How to make an easy tutu and hair bows~updated!

I actually have a wood burning tool that has a tip that will do the same thing. It works very well. Here's my question - what do you use as a base to cut your ribbon with the smoldering iron? A piece of metal or something?

I actually have a wood burning tool that has a tip that will do the same thing. It works very well. Here's my question - what do you use as a base to cut your ribbon with the smoldering iron? A piece of metal or something?

I actually made a cardboard "template" that I trace onto each piece of ribbon for the v-cuts. I found that if I cut them by hand, each v cut was different and I wanted my bows to be perfectly symmetrical.

Once I trace my v-cuts, I just cut them with a scisscors and heat seal at the end.

When you heat seal them, do you just hold the ribbon in the air? Or do you lay it down on a table? Maybe I don't understand how the smoldering iron works? Do you have to press down on the ribbon in order for it to seal?

Hi guys! Just wanted to show you all what I've been working on. My dd and I

have been having so much fun.

So here are the bows we have made:

IMG_1537.jpg

IMG_1540.jpg

IMG_1546.jpg

I just wanted to thank everyone for all of the help! :thumbsup2

IMG_1537.jpg

IMG_1540.jpg

IMG_1546.jpg

Nice job! I cant wait to get some ribbon and stuff to make some! I am going to do bows and tutus, lol

DAna

IMG_1537.jpg

IMG_1540.jpg

IMG_1546.jpg

Where did you find fairies ribbon? My DD would LOVE that!

Nice job! I cant wait to get some ribbon and stuff to make some! I am going to do bows and tutus, lol

DAna

Thanks! I'm still trying to get it right, we're almost there. It is so much fun we can't stop making them.:lmao:

Where did you find fairies ribbon? My DD would LOVE that!

Exactly what I was going to ask. :thumbsup2

I got them at Michaels. They had about three different kinds of Fairies. My dd loves them too! They also had HSM, princesses, Hanna Montana, and Cinderella. Have fun!

Ok, gang, I finally got some pictures of the loopy part of the hairbows.

Here it goes...

First, you test a single loop around your top portion of your bow. Generally, if you're using 20-24 inches of ribbon, EACH loop will be 6-7 inches.

Mine was 6 inches. Since each loop will be 6 inches, I made my ribbon 24 inches long.

Then, put a mark every 6 inches.

I then take my left end and fold it perpendicular at the 6 inch mark.

100_1895.jpg

Then, move on to the next 6 inch mark and make another perpendicular fold.

100_1896.jpg

I keep moving around my ribbon until I make 4 folds.

100_1897.jpg

100_1898.jpg

Remember to always fold and glue into the center of the bow. Be sure to leave a little space in the middle so you don't squish your loops when you center knot your bow.

Here is the bow I was working on. I just realized that I didn't upload my finished product, so in this picture my V-cuts aren't finished and the picture is horrible since I was holding the bow, but you get the idea. (and yes, that IS Minnie grosgrain ribbon)

100_1900.jpg

Ok, gang, I finally got some pictures of the loopy part of the hairbows.

Here it goes...

First, you test a single loop around your top portion of your bow. Generally, if you're using 20-24 inches of ribbon, EACH loop will be 6-7 inches.

Mine was 6 inches. Since each loop will be 6 inches, I made my ribbon 24 inches long.

Then, put a mark every 6 inches.

I then take my left end and fold it perpendicular at the 6 inch mark.

100_1895.jpg

Then, move on to the next 6 inch mark and make another perpendicular fold.

100_1896.jpg

I keep moving around my ribbon until I make 4 folds.

100_1897.jpg

100_1898.jpg

Remember to always fold and glue into the center of the bow. Be sure to leave a little space in the middle so you don't squish your loops when you center knot your bow.

Here is the bow I was working on. I just realized that I didn't upload my finished product, so in this picture my V-cuts aren't finished and the picture is horrible since I was holding the bow, but you get the idea. (and yes, that IS Minnie grosgrain ribbon)

100_1900.jpg

Linda...you should sell this as an E-book! It really makes ribbon mking look simpler! That Minnie ribbon is darling!

WHERE did you get the Minnie grossgrain ribbon? I LOVE it! NEED it!

Ijust placed a big order! Her ribbons are gorgeous! I can't wait! SQUEAL!

Ijust placed a big order! Her ribbons are gorgeous! I can't wait! SQUEAL!

:thumbsup2 She's really nice and her ribbons are great quality to work with. Be sure to post your creations once you get your ribbon! I'm dying to see what you make with it! :)

Wow- that is absolutely adorable and it looks pretty easy to do. I never would've thought about making a tutu. Thanks for posting! :)

I made my first set of bows yesterday and I have a few questions. Do most of you cover the clip with ribbon or leave it? If you cover it, how do you do it? I tried and got the hot glue everywhere. I tried attaching my bow to just the clip and it looked good. The problem was that it popped off already. Any tricks?

Thanks in advance. You guys are awesome!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter