How to handle "free upgrade" email?

I received the email 2 days ago...My dates are Nov 22-23 at Art of Animation and 23-27 at Pop for free dining. The upgrade I got was for the one night res. Were at Little Mermaid, but can upgrade to any of the family suites or Caribbean beach, Coronado Sp, or OKW. I would love to stay at OKW, but going for one night then have to move to Pop...nope! Moving from AoA to POP much easier. Plus I wanted to see AoA. I would love an upgrade to a fam suite but I call daily and there is no availability. I think they want me out for someone staying longer than a day...???

To answer a question I saw, our reservation was room only, not a package, and I had just happened to look as I was on the phone and sure enough there were no more standard rooms available at POFQ for the dates that we were there. I have no doubt that that contributed to us getting the upgrade, but you won't hear me complain for a second.

I am starting to worry that the crowds during our stay (12/9-12/16) may be higher then we are used to. This is our 3rd trip in 4 years during that week. It is usually very small crowds, but with all the upgrades I am starting to wonder...

Just booked a LM room at AoA from 12/29 - 12/31.... but I would never turn down a free upgrade, I will be checking my email daily! :)

I love hearing about people receiving pixiedust: and getting offered an upgrade.

We were booked at AoA LM room only for Easter week and just about a week ago, DH and I decided it was more than we should spend on a value resort (peak rates, no discount), so we committed to using MIL's RCI and booked Silver Lake/Silver Points for less than $500 for the whole week. I told him that just because we did that, they will offer upgrades for Easter time (assuming it is due to overbooking) and we will miss out on our only hope of a free upgrade ;) We would have jumped on the opportunity to go back to OKW or visit SSR (even if they aren't as sought after as some other deluxes).

Congrats to all who are enjoying these upgrades!:cheer2:

We have a room only reservation and upgraded from LM to a LK suite. In the fine print of the email I got it said "no group rates or other discounts apply.". That could be why those with FD aren't being offered the upgrades. In Disney's eyes they're already receiving a discount with FD.

I had a guest who got this email and forwarded it to me, her travel agent, to follow up on. She sent it this morning and I followed up straight away and the only upgrade out of her choices was Saratoga Springs. All the moderates and AoA suites were booked according to Disney. They ended up deciding to take the upgrade because of the added space & the kitchen. I hope they love it because I know she was a little bummed not to be at AoA.

Last March the POR Royal Rooms were not going to be done on schedule so we got a free upgrade to the GF. We got a castle view as well. Trip of a lifetime.

Patti

I would just ignore it. I don't think there's any danger of getting upgraded against your will.

As an aside., we were booked for LM as well for Dec 2012, and we DID take advantage of the offer, now we're booked in a suite. :)

Bolding mine. Not true. When we stayed at ASMo, the person checking in after us was quite upset that they were upgraded to a suite at the Coronado. They pitched a huge fit and the CM was explaining there were just no rooms available. They send those emails when they oversell a hotel, usually. So, of not enough people accept the upgrade in advance, people will be "upgraded against their will" so to speak.

OP here.

My sister just checked into AoA and she has the LM room that she reserved. She said the room is beautiful and just what she wanted.

The only downside is that both WiFi and 3G access in her room are sporadic, at best. I'd heard that that was a problem at some AoA locations.

Thanks again to all the posters on this thread.

I'll post again if I have any new info.

I am starting to worry that the crowds during our stay (12/9-12/16) may be higher then we are used to. This is our 3rd trip in 4 years during that week. It is usually very small crowds, but with all the upgrades I am starting to wonder...

On the one hand, all December dates are becoming more popular. I don't think there will be any slow periods at Disney in 5 years. On the other hand, there must be lots of vacancy at deluxes & moderates if they are upgrading so many people.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter