• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I can't exercise!

Molly Meow

programonmyAppleIIeforfun
I just joined WISH! I need some advice - due to a temporary (at least another 6 months) medical condition, I am not allowed to exercise. I seriously need to lose weight as I weigh almost 300 lbs. I'm not even allowed to walk for more than 5 minutes at a time.

I'm not sure how to eat better than I already am. I really watch portion control, and I'm counting calories. The only advice my doctor had was to go to a dietician, which my insurance won't cover.

Oh, and I need to do this all without spending a dime. I am way past broke.

Is there anyone out there that can help me? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I think on of the most sensible programs is Weight Watchers. I know that they have information on their program online. Even if you can't afford to go to the meetings in your town, you could probably find alot of info out from their web site. Probably others here on WISH will jump in with more info for you. Good luck and welcome to WISH.

how about yoga? are you allowed to try that? it's hard to give any ideas - like you are totally on a rest-only state??

I have been on WW for over a year now and love the flexibility of the program. Dr. Phil's book is awesome too - very very realistic

Sending much PD to you -- you have taken the first and hardest step on your journey to a healthy YOU! congratulations! first step - think positive -- you CAN DO THIS! you WILL be successful!

Another vote for Weight Watchers! I joined 3 weeks ago and I really love it! The leader and the members are so supportive and the plan makes sense!

Also, another vote for Yoga...at least to get some movement until you are able to exercise.

You are in my prayers for your medical condition!

I sincerely appreciate all of your advice, and thanks so much for the kind words!

As far as the medical condition goes, I have a tear in my uterine wall, and have been told NO exercising. I asked my doctor about yoga, he said absolutely not.

I really really want to join Weight Watchers. One of my friends had huge success with them a couple of years ago. The only problem is, I really can't afford to sign up, whether to attend meetings or online. I read on another thread that it was free online, but that is incorrect, unfortunately.

I've heard about Dr. Phil's book - I'm trying to find someone who owns one that I can borrow.

Thanks again for all the kind words and advice! I'm gonna keep trying and not give up! :D

Hi Molly,
I'm glad you're joining us here at WISH. There are a lot of different plans out there, and if you read the journals at the top of WISH you can see how we go about getting healthier. As for me, I don't get a lot of exercise but I ride my bike outdoors a few days a week and take walks now and then. That's about all I can handle.
I tried many different diets over the years. I have thyroid problems, and it is difficult for me to lose weight even though I don't feel I overeat. The only plan that has worked for me at all is low carbing. It does cost more to eat this way because of the protein and fresh veggies. If the portion control and calorie counting doesn't seem to be working for you, try something else. But whatever you try, driink A LOT OF WATER. You need at least 8 to 10 glasses a day. This will also help to cut your appetite.
Again, welcome to WISH and good luck. Check back here often and you'll get lots of support.
Nancy
:wave2: :wave2:

Welcome to WISH, Molly. I hope you are 100% better and able to exercise soon.

I want to WISH you success. You have made a great first step in gaining control of you by declaring that you intend to do this.
It is not easy, but you can do it. Until you can begin an exercise program, try changing portion sizes and instead of 3 square meals eat 6-3 partial portions through the day to help curb your appetite and fool your body.

As mentioned water, water, water.

A great place to track your eating nutrition is FitDay.com. While this may be a bit labor intensive as you learn how to navigate, it is a free program and will do wonders monitoring your calories and nutrition.

Keep on keepin' on. You can do it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter