I actually met a real, live pool hopper!!!

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by goofy4tink, Apr 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goofy4tink

goofy4tink No tags...not needed! Transportation moderator Moderator

Well guys....there are people out there that really do think there is no problem doing this. I was visiting my m-i-l yesterday. We took a drive over to visit her s-i-l who is going to WDW this week. So, Aunt C. and I start talking about all things Disney, of course. She's a fanatic too. Well, she says she can't forget her Disney bag. Her bag that goes everywhere with her. It has her bathing suit and towel and other important stuff in it. When I asked her why she carried her suit everywhere with her she said..."Oh, when we get hot and tired we just go on over to the closest pool and swim." When I asked her if she had ever been asked to leave by a CM, she looked at me like I had two heads. "Never." she replied. When I told her that really was frowned upon, she was quite taken aback!! Said she's always done it and they've been going to WDW since it opened!! When I told her that it wasn't allowed, she said "Well, we'll see what happens this time. But, we love the pool at the Polynesian, so we're planning on taking the group over there to try it out." Yikes!!! There are 13 of them going. They're staying at FW cabins. So, I apologize for my 'out-laws'. I tried to tell them, but to no avail. This is the first time I've run into someone who actually does this.

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. Geoff_M

Geoff_M DIS Veteran, DVC Member, "Cum Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

I did too... and it's sorta my "fault". A co-worker of mine took his family to WDW over this Spring Break. I provided lots of research material for him to read over and spent a several stretches in his offfice giving him advice. Upon his return I was eager to see how things went. They stayed at the BC and had a great time there. He recounted to me what they did. One day he said "We took a break from MK and walked over to the CR for a swim." I did a double take and asked him if I heard him correctly. He said "Yeh, we packed our suits and went over there for a swim around lunch time and ate at the CR counter service restaurant." I told him that pool hopping was a "No, no" at WDW. He then said "But I got the idea from you. You said it was OK!" I then realized that he must have confused what I said when I was telling him about the advantages of our belonging to DVC during one of our "Disney World 101" sessions!

4. maryliz

maryliz <font color=990099>The Whoosh Fairy RULEs, the Blo

My guess on the situation ... when Disney first opened, it was quite accepted to pool hop. I have fond memories of swimming at the Contemporary when we were camping at FW (and believe me, the pool was nothing but a rectangle :p ). I figure that because this was allowed back then, she probably never heard that it was no longer allowed. After all, why would you ask when you've always known it to be the rule, and you don't spend time here on our great Dis boards. I can totally see how this happens. Now that you've "enlightened" her, you'd kind of hope that she would mention it at her own front desk upon check-in so that she would hear the "revised rules" from the CM's. Good for you for trying, but unless she gets caught, she'll probably continue to do this.

Mary Liz

5. Ratpack

Ratpack WL VET DVC Gold

We met one last summer at our neighborhood pool. They were friends of our neighbors but live in another section of the neighborhood. We got to talking about Disney since they had just gotten back and we were leaving in a few weeks. They said you really have to try Stormalong Bay. I said that we weren't staying there and wouldn't be able and they said just go over, they allow you to swim where you want. :mad:

6. Kimberle

Kimberle WL Vet

I met one too!!

We'd just gotten to WL last Sept. The first thing dd wanted to do was swim! We'd just gotten settled around the kiddie pool. A lady started chatting with me.

"Are you staying here?" "Yes", I was taken aback because you are only suppost to swim where you stay. "We're staying at the campgrounds" said she....:eek:

7. dylansdad

dylansdad <a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ

Nah, no such thing, wont believe it till i see photo proof:rolleyes:

8. BrianMonk

BrianMonk <a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ

I'm wondering how I'll know if I meet one?

Do they have 3 eyes? A lot of hair growing out of one nostril? Do they regularly shower or just use to pool(s)?

I've been told you really haven't lived until you've met one so it's on my "must do" list for WDW.

Thanks in advance for the help.:wave:

9. HoosierFantasia

HoosierFantasia Growing older but not up......

I imagine the Disney policy is to not upset the herd unless there is a overcrowding problem. Then maybe.
    In Las Vegas they definitely don't want you pool hopping. And to avoid this they have someone checking room keys at the entrance to the pools. Now paying someone to verify is making sure it doesn't happen.
    But, thats just my opinion.
    I wouldn't do it because it seems like it would be just a hassle.

Bill

10. PamNC

PamNC DIS Veteran

I work with a girl who went about 3 weeks ago. She stayed at POP century but swam at the Swan/Dolphin. Bad girl!!!!!

Pool Hopping should be punishable by Disney-law. Subject to get you thrown out on your ears. Mouse ears that is.

PamNC

11. MickeyisanNDfan

MickeyisanNDfan Mouseketeer

If You didn't read these boards and the endless threads about "pool hopping" Would you know it wasn't allowed?

12. Grumpy37

Grumpy37 Mouseketeer

You mean, besides the sign that says the pool is reserved for paying Polynesian guests only?

:p

13. McCall

McCall DIS Veteran

I would think signs that say Pool is for guests of this resort only would give them a clue.

14. edcrbnsoul

edcrbnsoul <font color=darkred>Don't let a bag of Poo become

I also did this back in the "day" when this was allowed. :wave:
    There was only the 4 resorts back then. So it wasnt so much of I'm at this park I'll just use this pool mentality it was just one of the perks to staying onsite. I'll take my 3 three eyed web toed self back into the ooze which I came now ;) .

15. Grumpy'sMom

Grumpy'sMom <font color=9999FF>I promise to never take my towe

I just have a question - are pool-hoppers born with three eyes and web toes or do they get that way from pool hopping????:tongue:

16. HeatherAnn23

HeatherAnn23 <font color=red>Forget the Untouchables...I'm a me

Wow - and I thought only us Oregonian's had webbed feet!! So, how do I know the difference between an Oregonian and a pool-hopper - or am I genetically destined to be a pool hopper???:eek:

17. Disney's Deluxe Princess

Disney's Deluxe Princess Mouseketeer

We were riding the bus from AK to WL one hot summer's day. We saw this family was carrying their beach attire with them. They started talking to us and mentioned that they were staying at Port Orleans, but they liked to swim at the WL. I figured that maybe they were DVC and staying at PO for the night or something. I asked the mom if she belonged to DVC and if she liked it? She says, "DVC?", "What's that"?. :rolleyes: I didn't bother to explain or tell her pool hopping wasn't allowed. We saw them later having a good ol' time in the WL pool.

18. Poohbear123

Poohbear123 <font color=CCCC00>Will travel without lipstick<br

I have a "friend" that does this......she drives from another town close by, with DD, and goes to whatever Pool she wants to go in, except the Contemporay and Poly. In fact, last week, she went to WL and let her DD swim in that pool, and it started to rain....really heavy, so I told her she got punished.:tongue:

19. goofy4tink

goofy4tink No tags...not needed! Transportation moderator Moderator

Ed, you're just plain ole bad!!! Yes, I think this lady also went on the same 'day' that you did when it was allowed. I don't think she's been back to the world for about 10 years. But, even tho I told her the policy I think she'll have to see the posted warnings herself. Three-eyed, webb-toed people....what next you guys??!!:rolleyes:

20. BrianMonk

BrianMonk <a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ

Wonderful for that family.

Unless a pool is overly crowded, life's too short to get wrapped up in the fact someone is getting a perk you're not without paying for it.

I even let the annoying little critters (not to be confused with the enjoyable kids) in the neighborhood swim in our own pool when we're in it.

If it's really crowded, I'd have to think complaints would register with the Hotel Mgt.

21. wdwdvcdad

wdwdvcdad DIS Veteran

AMEN!!!! Too many people seem to be so wrapped in other peoples' lives that it interferes with their enjoyment of their own.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.