How to handle "free upgrade" email?

OP here again.

My sister spoke to WDW ressies on the phone. They told her that the only upgrades that were available were the ones listed on the email she'd been sent, and she told them that she didn't want any of these upgrades and wanted to stay in her LM room, as booked 6 months ago.

The CM confirmed her original reservation, which specifies an LM room.

Now I'm keeping my fingers crossed for my sister, hoping she gets the room she wants...or if it has to be changed because of overbookings, that she gets something she will not just like but love.

Again, many thanks to all the posters on this thread. And here's some pixie dust for my sister and for all of you, too! pixiedust:

I really hope that your sister can keep her original reservation for a LM room!!!

Something that caught my attention was that she is travelling alone....I'm just wondering why Disney would try to get a solo traveller to switch to a suite when I'm sure there are lots of larger families booked in a LM room that would be thrilled to switch to a suite for free. We are a family of 4 booked into a LM room and I'd jump at the chance for a free upgrade into one of the suites even if it is just for the extra room! I can totally understand why this would make no sense for a solo traveller. I'm sure with Disney it may just all be computer generated, who gets these free upgrade emails, so there may be no rhyme or reason as to who receives the email...just doesn't make any sense to me :confused3

I really hope your sister enjoys her stay in the LM seciton:cheer2:

Hi everyone,

My sister booked an LM room at AoA six months ago. She's arriving in three weeks. Today she got an email "Upgrade your Disney Resort hotel for FREE." The options they offered were any of the family suites at AoA, CBR, CSR, OKW, and SS. The email says to call soon to ask about the free upgrade.

The thing is, my sister wants to stay in the LM room she booked! None of the "upgrade" options is in any way appealing to her. I realize that to someone else, these might seem like upgrades, but to my sister, they do not.

If she doesn't call them, will they maybe force her to "upgrade" when she checks in in three weeks? Should she call and make sure that her LM room is still hers?

Thanks for some guidance. This has never happened to me, so I don't know what to tell her is the best course of action (or inaction). She hasn't been to WDW in 25 years and she would like to get the room she booked. It'd be different if she wanted to stay at one of these other resorts (or suites) but she doesn't.

Thanks!

I apologize if I missed this, but what are her dates? We are staying at AoA LM from Dec 6-8. I called within an hour of receiving the "free upgrade" email (and about 5 times since), and have been told every time nothing is available at another resort. Even the moderates! Yikes!

btw, I was hesitant at first to give up my LM room, too! It is a surprise for the kids, and I know they would love the Nemo pool and DD4 would be in heaven in the LM room. DS9 and DS7 not so much lol!

I apologize if I missed this, but what are her dates? We are staying at AoA LM from Dec 6-8. I called within an hour of receiving the "free upgrade" email (and about 5 times since), and have been told every time nothing is available at another resort. Even the moderates! Yikes!

I checked the WDW site for your dates out of curiosity and only POR waterview shows up for moderates, but both SSR and OKW show as still available, so they must have had enough people take the offer that they no longer need to make room @ AOA LM for your dates - so those not wanting to be moved who are going those dates can breathe a sigh of relief.
I do like that they are dealing w/ overbooking ahead of time, far better to find people who would like an upgrade beforehand than confronting people after a long day of travel w/ the unexpected @ the front desk, IMO.

Can I ask, when are your dates?

The dates are 12/26 thru 12/28, after that we walk across the street to SOG for the rest of our stay. I was stunned to get a monorail resort, and for the two nights after Christmas too.

after seeing this, I had to go through our emails and was hoping to get a free upgrade, but no such luck. we have 2 rooms at POP, the first value in a while, but where the kids wanted to stay....guess the next trip I will pick again, maybe even leave them home.....Congrats to all that have gotten the free upgrade....

My sister's there from November 28th through December 4th. I don't think I ever mentioned the dates.

I really hope that your sister can keep her original reservation for a LM room!!!

Something that caught my attention was that she is travelling alone....I'm just wondering why Disney would try to get a solo traveller to switch to a suite when I'm sure there are lots of larger families booked in a LM room that would be thrilled to switch to a suite for free. We are a family of 4 booked into a LM room and I'd jump at the chance for a free upgrade into one of the suites even if it is just for the extra room! I can totally understand why this would make no sense for a solo traveller. I'm sure with Disney it may just all be computer generated, who gets these free upgrade emails, so there may be no rhyme or reason as to who receives the email...just doesn't make any sense to me :confused3

It seemed nonsensical to me, too, to be offering a solo traveler a suite. Neither I nor my sister has any idea why she got the upgrade offer.

I know she'll love her stay in the LM room!

Thanks for posting and I'm sure things will work out well for you, too! :thumbsup2

Specter said:
My wife got the email and we went from POFQ to Poly, there was no way we were turning that down. Can't wait.

What dates is your booking at POFQ? We are there 12/3 to 12/8

When resorts are overbooked, they pay more attention to travel dates than party size. Probably was picked at random.

We also received the upgrade email. We are staying at POR and they offered AKL, OLd Key West, or Saratoga Springs. We are doing our first night room only and the rest of the week as a package with free dining. The offer was ONLY for the first night. I asked about the rest of the week and was told no, only the one night. We decided it just wasn't worth the trouble of moving for one night. The only thing I am now wondering about is the phone number in the email. It is different then the regular reservation number - I may call the number in the email and see if they might add the rest of the week....

I would hate that...I love getting settled in when I first get to a room and would never take an upgrade for a night. Although some people might like that it seems inconvenient to me.

I checked the WDW site for your dates out of curiosity and only POR waterview shows up for moderates, but both SSR and OKW show as still available, so they must have had enough people take the offer that they no longer need to make room @ AOA LM for your dates - so those not wanting to be moved who are going those dates can breathe a sigh of relief.
I do like that they are dealing w/ overbooking ahead of time, far better to find people who would like an upgrade beforehand than confronting people after a long day of travel w/ the unexpected @ the front desk, IMO.

I actually was pretty disappointed I didn't get the upgrade :(. They told me to keep calling. Initially I wasn't sure what I wanted to do, but after thinking about how crowded it probably will be I thought I'd rather get out of there!

I do agree with you though. They are handling this ahead of time which is great!

Also to the OP who was hoping to upgrade from Pop, they had specific resorts I was allowed to chose from, and Poly wasn't one of them. I even asked if I could pay a difference. I guess because the OP is coming from a moderate they got a better upgrade lol! One CM told me that I could only upgrade to moderate, and I had to read her the email that offered me OKW and SS.

My wife got the email and we went from POFQ to Poly, there was no way we were turning that down. Can't wait.

Wow, that is some upgrade. We just stayed at the Poly and it is amazing! Have a great trip.

For the OP if they are wanting to stay in their LM I would just leave it at that; I am sure that enough people will take advantage of the upgrade and she wont have to worry.

Just wondering out loud if it is an overbooking problem or if they are maybe taking some rooms out of service to address the comfort (temperature) issue?

hmmmm

We were received and used an upgrade code last year from a mod to a deluxe but it wasn't free there was a small charge. Just curious are these all for full price room only reservations, or does anyone have a package with free dining.
And I agree it depends on the resort I wouldn't upgrade just because of the category.

My theory was that since AoA is booked solid (at least for my dates) they are trying to open rooms up so they could book more new reservations, but yours is a good theory, too. :confused3 I have heard that is is pretty stuffy in those rooms. Maybe when I call again today to try and get my "free upgrade" I will ask the CM!

Also, I booked mine for Room Only. We are staying at POR for the first part of our trip on FD, and I didn't get any offers for that reservation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter