How to increase salt intake

kimblebee

now my thoughts will be worth 5 cents
Yes, you read that correctly

Lately, I have been feeling light headed and dizzy sometimes when going from a lying down position to a sitting/standing position. Also, it sometimes happens when I bend over to tie my shoes. I am on a ton of medications that may be causing it but for now my neurologist has said for me to increase my salt intake as he thinks my blood pressure drops when I stand up. How do I add salt to my diet besides eating more potato chips and french fries? I am already overweight so I don't want to pack on the pounds. I also don't want to just sprinkle salt over every meal I eat because that is gross.

Lately, I have been feeling light headed and dizzy sometimes when going from a lying down position to a sitting/standing position. Also, it sometimes happens when I bend over to tie my shoes. I am on a ton of medications that may be causing it but for now my neurologist has said for me to increase my salt intake as he thinks my blood pressure drops when I stand up. How do I add salt to my diet besides eating more potato chips and french fries? I am already overweight so I don't want to pack on the pounds. I also don't want to just sprinkle salt over every meal I eat because that is gross.

When I was young there were salt tablet dispensers in the locker room. Do they still make salt tablets?

We had to do this for my ds12 for a time. He was having all kinds of GI issues (for MANY years) and finally was referred to a pediatric Gastroenterologist. One of the MANY tests she performed concluded that he could potentially have POTS syndrome - Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndriome which basically has the same characterics of your symptoms. It was a blood pressure test that he failed - from a sitting to standing and lying to sitting, his blood pressure would drop rather than equilibrate like it's supposed to.

It was really hard to incorporate more salt into his diet because he really doesn't like overly-salty foods (other than McD's french fries!) We were able to get salt pills, but for the most part, just lightly salted things that we don't usually salt so it did increase his sodium intake. In the long run for us, he didn't have to further with the POTS testing to confirm diagnosis (tilt-table test was the next step) because the meds he was on for his GI issues seemed to take care of the problem for him.

It does sound like your cardiologist is thinking along the lines of POTS as well. I wish you good luck! :goodvibes

My first thought until you said you wanted to eat healthy was ramen noodles! :rotfl:

Why not make a soup with salty broth? You can keep it healthy by adding lean meats or beans and fresh veggies.

Canned tomato sauce also has a lot of salt loaded into it so you could make a tomato sauce with a canned tomato product.

you could also use a salty cheese like feta in a salad or other dish.

It could also be dehydration. Same thing was happening to my mother, and she had to go in the hospital. She was very dehydrated (she has cancer and also bladder issues and won't drink as much as she needs to). They gave her 10-12 bags of fluid in a little over 2 days (forgot the exact number since this was back in 2011).

I have the same issue and also try to eat fairly healthy. I eat a lot of canned soup for lunch. Sodium content is high but calories aren't horrible. I have always craved salt since I was kid but cut back to be healthy. That was when I started having issues with dizziness. Guess my body knew what it needed.

Just look at food labels. If your buying spaghetti sauce, buy one with more sodium (assuming you like the flavor obviously). Same goes for everything. Act like your trying to lose weight, just in reverse. Most people avoid sodium when dieting, you need to look for it.

This way, for normal meals you will be adding the salt without having to much of anything different. You could eat hot dogs, sandwich meats, etc... Those are famous for lots of sodium.

There are APPS you can get for your phone (assuming you have a smart phone). They allow you to scan the bar code and tell you if that food meets your eating goals. You will just have to program your goal to have a lot of sodium. Fortunately, many "low fat" foods are made with high sodium.

I use an APP called Fooducate. It's pretty good.

Have you had bloodwork done to rule out a thyroid problem and diabetes or hypoglycemia?

What about naturally saltier meats for your protein - like maybe salami or salt-cured ham?

Salted almonds, peanuts, pecans, etc. would be good for snacking too.

Some people like lightly salted watermelon.

Thanks for all the input and suggestions. I had my blood work done recently and all levels were normal. I think my doctor is just guessing at this point as to what is causing this dizziness so I'm willing to play along. One thing that is nice is that if I have questions, I can have my neurologist on the phone the same day I call him.

If he wanted you to increase your salt, he should have given you a prescription for salt tablets. No need to take in extra calories when you can add a precise amount of salt.

Salt is a funny thing. We don't even have a salt shaker on our table, and don't salt when we cook. I have high blood pressure, so the standing order to reduce salt, but then my doctor does blood work and my sodium level gets flagged because it is low. His response is that high blood pressure is a bigger concern than low sodium levels.

Did your neurologist check your blood pressure in different positions, lying down, sitting, and standing? Mine did, and mine varied. I have to be careful to rise slowly and to change position slowly. I keep track of my sodium intake along with other measures of my diabetic diet, and I take in a sufficient amount.

DS was told at one point to consume more salt because he was not taking in enough and his blood pressure was low overall, causing some symptoms.

I would be looking at whether you are taking diuretics and when, bananas consumed, and other things which could have an effect, rather than adding junk food to your diet.

It does sound like your cardiologist is thinking along the lines of POTS as well. I wish you good luck! :goodvibes

DS has POTS and controls it more with the use of compression stockings(prevents venous pooling and keeps the blood in the core) and salt intake, but in reality the stockings help the most. Something to consider.

Has a doctor actually checked that your bp drops? Those symptoms were happening to me and my cardiologist checked that it actually was my bp. He hen adjusted my meds. I wouldn't just start using more salt before I actually knew the cause of the problem. Even then I'd look for options other than upping sodium.

I have problems with both my sodium and potassium levels and the meds I took caused all kinds of problems. When I started running I used NUUN tablets in my water for the electrolytes in them. My doctor and I were both pleasantly surprised when my next lab tests showed normal levels.

They have different flavors and it is easy to add the tablets to the water I am regularly drinking each day.

www.nuun.com

My teens both have orthostatic hypotension and I was advised to give them canned veg, add salt to homemade items, have salt tablets for them in the spring and summer, and have them drink electrolyte beverages.

My Ped. has told me to just do the same with my littles also.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter