how safe is your stuff in the parks?

I used to be the trusting kind of person but last trip, I made a sign on the computer that had a cartoon monorail and the words "Mason's Monorail" to put on our stroller. I slipped it into one of those plastic page sleeves and zip tied it to our stroller. Somebody stole the sign out of the sleeve when we went to Epcot. There is no way I am leaving anything in the stroller anymore if people will stoop to stealing a paper sign.

We have never had anything taken ( knock on wood) but I would hide any valuables under the stroller in the net storage with maybe a blanket or jacket over it!

Saw a woman taing to security. Both her camera and video camera had been taken from her stroller. I would not take anything that I can't either carry onto a ride or that would fit into a purse/backack.

We've never had anything stolen. But, that being said, it's not worth it to risk it with valuables. We do take our camera with us on rides. We leave the diaper bag with extra clothes, snacks, diapers, etc, on the stroller in plain view and never had an issue. If someone took that stuff though, it's all easily replacable.

I do think things are less likely to be stolen at Disney because many of the stroller parking areas have CM's there. But less likely doesn't mean not at all.

...I do think things are less likely to be stolen at Disney because many of the stroller parking areas have CM's there. But less likely doesn't mean not at all.

But the CMs don't know who owns which stroller. And they wouldn't know if it was just a guest removing something from their own stroller.

I agree with the others. Either take it with you on the ride, or leave it in the hotel room.
Even if some small child happens upon it and picks it up, and their parents eventually realize they have it and take it to the lost and found, it will take a while for you to get it back. Not worth the hassle on vacation, in my opinion.

Even if almost every person that goes to Disney doesn't steal, it only takes one who does to make your vacation miserable, and the odds, sadly, aren't that good.

my daughter is determined to bring a dressed build a bear with her in the parks. obviously some of the time it would not be able to go on the rides and have to wait in her wheelchair. Or on a lounger at discovery cove. How likely is it that someone would take it if we left it unattended?

I never carry a tote that doesn't have a zipper. That way, I can close it up to further ensure that whatever is inside, will not fall out nor can anybody grab anything out of it either.
As far as discovery cove: I was concerned about this too. As we will have our expensive canon camera as well as a small, but expensive camcorder along at DC. I know things are unattended on a lounger if you are doing the do
Dolphin swim, as well as all the other stuff there is to do there and I thought it was a huge pain to always have to be running to the lockers they provide.
So, we rented a private cabana, which have locked lockers within the cabana. So, if we chose to not have our camera or camcorder with us all the time, they are safely locked away in our private cabana. I don't think I would do it any other way! The cost of the cabana wasn't that much, and worth it if it keeps your valuables safe!

Our pal Mickey was stolen from our stroller in about 3 minutes. That was how quickly we realized he'd been set back down in the back of the stroller while I grabbed gloves.

My partner and I were just discussing this during our recent trip. I couldn't believe the amount of people who left items that could be stolen in their strollers while on rides etc.

Maybe they are naive or I am cynical but I wouldn't leave anything of value or hard to replace in my stroller.

my daughter is determined to bring a dressed build a bear with her in the parks. obviously some of the time it would not be able to go on the rides and have to wait in her wheelchair. Or on a lounger at discovery cove. How likely is it that someone would take it if we left it unattended?

Would you leave it unattended for periods of time in a mall or other public place with lots of people and action around? I sure wouldn't. Neither is Disney any safer from thefts than any other place :confused3

I've seen all sorts of things left in strollers at Disney, and it makes me wonder if people totally turn off their brains while they are there. Sure, most don't get stolen, but it sure does happen. Don't leave anything behind that you would care about if it did get taken. ::yes::

I sat my refillable mug on the top of a fast pass machine while getting my fast pass, turned around went about 10 ft. remembered it, went to get it and it was gone - just that fast - never saw anyone close by - they left very quickly, or more likely quickly stuffed it into a bag and saw me looking for it :furious: Was totally my fault though!

It would most likely upset your dd very much to lose her bear, so I would not be bringing it into the parks, unless you are prepared to hang onto it every minute.

We are facing the same thing. 2yo DS has a panda bear (Harold) that goes EVERYWHERE with us and I'm sure the parks will be no different. He would be lost and completely devastated if something were to happen to Harold - and trust me, many other children have tried to take Harold because they think he is cute. As a result, we are always aware of Harold the Pandas whereabouts. He will be coming on all the rides with us and if need be, tucked into the backpack that will have the camera in it and also not leaving our side. While the build a bear could in theory be replaced, to me, it wouldn't be worth the tears if something were to happen to it. Better safe than sorry :)

WDW's property is bigger than my town. I don't go to neighborhoods in my town and leave my belongings. If I did so, people would almost certainly take them.

Why would WDW be any different?

There is no way I am leaving anything in the stroller anymore if people will stoop to stealing a paper sign.

Yep. The *second* thing taken from our stroller (at Disneyland, which is how we decided to not leave anything at WDW, but it was moot as DS never wanted to use the stroller so we had to carry our stuff with us) was a FREE balloon given to DS for some reason. Just a plain old balloon, nothing special. The way it was off of the stroller showed me that it didn't slip off, it wasn't pecked off by birds, it wasn't popped, etc etc, but it was carefully taken out from the plastic grippy thing they put on it. Worthless to ANYONE!

But the CMs don't know who owns which stroller. And they wouldn't know if it was just a guest removing something from their own stroller.

Ayep.

Our kids had a special bear when they were small.

As soon as I realized this was the VERY special bear, I purchased another one just like it to be saved in the closet.

I never told the kids. The extra bear came in handy once, many years later. The original was found, so the "Doppelganger" bear went back to the closet.

The teenagers insisted the Doppelganger bear be returned to the closet so the bears would not meet because it would cause a tear in the Time-Space continuum. :rotfl2: Teenagers!

Buy that extra now!

Take that bear for a ride! Take it on the rides with you. My DD took her Minnie everywhere. To the point it is in all of our photos from that trip as an extra family member. Have fun with it.

I wouldn't leave anything of value where a dishonest person can be dishonest. It's just the way things are when in a public place with 300,000 of your closest friends. :scratchin

My son become very attached to a toy cat when he was 2, so I bought him an extra just in case Mr. Kitty was lost. I didn't pick a good hiding place for the extra, so then my son was very attached to two identical toy cats. We had to carry both cats everywhere we went for about a year and a half. So be careful if you buy a double to hide it well!

Along the same lines, has anyone ever heard of strollers being stolen? We are planning to bring our own BOB stroller and I'm somewhat nervous leaving it unattended even with no valuables in it. Just wondering if stroller theft is common...

Along the same lines, has anyone ever heard of strollers being stolen? We are planning to bring our own BOB stroller and I'm somewhat nervous leaving it unattended even with no valuables in it. Just wondering if stroller theft is common...

I wouldn't say it is common, but it does happen. You can always buy a lock and lock the back wheels together. You just can't lock your stroller TO anything.

I wouldn't say it is common, but it does happen. You can always buy a lock and lock the back wheels together. You just can't lock your stroller TO anything.

We had contemplated a lock. I didn't realize you couldn't lock your stroller to something. Is this a Disney rule? Thanks for the heads-up.

I wouldn't bring the bear into the parks, period! All it takes is one second to put it down and forget, and the bear is lost! There is so much to see and do at Disney it is easy to get distracted, and I'd hate for a beloved stuffy to go missing.

When we were little my brother had a stuffed Copper (from fox and the hound), and I swear we spent half our lives searching for that silly dog! It was left at the bank, at the library, in parking lots, all traumatic for my little brother. Save yourself the grief, leave the bear in the hotel!

We had contemplated a lock. I didn't realize you couldn't lock your stroller to something. Is this a Disney rule? Thanks for the heads-up.

Yes. CMs will re-organize stroller parking, so they need to be able to move the strollers. If you lock your stroller to anything, they will cut either the lock or your stroller so your stroller can be moved.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter