How's married life?

I know this all to well! I work in retail and customers usually give a short one word answer, ignore me, ask the same question without answering, or just start tell me their life story... I cherish the ones that really acknowledge me and sincerely answer the question.
Honestly, if I were you I'd figure out some other type of innocuous question to greet the customers with; something they will actually have to answer (even if it's just yes or no) and not something that they can then turn back and ask you. I'd go insane:crazy: if I had to do the whole "Fine thanks, how about you?" exchange a million times a day like you must. Actually I like it a lot when a cashier leads with "Hello, did you find everything you were looking for today?"

Honestly, if I were you I'd figure out some other type of innocuous question to greet the customers with; something they will actually have to answer (even if it's just yes or no) and not something that they can then turn back and ask you. I'd go insane:crazy: if I had to do the whole "Fine thanks, how about you?" exchange a million times a day like you must. Actually I like it a lot when a cashier leads with "Hello, did you find everything you were looking for today?"

I do ask that! Since I am at the front of the store I see all customers as they come in and leave. I work at a local garden center so I know customers don't shop here weekly and know where everything is in our store. I ask that question when they get to my register because if they couldn't find it in the store, its likely that we have it in our loading area where they pick it up with their car instead of hauling it around the store. And of course I get the comments about credit cards and such all the time, especially with the new chip cards. I like to chime in about how I received my new card right after I got married so I needed to change my name and everything. That turns the conversation into my wedding instead of the credit cards some more :D

It was a big adjustment for me when I got married. I lived at home until I got married at 25 and had a big family. Moving in w/DH 30 minutes from home and never having people always coming and going or the phone ringing, was a BIG adjustment for me.

When people asked I'd tell them I missed my home :-(.....Now 25 years later, I prefer the quiet.ha

Last edited:

DH always got a kick of that question - his answer was always "a lot like un-married life" (we had been dating for 6 years and living together for 4 before we got married - after our wedding we went home to our home and cats, no change).

I've been married for little more than a year and remembered getting that question a lot. My response was always, "about the same except that we're legally bound". Then I often turn the question on the person and ask them if I'm suppose to feel differently lol.

That happens for awhile when you're first married. Then it changes to "when are you going to start a family?"

For the married life question, I used to say "generally great with moments where we drive each other insane".

For the baby question I'd say "when God gives us one".

People used to ask me this after DH and I got married. I used to say, "Pretty much like the 4 years we were living together before we were married."

I see this question as an opening to chatter on at length about my husband, and his general awesomeness, so if you don't want to hear that, don't ask! Along with my wonderful children, he's one of my favourite topics of conversation.

Maybe that's why I rarely get asked this question any more. ;)

Also, I'm not sure what's supposed to be so "personal" about a short answer that implies (or openly states) you were living together before marriage. Most folks do, don't they? I don't personally know anyone who didn't... :confused3

People used to ask me this after DH and I got married. I used to say, "Pretty much like the 4 years we were living together before we were married."

I lived with my husband for about 7 months before we married and my boss was just aghast we would live together before we married. When I came back to work after our wedding, she said "now don't you feel better being married?" I told her it was much hotter living in sin :)

My husband and I were out recently and one his younger soldiers asked him what's it like being married "so long" and he said it was a good day because so far he's kept half of everything he owns...I just smiled and nodded

Last edited:
I see this question as an opening to chatter on at length about my husband, and his general awesomeness, so if you don't want to hear that, don't ask! Along with my wonderful children, he's one of my favourite topics of conversation.

Maybe that's why I rarely get asked this question any more. ;)

Also, I'm not sure what's supposed to be so "personal" about a short answer that implies (or openly states) you were living together before marriage. Most folks do, don't they? I don't personally know anyone who didn't... :confused3
We didn't. And believe me, I would have had plenty to say about "how married life was" during those first few months if I'd actually believed whoever was asking really wanted to know...

The first two months were very hectic with moving and the holidays. Our schedules didn't match up well so when people would ask I would say "it's going great! We never see each other!!" They'd ask why and I'd explain how everything was.

I lived with my husband for about 7 months before we married and my boss was just aghast we would live together before we married. When I came back to work after our wedding, she said "now don't you feel better being married?" I told her it was much hotter living in sin :)

My parents weren't cool with us doing it, either. I wasn't allowed to speak of it in front of their friends. Then we got engaged and suddenly it was totally okay! Never understood that. Because he gave me a round piece of metal with a rock on it suddenly its socially acceptable for us to be...well...ahem. ;)

I have been married to my DH for 15 years now and yes we have our ups and downs as any married couple has, but I would definitely say I have been extremely happy these 15 years of marriage.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter