How to lower power bill?

A reader tip on couponing to disney the other day was to use coffee filters for kids' snacks instead of paper plates, paper towels, or washing dishes. Much cheaper, they said.

A few months ago, we replaced our old A/C unit (27 years old) with a new one. I just got my power bill, and even though this June has been hotter than last June, and even though I've kept my thermostat set a little lower than normal... my energy consumption was HALF what it was 12 months ago. My bill was cut in half too!

I cannot believe what a difference it made. I hated spending the money on a new unit but it will pay for itself.

A reader tip on couponing to disney the other day was to use coffee filters for kids' snacks instead of paper plates, paper towels, or washing dishes. Much cheaper, they said.

Great idea w/ the coffee filters... my kids have been eating a lot of ice cream cones lately as snacks... that way they can eat the "container" hahaha I'll use this for my kid's grapes and other snacks... awesome!

That is amazing the difference in your bill!!! I can't wait until we can replace ours!

Some appliances take way more electricity than you might think. Our library has several Kill A Watt devices to lend so you can figure out what's using all the power. Here's one: http://www.amazon.com/P3-International-P4400-Electricity-Monitor/dp/B00009MDBU

We live in an area where we're on well water. The pump takes quite a bit of power so I try to make sure that we save as much water as possible on days when I know we're going to have to water the garden. (Make sure you don't have any leaks in pipes leading to any sprinkler systems or drips in the bathroom, etc.) We always run a bit of water to start a shower - that water gets saved in a bucket or extra large salad bowl, etc. Undrunk water from lunch goes into the garden, etc.

Last year on one of the "it's so hot" threads here, someone mentioned the idea of using a waffle maker to cook muffin mixes. (wuffins!) It's a decent way of getting a break in the it's-July-and-I'm-only-grilling mindset. It might be one way to cut down on the electric usage from the ac and big oven.

NHWX

I am also going to start unplugging the washer and dryer when not in use and line drying everything.

FWIW, I own one of those Kill-A-Watt things mentioned above and tested my washer & dryer. They don't pull any energy when they are not turned on. Yours may be different, but maybe not.:confused3

If you have central air make sure you clean around the unit outside (leaves, debris) and get freon added regularly every few years....it makes a big difference.

Your post makes me nervous to see what our next bill will be! We have Georgia Power and I heard last week that they increased the rates and bills have been doubling.

The power bill came over the weekend:
Last month: $167.95

This month: $261.24 :scared1:

1 Year ago: $218.70

I think this year we have already had 40+ consecutive days of temps above 90 degrees and summer hasn't even started!

I need to find some ways to trim the electric bill.

I hate summer in Florida because all the savings we see from the mild weather months are eaten away so quickly.

Still working through these replies, but thought I would add in what I have found helps:

1. We planted fast growing shrubs to try to shade the house.
2. We have the actual AC unit shaded as well.
3. We installed radiant attic foil (can't remember what it's called) to try to cool down the attic (well, being in Florida it's actually a crawl space, but it still gets so hot in the summer).
4. Installed heavy drapes with heat barrier coating. So much heat comes in through the windows.

These things made a difference, but we're always looking to do more.

FWIW, I own one of those Kill-A-Watt things mentioned above and tested my washer & dryer. They don't pull any energy when they are not turned on. Yours may be different, but maybe not.:confused3

:rotfl: Ok thanks for telling me that!!! So there goes that idea... lol You just saved me some time... what about the microwave? Does it pull phatom power? Anyone know? I'm not going to be unplugging and flipping breakers if it isn't going to make a difference... I need one of those kill a watt devices!

:rotfl: Ok thanks for telling me that!!! So there goes that idea... lol You just saved me some time... what about the microwave? Does it pull phatom power? Anyone know? I'm not going to be unplugging and flipping breakers if it isn't going to make a difference... I need one of those kill a watt devices!

I think the microwave does. The 'rule' I have heard is that if the appliance has a CLOCK or shows any lights when you are not using it, it's pulling electricity. Since the microwave almost always has a clock, then it would constantly be pulling electricity.

If your microwave is built in (above the stove), then its not so easy to unplug it since those are generally hard wired into the wall. I don't think that constantly flipping breakers is a great idea, either.

If you have central air make sure you clean around the unit outside (leaves, debris) and get freon added regularly every few years....it makes a big difference.

Freon, eh? I think having it serviced might not be a bad idea... the unit is 10 years old and we've only lived here for a year- I doubt anything was done before then.

They added a bonus type room w/ attic space upstairs and the insulation up there is hit or miss. I know that is a part of the problem.

A lot of these things that need to be done/looked at/serviced cost $$ for a professional to come out and we just don't have it right now. :sad1:

I think the microwave does. The 'rule' I have heard is that if the appliance has a CLOCK or shows any lights when you are not using it, it's pulling electricity. Since the microwave almost always has a clock, then it would constantly be pulling electricity.

If your microwave is built in (above the stove), then its not so easy to unplug it since those are generally hard wired into the wall. I don't think that constantly flipping breakers is a great idea, either.

I just flipped the breaker once last night to the washer b/c that was my husband's bright idea... :rotfl2:

I can reach up and unplug the microwave though b/c I'm kinda tall and it isn't that difficult to plug back in when needed (which isn't that often). Thanks for the reply!

As far as the dishes- Our baby is still using a bottle so that accounts for a lot of the dishes. I prepare all of our meals- hot breakfast of usually bacon/sausage, eggs, pancakes so they need a plate and it usually is too soild be to reused for lunch w/out washing... same for lunch and dinner dishes. We only use dishes that can be washed- not thrown away and we use cloth instead of paper towels. With 5 kids and 2 adults- it is just a lot of dishes.

I'm definitely going to implement some of these suggestions and hope to report back that our bill is much lower next month! :banana:

If you're cooking 3 hot meals per day thats definitely going to heat up your house. We try & do more cold meals during the summer so we don't heat up the house.

Any luck on finding that UV film? We could use some as the front of our house faces West. Gets warm in the evening.

If you're cooking 3 hot meals per day thats definitely going to heat up your house. We try & do more cold meals during the summer so we don't heat up the house.

Any luck on finding that UV film? We could use some as the front of our house faces West. Gets warm in the evening.

Gila films are available at most Lowe's and Home Depot... trying to look for alternatives now.

kids getting pb&j and a green salad for lunch... lol

As far as the dishes- Our baby is still using a bottle so that accounts for a lot of the dishes. I prepare all of our meals- hot breakfast of usually bacon/sausage, eggs, pancakes so they need a plate and it usually is too soild be to reused for lunch w/out washing... same for lunch and dinner dishes. We only use dishes that can be washed- not thrown away and we use cloth instead of paper towels. With 5 kids and 2 adults- it is just a lot of dishes.

I'm definitely going to implement some of these suggestions and hope to report back that our bill is much lower next month! :banana:

I understand the bottles! My baby used Dr. Brown's and that is a lot of parts! Get a microwave sterilzer. Dr. Brown's makes one but I have a generic and it works fine too. Keep a bowl of soapy water in the kitchen. After using a bottle, disassemble and toss all parts into the water. At the end of the day, rinse everything and toss it in the sterilizer, microwave and viola, clean bottles. Uses much less time and energy then washing in the dishwasher.

3 hot meals a day is alot! We try to eat without using the stove or oven alot in the summer. Even with 3 hot meals a day, for your whole family that is 21 plates/bowls a day and should easily fit in one load for the dishwasher. I'd really try to cut down on the use of the oven/stove though. There are lots of no-cook breakfast and lunch items you can make.

don't forget to change the furnace filter. A dirty filter with make the A/C work harder.
Keeps windows and door shut. Limit the number of times you open a door this can let in a lot of heat. So make sure the kids are not running in an out.

Running the washer and dryer at the same time can drive up your billing rate. All it takes is one spike in your billing load and your electric company will bill you are the higher rate all month long.

Use insollated shades or curtains to block out the heat. I set our thermostat at 78 during the date and 76 at 5 p.m. I work part time and notice that during the day our A/C doesn't kick on until 5 p.m.

Invest in insultated windows and doors and your return on investment can be recooped in a short amount of time.

Use ceiling fans to move the cool air..BUT remember to make sure the ceiling fan is circulating in the right direction. In the summer you want the fan to pull air upward because cool air is lite and stays close to the floor. So make sure the switch on your fan is set to draw the air upward. And visa versa for winter.

I use a fan at the bottom of our basement stairs to blow the cool air from the basement up to the first level. As well as using the ceiling fan to circulate the air.

On cool mornings I open up the window and draw the cool air into the house using a box fan. Once the room feels cool I shut the window and the shades.

I make salads for dinner. Or use the grill. I don't use the oven in the summer months.
Never use the dishwasher because it heats up the kitchen and uses too much electric. I can handwash dishes faster than the dishwasher can.
Make sure register vents are not blocked.

Freon, eh? I think having it serviced might not be a bad idea... the unit is 10 years old and we've only lived here for a year- I doubt anything was done before then.

An A/C unit is a sealed system... it should *never* need refrigerant. If it does, there is a leak somewhere -- large or small -- and that can really run your bill up (and kill said system.) As someone else mentioned, change your A/C filter every month. Unless you have allergy problems and need the special filters, just buy the cheapie ones and keep changing them. That will definitely help the airflow and make the A/C not have to work as hard.

Summer is something you survive here, not look forward to, and the biggest change I made that resulted in the biggest difference - both in my electric bill and in comfort - was to hang thermal curtain panels in every window in my living room. HUGE difference. I can stand to be in my living room again. I can do without tons of natural light in the summer -- heck, we don't even go grocery shopping until late late at night because otherwise you feel faint just going from the car to the door -- so daylight is not something we generally want any part of for a goodly chunk of the year. Especially *this* year. :faint:

If you don't have a smart meter, ask your electric provider if and when they have any plans to install them, or if you can pay to have one installed. Once installed and registered, you can actually go online and see when your power usage is peaking and find out what steps you can take to reduce usage if possible.

Use ceiling fans to move the cool air..BUT remember to make sure the ceiling fan is circulating in the right direction. In the summer you want the fan to pull air upward because cool air is lite and stays close to the floor. So make sure the switch on your fan is set to draw the air upward. And visa versa for winter.

Good tip!! The way I remember which way is the right way is by looking up at it directly and chanting "counter-clockwise keeps me cool!" :goodvibes

our house is one huge fishbowl with lots of windows that act as magnifying glasses. Even in the dead of winter, our living room can easily be 80 degrees and we live in Mass! Our vents are in the floor so I put box fans over the vents and have them pull the cold air up and out. It keeps the living room (which has 12 windows and 12 skylights --I kid you not) cool and liveable.

We keep the drapes closed when the sun shines in in the summer. We unplug everything that pulls power...toaster, coffeemaker, tv...we engage in a constant battle over that 'heat dry' thing on the dishwasher. :rotfl:

But I lived in Dallas for 30 years...i remember $400 electric bills regular in the summer. I don't miss it.

I haven't read through the entire thread, but I have two very helpful solutions.

1. CLOSE your blinds! If you can get lined drapes/curtains or room darkening/black out curtains, get them AND use the blinds. It's amazing how much heat can come in through windows. (for that matter, heat during the winter that goes out)

2. Use your ceiling fans, but also get box/oscillating fans. They make a big difference, and you can bump the thermostat up some if you use the fans.

Just be a little cautious about the smart meters... Our whole neighborhood got them installed at the same time, and everyone's bill pretty much doubled the next month and from then on out- and the response we got was "Oh, it's just because it's so much more accurate"... :confused3 Can't believe that their people were so off in their measurements from month to month on the meter readings...

The toaster/ convention over tip does work- we got one on sale for $79 the other day at Target and tried it this weekend- instead of the oven heating the house up over 80 we only went up two degrees! :banana:

Just wanted to say Hi neighbor :wave:. So excited to see someone else from home here just wish you didn't come with power increase news. I hadn't hear that.

Hello to you:yay: !! So sorry about the news. I believe I read it on either WBOC.com or Delmarvanow.com. Can't remember:rolleyes1; it was a couple of weeks ago.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter