How to make an easy tutu and hair bows~updated!

I'm going to try and make a tutu from these instructions for DS2 -- the directions recommend ribbon rather than a headband, although DS2 is not particularly tiny for her age (pretty much 3 ft. tall), albeit on the slender side.

That said, I'm assuming how i want to do this is to make the ribbon several inches longer than her waist, leave half of that extra length on either side uncovered by the tulle, and then tie it onto her each time she wears it?

Or is there a different/better way to do this?

I am ashamed to say I was cutting my tulle strips individually .... duh! Thanks for a great time saving tip!!!

Forgot to add that you are so kind to do this! Many of us are bow challenged and have spent money on e-books (that don't help lol). I wish I had seen this awhile back your directions are so easy to follow! Thank you soooo much!!!

I'm going to try and make a tutu from these instructions for DS2 -- the directions recommend ribbon rather than a headband, although DS2 is not particularly tiny for her age (pretty much 3 ft. tall), albeit on the slender side.

That said, I'm assuming how i want to do this is to make the ribbon several inches longer than her waist, leave half of that extra length on either side uncovered by the tulle, and then tie it onto her each time she wears it?

Or is there a different/better way to do this?

I use elastic. You can buy it prepackaged at Walmart or Joanns. You measure DD's waist (make sure you can stretch the elsatis to fit over the bum) and knot it. I just made another one quick last night for DD.

Love this info! Thanks for sharing. I have a question though, How do you heat seat the ends with a lighter? I can see myself setting it on fire!:crazy2:
Do you do this AFTER your bow is compleated? Can anyone post a picture of this being done? Do I have to "heat seal" the ends even if I starch it? Thanks so much! I have 2 lil princeses with a DW trip in a few weeks! I need to get started!!!!!! I love you dissers!!!!!!!!!:grouphug:

Love this info! Thanks for sharing. I have a question though, How do you heat seat the ends with a lighter? I can see myself setting it on fire!:crazy2:
Do you do this AFTER your bow is compleated? Can anyone post a picture of this being done? Do I have to "heat seal" the ends even if I starch it? Thanks so much! I have 2 lil princeses with a DW trip in a few weeks! I need to get started!!!!!! I love you dissers!!!!!!!!!:grouphug:

You VERY QUICKLY run over the ends with your lighter. I would try a few "practice runs" first, just to get "the feel" of it.

Yes, still heat seal the ends even if you starch it. Starching the bow just makes the bow hold its' shape.

As for a picture, I TRIED taking one, but I didn't have enough hands! I needed one hand to hold the ribbon, one to hold the lighter, plus one to take the picture. :)

I made my first tutu for my youngest last night and I was pleased with the results as was she.http://s65.photobucket.com/albums/h239/pleidelmeijer/?action=view&current=IMG_1316.jpg I'll attempt to make bows later next month. I picked the color green because she's gonna wear the tutu when we do the Pixie Hollow meet 'n greet this May and she's going as Tinkerbell. My older(10) daughter as well as the rest of us slightly older ladies(myself, DSis and BFF) will be wearing t-shirts each representing a different Pixie Hollow Fairy and DH has relented to wearing Peter Pan.

T.

DSC02115.jpg

You will need about 3 6 inch x 25 yards of tulle. This will work for about an 8 yo and younger. For older girls just buy more tulle.

Do ya'll recommend that I buy 2 65 yd rolls, like in the photo or should I buy 3 25 yd. rolls????? Thanks just want to make sure I get enough.....

I just wanted to let you know that I have been making bows like CRAZY!!!!! Thank you SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much! My lil' ones LOVE them! I will start on the matching tutu's next week!

:thumbsup2 She's really nice and her ribbons are great quality to work with. Be sure to post your creations once you get your ribbon! I'm dying to see what you make with it! :)

I got my ribbon in the mail! Strangely enough, when I got the shipping notice, I realized that she lives right here in the same town as I do! I think I'm gonna contact her and see if she sells somewhere local.

I made my first bow with this method. It's much better than any other that I've made. However, something still just wasn't right. I realized that I was actually trying to make the back of the bow the front of the bow. THAT's what was wrong. I'm gonna make another and I'll take a pic. I need to pick up some heavy starch as well. Thanks so much for the instructions!

wow, thanks, I just found this thread and I am in love with these cute simply ideas! Gotta put some money in the budget to buy materials now.

My Princess Thanks you!

I got my ribbon in the mail! Strangely enough, when I got the shipping notice, I realized that she lives right here in the same town as I do! I think I'm gonna contact her and see if she sells somewhere local.

I made my first bow with this method. It's much better than any other that I've made. However, something still just wasn't right. I realized that I was actually trying to make the back of the bow the front of the bow. THAT's what was wrong. I'm gonna make another and I'll take a pic. I need to pick up some heavy starch as well. Thanks so much for the instructions!

:thumbsup2 Post some pics!! I've been making bows like crazy for my eb@y sale and the Minnie ones are turning out especially cute!! :thumbsup2

I made a "Cinderella' tuto for our upcoming trip. My girls can wear them when we have breakfast at the Royal Table. Thanks for the great instructions!
DSC_0091.jpg
[/IMG]

How cool, I'm subbing just so I can make these for my nieces and friends with girls as presents.

I was finally able to take pics this morning. This is what I've done so far.

2009-02-0613-26-44_0014.jpg

2009-02-0613-26-51_0015.jpg

2009-02-0613-26-00_0008.jpg

2009-02-0613-25-53_0007.jpg

2009-02-0613-27-30_0021.jpg

2009-02-0613-27-05_0017.jpg

I made a tutu using these directions for DD2 -- she's tall for her age, but a 24" length was still too much. I also used too much elastic, so it's a bit loose. 1 65 yard roll was plenty.

Going to do a second one but with a shorter length. Probably use 2 25 yard rolls and add some ribbon.

Pictures to come, hopefully, soon.

My DD just turned 2 and is very petitie. I measured my tule to 28 inches. It worked well for her. Even 24 would have been fine. I did it with ribbon instead of the elastic. I figured she could wear it for awhile.

She loves it and calls it her Princess Dress!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter