HS Freshman forgets to turn in homework

Discussion in 'Community Board' started by tink fan, May 2, 2013.

1. Ephany

Ephany DIS Veteran

I was thinking a watch alarm? I know most kids don't wear them, but it's not as likely to be confiscated as a phone.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. usnuzuloose

usnuzuloose DIS Veteran

Does he have a notebook with the clear cover in front? If so he can put the homework in that part so it is in front of him when he pulls out the notebook and see it and remember to turn it in.

4. PizzieDuster

PizzieDuster DIS Veteran

Dear OP,

Both my sons went to a catholic private school 40 minutes drive away!!! For mom, that's an 1 hour and 30 min drive back and forth....after dropping them off already.

The first time they forgot something was the last. I am a post it addict also! :thumbsup2 I had post its up, signs up, etc. I even had a post it on the dashboard.."get it or forget it". Most of the time it was "I forgot my cleats!" "I forgot the form" :furious: We car pooled. My girlfriend once had to drive from work (an HOUR away) to drop off something my son left in her car. :lovestruc She never let that happen again :laughing:

As freshman they were sooooo scared of everything at that school. By sophomore year, they knew when the deans were out checking hair length. :rolleyes:

He'll get the hang of it. I know their school told us...we are here to help...if your student needs help...our teachers are to respond immediately to emails, calls, etc. Anything. I once had to have my oldest son have his teachers sign his planner. He was in love ~ don't even get me started with that!

5. Erin1700

Erin1700 <font color=purple>At least I am bragging about us

Must be a Catholic school thing because I did that too. My parents came home from parents night fuming mad because 2 teachers told them I was missing assignments. I immediately went to my folder and gave them to my mom. I think that made her more angry. Ha! I remember after that, my biology teacher used to ask for my folder twice a week. She would page thru "this is mine" "this is mine".
    I grew out of it.

6. kate_wdw

kate_wdw DIS Veteran

Tink Fan, if I were you, I would sit down with him and have him break this down for each class.

How does the teacher collect the homework?
    -If he/she asks for it verbally, does he hear this? If no, why not? If yes, what does he do next/instead?

If students are responsible for turning homework in on their own (putting it on the teacher's desk or passing it forward)
    -Does he notice when other students are turning in their homework? If no, why not? If yes, what does he do next/instead?

Like PPs have mentioned, I'd also talk to him about making this a part of his routine and strategize about how he can remember to do this. For example, saying to himself "turn in your homework" or "did you turn in your homework" every time he walks in or out of the doorway of the classroom, or putting a reminder note or a sticker or a symbol that will trigger him to think about his homework where he'll see it at the start of every class (like on a notebook).

7. NotUrsula

NotUrsula DIS Veteran

Fine if the teacher normally gets assignments turned in via a physical mailbox before school starts, but if it needs to be turned in during class, the bolded could cause more problems than it solves for a forgetful kid, especially if he had any issues with being uncoordinated. Most hs kids go to their locker and homeroom before going to their classes, so there are a large number of opportunities to lose something being hand-carried before it reaches the proper destination. Set it down to take off a glove?: gone. Set it down to open a door: gone. Set it down to open a locker: gone. Put it on a locker shelf while you get your books together: left in the locker.

8. indimom

indimom Are We There Yet?

I really like two suggestions in this thread! :thumbsup2

1. Using a binder with a clear cover. I'm currently in school and I use that spot to post the syllabus for each course so I always know at a glance what is coming up. I check off the assignments as I complete them. It's just a quick and easy way to see what's going on every single time I pull it out.

He could do the same with his assignments. They will be front and center as he settles into class. (No need to use one binder per class if he prefers one for all of them. He could just stack the assignments in the order of his courses. Then, as he turns one in, the next one will be staring him in the face.)

2. I also like the idea of speaking with his teachers and seeing if he can turn them in via e-mail. Even if they deducted a few point for not physically turning it in, at least the teacher can see that he's doing the work and not finishing late and fibbing about it.

I could easily see this being a problem with the way his mind works; and once the assignment is completed, it drops off his radar. If that's the case, it's just going to take time to get it right. But e-mailing the assignment could prevent more issues while he masters the skill.

Good Luck, OP. I completely feel his frustration and yours.

9. TLuvsD

TLuvsD DIS Veteran

I'd have him evaluated for Executive Function issues. If he has those issues, get an IEP in place to help him. Basically, I'd want to rule out Exec Function before moving on to other solutions (memory aids, punishments, etc).

I'd also ask the teachers (via email) how homework is collected...do they just stash it in a basket on the way in the door, does the teacher ask for it to be passed forward, do they hand it in at the end of class? Then customize a plan for each class.

Good luck, my friends deals with this (it's Exec Function in her son) and it's a tough one.

10. marcyinPA

marcyinPA <font color=blue>I'll never forget the strong, pun

My DShad problems wwith this as a freshman too. He would do the work, but would shove it into the wrong folder and then couldn't find it in class the next day. Maturity helped him a lot, but in the meantime, I would ask him evvery day if he put his papers away in the right place. I also made him clean his backpack out weekly. He had some issues with organization. He is now a senior and hasn't had any issues in a long time.