How necessary are reservations?

WrenNCuckoos

Earning My Ears
We're spending 15 nights at Disney in February, so I've still got lots of time to plan. We're getting the DDP, since it's free for Brits then.

Do I need to book all of the table service meals, or is it possible to just walk in sometimes? I know I'll need to book dinner shows and character meals, and I'm thinking of booking a Fantasmic package, but after those we still have some ts credits leftover. Can I realistically just use those as we go along?

Also, while I'm asking questions, how many character meals is too many? My kids will be 4 and 6 when we're there, and we're spending the first week with my mom, stepfather and grandmother and the second with my dad, stepmom and somewhere between 0 and 3 of my younger sisters. Another sister and her husband may make it part of the time, but it's unclear now. If all goes well my sister, her husband and her son (who will be 5) will be there for a week too, but we're not sure which one. Obviously all of my crazy relatives will want to do at least one character meal with the kids, so the real question is are the kids likely to get sick of character meals?

I am not sure about your kids but mine would not eat more than a bite or two at character meals. They were normally great eaters and 15 minutes after leaving the restaurant they were starving. We found it disruptive to a meal. We were afraid to fill plates so we wouldn't miss any visitors to our table. And if you did get a plate it got cold while you were taking a million pictures. I don't regret doing it because I have wonderful photos that I treasure. I just would not make a ressie for one every day of your trip like we did that first time. Even though the kids prices are much cheaper it is still too much money for the little they eat. I would pick a couple of meals featuring the kids favorites and enjoy their sweet little faces. My son was very nervous (and we started at Crystal Palace with his faves). By the end of the week he was all over them.

Part of it will depend on when in Feb you are going. The first 2 weeks are pretty slow, but the second two weeks start to pick up as northern US schools start having winter breaks. Also this year, Mardi Gras (or Fat Tuesday at least) falls in the 3rd week of Feb, and many southern schools give several days to a full week off (I believe that AL is off for that whole week, at least I know that Mobile is).

So, with that all said, it's a good idea to make reservations for places you know you want to go to. Beyond that, expect to be turned away at any popular location and most locations within a park without them. It's possible, and there are stories aplenty of people getting in without them, but it's always better to be safe than sorry, especially when you're on a dining plan and especially if you may have a larger group than 3-4 at the restaurant.

As far as how many character meals is too many? It varies. For my solo trips (well, half solo half with Mom), 1 or 2 would pretty much be my limit. My 2009 trip where I took my friend and her then 2 1/2 year old little girl, I wouldn't have minded doing 1 or 2 more than the 5 we did :p.

In addition to number of people in your party, or willingness to split-up families, weekends are usually busier than weekdays. Also, there are some reservations that you really must make, regardless of time of year or season. Cinderella's Royal Table (CRT) is one of those. There are a few other character meals that are difficult to walk up to.

I don't think your kids will get sick of character meals if you scatter them throughout your stay and vary the characters at the meals you choose.

If you choose to arrive at WDW without ADRs for all of your TS credits, all is not lost. Some restaurants never fill up, not because the food or service is bad, but just because they are off the beaten path or perhaps because they lack the oooh aaah factor that makes some locations whose food is merely mediocre quite popular with the masses. Check with the resort concierge desk for open reservations, or call the reservation line yourself, or use one of the smartphone apps that check for availability.

If you don't want to make all of your ADRs ahead of time, that is fine. You can try calling the day of and somtimes snag a great one. However, you will need to be very flexible, in both where you eat and what time you eat. For example, if you are in the Magic Kingdom the closest restaurant with an opening may be at the Contemporary resort. Or all the way over at Epcot.

Also, be aware that if you cannot make ADRs or cannot get in to any sit down meal, you will simply loose those credits. Disney will not refund you any money.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter