I actually met a real, live pool hopper!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by goofy4tink
To all of you out there who feel some of us 'need a life' so to speak (my words, not yours!). Does it ruin my vacation if someone is poolhopping and shouldn't be? No. Do I go and report them? No. But........if I'm paying Polynesian prices for Polynesian amenities, then why should I have to put up with gangs of teen-agers in the main pool, who are just hopping on the monorail and hopping to all the pools? On the day this happened, the volcano pool was chock-a-block full of people. You could barely move. We never saw a CM ask any kids for ID's. We were there when the kids entered and when they left saying they were on their way to GF pool. Were they DVC'rs? Possibly. But I don't think they were ever asked for IDs. That's my gripe.

I always obey the "rules" of the resort at which my family and I are vacationing; I think EVERYONE ELSE [like THIS is gonna happen!] should too! I don't have so much a problem with other WDW guests pool-hopping, as I do with "outsiders" who aren't even staying on-site and using WDW resort amenities....goofy4tink has a very valid point - why should a guest, paying $79/nite at AS, be allowed to swim at WL, for $189+/nite?? Part of what you are paying for IS the priviledge to use that particular resort's amenities, the pool being one of them. Maybe each resort can post a large sign specifying that the pool is for use by GUESTS ONLY and that there will be random ID verification(Not that the resort would actually enforce it!) If it is stated in plain view, then those who make an honest mistake [under the assumption that it IS allowed] will not be tempted to pool-hop.... :rolleyes:

(Just MHO ~ okay "soapbox speech" over!:duck: )

Originally posted by wdwdvcdad
instead of shooting them, we could throw them into the volcano at the poly! no muss, no fuss!

:earseek:

Hello from the Delta!!

The cable guy was here yesterday and worked on our internet connection, and it seems we have lost all of our previous settings. Anyway, so that my daughter (vintagegal) and I could have separate monikers (she likes to post on the teen board) I chose an old Doobie Brothers song for myself. Now we are back up and running. Anyway, back to the subject, we stay in the cabins in the campground and pay just as much as those in the deluxe resorts for our stay (approximately--don't flame me over that!) I have always encouraged others to come to the campfire program. Heaven forbid that tooooo many folks showed up and there would be a fight for first rights to the marshmallow roast for our s'mores! I can see it now- ID bands issued for campfire program and movie. Those not adhering to the rules must immediately surrender their roasting sticks and marshmallows and exit the campground. After all, we MUST stick to the rules, right?

I guess if you look at the the great scheme of things it doesn't really matter, does it?

But I do not see a problem with pool hopping(have not done it unless you count when we swim at the resort that other family members are staying/swimming at when we are staying at a different resort).

As long as the pool is not overcrowded why should it matter as long as you are staying at a WDW resort to hop over and visit another resort who knows maybe you will like it so much that next visit you will stay at that resort.

Besides unless you hear someone saying that they are pool hopping how would you know?

Mal

If we get to use amenities based on price. Does someone paying rack rates at a deluxe get first dibs on the amenities over someone paying with an AP or AAA or other discount?

I'm not saying I pool hop, its actually never occured to me, to much hassle to drag my bathing suit and crud around. But if we're basing it just on price alone, heck there are different prices people are paying at the same hotel.

:)

Originally posted by Maleficent2
But I do not see a problem with pool hopping(have not done it unless you count when we swim at the resort that other family members are staying/swimming at when we are staying at a different resort).

Yeah, that counts as "pool hopping" (why would it not?)

But putting a different spin on things, how would you feel if you were at FW and couldn't find a seat at the campfire program or space at the beach to watch the fireworks at night due to others from other resorts. I have seen posts re: complaints about too many people showing up at the Poly, GF, etc. for fireworks showing and that it was too crowded because people were there who should not have been. Isn't this also encouraged? I have read ( and I don't have any quotes) but that it is nice to eat at a certain restaurant at the Poly, then walk out and watch the water parade, etc. Yes, I know this thread is about pool hopping, but it seems that I read several complaints from people concerning folks from FW at the WL swimming in the pools. Are there also people from WL attending any of the offerings at FW? Sorry, but that is just my spin on things. Just for the record, I have never pool hopped, nor has any member of my family. I do teach my children to go by the rules and hope that they learn for the future. I thought this thread was just for fun and have laughed at some of the posts. I guess here in Mississippi we see things differently. That is part of our Southern charm. We simply smile and go on.

Pool hopping really doesn't bother me too much, I have never found the pools too crowded yet. What I don't understand is why you would pool hop? Every resort has one or more pools, why not just use the one you are staying at? I can understand wanting to try SAB, it is like a waterpark (I have not been there before, just what I hear). We have enjoyed every pool we stayed at from All Star to the Poly.:)

In 1998 hubby and I stayed at ASM while my parents stayed at the BC. Hubby and I couldn't afford the BC but we were going with my parents who hadn't been since 1983. My father was handicapped and the BC was perfect for them. We swam with then every day. Did so because it was a family trip and one of the last with my Dad before he passed away (terminal disease). Going back to Disney was a dream for them and they wouldn't have done it without us. Dad was on dialysis and Mom needed us to help drive him over to the hospital three days during the week for treatments.

I guess reading this thread I broke the rules. And I'd do it again as I've still got the picture of us on my desk at work and it was one of my favorite trips to Disney ever.

BTW we'll be at FW May 19th for 9 nights. We will NOT be doing any pool hopping. My 16 y/o daughter says the pool at FW is fine. But you will know us when you see us. My daughter will be the one helping the elderly woman onto a bus, my son will be holding the door open (I hope all those cotillion lessons paid off!), and I will be giving my seat up on the bus for the tired mom with the baby across her shoulders. I was raised that way, and I am raising my own the same way. And I will really enjoy riding Dumbo during EMH with my grandson ( no, he doesn't belong to my 16 y/o's), and it will never even cross my mind about who is in which pool. I hope you all have fun at Disney. I know we will.

I guess I have broken the rules too. Back in 1995 we stayed in a Deluxe Resort for the first time, the Contemporary. At that time their main pool was closed for renovations and I was very disappointed we weren't told about this before our arrival. I called the front desk and complained and was told we could use the pool at the Wilderness Lodge or the Polynesian. So everyday we took the boat over to the Wilderness Lodge and swam for an hour or so. No one checked our resort ID nor was the pool overcrowded.

Since then we have not pool hopped and use our own resort's swimming pools. But I also don't spend my valuable vacation/family time trying to figure out just who is pool hopping, using a different resort's mug or who has too many people in one room. But that is just me.

When I stayed at the YC in 1996..the pool was all open and you could access it from many points..went back in 97 and they had gated the pool off and at the openings, they had CM's there to check your room key and make sure you were a hotel guest. I haven't stayed there since, and they don't do it at WL...I told my DH that too many people must have been using the pool from other resorts.

I have to admit we allowed our seven year old to pool hop
as well. We were staying at the AKL during the first
week of December & while visiting the Boardwalk
we allowed him to swim for an hour in the pool
one afternoon. We had stayed there previously
but he did not remember it from our past trip.
There were 6 other people in the pool with
him so he really didn't get in anyone's way!!!
The lifeguards seemed aware that we
were not from the hotel as we got him
dressed & undressed right in the
bathroom & no one said a word about it.

I feel (and I know I am in the minority here!) that
if it is off season & the pool is not crowded then
it shouldn't be a problem to allow guests from
other WDW resorts to pool hop (perhaps making
an exception for Stormalong Bay which can get
crowded). It's a nice way to check out the resorts
to see if it is where you might want to stay on your
next trip down! Maybe they will start adding a
'pool hopping coupon' into their off season packages
to allow resort guests a one time only pool hopping
priviledge lol.....

Laurie
earsboy:

Before reading posts about pool-hopping on these boards, it would never have occurred to me that the over crowded pools were from pool hoppers. When I was unable to find chairs at SAB and Poly, I blamed it on Disney not having a large enough area for chairs based on the size of the YC/BC and Poly. I guess the problem could have been "pool hoppers".

I will be staying at the Poly this summer. Will I be on the look out for pool hoppers? Hopefully, I have better things to worry about. However, it will be another issue if DH and I can't find chairs (kids will be in the pool). It sounds like Disney is now aware that the issue is becoming more pronounced and public (probably thanks to these boards) and will take some type of action. If not, I'll have my whistle ready with initials on my tank top "PHP" for Pool Hopper Police! (Just kidding!)

Originally posted by sweet maxine
Hello from the Delta!!

The cable guy was here yesterday and worked on our internet connection, and it seems we have lost all of our previous settings. Anyway, so that my daughter (vintagegal) and I could have separate monikers (she likes to post on the teen board) I chose an old Doobie Brothers song for myself. Now we are back up and running. Anyway, back to the subject, we stay in the cabins in the campground and pay just as much as those in the deluxe resorts for our stay (approximately--don't flame me over that!) I have always encouraged others to come to the campfire program. Heaven forbid that tooooo many folks showed up and there would be a fight for first rights to the marshmallow roast for our s'mores! I can see it now- ID bands issued for campfire program and movie. Those not adhering to the rules must immediately surrender their roasting sticks and marshmallows and exit the campground. After all, we MUST stick to the rules, right?

I guess if you look at the the great scheme of things it doesn't really matter, does it?

The campfire program is open to all guests, even ones that are not even staying onsite. Personally I don't think that is fair but that is the rule. So that is much different then the rules regarding the pools. There are signs all over the place staying you must be a guest of that particular resort. It is on a paper in your room. I find it hard to believe that some people pretend to be that stupid to not know the rules now a days. Unless one is illiterate then they know exactly what they are doing.

Originally posted by Smcgibeau
If we get to use amenities based on price. Does someone paying rack rates at a deluxe get first dibs on the amenities over someone paying with an AP or AAA or other discount?

I'm not saying I pool hop, its actually never occured to me, to much hassle to drag my bathing suit and crud around. But if we're basing it just on price alone, heck there are different prices people are paying at the same hotel.

You get to use the amenities not based on price but based on the hotel you are staying at. Such a simple concept yet there are those that insist they have the right to go where ever they please. Really is pathetic.

Originally posted by Smcgibeau

It's not about using amenities based on price. It's about using the amenties at the resort you pay to stay at. There are signs at each pool stating Use of This Pool is For Guests of This Resort. What price you pay for the room is irrelevant.

The Sign does not say This Pool is For Everyone. I truely do not have a problem with people who have done this in the past and did not know. I do have a problem with people after Knowing it's not allowed, think the rule does not pertain to them because they don't want it to.

Personally I have no idea why people pool hop at all. If you like the pool just stay there. Why is that so difficult?

If I want to sample the food of a particular restaurant I just go there.

I think all of the unofficial police on the dis should check for room keys as they walk around on the water at the pools. That would really help everyone out.;)

Originally posted by wdwdvcdad
I think all of the unofficial police on the dis should check for room keys as they walk around on the water at the pools. That would really help everyone out.;)

Why is expressing one's opinion about following rules deemed to be the police? Is is that these same folks are the ones that don't follow the rules and therefore feel the need to call the ones that do follow the rules names? I have not seen one post here that someone has stated that they turn in someone for doing this or that. Not one. Yet you feel the need to babble something about the unofficial police. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter