How to find characters

WDWprincessloyola

Mouseketeer
Hello everyone! I am new to this side of the boards as I am usually on the WDW side.

I am taking my first trip to Disneyland this month, after about 12 trips to WDW, and I feel out of my element. I've read up on some of the helpful threads on here.

So I was wondering, how does one go about finding characters in the park? I've scheduled two character meals: dinner at Goofy's Kitchen and brunch at Minnie's and Friends.

How do I find other (face) characters around the park? I'll admit I am not one for seeking out the princesses (though it seems they are easier to find!), but I am interested in the Wonderland, Peter Pan, Mary Poppins, etc type characters. I am particularly fond of the Alice in Wonderland characters, so I hope to see them.

How would I find characters I might want to find? Is there a different approach to gaining a photograph with the characters found around the park versus the structure found at WDW?

I'm 26 years old and I am vacationing with my mother who hasn't been there since just after the park opened, so this is a new experience for us! Any pointers would be appreciated. :wizard:

during the morning you will often find the red queen. alice, and the mad hatter right in front of the tea cups!

Mary Poppins is often right in front of Great Moments of Mr. Lincoln! she is often with Bert who is REALLY cute:love:

Peter Pan is like a wild goose chase i swear! he is never in just one spot! he is always running around all over the place cuz he's of course Peter Pan, i'll always see flashes of green and try to run over but he's gone by then!

=)

So is there a proper Disneyland character etiquette for approaching characters found about the park?

Go on up, say hi, ask for a picture and an autograph! ;)

If you can catch a performance of the Pearly Band, I highly, HIGHLY recommend it. It's a fabulous show right outside the castle, and Mary Poppins and Bert stick around for meet and greet afterwards. It might be on the entertainment schedule or the website for the day, or you just might catch them randomly. They do perform at the hub these days, though in the past it was on the other side of the castle.

I've found that quite a few characters show up at Town Square, and if you catch some of the entertainment groups like the Hook and Ladder Company with Cruella DeVille and Chip and Dale, or the Straw Hatters with Mickey and Friends, they stick around for a meet and greet afterwards.

The small entertainment is often not on the entertainment schedule that you get at the gate, but I've found if you check disneyland.com for the daily schedule, you can find them there. Another fun group is the Bootstrappers outside of Pirates (well, New Orleans Square), but you won't get any character meet and greets from that performance. It's still quite fun though!:thumbsup2

So is there a proper Disneyland character etiquette for approaching characters found about the park?

hmmm i've never heard this question before!!! i usually just say "hello":lmao: they are really good with starting conversations with guests so just go with the flow!!! an if you want a specific pose don't be afraid to ask!! When i met Peter Pan, Wendy, and Hook i asked Wendy and Peter if we could have a photo of us making fun of Captain Hook and they were thrilled to do so! :rotfl2::rotfl2:

Princess Loyola, If you're a fan of Alice in Wonderland you HAVE to go to the Musical Chairs game on Main Street! It's hosted by the Mad Hatter, and Alice, the Red Queen, Tweetle Dee and Tweetle Dum participate as well. It's not very well publicized and I only noticed it very recently, but the GF and I really enjoyed it. According to the Disney Wiki it starts at 2:30, but I would ask a cast member in the area for the exact time. Here are the pictures I took of it back in January:
dsc02503d.jpg
dsc02504n.jpg
dsc02505xa.jpg
dsc02506as.jpg
dsc02507yc.jpg

(that little girl had volunteered when the Mad Hatter asked if anyone knew any good jokes :) )

Mary and Bert can also sometimes be found over by the Ragtime piano player at Coke Corner, or right next to it in the seating area by the Plaza Pavilion.

Your best bet for Alice, IMO, is going to be at musical chairs that a PP mentioned. Sometimes you get lucky and Peter is there as well. If not, you're going to have to keep a sharp eye out in Fantasyland, as he doesn't stay in one spot. I've also caught him right near the castle, by Snow's wishing well.

A lot of times, I have seen the Red Queen on Main Street. If you want to know whether a character is going to be out, you can ask at the info booth by the Plaza Pavilion, next to the entrance to Adventureland (it also has general wait times for the attractions), and they will tell you what time and in what location the character will be out.

I've heard some WDW veterans be disappointed with DLs setup. I personally love it. Alice and the Mad Hatter might take pictures one set them just wander around Fantasyland the next. The aforementioned musical chairs game is great, but it's not a m&g-I've seen the mad hatter slam autograph books shut.

Sometimes the characters may leave with no warning. IMO it's much more organic and less forced ie Pluto leashed to the flagpole in town square.

The assortment is a little less than WDW but the quality makes up for it. Like others said Mary is part of that castle show and Cruella is in the firehouse show. You'd never see that in FL for several reasons.

I live in FL so can answer any questions on the differences if you think of them.

Look for the Wonderland Gang at 10:00 at the entrance with the band, 11:00am in front of the Castle with the band again, 1:15 near the Teacups/Matterhorn, ask at the City Hall or the Information Booth at the entrance to Adventureland and they will have their schedule.

Just don't be pushy... Ask them, they are very kind to requests, and will tell you where to meet them next (They will remember you). They actually have set schedule, and can only stay out about 30 minutes at a time.

Your Quote:
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary wise; what it is it wouldn't be, and what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?

The next lines as sung by Alice at Musical Chairs... They know the movie well.:thumbsup2
http://youtu.be/-dS4q3T3Qyw
IMG_3838ecopy.jpg

Things that you will never see at WDW......
http://youtu.be/GQ09m8OwHFk
http://youtu.be/ATFx3aismgU

I've heard some WDW veterans be disappointed with DLs setup. I personally love it. Alice and the Mad Hatter might take pictures one set them just wander around Fantasyland the next. The aforementioned musical chairs game is great, but it's not a m&g-I've seen the mad hatter slam autograph books shut.

Sometimes the characters may leave with no warning. IMO it's much more organic and less forced ie Pluto leashed to the flagpole in town square.

The assortment is a little less than WDW but the quality makes up for it. Like others said Mary is part of that castle show and Cruella is in the firehouse show. You'd never see that in FL for several reasons.

I live in FL so can answer any questions on the differences if you think of them.

I agree that it's feels more organic. When we visited WDW I will say that with a 2 year old, it was kind of nice to just have the characters be in straightforward places, but the lines were often long. At DLR I really feel like it's more intimate. Since they pop up "randomly" (not really, but it feels like it if you're walking around) they don't usually attract huge crowds right away. That said, at DLR it can get frustrating and feel like you're just chasing them around if you want specific characters. Definitely best to ask beforehand.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter