality butter which was topped with something (maybe sea salt and some kind of herbs???).

This butter was much better than the one we were originally served and rightfully so. From Hunter's comments, I got the feeling that this premium-quality butter was literally worth its weight in gold. $$$

However the chef not only took care of our tasteless bread problem, but went one giant step further and presented us with this platter of Prosciutto and Melon...

This was sooo delicious that it warrants a second look...

I absolutely love the combination of salty/peppery prosciutto and sweet melon!! I so wish that they would add this to their Appetizer menu.

And so the tasteless bread incident would have been long forgotten thanks to the chef, except that our server seemed peeved about the special treatment we were receiving. As an example of this, when our server brought the second batch of bread he set it down in front of Hunter and in a very sarcastic tone said, "I'll put you in charge of the tasteless bread." (or something similar) So despite the chef's wonderful gesture that should have easily doused the tiny spark created by the bread situation, our server kept the fire alive by fanning it with his "bad" attitude.

So what do you think, folks? Did our dinner go up in flames or did the fire department arrive in time to rescue it? Stay tuned for Part II (hopefully tomorrow) to find out the fate of our dinner at the Flying Fish Cafe.

P.S. Brenda and Paula - feel free to correct anything that I've gotten wrong so far. I'm counting on your younger minds to set right any details that I've botched. ;)

Next up: Flying Fish Cafe - Part II

Yes Barb, I meant in costume. Last year I wrote a dress and heels, though many people were much more causal.

On the edge of my seat for Flying Fish part II.

Wow. I'm so sorry your server copped an attitude about the bread. Personally, I've never cared for the FF bread and there have been times when I've told them to not even bring it.

I'm hoping that the service gets better for you. I've only had top-notch service at the Flying Fish.

Hmmmm. What an interesting start to your FF review. Looking forward to the next installment! That prosciutto and melon has me drooling this morning!

I have had the chocolate covered pineapple at KK and it is absolutely yummy and definitely a step above the others on property because of the added layer of caramel! I cannot wait to get one in the Fall!

Wow. A question about the bread recipe is no reason to be rude to the people you're serving.

I'm really hoping your meal didn't crash and burn, but I have a bad feeling..

I'm also hoping you didn't let Mr Attitude off without complaining about him.

I'm just perplexed by the service at Flying Fish lately. I'm hoping your experience got better but from our past two meals there I'm doubtful. It's just so very strange to me that the server would have such an attitude about you having a negative opinion about the bread :confused3 Why does he even care about how you like or dislike the bread?

The prosciutto and melon platter looks absolutely delicious though! That's one of my favorite combinations :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter