How strict are the height requirements?

nnthom266

Earning My Ears
My daughter is OVER 43.5" but BELOW 44.0" - can she ride Space Mountain (height requirement 44")?? - if we fluff her hair up, she'll make it ... and really, if you round her height to the nearest integer, you'd get 44" ...

I see this is your very first post, so I'm going to give you the benefit of a dobut. This is can become a very heated subject, so be prepared to duck.

They are very strict. The CMs will flatten any hair that is fluffed up, and measure the top of the head. They will also ask for any shoes with obviously high heels/bottoms to be removed before measuring. If a credit card can fit between the top of your child's head and the measuring stick, they won't be able to ride.

yikes! thank you! yes, I've never been here before, and I read the first page of posts and saw nothing, so I dove in ... didn't realize it was heated, nor did I realize they were THAT strict. Good to know.

I'd guess that if you are measuring without shoes, that putting normal sneakers on her would raise her up to 44". Like PP said, don't put platforms on her or anything, or they'll make her take them off.

At her height, I'd probably try and see. I'd go in to it with the attitude of "you may not be tall enough to ride, but lets try and find out."

I would prepare her for NOT being able to ride, but then being happy when/if she makes it. Also, she could make it on a 44" ride in the morning, but not in the evening. Just prepare the child for the possibility.

Best advice I can give is to go early in the day as we tend to shrink in the course of the day. Also teach your child to stand up straight and to try to hit a bar set at 44".

Be aware there are two measuring points, one before you enter the queue and another in the loading area. It is the one in the loading area that counts.

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

Good luck!

DO NOT talk up the ride with her. I have seen way too many kids cry and get upset because their parents were so amped up about them riding something and then they aren't tall enough. For the most part, it isn't that they can't ride, it's that they are embarrassed.

Be prepared to be measured twice, once at the front of the line and once again at the end.

IF THEY DON'T MEASURE YOU AT THE ENTRANCE please ask them to do so. You don't want to wait in line only to find out she can't ride, see my first comment in relation to that.

They are hot on the measuring. were going in may and my youngest needs to grow 2 inches in 5 months I'm hoping she does to get to be 40" there is alot to ride for that height as my son was on all those rides a few years ago

My daughter is OVER 43.5" but BELOW 44.0" - can she ride Space Mountain (height requirement 44")?? - if we fluff her hair up, she'll make it ... and really, if you round her height to the nearest integer, you'd get 44" ...

Probably not.

popcorn::

I've heard that a CM can lose their job if they allow an under-height child on an attraction.

They sometimes measure the kids at the entrance to the attraction and right before you get on. So be prepared to get measured a second time if you make it through the first time.

As a ride host myself, I can promise you that the CM's will know every single trick in the book. There's so many parents who try ANYTHING to get their kid on the ride. Some even think that if they just enter the one hour queue, there's no way the staff can turn them away when they've been waiting that long. And remember the hight requirements are there for your kids safety, it seems like a lot of parents forget that unfortunately.

And for your kids sake, if you choose to queue up to see if she'll get on, don't make a scene if they won't allow her. I've seen so many parents getting livid if the kid isn't allowed, which of course upsets the kid and often makes the kid cry. And of course, the parent will then blame the ride host for their crying child :headache:

Another tip if your child is allowed, if your child seems scared of trying, please don't try to force her (not saying you would). It seems like a lot of parents who's always loved rides don't understand how scary it is for other people. I remember I used to be terrified and my sister used to take me on anyway, not really an experience I envy anyone else. The reason I mention this is that I once encountered a father in the park I work in, who yelled at me for taking his kid of the ride, being really rude (my first thought to me was that this guy seems like a bully :mad: ). The poor child was terrified, and he would not take no for an answer, and seemed more worried about having wasted a fast pass (you have to pay for them in this park).

I'm not writing this to offend anyone, I just hope that some people could listen more to their kids sometimes, or understand that rules are there for safety, not just to make your day miserable :)

They are strict. A few years ago when my youngest DD was JUST 40 inches, she was routinely measured twice on every ride - at the entrance and then again at loading. She always made it, but it was close.

We just got back last night, and that same DD is now JUST 54 inches. She made it onto Manta and Kraken at Sea World (and loved them!) but was initially denied being able to go upside down on the Sum of All Thrills (which is also 54 inches). When the CM saw how disappointed she was by this, she patiently measured her again, telling her how to put her feet together, stand up straight, etc. until she met the height requirement. The CM was wonderful and patient, but she would not have let her on if DD had not truly hit the 54 inch mark.

Same situation we as us in Sept. My son was 43.5 inches we tried for Expedition Everest and he was turned away no big deal he was alittle upset but was given a card for the next time we visit and he is tall enough he can go to the front of the line....he thought that was pretty cool.
Another day at Magic Kindgom we decided just to see what they would say at Space Mountain. He passed the first measurment, at the second one they passed him but barely and said he would be measured again right at the ride but he might not get on, he ended up passing the last measurement and LOVED the ride, it was our last day there so not sure what would have happened if we would have went again on a a different day since he was so close....

Abandon all hope ye who enter here...:lmao:

But seriously, I'm glad to see the OP was so quick to respond since we all know how these threads usually turn out.

To the OP and anyone else who can calmly discuss this topic...SUPPOSEDLY humans can lose up to 1/4" of height throughout the day as the spine starts to compress from gravity (it relaxes from being in a prone position while sleeping). So ASSUMING this is true, maybe try to hit the heigh requirement rides in the morning. Also teach your kids to try to hit the bar with their head but do it without raising up on their toes, slouching can make all the difference.

When we went 2 years ago my daughter was just at the mark but she is short for her age 6. Anyway sometimes when they measured her she would get on the ride at other rides of the same height requirement we were told she was under the mark (maybe by a hair). She got to ride something in the am and then when we went back later we were told she was to short (again by a hair) and this happen twice. On one ride she okay at the enterance check point then told to short at the ride check point. I think some of the poles or lines they use are a little off and the other factor depends on how tired your child is and they them may stand up straight and tall at the beginning then not at the end. You kind of go with the flow. The other part is even if they are tall enough we had some giving us warning to hold them tight or watch them closely and that isn't a bad thing either.

Abandon all hope ye who enter here...:lmao:

But seriously, I'm glad to see the OP was so quick to respond since we all know how these threads usually turn out.

To the OP and anyone else who can calmly discuss this topic...SUPPOSEDLY humans can lose up to 1/4" of height throughout the day as the spine starts to compress from gravity (it relaxes from being in a prone position while sleeping). So ASSUMING this is true, maybe try to hit the heigh requirement rides in the morning. Also teach your kids to try to hit the bar with their head but do it without raising up on their toes, slouching can make all the difference.

Yeah, that's true. At my training in the park I work in now, we were told it wasn't a big deal if a kid was just a little bit under late in the day as shrinking is quite normal.

Also a tip to get high enough, if your kid just lacks "a hair" as someone said:

- make sure your kid has his/her feet together, heels need to touch each other
- straighten up the upper body: tummy inn and shoulders back and chest out
- if it's still just a little bit missing, make sure the kid has his/her head straight, as in looking straight forward, as just looking down just a little bit might make them a little bit shorter

It's amazing how much shorter a kid can be just from a "bad" body posture. Especially if the kid is tired.

My youngest was too small to do much of anything the last time we went to WDW. Every ride we tried (we didn't bother trying after the first couple of refusals) she was measured. This time she is tall enough for most but not all rides and we won't even bother with the rides we know she is too small for.

In my view, there is nothing more important than the safety of your child and the height requirements are in place to ensure that. CM have a job to do and I have seen far too many parents losing it with CM's who say no, even though they are there to ensure safety of their child.

The CM know the tricks and in my experience, they are just doing what they should be doing.

Now I don't have children but I would be scared to take a child that didn't meet the standards on a ride. I would assume they are there for a reason and smaller children just might slip out of any restraints and hurt themselves!

And that really doesn't sound like a good thing. :scared1:

But then again, it must be most unpleasant for any that JUST fail the requirements. :sad1:

Now I don't have children but I would be scared to take a child that didn't meet the standards on a ride. I would assume they are there for a reason and smaller children just might slip out of any restraints and hurt themselves!

And that really doesn't sound like a good thing. :scared1:

But then again, it must be most unpleasant for any that JUST fail the requirements. :sad1:

I agree! Several years ago we saw a little girl right in front of us sneak past the first height check at Triceratop Spin. It was crowded and her mom distracted the CM asking a bunch of touring questions, while dad sneaked her past in a crowd. You could tell what he was doing, because he had the little girl pulled right up against his left side and sort of turned his back toward the CM as they hustled past and the mom made a point of standing on the right side of the CM turning his attention toward her and away from the line of people walking in on the CM's left. After they got her in line, the mom then caught up with them and laughed saying "I told you it'd work". At the loading area, they were surprised to see the second measuring area and insisted she had been measured and passed down below. The CM asked her to take her shoes off and and pressed down her high ponytail. (She was wearing flip flops with very, very thick soles and had her hair pulled straight up in a high ponytail.) When told she was too short, the dad had a fit, saying they'd be responsible. It didn't work and they were turned away with the dad yelling that he was going to report that CM to guest services. My GD gave me a panicked look and I assured her she was fine as she was eaily tall enough. In fact, they didn't even look twice at her. Once we got on the ride, I wished she hadn't been however. She slid all over the place. I was nervous about her sliding out under the bar and held onto her. The next morning we both had bruises where we'd been thrown around.

Agree that she'll make it if 43.5" is without shoes. Regular sneakers should make her hit 44" but I'd still prepare her for being too short. My DD wasn't 40" at home with sneakers on our trip two years ago. We were shocked when she made the 40" at Test Track. We were just measuring to see how close she was. However, the third time in a row she did the ride, she measured too short inside though she had made it 10 minutes ago! The person inside refused to remeasure her even though she had made it outside and that same person had measured her minutes ago for her last ride. So, yes, they're strict even if they've measured that exact same child and that child made it. I didn't cause a stink and just accepted it - but prepare your child for possibly not making it inside the ride as well.

Also, I learned that "stand up tall" wasn't the best way to tell my child to stand up. I didn't figure that out until the end of the trip. I did know to do the 40" rides first thing in the morning at least - since she always made it if it was first thing but never by afternoon. Telling her to stand and try to get her head to hit the bar was a better tactic. If she stood on tiptoes, I'd tell her to put her feet down, but it helped to get her to stretch her head. Many kids try not to bump their heads on that bar you want them to hit!

For our most recent trip, that we returned from yesterday, she was barely 44" in shoes at home. She easily made 44" in the park - to the extent that she may have even been 45". My oldest was barely 54" at home with shoes, but 55" in the parks. So I'm not sure why the parks measurements are always off from mine. My no-shoes measurements match our drs office ones so I don't think I'm doing it wrong. Maybe my kids stand up better when it's a ride!

*My daughter was measured only once on our last trip and only at the start - even though she's 45" with shoes at Disney measurements. She did Space Mountain twice and Mission Space four times. (She didn't want to do Expedition Everest). When she was barely 40", she was measured every time in and out of the ride. I think the CM's must be able to tell quite well even without measuring!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter