• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I did hear

thepoohguy

Mouseketeer
that Disney is bidding out a job to fix Disco Yeti. This comes from a very reliable source who did work on pieces of CARSLand, as well as the new "Soarin'" type ride.

I would say YAY!!!

But it seems almost impossible to me...

The Yeti is almost a part of the structure of the whole building.
This would mean, IF they are going to fix it, the ride would be out of business for a really looooong period.

I would guess almost a year to tear it all down...

I would say YAY!!!

But it seems almost impossible to me...

The Yeti is almost a part of the structure of the whole building.
This would mean, IF they are going to fix it, the ride would be out of business for a really looooong period.

I would guess almost a year to tear it all down...

If that's the case, I don't see them fixing it until Avatarland is open. AK is short enough on rides as it is, and closing EE for that long could definitely have a negative impact unless Avatarland can absorb some of the crowds.

If this is true, I'll hold of the criticism until I see what they plan to fix. There are some pretty good engineers out there that could come up with a solution that could be implemented without tearing out the whole thing. It may not be the original motion or movement, but I bet someone coms up with a good solution without bringing it down for 12 months or longer.

Couldn't you argue that Epcot is also pretty short on rides but they still did the refurb of TT and let the park absorb the crowds?

I mean, Epcot has 10 rides if I count correctly, AK has 7? But in that AK has 2 longish stage shows that you could count in there as they hold a lot of people.

Personally, I've only ever seen Betty as the Disco Yeti, and while I'm sure the intended effect is great, it's not like the ride is bad without it.

it's not like the ride is bad without it.

I (and I'm sure many others on this board) could argue this point. I rode this on the day it opened when the yeti was in full effect and I was completely underwhelmed. This ride is nothing but a huge ego stroke for Joe Rohde who i can't tolerate. I consider this ride to be no better than a C-Ticket.

This ride is nothing but a huge ego stroke for Joe Rohde who i can't tolerate.

So... do you hate Joe Rohde because of this ride, or do you hate this ride because of Jo Rohde? I'd say its a pretty darn good roller coaster, regardless of creator (which really doesn't matter to me anyway).

I'd like the yeti to get fixed, but its quite the project to undertake. As stated, I don't think it could happen until whatever form of expansion or addition occurs, but again as stated, Test Track got refurbed and that worked out alright.

I rode EE when it first opened and thought the yeti was amazing in true form. The ride is definitely compromised with out full motion betty IMO.

Anyone notice the yeti's face with the tunnel for its mouth on the side of the mountain? ( viewed best when crossing the bridge from dino land) I think it looks like Joe Rohde.

I'm guessing that the reason Disney would go out for bid on a fix is because their Imagineers have not come up with a fix that does not require dismantling the ride.

There are companies that put out oil well fires. There are companies that can plug undersea oil rig leaks. There is probably a company that can come up with a method of correcting the Yeti's mounting without tearing down the ride but will Disney be willing to spend the money on it.

It is an embarassment that the ride is broken but shutting down Everest for a year may be more costly than not haveing the Yeti move.

As an engineer myself I have to say it should be noted that some issues are "unfixable". However, in my opnion, there should be a fix for this that gives something between the original Yeti swipe and a yeti with some sort of movement.

The great issue is that ANY major change would likely require significant downtime on the ride. I would think there's a chance that they wouldn't want to risk closing this ride until Avatarland has been opened for quite a while, which would make me question the validity of the rumor.

I still hope it happens, while I still enjoy the ride, the ride is certainly better with a functioning Yeti.

As an engineer myself I have to say it should be noted that some issues are "unfixable". However, in my opnion, there should be a fix for this that gives something between the original Yeti swipe and a yeti with some sort of movement.

The great issue is that ANY major change would likely require significant downtime on the ride. I would think there's a chance that they wouldn't want to risk closing this ride until Avatarland has been opened for quite a while, which would make me question the validity of the rumor.

I still hope it happens, while I still enjoy the ride, the ride is certainly better with a functioning Yeti.

The rumor is the problem was put out for bids. I think that part of the rumor is plausible.

Add me to the list of posters who don't think Disney will be getting a proposal for a price Disney is willing to pay, for the result Disney is looking for and with the amount of down time Disney is willing to live with.

Could the solution be to remove the existing Yeti and replace him with "Yeti light"?

Is there no way to work on the yeti after park hours? I'm sure it wouldn't be the best, but could they put up a curtain with a picture of the yeti on the outside (like they do with the building on main street)? They could then do work behind the curtain after the park is closed.

Animal Kingdom does usually close pretty early...sometimes 5pm...and as late as 8pm. It seems like they would have almost a 12 hour window on most days (8pm to 8am?).

I exprienced the attraction both ways as well. The moving yeti does make the attraction better, but the ride is still great either way.

Speedy :teleport:

I haven't been to AK for awhile. What is wrong with the Yeti?

So does anyone here know for sure what is wrong with it. The two most plausible rumors I heard, was a cracked foundation and lack of lubrication on the joints at initial start up.

I would think if it were joints that wore/seized due to no lubrication that the fix would be relativly easy. Because Joints should be expected to wear over time no matter how well they are lubed so there shold be a way to replace them designed into it.

My gut is it is the foundation cracked or is otherwise unstable. But that statement could mean any number of things.

How often do rollercoasters need to be shut down for a long period of time on a planned basis? It may be that it is getting within the time frame for a normal long term shutdown of the ride so they are putting out for bid to fix yeti at the same time.

So does anyone here know for sure what is wrong with it. The two most plausible rumors I heard, was a cracked foundation and lack of lubrication on the joints at initial start up.

I heard, from my AK CM friend, that the foundation/mountain itself is not strong enough for the Yeti audio-animatronic. They realized this shortly after opening... Maybe he could lose a few pounds? :rotfl:

I would think if it were joints that wore/seized due to no lubrication that the fix would be relativly easy. Because Joints should be expected to wear over time no matter how well they are lubed so there shold be a way to replace them designed into it.

My gut is it is the foundation cracked or is otherwise unstable. But that statement could mean any number of things.

How often do rollercoasters need to be shut down for a long period of time on a planned basis? It may be that it is getting within the time frame for a normal long term shutdown of the ride so they are putting out for bid to fix yeti at the same time.

I don't remember the last time EE has been closed longer than a day or 2. It's creeping up on 7 years this month, seems like the perfect time for a Yeti fix along with other minor wear and tear repair!

I say Hallelujah. As much as PP's and I dislike Joe Rhode, EE is one of my favorites. I must admit that it hasn't been the same since the first time I rode it though. That last turn with the Yeti swiping at you was a nice finishing effect. :wizard:

100 Points for you!! :rolleyes1

The MOVING Yeti causes problems and the whole foundation would be ruined... To fix it the ride actually has to be removed.

No way to do it afterhours, sorry! Ride incl TRACK would have to be removed...

Correct me if I am wrong but after watching several documentaries about EE the mountain, coaster, and Yeti are separate and distinct structures. One is not tied to the other.
I am sure the entire track would not have to be removed for repairs. For all we know there may be a way to lift it out . . . .

Correct me if I am wrong but after watching several documentaries about EE the mountain, coaster, and Yeti are separate and distinct structures. One is not tied to the other.
I am sure the entire track would not have to be removed for repairs. For all we know there may be a way to lift it out . . . .

You are correct that the structures are separate, but due to the close proximity they would share the same foundation.

Without knowing what the exact problem is its imposable to know what type of fix would be required.

My assumption would be that due to the crazy awesome hydraulic power that is required to get that bad boy to move at the speed it does resulted in stress on the (shared) foundation being more then they had expected.

I would love to see it fixed, but I have my doubts it will come back as it once was. This does not mean they can't add something similar.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter