• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How secure is the room safe?

jodim

Mouseketeer
We are staying at the POP & we're taking cash. Is the safe truly safe? How many people have the combination & access to our room? Or should we leave it in our car (or another option??)

Thanks.

Could you leave the cash in the bank and access w/an ATM card?

Otherwise, your room safe is safer than your car. It locks w/a key. It is the only key and if it is lost, you pay to have the safe drilled/lock replaced.

Also, consider Disney gift cards, pre-loaded Visa cards, travelers checks.

I would recommend using a Visa travelers check card. That is what we used when we went last year and it worked great. You use it like a debit card and you make your own pin. If it was lost or stolen your money is protected. I think it only cost around $4.00 from our credit union. You could always get 2 so then you and your significant other will both have one if you decide to go separate ways :thumbsup2

I have heard that those safes in the rooms do have another access area in the back that the staff can get into it. I have never had a problem with stuff being stolen from it because I've used it in the past.

The safes at the value resorts just have a key and are pretty small. I would think you would be better off using your ATM card and getting cash as you need it, or as the PP said getting like a Visa gift card you put the money on. You could do Disney dollars too if you plan to spend most of your money on-site. If you were in one of the resorts that has an actual safe you make the combination for, I would say you would be OK, but I would be a bit more nervous with the safes that just have the key.

The safes at the value resorts just have a key and are pretty small. I would think you would be better off using your ATM card and getting cash as you need it, or as the PP said getting like a Visa gift card you put the money on. You could do Disney dollars too if you plan to spend most of your money on-site. If you were in one of the resorts that has an actual safe you make the combination for, I would say you would be OK, but I would be a bit more nervous with the safes that just have the key.

Actually, the keyed safes are probably MORE secure. Getting into them without the key requires a locksmith. The safes where you set your own combination ALL have a bypass code that allows them to be unlocked (they have to, so that the next guest can use the safe again after the previous guest set a code).

Could you leave the cash in the bank and access w/an ATM card?

That was my thought originally, but my dh is strange and wants to take cash.

We have $650.00 in Disney Cards, which will pay for our tips (We're on ddp) and for our dd's trip to BBB and $50 souvie money per kid.

We will be mostly onsite, but we're staying at the Nick hotel 3 days before checking in at the POP. (Got a great rate!) We will probably stay there and maybe do some outlet mall shopping and hit the beach a few times during our trip. We want to go to dinner at a nice restaurant outside of the World (Probably a Seafood place with good Crab Legs & Lobster knowing my dh & kids).

I will be carrying our debit card, my Disney Rewards Visa, and as well as a company card for gas.

I thought about just bringing $1,000.00 cash... but not sure that will be enough. The kids wont spend that much since they didn't earn any additional (and I'm not giving them anymore) and I am not a huge shopper.

If you HAVE to bring cash NEVER leave it in a car.:scared1: or anything else of value within sight, that being said I have used the in room safes for over 20 yrs on Disney property and have never ever had anything missing from it

For reference, I have only used the safes at value and moderate resorts (I remember CBR having a key safe in 2006 but I may be wrong...) I haven't kept any money in the safes, but I've used them each time to store valuable jewelry/accessories/etc. I am definitely super paranoid about leaving my stuff, and I have never once had a problem! Just make sure to hang onto that key!! Have a wonderful trip!

I think safes in hotels are very secure - there are only select people at most hotels who have the over-ride codes. When we were in Hawaii last year, we accidentally locked our safe upon arrival and hadn't pre-programmed the code correctly. We were told that only 2 or 3 people had the code so we had to wait until one of those 3 could come to open the safe for us.....

That being said, I would choose the hotel safe over anything else - I personally don't leave anything in my car....too vulnerable I think. It's easy to break into a car, even with parking lots with security.

We always leave our extra cash and my netbook in the safe. We don't like to carry more than about $50 in cash, usually carry less. I didn't think the netbook would fit but it does. We've never had a problem with anything being taken from it however we've always stayed in the rooms that have a key to the safe.

We found it to be very secure...it just has one key, and we hid it very well. In fact, the kids (who are REALLY good searchers) tried to find it one day to get their gameboys out (trying to be self-sufficient, not sneaky), and they couldn't find it! Only dh and I knew where we hid it (and I won't share, b/c I want to use the same place next time!:rolleyes1), and I feel confident it's not somewhere any thief would look!

How about having the concierge apply some of it to your KTTW card? We do that with our travelers checks..it works really well. At the end of the week we just get cash back for what ever amt is left.

I use the safe always. Last August, when we entered the room the safe was opened with NO key and I had to wait for someone to come and put in a new lock and give me the key...As long as you keep you room door locked, you should have no problem..

I believe wholeheartedly that the safes are secure! I would recommend putting what you think you may use for tips onto your KTTW cards. You can always add more if you spent more than you thought or pay it before you check out w/ the cash. What a bummer should even $50 get misplaced when you go into a store or restaurant! We brought cash too, but used it through our KTTW cards.

No, no, no. Not cash in the room safe. If anything happens to it you have no proof that it ever existed.

Take what you need for the day, and take the rest of it to the manager to be deposited in the hotel's main safe. They will give you a receipt for what you deposit with them. This way if any of it disappears, you have proof that it was there, and you can get reimbursed while they investigate the theft.

No, no, no. Not cash in the room safe. If anything happens to it you have no proof that it ever existed.

Take what you need for the day, and take the rest of it to the manager to be deposited in the hotel's main safe. They will give you a receipt for what you deposit with them. This way if any of it disappears, you have proof that it was there, and you can get reimbursed while they investigate the theft.

That's a good idea! I didn't realize you could do that!

How about having the concierge apply some of it to your KTTW card? We do that with our travelers checks..it works really well. At the end of the week we just get cash back for what ever amt is left.

I was going to suggest that too. Works well!

I agree, very few problems are reported in regards to items stolen from safes inside cruise cabins. Leaving the amount with the concierge/purser. On the other hand, some travelers have reported thefts from safes at hotels in certain international destinations - It appears most reports (at least what you read in TripAdvisor) are reported in Spain, Canary Islands, Mexico, Caribbean Islands, and related.

I came across an interesting product that appears to be the only of its kind, it is a hotel safe lock. You place your own lock on the outside of the safe so it cannot be opened with a master key.

Again, I have never heard of any thefts from cruise ship room safes (I would imagine something has happened somewhere) and if their was a problem you would read about it hear - which it does not seem to have one report of any related problem.

But at least we now know of a unique product for hotels which may have this type of problem.

I have used the room safes every trip for cash, jewelry and meds, never had a problem(hope I did not just jinx myself):lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter