How's married life?

craedaisy12

Mouseketeer
This seems like an easy question, but is it really?

I recently got married to a wonderful man back in October. I have friends and family asking me that question. I tell them good... then I think about it.. How am I suppose to answer this...? It seems silly.

Curious to hear what you have to say!

I guess I would say like any life it comes with its highs and lows. Single, married it makes no difference. I assume you get asked that only when a marriage is new though and because it can be an adjustment, I can't recall anyone asking me that in the last 10/11 years. I also don't recall my Dh and I having an adjustment period because while we didn't live together before we were married, he lived downtown and I stayed with him every weekend for many years. We knew what we were getting ourselves into :)

Do many find it hard to adjust to married life?

I think it's just a way of making conversation. I would just say, "Great!" And then ask the person how they've been. I don't think people are really asking to hear the nitty gritty.

Not that this is the same thing exactly, but as a word of advice: if you ever happen to run into my mother, never, EVER ask her how she's doing. You'll need to clear your schedule to listen to the excruciating minutiae of her gripes and ailments. You've been warned.

I think it's just a way of making conversation. I would just say, "Great!" And then ask the person how they've been. I don't think people are really asking to hear the nitty gritty.

Not that this is the same thing exactly, but as a word of advice: if you ever happen to run into my mother, never, EVER ask her how she's doing. You'll need to clear your schedule to listen to the excruciating minutiae of her gripes and ailments. You've been warned.
Great post, and isn't it interesting that asking "how are you" or some version thereof has become a social convention when the last thing anybody really wants to know is how somebody is? :scratchin

I agree it's just a way of making conversation. Give it a few months and the question will morph into, "So, when are you going to start your family?" That's even touchier if you're having fertility problems. I had just had a miscarriage when a well-meaning but clueless friend asked that question.

You can always just say fine in a pleasant way.
I don't think people who ask questions like that are really interested, they are making conversation.

In a few months we'll have been married 36 years. Love him, he's my best friend and he still makes me laugh. :love:

I agree with others that it's usually just a casual question for newlyweds, like "Hi, how are you?"

I don't really like small talk, so I always found it a bit awkward. It always seemed to be a one word answer and then move on to another topic.

I suppose it's possible that you may have the occasional person who is genuinely curious about married life and is trying to engage you in a real conversation, but usually I don't think people really care to know (good or bad).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter