How "tame" is Space Mountain, Dinosaur, MS, TT?

I will also throw in that I DO like thrill rides, but I will never do Space Mountain again (unless the little ones want me to) and I would not be at all upset if I missed Dinosaur. They are both just way too jerky for me.

I've read this thread with interest, and really appreciate the info about these rides. I know for a fact I'd never do any of the mountains.

For someone that's the biggest wimp in the world, please can I have an opinion on whether to try Dinosaur and Mission Space? I've watched the video of Dino and it doesn't seem so bad - I don't mind being thrown around, but I hate the sensation of drops, or speed. Noise, darkness, jumpy-outy-things are not a problem.

To give some context, I hated Star Tours even with my eyes closed, as it still felt like bad drops, even though I'm usually okay with simulators if I close my eyes. I really did not like the drop in Pirates either. That's my level of scaredy-cat. I don't trust my husband to advise as he told me Star Tours was super-tame with no drops.

Thanks, guys!

I've read this thread with interest, and really appreciate the info about these rides. I know for a fact I'd never do any of the mountains.

For someone that's the biggest wimp in the world, please can I have an opinion on whether to try Dinosaur and Mission Space? I've watched the video of Dino and it doesn't seem so bad - I don't mind being thrown around, but I hate the sensation of drops, or speed. Noise, darkness, jumpy-outy-things are not a problem.

To give some context, I hated Star Tours even with my eyes closed, as it still felt like bad drops, even though I'm usually okay with simulators if I close my eyes. I really did not like the drop in Pirates either. That's my level of scaredy-cat. I don't trust my husband to advise as he told me Star Tours was super-tame with no drops.

Thanks, guys!

Dinosaur isn't scary in the wild ride, drops & speed category. It's a loud, interactive ride that makes you feel like you are in Jurassic park trying to get away from Dinosaurs. It's jerky...bumpy and in your face with regard to the special effects. Can't comment on Mission Space because I chose to not ride because I thought it would make me sick based on what I read. I have Meniere's (an inner ear disorder)

If you thought the drop in Pirates was a little unnerving, then definitely you would hate any of the Mountains! ;)

The thing is one persons tame is another persons adrenaline overdose. I am not a coaster person and hate big drops and will never do universal coasters but I think all the rides at WDW are very tame. The biggest single drop is splash mountain. Everest is much like BTMRR, Space mountain has a few drops but they are small while jerky. Dinosaur motion wise is nothing the visuals are what shock you there. I'd say give them all a go at least once.

Space Mountain is the only ride I generally avoid. I don't have any physical issues, but there's something about it that really jars my lower back. Dinosaur can be rough as well, but it doesn't have the same lateral g-forces and I don't have any problems with it.

Strangely enough, I don't have the same issues with Disneyland's Space Mountain. The track seems much smoother to me.

I like Mission Space orange line a lot and find it a lot tamer than Star Tours, which sometimes leaves me feeling a little queasy.

How does space mountain in MK compare to space mountain in Disneyland? I don't care for the drops on Splash Mountain but always Space Mountain in Disneyland. I think the fact that it was dark helped because I couldn't see the track and therefore not psych myself out.

Space in DL is quite a bit different. The room is much darker with more stars. You can't ever really see the track in DL's Space where at WDW you can definitely see the track at times. The tracks are quite different as well. WDW's is a bit rougher and has more small drops.

Both are a ton of fun to ride but most people agree that DL's Space is much better.

I'm not the biggest thrill ride person... really, I'm quite the chicken. I only recently did Splash Mountain, BTMRR, and Barnstormer.

However, during our trip in July my wife wants to do Test Track, Space Mountain, Mission Space (green), and/or Dinosaur.

I have to know... how tame are these? I hate big gigantic drops (Splash Mountain pushed that line..) and complete darkness. She does want to do Tower of Terror but there's no chance I'm getting on that ride... :)

There are no giant drops at WDW. There are only small drops at best. For the most part, the thrill rides at WDW do not beat you up as compared to several at Six Flags, etc., but in my opinion are much more fun.

I've never heard this stated before...interesting. EE looks WAY taller and steeper to me. I love BTMRR, but doesn't EE go backward as well?

:rotfl: BTMRR is nothing like EE. Yes, EE is steeper, but more importantly does go backward, faster and IIRC, even upside down? EE is far more of a "roller coaster" than BTMRR. (BTMRR is more tame)

Much like was said before, I actually laugh each time I go on Dinosaur. It's fantastic ride and it's like riding a bucking bronco, just so much fun as to make me smile wide. Really rough though. MS- Green - completely easy unless your claustrophobic then no way do you want to be in that capsule! TT - like riding in your car - no issues at all. SM - the roller coaster ride isn't all that great. Filled with unknown dips and curves which jar you to one side or the other. Although I always ride it, I always ask myself why in the world I just did that!?! Ugh. I think it's for the nostalgia and theme more than the ride itself. Don't ride if you hate being bucked around and can't see it coming. Happy Times!

You do not go upside down on Everest. Really the only difference from BTMRR is going backwards and the drop (which isn't intense at all). Once you ride it, you'll be surprised that it isn't as intense as you thought it would be.

If you can ride in a car, you can ride Test Track.

OK, I guess I didn't remember correctly on the upside down part (I did put ? after it) as it has been 3 months since I've been on EE. But, I still think it was way more fun and more "roller coaster-like) than BTMRR, which I have been riding since I was a kid.

I'm not the biggest thrill ride person... really, I'm quite the chicken. I only recently did Splash Mountain, BTMRR, and Barnstormer.

However, during our trip in July my wife wants to do Test Track, Space Mountain, Mission Space (green), and/or Dinosaur.

I have to know... how tame are these? I hate big gigantic drops (Splash Mountain pushed that line..) and complete darkness. She does want to do Tower of Terror but there's no chance I'm getting on that ride... :)

I'm not much of a ride person either so here is my 2 cents.

Splash Mountain's big drop is the most thrilling bit of any of the rides you list. By far IMO.

Space is in the dark, but it's really not all that bad. Look up the ride's top speed if you want some reassurance of just how bad it could be. I think it's a bit more thrilling than BTMRR due to being in the dark so you don't know exactly what is coming. I find it more thrilling in the front as you can't see/hear the people/car in front of you to get a little bit of a clue.

Test Track is not bad at all. If you can do Splash and BTMRR this will be no problem.

Mission Space Green is also a piece of cake. Try Orange after Green if you'd like and don't get motion sick. It is intense and very fun. I waited until the end of the day my first time on Orange as I've heard reports of it messing some people up for a bit after the ride, but I had no problem.

Dinosaur is dark and has some loud parts, but my honest opinion is this should not be very traumatic for an adult. I could see a kid being freaked out.

Short answer - if you can handle Splash and BTMRR, the others you list should be within your abilities.

:rotfl: BTMRR is nothing like EE. Yes, EE is steeper, but more importantly does go backward, faster and IIRC, even upside down? EE is far more of a "roller coaster" than BTMRR. (BTMRR is more tame)

It doesn't go that much faster or drop that much further and the backwards part is very short. I think it is very like BTMRR

EE absolutely, positively does not go upside down.

OP...the only "thrill" ride at WDW that I won't do is ToT. I don't really care to be dropped.

Motion simulators make me sick, even MS green. If you don't get motion sick, you'd be absolutely fine on that one. In fact, I think you'll be just fine on all of the rides you mentioned. They are really relatively tame.

It doesn't go that much faster or drop that much further and the backwards part is very short. I think it is very like BTMRR

Um, EE drops a lot further and goes a lot faster than BTMRR. EE reaches speeds of 50 mph, while BTMRR goes less than 30 mph. I don't really consider BTMRR to have much of a drop at all. In fact it is less than 40 feet- about half the size of the drop on EE. For someone that does not care for big drops, there is a HUGE difference between these two coasters. I go on both now with no problem, but there was a time where I wouldn't have gone near EE.

I think calling it a "drop" is making it seem more intimidating than it is. It's not steep at all and is curved at the end.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter