I did hear

Discussion in 'Disney Rumors and News' started by thepoohguy, Jan 9, 2013.

1. etemplet

etemplet Mouseketeer

If Disney can't fix something as simple as that, I'd have to laugh.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. HerRoyalHighness

HerRoyalHighness Earning My Ears

Add a new yeti in another location...then chop this one off at the ankles

4. nuts

nuts Lover of Disney, Family Guy, and all around good p

Ain't nuthin simple about the engineering behind the Yeti.

5. Spacedog1975

Spacedog1975 Mouseketeer

Most people don't even know that Yeti is supposed to do anything differently. I can't see this as being a priority if it means ride closure.

6. Dsnyfireman

Dsnyfireman Mouseketeer

I can't imagine that the foundation would be so bad that it can't take a moving yeti, and still stand up to the ride train moving at 45 or 50 miles an hour. Think how much stress that train puts on things. If it was unsafe for yeti I wouldn't want to ride it! Of coarse the only time I did ride it I never saw any yeti..... My eyes were closed!!!! Not my kind of ride I guess. I'll stick to space mountain or maybe CoP!!! Hope they fix it soon though.

7. OldsDr

OldsDr DIS Veteran

This is the main point; this ride still is one of the biggest draws in AK. So the Yeti is not that important to most people, at least not enough to affect their ride habbits.

The questions Disney is asking and answering by doing nothing about it is.

"Will fixing the Yeti draw more people to AK?" Or "is the cost of fixing the Yeti going to be recouped up by increased attendance" As much as I hate the answer (and the question for being the reason for fixing or not fixing it) it seems to be no. They do not think it will draw more people to AK, so why spend the money.

8. OKW Lover

OKW Lover Retired and living 2 miles from The Castle. DIS Lifetime Sponsor

I'm a little confused - but that's nothing new. :confused3

After reading the posts to date I don't know if the job being bit out is the actually fix the Yeti or to figure out a fix for the Yeti.

9. cmash95

cmash95 a princess at heart

the yeti and the mountain have separate foundations. It's the foundation under the yeti that needs to be replaced not the mountain or track itself. However for this to happen the estimates I have heard is that the ride would have to be down for close to a year because it would take that long to poor a new foundation as well as make the yeti workable and install it all propperly.

10. johnnycake

johnnycake Earning My Ears

If they do fix it wonder if they will have on that show where they fix big complicated things

11. skier_pete

skier_pete None

You must not have much knowledge of engineering. I am sure it could be fixed, but it realistically could be a 6-9 month job, even working double shifts. The hit Disney would take closing it would be huge. THIS is what's holding it up, not that they can't figure it out.

My guess is if Avatar comes in, they "might" be willing to take EE down for long enough to fix it, but probably not right away. I'm guessing at least 5 years before Betty is moving again.

12. monorailrabbit

monorailrabbit Rabbits Rabbits Everywhere!

I do have to say I was a bit underwhelmed by the ride overall, even more so because when we went the yeti wasn't working, although I'm not sure that would have made THAT big of a diff. There was some documentary I watched (I think it was on Netflix) talking about the "preventative maintenance" they did on both the Yeti and the dinosaurs in Dinosaur... I noticed some of the Dinos weren't moving in that ride either... but I'm guessing that is a totally different type of problem? It just seems like their maintenance didn't do a whole lot of good.. :upsidedow

13. Q-man

Q-man DIS Veteran

I don't buy the foundation issue with modern technology unless there is no room to work. Foundation repair companies fix a house foundation in a week or so.

14. Tonka's Skipper

Tonka's Skipper DIS Veteran

My guess it more that they have finially found the fix and have detailed plans and job reqiurements to do the repairs. They are biding out as usual for a construction company to do the repairs. Disney does not have their own construction firms.

AKK

15. Mike2023

Mike2023 DIS Veteran

The room is limited for sure,

Also keep in mind that the foundation for a house is much different then whats needed for something the size of this that shifts its weight at very high speeds. The lateral forces would be extremely high, unlike a house that just sits there.

16. lockedoutlogic

lockedoutlogic DIS Veteran

It's not a "pretty darned good coaster"...its a mild amusement park ride.
    Not terribly exciting, not the worst.

Disney has to build something better than this for 200 million and a 2-3 year construction schedule. That's the point.

I know they are in love with "mountains"...which seems ironic considering the ground and height restrictions in florida...but they probably should go a different route moving forward...

rock n roller coaster might be the most overall effective coaster disney has ever built (not including the matterhorn - which is the godfather - and honorable mention to Space in France - which i love) and was done so comparatively quickly and cost effectively.

More of that please...especially if they are gonna man up and build something decent off of star wars.

17. TheDisDork

TheDisDork Welcome Home

All issues of quality aside, I found the idea of the fix taking place after Avatarland one of the more logical possibilities proposed.

It's well-established this is going to be a massive fix... but since Avatarland is a ways off, is it possible they could "set the stage" for the fix in the meantime? That is to say, take small steps in fixing the Yeti over time, so when the new area opens and attention is slightly diverted, they can just skip straight to the bigger elements of the solution faster?

Though personally I would love it if they just turned the Yeti into this :banana:

18. Jasonkat

Jasonkat Mouseketeer

Hello hello sorry baby I can't move a thing
    I haven't been serviced in a while you see, see
    But but it's ok there's a flashing light on me
    Sorry if you wanted more it's only Disney
    It's only Disney
    It's only Disney
    What more than a strobe would you expect at Disney?

Disco Yeti is my name this mountain's where I stay
    I used to be ferocious now I'm just a display
    They said they had some plans for me they'd put me on TV
    But they hung me on the wall like Mickey's hunting trophy

Stopped moving not proving Disney's expertise anymore
    Imagineers build what engineers ignore
    Bob Iger's got tigers, rhinos, and giraffes by the score
    So what's he need a working mythical beast for?

So ride if you want but there's no more motion
    You're just gonna find a mannequin
    Been fried since they ended my promotion
    Left me behind a mannequin
    More meets and greets and some brand new suites
    So that no one will mind the mannequin
    Cause I'm stuck from above and I'm getting no love
    An expensive kind of mannequin

Pleasure Island died when they took down the fences
    Imagination's now a ride about the senses
    But soon you won't be bothered by my disco dancin'
    They'll block my moves by building a pin trading station
    Pin trading station
    Pin trading station
    Inside my ride they'll build a new pin trading station

19. Mike2023

Mike2023 DIS Veteran

rock n roller coaster, really? RR, EE, and space mountain are all made by Vekoma. I would only credit disney for the theme of the rides.

While I agree there good rides I don't think thats the point of disney. If you want Vekoma rides, go to six flags.

I think disney should get back to designing there own ride systems. Being innovative, and leading the industry.

20. lockedoutlogic

lockedoutlogic DIS Veteran

I know Verona built the rides...and I'm not advocating hurlamatics in EPCOT...

What I AM saying is that Disney can't misuse what little bullets they have to fire.

I was a "guest" during cast previews at Animal Kingdom in March of 1998 - before it opened.
    It had hardly anything in it. Bugs,safari, ctx and the boat ride to nowhere..

Now where are we?
    The same with a bad raft ride, a new Chinese restaurant, and the mountain of embarrassment.

I think they should rename it "K2"...and make that the new breakdown code property wide.

And no...it's not the worst ride. It's a decent little drop and speed. I wish it was a replacement for big thunder - to be honest.
    But that's irrelevant.

It took 200 million bucks of capital and/or debt for that. And they never had any intention o paying one cent. We do.

And they have yet to do anything else...that's 8 years and 80 million ticks at the gates.

The tickets when AK opened where about 48 bucks...now they are just a tad more. As in double.

So if goofy joe rhode can take 20 people to Nepal for "cultural study" to build queue buildings and a fiberglass shell for a rollercoaster...then the engineering inside needs to not suck.

Gotta be better...that's the point. They need to build something other than a people mover/flat ride that isn't plagued by massive problems.
    Test tract...nope
    Mission space...nope
    Everest...nope.

If these things were a little more frequent...I probably wouldn't care.

Do or do not...there is no "try"

21. bom_noite

bom_noite <font color=blue>DVC-Trivia Contest - April, 2006:

Locked is right - it is a good coaster - not great but fun. Certainly EE was needed in the park. And, I feel they did a GREAT - NO - a FANTASTIC job of making a 200 foot piece of Concrete look like Everest! Something I love to look and stare at!

Attention to detail is what has set Disney parks from the others (though many have caught up). But, in other posts I have asked: Does the attention to detail hold them back? In other words, did the damn Yeti have to be the focal point of the story to begin with?

I have rode the thing 20 times - never walked off and said: LOVE THE STORY! I loved the thrill - the ride. They did 50 things right. I think they achieved what they were after with or without the Yeti!

They most likely spent 10% of the budget on the silly Yeti and it is now an embarrassment. If it is not fixed, they are thumbing their nose at all of us that pay for this stuff. Unfortunately, the fix, no matter what it is will end up costing us in new rides, new reasons to go.

Here is what WILL NOT HAPPEN TOMORROW when I read the financial news: Disney has announced that they will take a $50 Million hit on the Yeti and build the thing right and profits will suffer. Are you nuts? Would cost them Millions in bonus money?

Far more embarrassing, IMHO, is walking through Epcot and seeing empty buildings, buildings desperately needing new carpet / a fresh paint job and landscaping which is under-loved!

Currently on these boards we are discussing Carsland, Avatar, Monster Inc. Coaster and a theoretical Australia expansion to the AK. We deserve all of them - we may be stuck with Avatar, a shoppers paradise in Fantasyland, no paint at Epcot and increased ticket prices.

In the last 10 years Universal and Sea World have outspent Disney on R&D, new rides, new attractions. Despite that WDW out-draws them 5 to 1 combined in attendance. And the guys in Burbank actually puzzle over why attendance numbers are flat?

I just got done watching a YouTube with Joe Rhode talking about the AK. He talked about how management cut the park in half. But, it means they have tons of extra land to build on. Where do they build Avatar? On existing land with existing infrastructure so it saves them from expanding. And, we the guest lose a popular show and a nice shady Character area for the kids.

Many here snub there nose at the Six Flags of the world - I do understand why - not the same Disney experience. Regardless, these folks spend the money and consistently pump out new rides every other year. That is why my family in Atlanta get 4 AP's each year - at virtually the same price as one WDW AP!

Sorry to all for the rambling diatribe - I love WDW but - darn it you guys who run this thing: WAKE UP!