• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How strict are CMs with height restrictions

In our experience, they were pretty strict. During our last trip, my son was 43 1/2". He did not get to ride EE and he was waaaay bummed. He was measured for nearly every 40" ride we went on as well.

They're very strict with checking height restrictions. My youngest son is right at 44" and they check his height on every ride where the height restriction is 44", sometimes twice before riding.

Your daughter will be fine on the rides with 40" restrictions, but I don't think there are any rides at Disney with 42" height restrictions, so she'll just be too short for the 44" rides.

You can tell when the kids are coached to stand on their tip-toes. They walk over to the height stick and immediately go on their toes. Do parents really think CM's are stupid?

EDIT: I already answered my question. Guests hate Cast Members. They enforce the rules, causing the guests to get mad.

What are their options when the child is clearly wearing height-boosting shoes?

I have seen them say no to kids wearing thick-soled flip flops or platform shoes that obviously boosted them the allowed height. I have also seen them squish poofy hair. It is at the digression of the CM because it is a safety issue. Both of my kids have been turned away from rides because they were too short and they survived:goodvibes.

Bephus said:
I have seen them say no to kids wearing thick-soled flip flops or platform shoes that obviously boosted them the allowed height. I have also seen them squish poofy hair. It is at the digression of the CM because it is a safety issue. Both of my kids have been turned away from rides because they were too short and they survived:goodvibes.

I know this. ;)

But there are lots of reports in the past that kids are occasionally asked to remove their shoes, which the PP claimed for a fact cannot be done.

What are their options when the child is clearly wearing height-boosting shoes?

Your post reminded me of when my youngest daughter was 40.0000001 inches tall. It was beyond stressful everytime we went to go on a ride that required a 40" min and to top it off, my daughter would "duck" everytime they asked her to stand under the measuring thingy. The way we fixed it was by buying her a pair of Minnie shoes...those suckers that have the 1 in heel.

This is ONLY my opinion but after reading Mesa's post I can't help but wonder if the fact that they were obviously "Disney bought shoes" that they may have been apprehensive about asking her to remove them even though they definitely have a raised heel.

One thing to keep in mind is that the CM is only doing their job. I read a thread over on stupidguesttricks.com about the things parents tried to do to get their kids on a ride they were too short to ride. IF YOU ARGUE with a CM you are really making life hard on them and they canNOT reverse their initial ruling. For you it's a ride...for them it could easily be their job.

BTW, this thread reminded me of a conversation I had with some of the management at Disney a while back. We were in MK and the crowds were super lite and there was a group of them talking, due to my attire they thought I was one of them but after they discovered their error we got a laugh out of it BUT I used the opportunity to ask them about the measuring issue. This was when my daughter was just a smidge over 40 in. I asked them why couldn't Disney offer a service where they premeasured a child upon park entrance and give them a wristband so they could then just go on a ride without the parent stressing about it. They told me that they had tried several different methods of doing this and that unruly parents had caused them to abandon them all. When they tried the wristband, parents would cut it off and afix it somehow to a child who was under height. So they tried handstamps, parents would attempt to wet it and transfer it to the under height child. They mentioned several other things they had tried as well...all to no avail. It's like everything else in life....the few ruin it for the many.

Thanks! I definitely understand the rules are safety based and important. I had thought there were some that were 42 inches, but I just went back through, and as others have said, it won't be an issue. She's clearly above 40 inches and not close to 44. She has known all along that she will be too short for a few things, and I just want to pull together the full list before we go so that we can minimize meltdowns over not being able to ride things. Truly, I think the things she is too short for would terrify her anyway - I don't even want to ride them, so I'll be glad to have an excuse to skip them and do something else with her.

alecshawn said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by mattsdragon

No, there is no wiggle room. If a CM feels that the child is too close they may ask them to take off their hat, take their hair down, or go barefoot.

The word "restriction" is used on purpose.

No, i know for a fact..the CM will NEVER make you go barefoot in the parks for a measurement. Waterparks yes...other one NO. They are not allowed.

sorry buddy. I have seen it happen multiple times

Posted from Disboards.com App for Android

My daughter is just slightly under 42 inches. Are they flexible at all, or should I prepare her in advance for not being able to ride things that have 42 inch restriction?

My niece is tall enough for all Disney rides, but this summer we took her to Cedar Point and we knew she would be able to do the 52" rides but weren't sure about the 54" ones. We had her wear her heely shoes and it helped and she was able to ride them all and no problems.

I would suggest a pair of non obvious shoes to make her taller. I remember seeing in 2011 a family taking their daughter through Space Mountain line and she had her date at BBB and I guess they didn't check her height out front or if they did they went by her hair being over the line, but inside they enforced it and she could not ride. I say they are pretty strict with the rule at Disney.

Most CMs literally shoot from the hip when it comes to height.. they know where the height stick falls on their own body - usually right around hip height - and they just look for anyone who falls below or in the questionable range.

I'm wondering how old these children are that are wanting to ride the hard core rides? My 3 year old grandson is right at 44" and the one that just turned 4 years old is 45.5". I wouldn't take either of them on the more intense rides. I wouldn't even take myself on the more intense rides. ;)

I would also be afraid to try to "boost" a child's height since I'm sure the restrictions are for safety reasons. Maybe the restraint in the ride wouldn't hold them properly?

I'm wondering how old these children are that are wanting to ride the hard core rides? My 3 year old grandson is right at 44" and the one that just turned 4 years old is 45.5". I wouldn't take either of them on the more intense rides. I wouldn't even take myself on the more intense rides. ;)

Those are some TALL boys for that age. My daughter who is almost 42" is almost 5 years old and average height for her age. And no, she really wouldn't want to ride the hard core rides if she saw them, but she doesn't like being told that she can't do what big brother can do. :)

My son who is 43.5 inches right now? He's 6 and will turn 7 in April. He's quite small for his age. He is also fearless--he's been going through the Birnbaum guide marking everything listed as "rough" or "scary" and saying "I TOTALLY want to do that!"

If I've got him at 43.5 inches in sock feet, he should be okay in 4 months in sneakers, right?

FortForever said:

I would also be afraid to try to "boost" a child's height since I'm sure the restrictions are for safety reasons. Maybe the restraint in the ride wouldn't hold them properly?

My ydd was tall enough by age 4 to do mission space so she did it and has been in love with it ever since....mission space orange that is! My younger son is nearly 7 and obsessed with riding EE. He has been tall enough for a couple years now. Neither my dh or I ride either ride so they just ride with siblings. There is no reason for them to be afraid of the rides.

Those are some TALL boys for that age. My daughter who is almost 42" is almost 5 years old and average height for her age. And no, she really wouldn't want to ride the hard core rides if she saw them, but she doesn't like being told that she can't do what big brother can do. :)

People do always remark that they are tall for their age. They are from two separate sets of parents so they seem normal height to me. Both of them are the older brothers so don't know they are missing anything yet. :)

I had planned to take them on Mission: Space. The green version because I don't want to deal with any puking. The "hard core" rides I was talking about are Space Mountain & Tower of Terror type things.

How strict are CMs with height restrictions
My daughter is just slightly under 42 inches. Are they flexible at all, or should I prepare her in advance for not being able to ride things that have 42 inch restriction?

It is for the safety of the child and to avoid a lawsuit; they are mostly very strict.

Very. Those restrictions are for the safety of the rider.

In our experience, they are very strict. And I think that's a good thing. I personally would not want to "trick" a CM to get my child on a ride that they are not supposed to be on.

I have a VERY tall 8 year old and a VERY short 6 year old (42.5 inches). In the 3 trips to WDW they have had, my 6yo has had to deal with not doing a lot of the rides, but we prepare her in advance that this is the case. On her first two trips she was still not even 40 inches tall! But our last trip in July, she finally hit 41.5 inches and was able to do all of the 40" rides...what an accomplishment!!! She was so excited and it was great seeing how happy that made her.

Now, we are going back in April and she was really hoping to be big enough for Space Mountain...we've told her, not so much, but probably next time!!! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter